Chapter 23

We Belong Together

"A secretary?" Jongdae asked in an incredulously voice. "You're a ing secretary?"

Minseok stopped what he was stirring in the pot and looked at Jongdae with a questioned look. He blinked for a several times, trying to understand why Jongdae is creating a fuss about it, before nodding at his question.

"For goodness' sake, Minseok, are you this dumb?" he screeched. "You graduated as an engineer in a Tsinghua University. You have excellent grades and an astounding recommendation from our professors. And, you just let yourself become a secretary to Luhan?"

Already used to Jongdae's outburst, Minseok calmly turned off the stove and pour the soup in a container that he will bring to Sehun in the hospital later. The boy is already strong enough to whine for a homemade cook from Minseok. And, he doesn't have the heart to decline Sehun's wish even though he is tired from work.

"I don't have any choice, Jongdae." he started as he placed the pot on the sink. "It's either become a secretary to a spoiled heir or be jobless and let Sehun starve."

His friend didn't answer back, instead, he stared at Minseok for a long time, trying to decipher what Minseok was saying. With a sigh, the elder sat on the chair before Jongdae and talked.

"I'm doing this for Sehun. I'm desperate to get a job. It doesn't matter if I will work as a software engineer or a janitor. I need a job to sustain Sehun's needs." Minseok confessed.

Shame burned Jongdae's face when his friend tell that. How can he understand a parent's feeling for his child? He is still single, enjoying the freedom of being a man of himself. He doesn't have a kid to take care but only himself. Smiling ruefully, Jongdae reached for his friend's hand.

"I'm sorry. I was just shocked that you got a mere job. I'm not degrading a job as a secretary. It's just that, all your hardwork and pains during our college days were wasted because of the circumstances."

Minseok stayed silent.

"Well, atleast, I got Sehun. I don't care anymore of the time I wasted in college. I'm contented to have my son to myself."

"I really don't get you." Jongdae shook his head. "You're chasing trouble in every choice you choose."

"You're wrong." Minseok said as he put the container in a bag.  "I was born with trouble and problems."

 

 

After the conversation with Jongdae, Minseok head to the hospital with the lunchbox on hand and a smile on his face. He was eager to see his hyper son, probably jumping on his bed and driving the nurses to insanity. A chuckle erupted from his lips before walking in the hallway that will lead him to Sehun's room. The hospital is quiet at this hour, only the sounds of the rushed footsteps of the nurses can be heard. The patients are peacefully sleeping on their bed. Knowing his son who sleep like a log in a quiet place, Minseok was expecting his son sleeping like an angel, his mind in dreamland.

Imagine his surprise when he heard giggles from the other room. He glanced at his watch, wondering if Kyungsoo and Jongin have visited his son at this early hour. But judging by the couple's way of sleeping, he doubt that they will bother themselves to visit Sehun. Panic started to rise in him. He quickly pushed the door open, only to reveal his son clutching a deer plushie while giggling with Luhan. 

Both men were shocked by seeing each other that they froze on their spot, staring at each other's eyes. Unlike the two, Sehun let out a high-pitched squeak of Daddy before he started to bounce out of his bed. Good thing, Luhan caught him or else, Sehun will be spending another week in the hospital. Minseok quickly snapped out of his thoughts to welcome his son, pushing the thought away that his son is spending his time with his other father.

"Why are you here?" Minseok asked gently as he ushered the little boy back to his bed.

"Visiting Sehun," Luhan answered before lifting the toddler, making the boy giggle, and laying him on his bed.

"No. I mean, why?" Minseok asked, his brows furrowed. "Why do you have to visit Sehun? You can go straight to the office and probably, start working about the new project that the technical department presented."

A gurgle of laughter made way out of Sehun's little mouth when Luhan danced his fingers along the child's tummy. It was an endearing sight but Minseok snapped out of the picture to gain his son's attention.

"Baby," Minseok called, successfully diverting Sehun from Luhan. "Do you miss our house?"

Luhan almost cooes at the sight of the toddler pouting as he nods at his father's questions. "Sehunnie wants to sleep on my bed. I miss my Mr. Softy."

A pout from Minseok was the response from the toddler's innocent answer, almost making Luhan squirmed on his seat because goodness, this family is too cute for him.

"You only miss Mr. Softy?" Minseok asked. "Didn't you miss Daddy?"

A gasp came from the boy before he hugged his father's torso while chanting i miss my daddy too all over again. Luhan had to looked away from the two before he can do anything stupid that might enrage the man he was trying to please.

"Daddy talked to the doctor. He told me that Sehunnie can go back home if he will sleep and listen to the nurse like a good boy." his father said. "Now, Sehun, do you want to go back home?"

A loud yes was heard from the toddler before he hurriedly lied on his bed and pulled the covers on him. He shut his eyes closed and let out a fake snore, making the two men chuckled at his antics. Knowing his son too well, Minseok started to rub his son's body, helping the boy to go to sleep. Dropping a kiss on the toddler's forehead, Minseok forgot that the man he was trying to avoid was near him and it is dangerous to let his guard down.

"Do you always kiss him to sleep?" Luhan asked, making the other man shocked at his presence.

Quickly snapping out his antics, Minseok hesistantly nodded before dropping his gaze to his son again. It will be not a good decision to stare at Luhan's brown eyes. He might do something stupid and it might cause him his life.

A smile grazed on the Chinese's lips before he took Sehun's other hand and rubbed his thumb over the little hand. "Sehun is a good boy. He listened to his father and doesn't cause troube too much."

A snort was heard from Minseok. Luhan turned to him and raised an eyebrow at the other man.

"Doesn't cause trouble too much? Ohh please, this boy is as naughty as any kid. He scattered his toys. He runs off when you called him. He asked you questions every second. He doesn't eat anything other than bananas and yoghurts. The worst, he hides when it is time for bath." Minseok exclaimed.

At Minseok's outburst, Luhan let out a chuckle before gazing at the latter. "Hey, come on, he is a child. Of course, he will be like. At his age, he is curious about everything. And, if he doesn't do what you told him, you could bribe him with sweets or stories."

"Bribing a child with sweets will cause them toothache." Minseok pointed out.

"Hmm, well, bribe him with your stories." Luhan said with a chuckle, his eyes were shining. "I always love your stories, Minseok. I remember listening to one when I used to sleep with..."

The topic is slowly going down to a sensitive topic. Luhan quickly looked away from the other while Minseok just stared at his son, focusing his attention to rubbing him to sleep. The silence lasted only for a minute before Luhan brought up a question.

"Who is Mr. Softy?" he asked.

A laugh was heard from Minseok before turning to Luhan. "It was Sehun's favorite blanket. He was inseparable with that blanket and it was difficult to wash that cloth without him crying."

Luhan has his mouth wide open because of the information. Who would have thought Sehun has a favorite blanket just like him having a favorite pillow? A smile came out from his face, thinking of their similarity.

"Did you buy it for him?" Luhan asked, his eyes are so beautiful that Minseok has to tear his gaze away.

"No. Kyungsoo knitted it for him." a bashful answer came out from his mouth. Minseok cursed himself for acting like a shy schoolgirl talking to her crush for the first time.

"Why don't you knit it for him?" the question flew out of Luhan's lips, never letting silence have a way between them.

"Ohh please, you know I don't knit. I can't even touch a needle--"

"Without getting prick." Luhan finished for him. His eyes turned into crescents as he smiled fondly at Minseok.

The smile is causing him to blush. The topic is once again going down to their past. Damn it, Minseok. This guy is your boss, your ex-lover, your son's father and your death. Panicking, Minseok doesn't have the right mind to change the topic. He was too preoccupied taming his wild heartbeat and calming the blush coloring his cheeks.

A ring was suddenly heard from the quiet room, completely crushing the silence and the heavy atmosphere. At once, Luhan's smile was wiped out of his face and was replaced with a frown to check who is the caller- or the one who had the decency to ruin his time with Minseok. With a sigh, he glanced at Minseok in apology before turning his back to answer the call.

Unlike the other, Minseok was relieved by the distraction. He mentally thanked the caller, giving him enough time to compose himself. He almost crumbles into dust a while ago if not for the call. After a few seconds, Luhan ended the call and turned to him with a smile.

"We need to go to work now, Minseok." he sweetly said, making the father get goosebumps. "I'll drive you there."

 

 

Kyungsoo was grumbling. And grumbling. Little curses meant for Jongin left his lips while his eyes drooped into sleepiness. Glancing at his partner, Jongin let out an amused laugh as he witnessed his lover fighting off the drowsiness plaguing him. Insulted and annoyed how his husband , Kyungsoo fought his sleepiness and shot his husband a glare.

"How dare you laugh?" he shrieked as he landed a punch on his husband's shoulder. "You woke me up at this early morning just to have a check-up. You could have wake me up later!"

A chuckle was first heard from Jongin before explaining, "Sorry, Soo. The hospital will be crowded later and I knew you don't like waiting. Plus, we could get to visit Sehun. It's almost a week since we last saw him."

Another grumble escaped from Kyungsoo's lips before focusing himself in walking. But, he haven't yet taken a step when Jongin suddenly pushed in a corner, making him to trip and almost fall. He was about to explode in anger when his husband placed a hand over his mouth with a serious gaze. Knowing this is a serious situation, not a let me kiss you situation, Kyungsoo nodded at his husband before joining his husband peering on the corner to get a glimpse on the hallway.

To say they were surprise is an understatement, Kyungsoo almost lost his breath and Jongin almost lost his eyes when they witnessed a scene infront of them. Infront of Sehun's room is no other than Minseok with someone he was not supposed to be with, Luhan. The two were in a conversation, a smile thrown here and there, before they walked side by side while little talks and carefree smile escaped their lips. Jongin had to pressed themselves farther to the corner as the two men walked passed them, completely oblivious.

Once the two were out of their vicinity, Jongin and Kyungsoo came out from their lair, only to stare at the direction where the Luhan and Minseok had gone too. There were questions floating on their minds as they stood on their spot.

"Why is Minseok with Luhan?"

"Isn't that Sehun's room? Why is Luhan there?"

"Did Minseok tell the truth to Luhan?"

"Are they back together now?"

"Why would they? Do the Lu's accept Minseok now?"

"What kind of sorcery is this? Is this some kind of a sick joke? Is Minseok-hyung alright? Did he forget that that man had lead him to death, only to left him there?" Kyungsoo erupted, his head already hurting from such questions. Jongin glanced at his husband for a second before rubbing the pregnant man's shoulder to calm him down. "What did Luhan do? Did he hypnotize Minseok? Is he planning something again?"

"Calm down, Kyungsoo. You're overthinking too much. It might lead you to stress and you will not want that." the moody man said as he rubbed his temples.

"Why are you so calm anyway?" Kyungsoo spat. "Aren't you afraid of what Luhan will do to our friend?"

"Yes, Luhan did a horrible job of protecting Minseok before." Jongin said. "But, that doesn't mean he doesn't love the other. He is an heir. There are too many burdens piled up on his back. And judging by his personality, I bet he has a horrible way of handling those things."

"What are you talking about?"

Jongin turned to Kyungsoo with a smile before pinching his nose. "You have too much questions, my dear." he said with a chuckle. "Anyway, I think Luhan means no harm to Minseok. If you stare at his eyes while they talk, it is clear he loves Minseok so much. There is regret and hidden adoration in his eyes. And judging by the way Minseok smiles at him, it is also as clear as diamond that he still loves the other. They are trying to suppress themselves, afraid that they might hurt themselves once again."

Kyungsoo let out a sigh as he listened to his husband's explanation. Although he hates to admit that it is actually true, it was clear the two are still inlove with each other. Truth be told, he really wanted them to make up and become a family. Sehun wanted to have another dad and only Luhan could fulfilled it. But the horror of the past had crushed that future. It will be impossible for them to have a peaceful family.

"I don't want them to make up." Kyungsoo confessed, making Jongin turned to him in confusion. "But after Sehun was born and watching that kid grew up asking for another father, I found myself thinking that only Luhan could fulfill Sehun's wish. But, it will not be an easy work. Aside from the Lu's hatred for Minseok, Luhan is tied down by marriage with Yoona. The people loves them so much that they protect and worship this loveless couple. Minseok and Sehun will be living in hell if Luhan decided to chose them."

Jongin was speechless. Of course. How could he think as simple as that? The situation is different from now. Indeed, Luhan can disobey his parents and stood up from them. But, standing up infront of the people will be not as easy as that. The Lu's did a good job of building walls around their future, not letting Minseok had a way inside. They knew that giving the power to Luhan will make their son stood up and disobey them. But, by marrying Luhan to a famous heiress will seal their power and authority to the two.

"What a cruel and cunning people," Jongin whispered.

"Yes, indeed." Kyungsoo said. "A happy ending can never be given to them. They don't belong together," he whispered sadly.

 

 

It was his first photoshoot for the company so he gets up early, ate breakfast, washed himself and styled his hair before kicking his twin brother on the stomach for sleeping for five days straight. A curse was thrown at his way before he closed the door with a bang and scurried to his car before his twin brother get him and kill him.

Junmyeon was never nervous in any photoshoot. Even though he had to take a picture of the English royal couple, he never had his heartbeat raced and his breathing hard. He was calm and professional as he clicked his camera, finding the perfect angle and lightning to bring the beauty out of the people infront of him. For some reason, as he makes his way down the hall in the company, he found himself calming his heartbeat and stopping in a corner to rub his anxiety away.

Why do I have to feel nervousness today? Junmyeon asked himself.

After a minute of exhaling and thumping his head on the wall in which he got attention by the way, he calmly walked to the elevator and pressed the up arrow. He was chanting his motto in his mind, bringing a smile on his face as he chanted it out loud inside his mind. He planned to pay Sehun a visit and feed him gummy bears. He also planned to drag his brother out of the house and spend some quality time with him. He also planned to give Kyungsoo and Jongin a present for their little one later. After he survived a day in this company without seeing his past, he will destress by spending time with his friends.

But, all those confidence, plans and encouraging chants in his mind crumbled into dust when the elevator opened before him. There, infront of him, is his past with a low-cut shirt, letting Junmyeon had a peek on those delicious collarbones, reading something in the paper in his hands. Upon realizing that he was being stared at, Yixing brought his face up and gave Junmyeon a smile before scooting in the corner to let Junmyeon inside.

His mind tells him no with the voice of his twin brother. But, his body has this kind of response of disobeying his mind whenever it hears his brother's voice. And, voila, he is alone in the elevator with his past crush reading something on the paper. 

Okay, Junmyeon. Calm down. Exhale that anxiety away. And, don't move. Don't even glance at his oh-so delicious mlky collarbones and smooth skin. Oh gosh if I can just take a peek of those ni--

"Is there something bothering you, Mister?" Yixing asked, his brows furrowed adorably. And, Junmyeon had to curse himself for finding that adorable.

Junmyeon just shook and returned to face the elevator door. He instead focused his eyes on the numbers changing above the door, amusing himself how those numbers has the same numbers in his calculator. The number 7 changes to number 8 and changes to 9 and changes to 10 as Junmyeon counted how many eyelashes Yixing have.

"70," Junmyeon whispered out of nowhere. Okay, maybe, that is not a whisper since Yixing turned his attention to him a confused expression on his face.

"Pardon?"

"You have 70 eyelashes." Junmyeon said out of blue. "Boy, they are so lucky to become your eyelashes."

There was silence before Yixing finally responded. "Uhm, they say thank you."

Eyelashes don't talk. And, neither should you, Junmyeon said to himself as he mentally beat himself. He shot the confused man another smile. Think of a distraction quick! Junmyeon took the DSLR hanging on his neck and tried to focus on the pictures he had captured a week ago. There was a butterfly resting on the leaf, there was a baby smiling at him, there was Sehun reaching for the camera and there was his twin brother in a hideous makeup. Ohh, since when did I have a shot of someone's collarbone?

"I don't mean to be rude," Yixing said. "But, you should ask someone first before you take them a picture?"

Okay, that is rude and definitely creepy, Junmyeon. He was about to defend himself and apologize for his weird behaviour when the a light ding was heard from the elevator. 

"This is where should I get off now," Yixing said with a calm tone as if he was not been harassed by the photographer. "No need to apologize by the way. Just remember what I told you so you will not be in trouble." he said before he disappeared on Junmyeon's sight.

A smile appeared on his face as he stared at the closed doors. He glanced down at the shot of Yixing's sideview in his camera before giggling all by himself.

"That's what you first told me when we first saw each other," Junmyeon whispered to the image.

 

 

"Hey, I heard that the Big Boss and you arrived at the office together," Baekhyun said when they finally sat down for a lunch. "Is there so--"

"Is that the reason why people are staring at me like I did something wrong?" Minseok cut him off with a question. Baekhyun diverted his attention to his friend before glancing around the office canteen. Indeed, all of their co-workers are staring at them with curious gazes and questioned whispers. "And, no, Baekhyun. There is nothing between us. Just a boss and his secretary discussing about work." Minseok purposely said in a loud voice.

At once, the gazes thrown at him decreased upon hearing his explanation. Minseook let out a sigh of relief as he felt the tension easing out of the canteen. He picked up the spoon laid out on his tray before scooping on the soup in his bowl. Baekhyun stayed quiet for a minute, munching his food as he glanced out of nowhere. It was a peaceful meal before Baekhyun spoke again.

"Well, better be careful with your relationship with Mr. Lu." Baekhyun said in a whisper that Minseok almost failed to hear.

"Excuse me?" the other asked, shocked by his friend's sudden seriousness.

"I know that Mr. Lu is a good-looking man with undeniable handsome charms. He can sweep you on your feet with his smiles and polite words."

He already did that. I even got a son from him with that, Minseok thought as he stabbed the pork on his plate. "I'm not going to fall for him," he whispered when he sensed the meaning of the sentence.

"I'm not afraid of that, Minseok." Baekhyun said. "I'm afraid of what the people will do to you. Mr. Lu is married with Miss Yoona, the powerful heiress of Korea. Their marriage has a huge effect with the people in their countries. They were praised and worshipped as if they were a god and a goddess. Heck, people even prayed for Yoona to bear a child. They were the royal couple of Asia."

"I know." Minseok said, already tired of the words about the 'perfect' couple. "I'm not going to ruin them. I'm just doing my work."

"We don't know what will happen in the future, Minseok. Anything can happen." Baekhyun said darkly as if accusing him doing a crime.

Minseok put his spoon down with a clank before looking at his officemate with a serious look. "Baekhyun, I have a son. I love my son more than anything in this world. Loving a man is already out of my plan because love was never kind to me."

At once, the darkness in Baekhyun's eyes started to lighten up. He realized what a great he is for pushing the accusation to Minseok's face. Reaching for the other's hand, Baekhyun gave him an apologetic look and squeezed it tight.

"I'm sorry. I'm just worried, okay?" he said. "I just want you out of the people's eyes. They can do anything unimaginable to you."

Oh believe me. I've went through a lot of unimaginable things in my life, Minseok thought before giving Baekhyun a smile.

They continued their meal in silence, letting words and laughs out once in a while. After spending an awkward meal with Baekhyun, Minseok bid him a goodbye before going back to his office. Luhan will be back in ten minutes and he needed to prepare the documents and programs sent to him by the departments that need Luhan's opinion. He was surprised when he spotted five men sitting on the sofa with an intimidating look on their faces. 

In fright, Minseok ran to them and gave them a bow.

"I apologize for not greeting you upon your arrival, Misters. Mr. Lu was having his lunch break in a cafe nearby. I'm his secretary. Do you have a meeting with Mr. Lu?" Minseok asked, trying his best to calm down under the stare of the men.

"Hey! Hey! Hey! Stop staring at the poor boy like that!" a voice called out.

Minseok turned to the person walking towards them and casted him a look. The man walked as if he owned the company by himself. He was wearing a furry red coat and Minseok had to stopped his brow arching with man's fashion sense. The man stopped infront of the men and started to command orders at them, making those men scurried off in hurry.

"Sorry for letting my men scare you. They tend to do that whenever I'm not around." The man said as he stared at the backs of his scurrying men. "Those slaves have the decency to shot an innocent man a glare, huh?"

"I think you should not call them slaves, Mister." Minseok pointed out, making the man stared at him in bewildered.

"I'm Kim Heechul, the famous programmer in this country. Those are my men so I can call them anything I want." he said in a challenging tone.

"I once learned in my Biology class in my university that people have the same structure of skeleton inside of them." Minseok suddenly recited out of blue.

"So?" Heechul asked with a brow raised up.

"So, it means that you, Mr. Kim Heechul, and them, your bodyguards, were given the same skeleton. Under your fancy red coat and their boring suits, all of you are the same no matter what position you have. So, you don't have the right to call them names like that." Minseok said in a serious tone. He had enough of having rich bastards mocking the unfortunate people. 

The glare that Heechul gave him suddenly woke Minseok up with a slap. This man is the person that Luhan will have a meeting with. The company needs this Heechul's intelligence of making a program for their designed processors. Minseok suddenly wanted to kneel before this great Kim Heechul and asked for his mercy to forgive him. Before his knees could even bend, a boisterous laugh was heard from the other man, making Minseok jump in surprise.

"Wow, you have a nice way of defending people's rights." he said as he laughed more. "I was joking. Those men even called me gay when I'm not around so I just get back to them. You're one amusing fellow,"

A sigh of relief escaped from Minseok's lips before he felt a hand enclosed on his.

"What is the name of this interesting fellow, by the way?" Heechul asked with a smile.

A sweet smile was given to him as Minseok answered his question, "I'm Oh Xiumin, Sir. I--"

"He's my secretary," a voice suddenly cut his sentence.

Both men turned to the direction of the voice, only to discover Luhan walking towards them with an unreadable expression on his face. He has his arms crossed and his intimidating aura covering the cold hallway yet Heechul greeted him with a laugh and a greeting.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Lu Han. I was just enjoying a conversation with your secretary here. You didn't tell me you have a new and amusing secretary." Heechul said with a laugh.

Judging by Luhan's mood, Minseok was sure that the man is not in the mood of laughing with Heechul's jokes. Afraid that Luhan's behaviour will be that cause of the downfall of an agreement, Minseok took it to himself to entertain the famous programmer so that everything will end well. Who knows, maybe he could get a raise from his boss when the deal was signed.

"So, Mr. Kim Heechul, would you like some coffee or tea?" Minseok asked.

"Which one do you make good?" Heechul asked, completely pleased by his politeness.

"I make both of those good." he answered.

A laugh was once again heard before Heechul patted his shoulder. "Well, make me a good coffee that can make me say oh xiumin!" he joked.

It was a ual innuendo and Minseok was so used of that joke after hearing that from Baekhyun a couple of times. He was about to speak to Heechul when Luhan beats him to it. Luhan has a smile on his face as he put an hand on Heechul's right shoulder.

"Why don't you wait for your coffee inside my office?" Luhan asked before giving a hard squeeze on the other's shoulders. A faint crack sound was heard from Heechul's shoulders before Luhan made way to his office with a calm breathing. Both Minseok and Heechul has their eyes wide opened as they stared at the man walking towards his office.

"Do you want me to use for that?"

"Minseok! Coffee please!" Luhan's furious order made the two frozen men scumpering to the angry boss inside.

 


author's note:

/gasps for air/ IM ALIVE! /started to cough for air/
wait! before you throw those rotten tomatoes at me, please hear me out.
/cries/ you see, i was so depressed for receiving bad grades for christmas.
i was so disappointed because i focused on my studies, even closing down my
account here in aff to focus. but, all efforts were wasted. feel my pain, guys!
/CRIES HARDER/
anyway, here's an apology update for making you all wait. wish me goodluck for
the upcoming term /sighs/
AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! WRITE A GOOD BOOK FOR 2015! :D
page 3 of 365.