First Encounter

That Fateful Day

Chapter 1: first encounter

            This . Only the first day of my transfer and it’s pouring rain outside. Definitely not looking forward to today.
“Hwang Mihyun! If you don’t hurry up and leave you’re going to be late on your first day,” my mom exclaimed.
“I know, I know,” I sigh. “But do I have to go? Can’t I just wait until it’s sunny outside or something?”
My mom shakes her head with a heavy sigh. “Why do you have to be so superstitious? It’s just rain, not the end of the world.”
“It’s NOT just rain, it’s a bad omen,” I huff. There was no point in arguing with her further, though, so I just stood up and walked to the door.
“Sweetie, you’ll be fine stop worrying so much,” She handed me an umbrella and the lunch she packed for me. “Try to make some friends, alright?”
Walking out the door I say; “I can try, but don’t expect much.”
This indeed.

            Superstitions are something my mom will never understand about me. The world needs to be balanced between the good and bad. Right now, I’m tipping my balance towards the negative energy and it’s not even something I can control. These are the moments I hate the most. Luck is not in my favor today, I feel it.

            “Do you have a death wish,” I could hear a voice just up ahead, but there was no one there.
“N-no, I’m sorry I-,” now I was close enough to hear a thud from within an alley. What are they doing in weather like this?

            Curious, I peek around the corner to see five guys. Four of them were surrounding one extremely skinny male on the ground… At least, I think he’s male. One of the guys stood over him, and even from where I stood I could tell he was toned. Crouching by the head of the guy on the ground, there was another guy who seemed to be laughing. He kept poking him in the head, smiling as if nothing was wrong. The last two were leaning against the walls of the alley on either side. I can’t really make out their faces, but the one closest to the others had a very intimidating posture. The other stood as if he was bored.

“Can we just end it already? We’re wasting time here,” said the bored one. Everyone looked at the same thing, but from where I stood I couldn’t see what it was.
But I heard the voice. “Has the brat learned his lesson yet?”
That voice didn’t come from any of the five. Out of the shadows a sixth person materialized. All eyes were on him… So he must be the leader.

            On the ground, the guy merely whimpered.
“What was that? I couldn’t hear that,” The leader crouched down and pushed the guys face into the dirt. Muffled sounds were heard. “You haven’t? Is that what you said?”
With his face still in the dirt I could still hear the cries of protest, but the leader didn’t seem to care.
“Again,” was all he said before disappearing from my view. Muscles guy picked up the weaker one and shoved him against the wall, punching his face.

            “No!” Before I even had time to think about what I was doing I found myself moving forward. Startled faces turned to me. The intimidating one recovered his expression first and glared with such intense eyes I almost stepped back.
“Aww, how sweet,” the smiling one taunted. “Your girlfriend’s come to save you!”
Muscles chuckled a little. “Sungjong’s so girly so she’s probably the boyfriend.”
Smiles laughed excessively at the comment. “You’re right, she does look manlier than this dweeb!”
At this, the bored one spoke up but it was clear on his face that he was interested now. “Guys, stop. Where’s our manners, we don’t even know this stupid girl.”
“So,” Smiles started. “Who are you?”

“I-I’m…,” I started but fear had taken over. What could I do to stop them? Why was I so stupid running into this?
That voice spoke up again. This time, when I looked where it came from I could actually see him. It was clear that he was annoyed with my interruption. Or maybe he was annoyed already. “Well?”
I tried to speak, but my voice failed.
“Run you stupid girl! Go,” the one they called Sungjong yelled. His voice was strained as he was still being pushed up against the wall.
“Shut up,” Muscles said before punching him again.
“Stop it!” I screamed. Right, that was why…

“You must be new around here,” a voice right next to my ear. It was him, the Leader with a hand on my shoulder. “So I’m gonna let you off easy this time.”
He must have signaled to the others because one by one they started leaving, bumping into my other shoulder as they went. The last two, Bored and Muscles lingered.
“Leave,” Leader said. Bored gave a last look to Leader before leaving in the same manner as the others. Muscles threw Sungjong to the ground, giving him one last kick in the side before leaving.
“Next time,” whispered Leader. “You’ll not interfere. I don’t care if you’re a girl, you’ll get hurt like the rest of them.”
With that, he left. I exhaled suddenly, not even realizing I was holding my breath. My heart beat wildly and with all the tension gone my knee’s gave away. Seriously, what was I thinking…

“You stupid girl,” Sungjong said from where he laid. Slowly, he started to get up. “They would have hurt you.”
“I couldn’t just let them hurt you though. Five against one, it wasn’t fair,” I replied.
“Don’t worry about me, I’m used to it,” he was sitting up now, assessing the damage he took.
Sadness crept over me. “How could you be used to it when you were screaming like that?”
His eyes widened and sarcastic sounding chuckle escaped. “I’m not used to the pain.”
Silence came in between us before he spoke again. “I’m Sungjong by the way. Lee Sungjong.”
“Hwang Mihyun,” I say. “You’re not mad that I stepped in, are you?”
“No,” he answers. “More so… since you’re wearing the uniform of my school… I’m scared for you now.”
“Why…?” I hesitantly ask.
“Because Sungkyu and his gang go to our school…”

____________________________________________________________________________________________

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE/NEW YEARS!!! 2014 will be the year I actually finish a story!!! Please comment! I have so many idea's for this. XD
So many... mwahahahahaha. >:)