Painfully Oblivious

Painfully Oblivious

Long ago, Zhang Yixing lived in his apartment in the winter months in harmony. Then, everything changed when the heater broke.

 “Are you ing kidding me?” he grumbled, looking up at the air vent, frowning at the previous clanging sound and in turn, the stop of warm air coming from the draught, before pulling out his phone and calling maintenance.

“Hey, it’s Zhang Yixing, I live in uh, apartment 4C.”

“How may we help you today?” a women answered, one Yixing had never spoken to before because honestly, he was careful enough to no to break up where he lived.

“My heater just broke, I was wondering if it could get-“

“Actually,” the women cut him off, “The repairman isn’t in today, so I’m afraid you’ll have to wait a few days until he gets back.”

Yixing sighed in frustration, of course out of all days, it’d break the one where it couldn’t get fixed immediately, or the day after. "Can I call someone else to see if they can fix it?”

“That’s against complex policy, sorry. You’re just going to have to wait.”

Yixing sighed once more, deciding it was pointless to argue with the woman, grumbling an undeserved thank you before hanging up and flopping down on to the couch, reminding himself to go looking for another apartment to live in because the rules they had in this one were so damn ridiculous.

24 hour service, my .

Honestly, he didn’t think his life could get any more depressing at this point. It was Christmas Eve, he was all alone, it was freezing cold and his heater had just died. To top it off, it wasn’t like he could afford to buy one from the store. It was pointless when, when it was working, the heaters in the apartment were so damn good. Maybe if it weren’t Christmas time he could afford it, but as a guy in his early twenties paying his university fees whilst living on his own after his roommate moved, he didn’t have all that much money to spend.

Which would also explain whilst he was in Korea and not with his family in China, like he had done every other year.

Which would explain why he was so goddamn lonely on such a day, because everyone else had made individual plans thinking that he wasn’t going to be there.

At least, when Sehun had found out he would be, he’d offered for him to come over on Christmas day, and then everyone had said why not all spend the day together because it’s not like we have anything better to do; so at least tomorrow looked like it was going to be good.

But that was tomorrow, and Yixing had to get through today first.

That is, if he didn’t die of hypothermia.

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

There was only so long he could spend bundled up in blankets, looking at funny cat videos, before the cold outweighed the warmth that the cuteness of kitties could offer before he decided that enough was enough and he needed to go somewhere with heaters and preferably, coffee.

Because he may have not had enough money to buy a heater, but when he could buy one drink from a store in return for hours of warmth and comfort, even if he had to witness all the couples and friends and families and things he didn’t have at the moment, he could deal with it.

So of course, Yixing changed from his hoodie and tracksuit pants to a striped red, blue and white sweater and jeans with a coat over the top, grabbed his phone, wallet and keys and slung his laptop bag over his shoulder before adventuring out to the real world in search for a macchiato with extra cocoa topping because really, he needed it.

 

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o2_250.png

 

From: Mum
What time are you finishing work?
Your grandparents just told me they’re coming over for dinner, too.

“What are you laughing at?” Joonmyun whined, looking over at Baekhyun who was currently hunched over the reception desk of which they were behind, doubling over in laughter.

“Your face!” he cackled, wheezing harder as he continued to think about it, which made Joonmyun frown even harder than before.

They were both at work, but it was currently slow, and when he felt the vibration in his pocket, a sense of impending pain had blanketed over him which had in turn, made him just have to check it.

Baekhyun may have found it hilarious, but Joonmyun most certainly did not.

“This isn’t funny!” Joonmyun whined, “My grandparents are coming over to my parent’s for dinner, and I have to go too!”

This only made Baekhyun laugh harder, and Joonmyun pout even harder.

“You, Kim Joonmyun,” Baekhyun wheezed, fanning his face in attempt to calm himself down. “Are very, very antisocial. Your grandparents are old, they’re not going to last forever.”

“You don’t know them! Every time I see them, it’s always the same. ‘Joonmyun dear, where are you working?’ ‘Joonmyun, where’s your girlfriend?’ ‘Joonmyun, how are you going to get married when you have a girlfriend?’ ‘Joonmyun, when are we going to get grandkids?’ ‘You deserve a lovely, beautiful wife. Long hair would suit you, I think, with a small figure.’ ‘Joonmyun, we know just the girl to set you up with!’,” Joonmyun ended his imitation with a groan. “They just don’t get it!”

“Oh, the blatantly ignorant type, are they?”

“You don’t even know,” Joonmyun face-desked, before sitting up and rubbing his eyes. “I don’t think I can deal with this, not today.”

“Just say you can’t go,” Baekhyun said, “Say someone else asked you out? Say it’s a girl?”

“Like that’d help in the future,” the older sighed, “Plus, it’d make it complicated with my parents and they’d be like ‘Oh Joonmyun, ask her to have dinner with us instead!’ and then what can I do? I don’t get out of dinner and everyone thinks I have a girlfriend, which I don’t have nor want, and then I actually to find someone to go with me. All the girls I’m comfortable with are already doing stuff.”

Baekhyun looked at Joonmyun in thought, previous laugher replaced by a now serious expression.

“Say they thought you were working a double shift and that there’s no one to replace you.”

“Will that work?”

“Well, you would lose a lot of customer service points if it were true, and you know our boss. He’d get super pissed.”

Joonmyun nodded, looking around for any possible people to serve before picking up his phone once more.

“No, don’t do it now, it’ll look super suss that way.”

Joonmyun sighed for the nth time that day, nodding. Baekhyun was right, before whining and putting his head in his hands. “This is stupid,” he groaned, “Where the hell am I going to go?”

“Uh, home?”

“My apartment block is in the same as my parents and… you know them. They’ll know.”

Baekhyun paused in thought, an evil look taking over his features and excitement glimmering in his eyes. “Yixing is alone tonight, see if you can go to his.”

Joonmyun’s eyes widened, “I don’t think that’s a very good-“

“Why not?”

“You know why!”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun smirked, “And maybe something will finally happen.”

Joonmyun’s face went beet red, and Baekhyun’s smirk grew.

“No- no, we’re not- he’s not like that.”

“You guys are so oblivious, I swear to God. All you do when you’re together is either flirt, and sometimes you act awkward. Just get together already, it’s painful to watch.”

“I don’t want to screw up my friendship with him.”

“And he doesn’t want to screw up his with you, either, so you’re not ever going to get anywhere.”

“But I-“

Baekhyun’s face turned to a look of somewhat desperation.

“Please Joonmyun, I’ll call and ask. It’s Christmas Eve, I can’t ask you to come with me, and you can’t be alone, especially when Yixing will be. I’ll call him, just-“ Baekhyun sighed, “You deserve to be happy, and so does he. If nothing happens then you’ve lost nothing, and if anything does I can guarantee you you’re only going to gain from it. If not for yourself, do this for me?” he pouted, and it reminded him just why Baekhyun was his best friend in the first place. Because he could be an annoying ninety percent of the time, but he hadn’t ever met anyone as absolutely selfless and in tune with people than him.

Even though he added the do it for me bit, but Joonmyun knew that was only to convince him more.

So he gave in, “Alright, fine.” and Baekhyun was already pulling his phone to his ear.

“Baekhyun, you could get-!”

“Hey, Yixing hyung, what’s up? Happy Christmas eve to you too!... Actually yeah, I was wondering, are you free tonight?... Really? Great! Is it alright if Joonmyun hangs with you? He’s serving someone at the moment so I thought I’d ask, he has to escape a family dinner and he needs somewhere to go… Seriously? Great! Our shift ends in like, 15 minutes? Sorry this is such late notice… Where are you right now?... Oh, that’s right near here, you wait there and then he’ll just meet you there, alright? I have to go now, but thanks so much!.. Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow… Bye!”

“If the boss had just walked in you could have gotten-“

“But he didn’t, and I didn’t!” Baekhyun cut him off, “Yixing’s at the café that we usually go to for coffee so I told him you’d meet him there. See? It all worked out. It’s fate.” he said the last part dramatically, hand resting over his forehead with his body tilted back.

“You’re ridiculous.”

“Yeah, but you love me.” Baekhyun replied, and Joonmyun didn’t respond, because as much as he’d love to disagree, the excitement bubbling in his stomach told him otherwise.

Maybe this Christmas Eve wouldn’t as much as he thought it would.

 

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o2_250.png

 

“Yeah, I’m free… Why?” Yixing asked Baekhyun curiously, pulling away for his laptop to lean back on the couch. “Really? Oh, yeah, I’m at uh, Bookends Café… Uh, yeah, that’s cool, just tell him uh- Baekhyun- Baekhyun?” Yixing had tried to tell him to tell Joonmyun that his heater was broken, but he’d said goodbye and hung up before he had the chance. “…Bye?” Yixing felt his cheeks become rosy as he realized just what had happened.

Joonmyun was coming over for Christmas Eve.

Yixing was going to be spending Christmas Eve with Joonmyun, and Joonmyun only.

“Oh my God… Oh my God!”

Yixing didn’t know whether to squeal or cry.

Thank God my apartment is clean.

 

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o2_250.png

 

“Uh, Yixing-ah?”

The Chinese’s head snapped up at the call of his name, looking towards Joonmyun.

And he really should have expected it, because Joonmyun was wearing a suit and he was really having to stop himself from drooling.

“H-hey,” Yixing managed to force out, words catching slightly in his throat, because that suit jacket wasn’t done up and he could see the white shirt hugging his body and his jacket hugging his biceps in the best way possible.

Joonmyun smiled, and Yixing really had to try not to blush.

“What’re you doing here on such a day? Shouldn’t you be out somewhere?”

Yixing laughed, “All my friends ditched me because they thought I’d be in China, and it’s warm here… And I wanted coffee.”

Joonmyun looked down at the computer screen, noticing the paused video and smirking slightly.

“Well, cat videos are always good company.”

“Shut up, you watch them too.”

“Touché,” Joonmyun mumbled, “Anyway, do you want something? My shout.”

Yixing shook his head, “It’s okay- I was actually thinking I’d leave soon. I don’t want to but… One of the people behind the counter has been glaring at me because I’ve been here for hours now using their internet.”

“Hours?”

“My heater broke this morning,” Yixing said, pouting, “I tried to tell Baekhyun to tell you but-“

“Oh no, it’s alright.” Joonmyun shook his hands, “I don’t mind!”

“You say that until you walk in there.”

“I’ll live,” Joonmyun smiled, “Thank you so much for letting me uh, come over.”

“No problem, I’m glad I’m not going to be alone, honestly.” Yixing rubbed his nape, slightly embarrassed. “If you, uh, wanna get something, I’ll just pack my stuff up? That lady looks like she’s gonna come over here soon, and I need to go out and buy food for tonight, if that’s alright.”

“Of course,” Joonmyun said, walking over to order as Yixing begun placing his laptop in his bag, watching from a distance as the male order his drink, the girl behind the counter shamelessly flirting.

It was something Joonmyun could never avoid, and Yixing didn’t really blame her when he looked so goddamn delectable in that suit.

Yixing slung his bag around his shoulders, before walking up to where Joonmyun was waiting.

“Americano and a… Caramel macchiato?”

Joonmyun’s lips spread into a soft smile as he nodded and handed the latter to the Chinese, who looked at him with a raised brow.

“It’s cold outside,” Joonmyun muttered as he looked down, and Yixing had to take a sip of the drink to cover his smile, following the older out the door and on to the pathway on the streets of Seoul.

“There’s a store on the way home, you don’t mind if we just go there and walk back?”

“Don’t worry,” Joonmyun said, one hand in his pocket as the other held his coffee.

“Cool,” Yixing wrapped both hands around the cardboard cup in his hands, before letting the right drop.

You guys are so oblivious, I swear to God.

Joonmyun decided to trust Baekhyun and take a leap of faith, putting his left hand out and taking Yixing’s right with his own, placing it in his pocket.

Yixing stopped walking for a moment, caught off-guard, and Joonmyun could do nothing else but try not to make it weird by continuing to walk.

“It’ll stay warmer this way.”

Yixing would swear it was just the cold that was making his cheeks pink, and the wind that made them go even darker when Joonmyun interlaced them.

 

“What do you want for dinner?”

“Steak!”

Yixing rolled his eyes, smiling slightly. ”Fine, just because you’re the guest. I didn’t even invite you.”

“Yeah, but didn’t you say you were thankful.”

“Never.”

“You, Zhang Yixing, like me a lot more than you give me credit for.”

If only you knew.

“Just shut up and get the meat.”

 

“I really don’t know how I’m going to afford this, were all those Oreos really necessary?”

“Maybe, maybe not,” Joonmyun said, “But hey, look at all the free packets of Doritos we get!” Joonmyun held one up before scanning it and putting it in a bag.

“You actually have no idea how stupid you look. You’re wearing a damn suit and you’re shoving a whole bunch of lollies and chips in a plastic bag like a kid.”

“Yeah, but who doesn’t like the sweet flavour of artificial cheese?”

“They better be Nacho Cheese flavour or you’re putting the lot back.”

“Of course, Yixing dear.” Joonmyun grinned, scanning the final packet and putting it in the bag before straightening up, as Yixing pressed the buttons on the screen. “Plus, it’s not like you’re going to pay for this, anyway?”

“What?”

Joonmyun pulled out his credit card and pushed Yixing out of the way, swiping his card before the younger had the chance to.

“I put most of this in there anyway. You’re helping me escape hell, so let me pay for this.”

 

Yixing found himself deeply regretting that they’d bought so much, because it meant he had no spare hand to hold Joonmyun’s on the rest of the trip home.

Though when the bottom of Joonmyun’s shopping bag split open, it was a pretty funny sight to watch.

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

“Nice sweater.”

Joonmyun looked down to the red reindeer pattern adorning his clothing, ignoring the sarcasm in the remark. “Thanks, I bought it myself.”

Yixing rolled his eyes, though secretly, he hadn’t been joking. Whilst Joonmyun in suits was fine, it was also super distracting. Sweaters, though. Sweaters looked nice, and the wool never seemed to make his arms look as toned. It was easier to ignore his body that way, and also the urge to jump him.

Anything knitted just didn’t scream .

Joonmyun wrapped his arms around his body, “, man. You weren’t joking when you said it was cold in here.”

“Do you want another jacket?”

“Nah, I’ll get used to it.”

“Suit yourself,” Yixing said, getting off from the couch and moving towards the kitchen. “Hungry?”

“Starving.”

The Chinese smiled, “Then help me cook dinner, .”

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

“I asked you to help me cook dinner, not play in my kitchen. Why the hell are you turning the oven on?”

“Yixing, m’dear. This, is warmth.”

Yixing moved towards the oven, gaping as the warmth hit his legs, eyes widening.

“You are a genius, holy . I think I’m in love.”

Joonmyun would blame the pink flush over his cheeks on the sudden warmth the open oven was providing.

Definitely not Yixing.

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

“I’m bored.”

“Well, I think it’s really interesting watching this oven. I love cooking shows!”

Yixing punched Joonmyun in the shoulder, face horrified. “You are not funny, oh my God.”

“You hurt me!” Joonmyun whined, rubbing his shoulder with a pout on his face when really, it didn’t hurt at all.

Yixing laughed, “And you lived.”

Joonmyun nudged him slightly, “And you’re smiling.”

“Because you’re lame!”

“Yeah, but you like that about me.”

Yixing rolled his eyes, he couldn’t bring himself to break Joonmyun’s pride.

Or maybe he just couldn’t bring himself to disagree.

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

The two sat in front of the TV in the couch. There was some weird English Christmas movie playing, that neither were really paying attention to because, let’s face it, subtitle reading takes effort. Despite the blankets they were both smothered in, but they couldn’t help but feel the chill, especially the Chinese.

He watched Joonmyun curiously as all of a sudden he disappeared underneath the pile, before smoothly sliding out the bottom and off the couch.

“What the hell are you-“

“I’ll be two minutes,” he sang, before prancing off in the direction of the kitchen.

Yixing rolled his eyes, finally deciding to pay attention to the screen.

 

A few minutes later, Joonmyun came back, this time with a steaming cup on something in hand.

Yixing was midway through telling him he shouldn’t have been such an and only made one for himself, before the mug was passed to his hands.

“Oh.” was all Yixing could think to say.

“You were shivering,” Joonmyun frowned, not out of annoyance at what Yixing had said, but worry. “I thought maybe it’d help.” he smiled.

The younger bit his lip, “Thanks.”

Joonmyun crawled back under the blankets, much less ridiculously than when he’d come out, and Yixing looked down at the hot chocolate, topped with cream and then grated chocolate, and swallowed back a smile as he took a sip.

“Good?”

He looked at Joonmyun, “Almost,” he begun to imitate a food critic, “Though the placement of this shaving of chocolate is-“

 “I can never please you, can I?” Joonmyun cut in, rolling his eyes.

Yixing giggled. “Seriously, thank you. This is actually amazing- you’re amazing. Tell me, why haven’t you gotten a girlfriend yet?”

“You sound like my grandparents. You know that’s mainly the reason I came here?”

“But really, a catch like you? You literally have girls swooning over you. None of them take your fancy?”

“Well, I do like someone,” Joonmyun sighed, “But I’m waiting for them to make the first move. I’m always the one to initiate things and well, if they haven’t got it…”

Ouch, right in Yixing’s kokoro. “That’s a bit stupid,” he said, tucking his knees up and trying to hide the sadness in his voice. “What if they’re waiting for you to do it?”

“Then I guess we’ll just be stuck like this forever, or at least, until I finally move on.” he laughed, and it made Yixing sad, because even though he didn’t want Joonmyun to like anyone if they weren’t him, Joonmyun deserved to be happy, no matter who it was.

“So who is this mystery person?”

Joonmyun turned around to face Yixing, serious faced, and his heart almost jumped out of chest until-

“Not telling!” Joonmyun tapped him on the nose, and Yixing tried to make his deflation less visible.

Dammit, you . Getting my hopes up.

Joonmyun wondered if anyone could be more oblivious.

“What about you?”

“Well, I guess I’m the same as you. Waiting for them to make the first move.”

“Well, someone’s going to have to tire or give up first.”

“I’m taking the latter,” Yixing sighed, taking another sip of the hot chocolate.

“You shouldn’t give up.”

“On this person,  now I’m thinking it’s for the best.”

Joonmyun pulled his hand out of the blanket and took Yixing’s empty one in his own, squeezing it slightly.

“Well I, for one, would be proud to call you my boyfriend.”

Yixing quickly pulled their hands back so it hit Joonmyun in the face.

“You deserved that.” he said immediately, trying to keep his own face straight, much unlike the one he’d just hit.

And then Joonmyun smiled, that stupid smile where his eyes crinkled and his mouth didn’t open but it was still goddamn stupid because it was just so beautiful and it made Yixing’s tummy feel especially full of butterflies and his heart soar because it was directed right at him.

“What, I was being honest!”

Yixing did it again.

Stop getting my hopes up.

“I really can’t win with you, can I?” Joonmyun reached forward, grabbing a Dorito out of the bowl before putting it in his mouth.

“At least my Doritos love me.”

Yixing flicked him on the forehead, Joonmyun once again carrying on like he was in pain.

Although, he never let go of Yixing’s hand.

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

Yixing hated how his body reacted to cold, like it was overly sensitive, his heat receptors not doing their job. So even an hour later, when the hot chocolate mug was long finished and Joonmyun’s hand still sat entwined with his own, he couldn’t stop the shivers.

“Yixing-ah, come here.” Joonmyun tugged Yixing’s hand slightly, motioning for him to come closer on the couch, before wrapping his arms around his torso and pulling him so he was sitting slightly on his lap, but more so draped over his body.

Yixing’s face was not going red, he was just getting warmer.

“You’re freezing,” Joonmyun murmured, taking both of Yixing’s hands into his own before beginning to blow hot air. “Turn over.”

Yixing did as he was told, for once not making a sassy remark, only because his throat had clogged up and he didn’t know what he could say.

Joonmyun took Yixing’s arms and wrapped them around his stomach, his own wrapping around the Chinese’s figure before pulling him closer, Yixing’s head laying at his shoulder, Joonmyun’s resting against Yixing’s hair.

“Hopefully this’ll warm you up- cuddling is good, especially when it’s cold.”

And this time, it didn’t have any flirtatious tag, no innuendo and wasn’t meant to tease. Yixing knew Joonmyun’s voice, and he knew it was one hundred percent true and pure.

Then he felt fingers carting softly through his hair and finally, when Joonmyun pressed an almost not-there kiss to the top of his head, just maybe he realized how damn oblivious he’d been.

Well, I do like someone, but I’m waiting for them to make the first move. I’m always the one to initiate things and well, if they haven’t got it

He was snuggled under a pile of blankets on Christmas Eve with Kim Joonmyun, who all night had only been a gentleman to him. Who had held his hand, in public just to warm it up and was now cuddling with him to stop the shivers.

But the soft eyes, the smiles, Yixing didn’t want to be vain, but he felt like they were only directed at him.

I could be wrong, Yixing thought as he unwrapped his hands from around Joonmyun’s body, propping himself up slightly. I could totally screw up our friendship, he thought, as he his lips slightly, clutching Joonmyun’s sweater with one hand. But I could also maybe, just maybe save us a lot of trouble, and then he leant in, pressing his lips softly against Joonmyun’s in a kiss that he’d been wanting to do for so long.

He felt a smile tug at the other’s lips as their hands travelled to his sides, pulling him closer, and Yixing opted to move his legs and straddle him, making it easier on the both of them. The kiss was short and innocent but perfect, and the two pulled apart, Yixing looking down nervously.

“I grew tired of waiting,” he said quietly, and Joonmyun laughed in response, a breathless, airy laugh that he didn’t hear all that often, but was beautiful all the same.

“How do you think I felt? You’re so painfully oblivious.”

And then Yixing leant down again, more poised than before from Joonmyun’s words, by knowing he feels the same. Finger’s made their way to his hair as Joonmyun’s made their way up Yixing’s thighs, to his hips, and begun to trace circles on the skin just under the hem of his bottom layer.

This time was much more, and as he continued to kiss and Joonmyun continued to kiss back, he grew more and more confident, tracing his tongue over Joonmyun’s bottom lip before beginning to memorize the inside as Joonmyun let out tiny moans.

And then he abruptly pulled off, and Joonmyun stared at him, slightly worried.

“You taste like cheese.” he blurted, eyes widening before the man underneath burst into laughter, Yixing taking in what he said before joining him.

“Well, I was eating Doritos,” Joonmyun laughed, and Yixing leant over to grab an Oreo, shoving it in his mouth, giving him no choice to whether he ate it or not.

“The things I do for you,” the older sighed once he’d chewed and swallowed, zero annoyance in his tone, and then the two leant in to kiss each other again and again and again, until they lost track of time and fell asleep snuggled together, not caring that most of the blankets had fallen off and the heater was broken.

Honestly, they’d never felt warmer.

 

 

tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png Authors Note tumblr_myk9puj51D1qd3zs8o1_100.png

I need to branch out and stop writing fluff ;;
actually I am hurhurhur, you will see

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy!
Anyone reading my ongoing, I will have an update out for you hopefully sometime within the next week. I don't update it reguarily because I tend to get caught up in oneshots, but I'm not going to ditch it so don't worry :)

That's all I really have to say orz.
The Doritos thing happened to my friend (lul) but with Choco Pies what.

Leave comments and feedback if you'd like!
you totally want to, I just know it ;)

Stay cool, guys ;)