In The Headlights

Wounded Deer

Luhan stares into your reddened eyes, “Baobei, I—”
"Luhan, don’t. D-don’t you dare call me that." You barely choke out the words through your tears. Your heart feels torn, burned and put back together with a child’s hands.
His own heart swells with guilt, he knows he’s done something wrong and yet he knows he can’t unravel the past to sew something new. He knows that he’s doused your heart in oil and set it on fire. Luhan can’t do anything but watch as it burns to lonely ashes. You kick his bags out the door, you had packed them earlier. “L-leave. Wa-walk away and…and don’t…” You bite your lip, feeling the sensitive skin tear and peel. “Look back at me.”
"Ba-…..______-ah…please. Hear. Me. O-out." His voice cracks at the end, he still loves you. He can feel his heart reach towards you. "Please. I-I beg you."
You shake your head slowly, “I-I…” Staring into his pleading eyes, your body freezes. You’ve never seen him make such a face at you.
He steps toward you, “I. Love. You. And only you. I was feeling weak…I missed you while we were touring. Mar—the other girl…she was there for me. While you were sleeping, she listened to me…and…and I got weak. It happened once!” Luhan holds up his pointer finger to emphasize the one. “Only once.”
You shake your head, “You could have told me.” Your voice shakes with anger and sadness. “You could have told me that you needed me. My phone is always on, Luhan. All you needed to do was call.”
He stares at you, “Don’t do this.”
With an unsure thought pushed aside, you say clearly, “Oh, Luhan. I already did.” You close the door, sliding down and letting out the sobs you held in.

On the opposite side of that door stands Luhan, a complete wreck. He kicks his bags down before putting his face is his hands and pulling at his face. He pulls as if he can wash away the misery that attaches itself to his flawless skin. Luhan bites his tears back, he can not cry in front of you, he wishes not to show his tears. And yet, he cries. You can hear his sobs on the other side but you refuse to open.

"Baobei! Baoobeei. Baaaoobbeeeii." He sits heavily on the other side of the door, you can feel his back hit the wood. "Baobeeii, I’m sorry, please let me in."

The night laughs at them, showing the heartbroken couple a starry sky and full moon. The wind blows warmly, pushing Luhan’s bangs back from his tear stained eyes. “Baobei…” His pleas become softer as his voice carries on the wind. You still refuse to open the door and as you stand, you walk away from the door.

You stop a few feet away, stuck between going to sleep and opening the door to your wounded deer. No. He’s not yours anymore. He is a stray crying on your door step. You tell yourself you don’t have time. You tell yourself you won’t turn back and that you’ll have a pleasant sleep. And yet, the sorry creature beckons to you. You have room, your bed is too big all alone.

You take a deep breath and…