CHAPTER 1: EXASPERATING NEWS – APRIL FOOL’S

I Choose To Love You

“How many hours to go Yoonhae-ah?” Yeonhee asked as she randomly flipped the pages of Star1 magazine.

“Three hours more. I thought we’ll have a quiz on Literature.” Yoonhae said.

“Professor Teuk announced a quiz? When?”

“Duh! Last week, he said it thrice. He even posted a tweet on twitter.”

“He has a twitter account? You follow him on twitter?” Yeonhee raised an eyebrow.

“Oh forget it! Come on, you didn’t review your notes, did you?”

She smiled, “I’m a procrastinator Lee Yoonhae.
Yoonhae rolled her eyes, “Whatever… By the way, how’s Ryeowook oppa?”

“He’s doing fine. He spends more time with his piano.”

“Of course, he still has his sanity. Why would he spend time and talk to his absolutely 4D siblings?” Yoonhae soon bursts into laughter.

She glared at her best friend, “Shut up Lee Yoonhae.”

“Arasseo. I’ll stop. Ya! Your phone is ringing.”

“Just ignore it. Appa is so annoying.”

“Wae?”

“He’s making sure that I won’t ditch the dinner plan with the Cho family.”

“Isn’t it wonderful? You’re going to spend time with your family on a Friday night.”

“We’re not alone. We’ll eat with the Cho’s.”

“Oh… Is it necessary?”

“Our parents were college buddies. Until now, they always make an effort to meet chat and eat dinner together.”

“Oh… I see…”

                The door slid open. A blonde guy with gentle eyes and dimples entered the classroom, closing the door behind him quietly.

“Good afternoon Professor Lee Teuk.”

“Good afternoon. Settle down and prepare your quiz booklets.”

                Lee Teuk earned too many questioning glances from his students except from Yoonhae.

“Don’t give me that kind of look guys. I announced it thrice. I even posted a tweet on twitter.”

“I told ya Kim Yeonhee, he did.” Yoonhae mouthed.

                Yeonhee just rolled her eyes and got her quiz notebook.

“Another thing, you’ll have three more reading assignments. Now, let’s start.”

 

♥ 슈퍼주니어 ♥

 

“I thought you have dinner plans?” Yoonhae asked.

“I have.”

“Why are you waiting here? You should’ve gone to the restaurant by now.”

“My childhood best friend will pick me up here at the bus stop.”

“Oh… I’ll get going. I still have a part-time job to do. See you on Sunday Yeonhee-ah!”

“Arasseo! Take care Yoonhae-ah!”

                As soon as a bus arrived, Yoonhae hopped in and waved a goodbye to Yeonhee. Yeonhee sat quietly at the bus stop fiddling with her phone. The breeze blew gently. Her phone vibrated. A smile crept its way to her lips as soon as she saw the caller ID.  She answered the call.

“Yoboseyo?” A soothing voice said on the other line.

“Kyuuuuuuuuu~”

“Stop cooing Kim Yeonhee.”

“Awwww~ you don’t want that anymore? You’re so mean!” She said, making her voice sound like a child.

“Stop it. You’re giving me Goosebumps.”

“I hate you!” she pouted.

“Don’t pout.”

“Ya Cho Kyuhyun! Where are you?!” She blew her bangs away from her eyes.

“Use a hair clip. Why do you always have your bangs? You look uglier.”

“Kyuhyun-ah! Where on earth are you?! Don’t scare me to death!”

“At the other side of the road… Did I really scare you death Yeonhee-ah?”

Yeonhee darted her eyes to the other side of the road, “I’ll kill you… I hate you! I’ll hang up now.”

                Kyuhyun crossed the street. He can’t stop laughing. He just pulled another successful prank to his childhood best friend. He ruffled her hair, grinning like a child. He earned a death glare and a bit painful smack from his best friend.

“I know… I know… I won’t do that again Yeonhee-ah~”

“You always say those things! The same thing for millions of times!!! I really hate you!!”

He put his arm over her shoulders, “Sorry~ let’s go! Our parents would kill us if we don’t show up.”

 

♥ 슈퍼주니어 ♥

 

                Yeonhee and Kyuhyun were fifteen minutes late. As they approach their parents, the two of them earned a disapproving look from Mr. Cho, Kyuhyun’s father.

“Aigoo~ these kids doesn’t really have any punctuality in their system. Well, of course, Ryeowook and Ahra are exempted.” Mr. Cho said.

“Don’t be too hard on them. At least they didn’t ditch us like they always did.” Yeonhee’s father Mr. Kim said.

“Where’s eomma?” Kyuhyun asked.

“At the washroom… Oh, Heechul! You just came?”  Kyuhyun’s noona, Ahra said.

“Hello Kyuhyunie~!” Ryeowook greeted Kyuhyun cheerfully.

“Annyeong Wookie!”

“What did you just call him?! Only ‘Wookie’?!” A pretty guy with ash blonde hair sat beside Yeonhee.

“Calm down Heechul hyung…  Kyuhyunie is not used to call me ‘hyung’. It’s fine with me.” Ryeowook said, acting so cute to his hyung.

“If Ryeowook is not that cute, maybe I’ve already killed you Kyuhyun-ah.”

“Kim Heechul! Stop threatening Kyuhyun!” Mr. Kim said.

                The two families started eating their dinner. Yeonhee plugged her earphones on because she didn’t want to hear the elders’ conversation. She hated it especially when Kyuhyun’s parents would tell how much she and her eomma resemble each other. Yeonhee’s parents were divorced and her eomma died in a car accident. Heechul is overprotective over her while Ryeowook acts like a mother to her. They’re having their dessert now.

“Yeonhee-ah, remove your earphones.” Her father said.

                Yeonhee didn’t respond, obviously she didn’t hear what her father said. Ryeowook removed her earphones.

“Ryeonggu oppa!”

“I told him to do that.” Her father said.

“Oh…”

“We have an announcement to make.” Mr. Cho said.

“Another nonsense?” Heechul said, rolling his eyes.

“Whatever it is… I don’t care…” Yeonhee muttered, put back her earphones on and minimized the volume of her iPod.

“Hyung!” Ryeowook nudged Heechul.

“Good thing, my engagement with Ahra was called off. Right, Ahra?”

“Absolutely Heechul-ah, you know I can’t have a husband who’s prettier than me.” Ahra laughed.

“Kyuhyun-ah, Yeonhee is your fiancée. Then the two of will get married after your graduation.”

“M-M-M-MWORAGOYO?!” Kyuhyun and Heechul asked in chorus.

                Yeonhee pretended not to hear the shocking announcement. Ryeowook’s eyes grew wide, his jaws dropped. Ahra froze on her seat.

“You are engaged to Yeonhee young man.” Mr. Cho repeated.

“I’m out of here!” Heechul stormed out of the restaurant.

“NO! THIS ISN’T TRUE! IT’S APRIL FOOL’S TODAY!” Kyuhyun said.

“We’re not fooling around Kyuhyun-ah… We’re serious.” Mrs. Cho said.

“MALDO ANDWAE!!! THIS IS NOT HAPPENING! WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE?! I’LL NEVER GET ENGAGED TO MY BEST FRIEND, NEVER!!!” Kyuhyun stood up and made his way out of the restaurant muttering words that he can only comprehend.