Final

Shining Just For You

IDK ABOUT KOREA AND STUFF IN SEOUL SO EXCUSE ANY INACCURACY. Enjoy :)  


Tao ignored the other members questioning where he was going as he opened the door the their dorm and left, jacket and phone in hand. He stepped out int to the cold air, putting on his jacket and stuffing his hands into his pockets. Pulling his hood over his head, Tao began walking to his destination, following the same routine that he's done every day since he came to Korea.
Tao really hated living in Seoul sometimes. Back in his hometown, Tao would gaze up at the sky, looking at the stars and how they would sparkle, illuminating the night sky as best as they kid. He's always had an obsession with the tiny lights. Ever since he was a little kid, he would sneak outside of his room and go lay down in his backyard, a pillow and blanket the only thing he brought with him.
In Seoul, however, he couldn't see the things that made him happy. There were too many artificial lights stealing the glam from the stars. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't spot any and he would curse the city for ruining such a precious sight.
He kept walking, avoiding people in fear that someone would recognize him and he would have to go back home. He didn't want anyone to follow him and find out where he would go all of these nights. His stomach growled and he regretted skipping out on dinner, but he had a schedule and he wasn't going to ruin that just because the rest of the members decided to eat later than usual. People began thinning out and soon enough Tao found himself alone. He pulled out his earphones and turned the music on, enjoying the soundtrack along with the beautiful night.
An old house was up ahead and Tao began walking faster. When he reached the door, he stepped inside and used his phone to light up the path in front of him. He smiled, looking at the supplies in front of him. Tao sat down in the spot where he left off last time, picked up a brush, and began working.
Tao had been coming to this old room for a few months now. It had started when he was feeling especially nostalgic and he couldn't handle the city life at the moment. He tried to confide in s, but they didn't understand his love for stars so he left the apartment in a rage, not knowing where he was going. He was fuming, glaring at anyone who decided to come close to him and he found himself walking far away from the buildings causing the night sky to lose its shine. There was an abandoned town not far from Seoul and he was glad for the lack of lights. It calmed him. Tao had found an empty room and sat in there, looking out the window at the few stars that had managed to make themselves seen. While in the room, he had knocked over something and found the place filled with tons of art supplies. It was then that Tao got the bright idea to paint his own starry sky.
It took many failed attempts and a bunch of frustration before Tao finally painted a presentable looking star. Following that design, he painted the rest of the room, filling every space with stars.
He still wasn't done, despite how many times he had been coming here. There were still times that he would mess up, causing him to paint over the failed drawing and start a new one. He had ran out of paint and had to go buy some more. Tao had to sneak around, hiding his secret from the members because none of them would get why he was doing this.
They're just stars, Tao.
He could already hear them, telling him he was being foolish. Tao loved them and he knew that they loved him, but sometimes they would remember that he was still young and they would treat him accordingly. They would never understand him completely. Not even Yifan, who he loved with everything that he had. His knew his boyfriend loved him, but he was scared of what he might say when he found out.
He began singing, the sound of his voice filling the quiet room as he carefully added some more paint to his brush, afraid that too much would ruin his work. He had done this so many times before that he could do it in his sleep and soon he found himself distracted.
He didn't notice the footsteps getting closer to him as his singing continued, mandarin lyrics filling his ears. He didn't notice the soft breathing of the person behind him, getting closer and closer.
Maybe Tao wouldn't have been so scared when he felt a hand on his shoulder if he knew that he was being followed all the way from his dorm.
Tao screamed, arms flying in all directions as he tried to defend himself, getting as far away from the person who touched him as possible.
“Tao! Tao, it's me! Chanyeol!”
Tao stopped flailing and squinted his eyes, adjusting his vision to the dark. He saw a tall figure in front of him, hands out and ready to protect himself from anymore of Tao's attacks.
“Chanyeol? What are you doing here?”
“I was worried. You seemed upset when you left and I didn't want you to be alone. I didn't-I was just trying to help.”
Tao tried to remind himself that it wasn't Chanyeol's fault and that he shouldn't be angry with him. It was his own careless mistake for not noticing that the giant was following him. He still couldn't stop the rage bubbling up inside of him. “You shouldn't have come.”
“What? Tao-”
“Are you just going to make fun of me? Now that you found out my secret, are you going to tell everyone?”
Chanyeol stepped closer, eyebrows furrowed together. “I'm not going to do that. Why would you think that?”
Tao grew frustrated and threw his brush on the floor. “You guys don't take me seriously. I'm just a kid to you. That's all I've ever been.”
“Tao, that's not true. Why do you come here? What is all this?” Chanyeol asked, gesturing at the mural around them.
“It's none of your ing business.” Tao spat out. Chanyeol eyes widened at the younger boys language, not used to hearing him talk that way.
“Tao, talk to me. I want to know.”
“Well, I'm not going to ing tell you! So just leave!”
“Tao-”
“No, Chanyeol. Just go. Get out of here. Go back to the dorm.” Tao picked up his paintbrush and went back to the spot his was working on before he was interrupted. “Don't tell anyone, okay? I don't need anyone thinking I'm more immature than already do.” Chanyeol stepped closer and this time Tao heard him. “Why don't you just ing leave!” He yelled while turning around, the paint from his brush splattering across Chanyeol's face. Chanyeol stepped back, hands flying up to his face. Tao felt himself wanting to die for hurting the usually happy boy.
“Tao, I don't know what this is and why you come here, but I want you to know that I don't think of you the way you that you think. I won't tell the other members.” Chanyeol wiped the paint off his face but he didn't get all of it. “Don't come home too late.”
Chanyeol left and Tao sat there, suddenly not in the mood to paint his bright stars.


***

Tao went home late that night and a few of the members were still awake. Yifan was furious. He ran up to Tao, grabbing him by the wrists and demanding he tell him where he was. Tao simply shrugged out of Yifan's grasp. He saw the pained look on Yifan's face but swallowed his guilt and went to his room. Tao closed the door behind him, slipping out of his clothes and putting on sweats. His room was warm enough where he didn't have to put on a shirt to keep warm.
Tao went over to his window and looked outside. He didn't expect to see any stars that night but was still disappointed when he saw nothing but dark blue stretching everywhere up above him. He began the chain around his neck, looking for the charm that always rested on his chest. He found the cold feel of the metal, the star charm giving him some peace of mind. He hid it from the members, not wanting to explain why he had a star necklace of all things. Yifan was the only one who's seen it, but then again Yifan has seen more of him in various positions that no one else has. Yifan didn't think much of it, assuming it was just a normal necklace.
It wasn't a normal necklace to Tao.
Someone special gave it to him.
“Tao! Stop running!”
The short kid stopped, looking back at the little girl who was trying to catch up with him. “Hurry up!”
The girl with blue eyes caught up to him, shining even though it was nighttime. “Where are we going?” Tao pointed up to the sky, small finger standing out against the dark. “Look.”
The girl looked up and she smiled, the night sky showing it's beauty yet again. “There are so many tonight.”
“I know. It's really pretty.”
The two kids sat on the grass, heads bent back and looking up at the twinkling lights. They held each others hands, not understanding what it meant to do this, but it felt right. She was Tao's best friend and he loved her. He didn't know what that word meant yet, either, but he liked saying it because it made her smile. Tao loved seeing her smile.
“LiYing?”
She looked at him, eyes sparkling, mouth in a smile.“Yea, Tao?”
“Where is your hair?”
Her smile dropped and she looked away. “Mommy had to cut it off. It was falling off too much.”
“Oh. Is it because you're sick?” Tao asked.
LiYing nodded. “Uh-huh. That's why I go to the doctor a lot.”
“I don't see you anymore.”
“I'm sorry.”
“Who am I going to take to look at the stars with me?”
“I'm going to get better. I promise.”
Tao held up his hand, pinky sticking out. “Pinky promise?”
LiYing smiled that great smiled and hooked her pinky with his. “Pinky promise.”
They laid back, hands behind their heads, mesmerized by the stars in front of them. Ever since they became friends, they would do this together. Their parents had no idea what they were doing at night, but it didn't matter. They were together and they would be forever.
Just when they were about to sneak into their houses again, LiYing grabbed Tao's hand. “Wait. I have to give you something.”
Tao waited as LiYing reached around her neck, unclasping the silver chain that always hung there. She grabbed Tao's hand and placed her necklace in his hand.
“But this is your favorite necklace!”
“I know. That's why I'm giving it to you! Whenever I can't come out to see the stars with you, you wear this and it'll be like I'm there with you. Okay?”
“Okay.”
LiYing turned around and ran back to her house, slipping in through the glass door, careful not to make any noise. Tao crawled back in through his window, jumping into his bed.
They continued this for years, sneaking out and enjoying the comfort that each others presence brought. LiYing tried her best to make it out every night, but the cancer cells in her body just didn't allow it.
Tao didn't mind. As he grew up, he learned the truth of her illness and understood. He wore her necklace whenever she was gone.
Tao was leaving to Korea, SM waiting for him. He was all smiles as everyone said goodbye, hugging him and wishing him good luck. He saved LiYing for last, wanting her goodbye to be the best.
She was confined to a wheelchair by this point and had to be rolled out to see Tao. He knelt down and hugged her frighteningly thin body. She whispered her goodbye into his shoulder and he did the same. They parted, tears b their eyes.
“I'll miss you.”
“I'll miss you, too.”
“I love you.”
“Tao, don't say things you don't mean.”
“But I do!”
She smiled gently and placed a hand on his cheek. “I know you do. Just not the way I want you to.”
Confused, Tao began to ask what she meant before he was pulled away by his mother saying that he was going to miss the flight. He gave LiYing one last smile before getting into the car. Tao waved at her until she was out of sight. He played with her necklace, twisting in his hands before deciding to put it on his neck.
He called the second he was settled in, telling her where he was staying and how it felt to be a trainee. She sounded tired but he didn't think much of it.
He called for the next two days and he would go on and on about how it was great and how he was already learning so much. LiYing wouldn't say much but Tao didn't mind. She never had to say much.
She didn't answer the next day.
Or the next.
Three days later, Tao got a call from his mom saying LiYing had passed away, her body not being able to fight anymore.
He cried for hours that night.
It wasn't until he was at the funeral that he realized what LiYing meant.
He knelt down, crying into the floor.
“I'm sorry I didn't give you the love you wanted.”
Tao returned to Korea the next day, SM not allowing him to miss anymore days.

No one knew about LiYing and Tao planned to keep it that way. He had a lot of secret from s but he didn't care. It wouldn't change anything if he told them.
Nothing would ever change when it came to him.


***

 


“Don't hide things from them.” Chanyeol said one day, cornering Tao in the bathroom.
“I'm trying to shower, Chanyeol!”
Chanyeol didn't seem to mind as he closed the distance between them, towering over a frightened Tao. “Why are you hiding things?”
“I'm going to call Yifan if you don't leave.” Tao said, voice shaking. He wasn't scared at what Chanyeol would do to him because he knew that wasn't even a possibility. He was more scared at what Chanyeol was saying.
“Tao, you've been avoiding me ever since I followed you. Why can't you tell us what's so special about that crappy room?”
“It's not crappy! I didn't ask you to follow me there! Chanyeol, shampoo is getting into my eyes.”
Chanyeol grabbed Tao's hair, forcing his head under the stream of water. “I'm not leaving until I get answers.”
Tao couldn't protest because water was currently making it's way down his throat. He couldn't move, Chanyeol too dumb to realize that Tao was choking.
Thankfully, the door opened and Chanyeol turned, his arm moving just enough where Tao's head was away from the water.
Yifan stood at the door, angry. “What the are you doing to Tao?” He asked, voice low and frightening.
Chanyeol didn't have much of a chance to explain. Yifan grabbed him by the shirt, pulling him away and punching several times in the chest, careful to avoid his face in case he left bruises and it raised questions by the makeup artists.
Yifan pulled Tao out of the shower, not bothering to turn off the water and wrapped him in a towel, bringing him to their shared bed. He held a shaken Tao in his arms, not understanding what happened and what was going on when he walked in, but Tao seemed affected by it and that was more than enough for Yifan to go into his protective mode.
Tao repeated one sentence over and over again until he fell asleep, leaving Yifan confused and worried for his boyfriend.
“I'll show you when I can see the stars.”


***


“Why can't you tell me where you're going?”
“Because you would make fun of me for it.”
“Tao, I'm your boyfriend. I'll love you no matter what. I'm just scared that you're doing something that could get you hurt.”
Tao was getting frustrated, Yifan's hold on his wrist not letting up. He tried pulling away numerous times, but the sad look in Yifan's eyes broke his heart and he felt himself being torn in two, his heart not knowing what to do.
“I promise I'll be back soon.”
Yifan bit his lip, nodding and let go of Tao's wrist. His shoulder's slumped and he walked back to their room, Tao feeling terrible. He let it go, deciding he could fix everything when he came back.
He wasn't a block from the dorms when he heard footsteps trailing behind him.
“Chanyeol, you really don't know how to follow someone.”
Chanyeol stepped out in front of him sheepishly, lips pressed into a tight line. “It worked the first time I followed you.”
Tao glared at him for a few moments before sighing. “Want to help me tonight?”
Chanyeol looked surprised but said yes, bouncing with every step. Tao had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at the older boy's excitement. There wasn't anything that fun about what Tao did.
They reached the room, walking in silence as Tao entered the doorway, Chanyeol trailing in behind him.
Without speaking, Tao sat down where he left off, picking up a brush with paint on it and placed it on the wall, easily adding a new star. Chanyeol stood around for a few minutes, watching Tao work before he picked up his own brush and attempted to paint his own star.
“No!” Tao screamed, Chanyeol dropping his brush in surprise.
“What? You don't want me to help you?”
“No. It's not that. It's just- Here. Give me your hand.” Tao reached over, placing both hands over Chanyeol's large one and guided it, slowly moving the brush against the wall in the motion that he's done thousand of times. “That's how you do it.”
“You make it look so easy.”
“I had a lot of practice. Keep trying. If you mess up, just paint over it and start a new one.”
They worked in silence for the most part, Tao occasionally humming an unknown tune and Chanyeol nodding his head along to the rhythm.
It actually helped Tao having Chanyeol with him. The taller boy reached places that Tao couldn't get to unless he had a chair. It would be highly suspicious if he just took a chair out of the dorm and carried it all the way into the abandoned room, so Tao had to resort to stacking old paint cans. It was dangerous and Tao had fallen on many occasions, but he managed to get stars up there.
Eventually, Chanyeol was making stars that looked just like Tao's.
It was late by the time they decided to call it quits for the night, both of them tired and wanting to sleep. They walked back to the dorm in silence, entering the door and muttering a goodnight to each other. Yifan was still awake when Tao got back, laying in bed and trying to go to sleep. Tao helped him by doing things that woke all of the other members.

***


Tao broke down and told Chanyeol everything after he and Yifan had a fight. He knew this would happen eventually with all of his secrecy, but he didn't expect his boyfriend to accuse him of cheating with Chanyeol. He had gotten furious and left the house and no one knew where he went except Chanyeol.
Tao was crying when Chanyeol had found him, a necklace held between his fingers.
“Tao? Are you okay?”
“Do you know why I love stars so much?”
“What? No, no one does. What did Yifan say to you?” Chanyeol asked, trying to understand why Tao was so upset.
“I love stars because she loved stars.”
“What? She?”
Tao began sobbing, yelling at Chanyeol his story. He told Chanyeol about LiYing and their many late nights sitting outside and watching the stars shine. He told him about when he first found out she was dying and how he didn't understand what it meant but he cried anyway because that was his best friend. He told Chanyeol about her words to him when he left, how he felt guilty for not loving her the way she did. “She didn't even know I was gay. I didn't even know I was gay at the time.” Tao cried, head pressed into Chanyeol's chest. “She was my best friend and I miss her so much. She showed me the beauty of the night sky and I can't even see it anymore because of the city lights. All I have left to remind me of her is this necklace.” Tao held up the chain with the charm on it, hanging loosely between his fingers.
“Why don't you tell Yifan any of this?”
“Because no one knew. No one except you.”
“Are you scared to tell him?”
“I'm terrified.”
“Why?”
Tao looked up, eyes shining with new tears. “Because I think what I feel for Yifan is what she felt for me.”


***

Chanyeol forced Tao and Yifan into a room when they got back, making them talk things out and explain the misunderstanding. Yifan cried as Tao cried, watching the younger boy relive his childhood pains, crying out for his lost friend. He watched as Tao explained his whereabouts when he left, how the room helped keep him sane in the city. He never understand why the boy had such an obsession with the lights in the sky, but now he knew.
“I'm sorry, baby.” Yifan said as he held Tao close to him. “I should've just trusted you.”
“I understand. It's okay, I would've gotten mad, too.”
Tao slowly calmed down, his boyfriend soothing him. Tao kissed Yifan lightly before pulling away, smiles on both their faces.
“Can you show me?”
“Hm?”
“Your room. Can you show me the room?”
“No.”
Yifan sat up, stunned. “What?”
Tao laughed, laying Yifan back down on the bed. “Relax. I didn't mean forever. Just until I'm done.”
“How come Chanyeol get's to see it?!”
“That's simple. He was smart enough to follow me one day.”
“So if I follow you, I can see the room?”
“Nope. I'll kill you if you follow me.”
Yifan pouted and Tao laughed some more, kissing away his pout that escalated into something more. Chanyeol had to stand outside the room, forced to hear noises he didn't want to hear as Joonmyun came to him several times asking why he wasn't allowed into his own room.
“It's being used.” Chanyeol said.
Joonmyun was confused, but when things began getting louder, he blushed. “O-Oh. Wait, on my bed? They're doing-oh. Oh.” Joonmyun backed away. “Can you tell them to wash my sheets when they're done?”
Chanyeol laughed and Joonmyun ran away. Tao and Yifan didn't stop until the night left and the morning appeared.

***

It took Tao and Chanyeol two more weeks to finish covering every spot possible with stars and many hot patches from having to paint the roof. It was worth it in the end, though. Tao stood and looked at his creation, his co-artist watching from a distance. Tears came to Tao's eyes as he inspected every tiny little star, proud that he was able to capture their shine. He ran his fingers across the dry surface, standing on his tiptoes to touch the ones far above him.
“She would've been happy to see this.” Tao whispered to himself. He grabbed the necklace across his neck, smiling at the thought of LiYing, hoping that wherever she was, she was happy and there were many stars lighting up her path.
“Are you ready to show them?” Chanyeol asked.
Tao nodded and the two made their way back to the dorm where everyone was waiting, curious to see what Chanyeol and Tao have been doing together.
Nervous was the only word to explain what Tao was feeling. There was no way to know how everyone would react. Yifan assured him that whatever he had to show him, he would love it. Tao wasn't so sure about that.
Tao purposely waited until nighttime to get everyone to come. Kyungsoo had made food, suggesting a picnic to eat wherever they were headed.
When Chanyeol and Tao arrived to the dorm, everyone was restless, wanting to leave and see Tao's project and eat Kyungsoo's food, who refused to give them any until they were where they needed to be.
The members first reactions on when they saw the room was just what Tao and Chanyeol expected.
“Are you sure this is the place, Tao?” Yifan asked him.
“I think I know the place I've been coming to for months.”
Yifan shut his mouth, not saying another word.
Tao and Chanyeol stepped back, letting the members go in one by one. It was dark inside the room and no one could see anything. Chanyeol had managed to put in a lighting system, giving each star a light of it's own. Tao held his breath as Chanyeol flipped the switch, illuminating the room.
Every member gasped, spinning in a circle to get a full view of the room they were standing in. There were a lot of stars painted and it was impossible to count how many were actually there, but it took the members' breath away, leaving them speechless and in awe and what Tao had managed to accomplish, with a bit of help from Chanyeol.
Yifan came up and hugged Tao for a long time and every member watched on, with a smile on their face.
“I'm really proud of you.” Yifan whispered to him, fresh tears forming in Tao's eyes.
“Thank you, Yifan.”
All twelve of them sat down in the center of the room, pulling out various plates of food from the basket Kyungsoo brought. They laughed and stuffed their faces with various things, genuinely enjoying each other's company. It's been a while since all twelve of them had a chance to sit down and talk, enjoying a meal like the used to in their trainee days.
They left the room with sleepy eyes and full stomachs, going to the dorm to sleep off a fun night.
Tao's room was used by many of the members in the days to come. He didn't mind. He was glad that his room would be of use to the people he cared about and he was glad that it brought them happiness like it did to him. Many of them came up to Tao and confessed that they did miss the stars and how he was glad he could bring some of them closer to earth.
Sometimes Chanyeol and Tao would go to the room by themselves, ranting about their problems and smiling when telling a happy story. They were close to begin with, but this had brought them closer, their friendship growing stronger and stronger. Yifan didn't mind. He knew that Tao needed someone other than him sometimes and he was glad that Chanyeol was the person that was there for Tao.
It may not have been the same as real stars, but Tao didn't care.
All that mattered was that he had some of his own and they shined bright, LiYing's smile glowing off of them.