Kyungsoo

Because

10 thousand years later, I decided to write something for this again. Though it won't be anywhere nearly as detailed as the other chapters, here it is. Kyungsoo's POV.

 

May 2008

Kyungsoo stares at the EXO screen, stares till he seers the three characters into his mind.

He needs the money, he whispers to himself as his cursor hovers over the 'Accept' in bloody pixels. He needs this. With this, he can survive.

Because when heaven abandons the recently orphaned, homeless and indebted, all they can do is fall to hell.

When his first job pops up, a simple kidnapping case at a local playground, he wonders if he shouldn't have picked an alias so close to his name.

-------

August 2010

He meets Jongin, the cop, during a robbery job that went wrong. It's Dobby's fault really. He puts together a team like he's playing darts against a wall of profiles. Kyungsoo was put together with clumsy members who really should've died ages ago with how inexperience they were. Then there was Daybreak, a high-ranking veteran member, making snide commentary during the entirity of the job. It was a mess of ego and pride.

The cops were on them 10 minutes before they were supposed to even know there was a robbery. In the commotion, Kyungsoo manages to pretend to be a passing-by citizen. Jongin laughably tries to herd him to safety when he gets shot in the leg. His weight brings Kyungsoo down with him.

"Sorry." Jongin pants heavily, "You should get yourself to safety. And then get that arm looked at. You can even bill me if you want."

Kyungsoo blinks before glancing at his forearm. There's an angry red scrape from the fall that he had not noticed. It doesn't hurt at all really, he's gotten much worse in past jobs and failures, but the next words from his mouth instead are, "But I don't have your information."

The cop stops panting for a brief second before he lets out a breathless laugh. It's much younger than he had anticipated. Young, goofy, and very much out of place in the middle of a battlefield. Kyungsoo can't help it, he smiles too. The whiz of a passing bullet breaks the moment.

"I'm serious, you should leave the open air, sir."

He rolls his eyes at the sir and looks around. They had luckily landed near a restaurant's outdoor patio. He wordlessly tips a nearby table over and rolls it over to provide them cover. The cop - Jongin, his name is Jongin - is once again speechless. He has no words for this strange yet braze citizen. Kyungsoo would call himself stupid. As they remaind side-by-side behind the table, Kyungsoo mentally interogates himself. What the hell was he doing? He's already drawn up a list of the pros and cons of his unexplainable actions. One the positive side, he's probably not going to get caught or arrested because of this failure of a job. He's got himself the best shield possible. But he's exposed his face to a cop and that's a big taboo in his line of work.

A bullet ricochets off the side of the table and pulls him from his thoughts. Kyungsoo manages to peek back in time to see the burly member from earlier fall to his knees. He's the last one, it seems, as quiet descends on the street like a blanket.

"Jongin!" The same voice calls again and a figure finally rushes into view.

The cop is impossibly tall, apparent even as he kneels, with black hair and charcoal eyes. He places his gun down as he inspects Jongin's injury and Kyungsoo lets his eyes dart to it once.

"Are you okay?"

"I got shot in the fricking leg, Tao. I'm rainbows and sunshine."

"How are you still so rude after being shot?"

Jongin looks like he would kick him if he could. Tao turns to Kyungsoo with a smile.

"Thank you..."

"Kyungsoo." . He blurted that out without thinking.

"Kyungsoo, for helping Jongin. Don't worry, the ambulance is coming soon."

And he's right. Within 10 minutes, the street is swarming with ambulances and medics tending to the wounded. Jongin gets lifted into one and insists that Kyungsoo come along for the ride. He can only begrudginly agree lest he draw suspicion on why he's so averse to the hospital or getting questioned as a potential witness after. In the ambulance, he's flipping through his medical history. It's clean, he assures himself, but it doesn't stop his nerves from manifesting in the form of jittery legs. Jongin, who's still awake, pats his knee and chalks it up to shock.

At the hospital, he plans out his script with his usual cover story. It's half based on truths, truths that expired ages ago but are still legally proven (after his minor hacking). He's summoned for his witness testimony when he meets Baekhyun. It goes smoothly with his story taken as law. Jonging insists on taking him out for lunch as thanks and Kyungsoo accepts under Baekhyun's insistance. Kyungsoo leaves the hospital patched up with promises of a next time and new revelations. 

Because Daybreak is Officer Baekhyun.

 

That night, Daybreak visits Kyungsoo's residence with a pistol. Kyungsoo welcomes him with a glass of champagne.

He lays out an offer. In truth, Baekhyun's position within the taskforce is a crucial asset to the continued success of EXO. He and the organization has more to lose if Kyungsoo were to expose him.