Beauty and the Beast

Flower

Day 1

I'm currently writing at the library, Areum's favorite place. Earlier when I just opened the library's room, the rose's scent already filled the room. Just like the first day when Areum arrived here at the castle. When she walked across the front door, her fresh, sweet, gentle scent blew my mind in an instant. But what's important is the fact that when she saw me.. she didn't look away in disgust like how most people do – instead, she smiled at me. That's the very first time I see someone smiling at me for years. She reminds me of the days when my parents were still alive – how the house would be filled with love and warmth. Her smile felt warm, just like the sun. Her beautiful eyes gazed at me and I felt peaceful and forgiven. For all my mistakes in the past. For being stubborn, for being dumb. For getting my family killed by the witch. I knew at that instant – I need this girl. I need you, Areum.

I’m a butterfly, I’ll go closely to that blooming flower and slightly smell the scent, the slowly spreading sweetness.

But I feel a moment of anxiety, worried that it might disappear..

Areum.. Please come back quickly.

 

~

 

“Areum! Finally you're here! Oh, look at you! You look extremely.. pretty!”

“Gosh, your dress! Seriously, satin? How did you get all these?”

Areum smiled as her two older sisters ran and hugged her.

“It's Junhyung. He gave me all these.”

“Junhyung? Who's Junhyung?” asked Nana, her first older sister.

“Well.. you know. The owner of the huge castle, the one who saved daddy last time.”

“Wait. You mean Jimseung? The beast that lived in the haunted castle? The one everyone talked about?”

“Yes, Nana. It's NOT a haunted castle, it's a beautiful house, and his name is Junhyung, not Jimseung!”

Both of her sisters stared at each other for a few seconds.

“But anyways! We are sooooo glad you're back home! Gosh, I miss you so much, little sis!!”

“Uh, I miss you guys too!”

They hugged each other tightly.

“But by the way.. where's daddy? I heard that he's unwell..”

“Yeah, he's inside. Go and meet him, quick!”

 

Areum gasped when she entered her father's room. His dad was laying on his bed with his face pale.

“Daddy! Are you okay? Please, please, please answer me...”

She fell on his bedside, started sobbing. After a long minute, her father opened his eyes, smiling.

“Areum.. you're home..” Her father's voice were shaky and weak. Areum let out a long, full of relief sigh.

“Thank goodness, I miss you so much, daddy!”

 

~

Day 2

 

I wonder what she's doing right now.. Cause this huge ballroom feels so empty. Too empty. I don't understand why. Before she came, I was so used to dark nights, empty halls, and the guilt surrounding me like a dark cloud. But ever since she stepped into my life.. everything changes.

I still remember the night of her birthday. When I finally lit up all the lights in this ballroom, played my mother's favorite music, and threw her a magnificent party with all of my servants attending and having fun. How we talked and danced all night, how the drinks tasted sweeter, how the food tasted so delicious.. how her smile filled the whole room with happiness.

As if you noticed, your arms that embraced me are like heaven.

I remember how I told her about my past, that I intentionally asked a witch to fulfill my wish and ended up getting my parent killed. She only smiled and said, “It's in the past. What matters is the present. You're not a bad guy. You were just too young and too dumb. Now you have grown into a great man. It's time to let go of the past and do your best for the rest of your time.”

Because of your sweet words, I found the strength to forgive myself and move on. Areum..

I miss you so badly. I hope you're doing well out there. Please don't forget me..

 

~

Areum had been busy taking care of her father. She woke up from early in the morning just to make sure her dad could rest as much as possible. It was almost sunset when she finally got to sit down a little bit and rest. She sat down beside the window of her dad's room, and peeked outside. She could see the rose garden in front of their house and smiled. All the roses were blooming so beautifully. She couldn't help herself from remembering the castle.

“Junhyung always gave me a new fresh rose every morning..” She mumbled and smiled.

To her surprise, her dad heard her.

“I'm glad to know that the castle's owner is nice to you, dear.”

Her father's voice surprised Areum.

“Oh Dad. You startled me! I thought you're already asleep.. but yes, he's really nice to me. He never did anything bad to me, dad. He took great care of me.” Areum smiled.

Her dad could see sincerity in his daughter's eyes.

“I know. I'm grateful for that. I hope the heaven's blessings are with him.”

Both of them shared a smile, and Areum asked his father politely to rest.

“The doctor would be here in three days, dad. You'll be okay only if you get enough rest. So please do have some rest so that I could stop worrying about you.”

 

~

Day 3

It's five more days to my 24th birthday. Last night I got a really bad nightmare. The witch visited me. She gave me a reminder of the magic rose in the library.. How the last petal would drop on my birthday and that means death to me if I haven't found my true love.

I.. don't know what to do. I really don't know. I mean, who's my true love anyways?! Who would love a beast like me? Even if the most kind-hearted girl on earth met me, she would never see me as a man. Nobody will. Even the villagers called me a beast and cursed my house. How can I possibly stay alive?

Maybe I should just stop thinking about myself. It's stupid. I'm about to die anyways. I should just do my best on the last days of my life, right?

 

Gosh. I just miss Areum so much. How's she doing out there? Is her father okay? Will she ever return..? Will I ever meet her again? Will she keep her promise to return in four days?

Staring at the roses here on my garden only reminds me of her.. They bloom everyday, just like Areum's smile. They're beautiful. Just like her.

Your lips are what softly dyed my cheeks red.

I don't understand. Why do I feel like I'm dying without her? The last few months with her was magical and unbelievable. I had never met anyone like her.. why am I feeling this way?

 

~

Areum's dad caught his daughter staring at their rose garden once again.

“I started planting them the day you went to the castle.”

Areum turned around and found his father already wide awake on his bed.

“Really? Wow.. thank you, daddy. They're beautiful.”

“Just like you. I'm glad you could see them yourself.”

Areum smiled in reply, and once again turned her head to watch the roses bloom.

 

“You're missing him.”

“What? No, dad.”

“I wasn't asking, dear. It was a statement.”

Areum laughed nervously.

“I don't think so.. you know that rose is my favorite flower, right? That's why I'm looking at them..”

“Stop denying. You're wasting your time.”

“No, dad. I'm saying the truth! I mean, I asked for you to bring me rose when you were out to see our last remaining ship..”

“Oh whatever. Now call your sisters and ask them to bring me food. They're becoming really lazy now that you're home.”

Areum sighed and nodded. She walked out straight to the kitchen, knowing that it's useless to ask her sisters anyways.

Her father's so-called-statement made her think. Does she seriously miss him? Why would she miss him? Because he was sweet and caring? Because he never lied and honest? Because he's intelligent in a lot of ways? Because he loves reading books as much as she does? Wait.. Did she just list down things that made him sound even more miss-able? Uh, whatever. He's just a good good super good friend, that's all..

 

right?

 

~

Day 4

 

This morning I heard a cry out of my front gate when I was just walking around in the rose garden. It was the voice of a little girl. I found her with nothing more than just a thin clothes wrapping her skinny body.

I.. knew I couldn't approach her. She looked hungry, tired, and completely helpless. I wonder what happened to her. I decided to secretly send one of my servants to give her some warm jackets and some warm food.

She took the stuffs with a grateful smile. But after she finished the meal and my servant told her that I was the one who gave it all to her.. she choked, threw the jacket to the ground and ran away like she just saw a monster. Well I am a monster and all... but that still hurts me.

 

I miss Areum. She never acted that way. She never ran away from me. She was always nice. She accepted me as who I am..

Well at least I think she did..

 

~

 

“Areum, when will the doctor arrive?” Nana asked.

“Last time I heard, tomorrow. And he'll be taking care of dad for two full days.”

“So.. after that you'll be leaving?”

“Uh.. well.. yeah. I guess so.. why is it?”

“No.. nothing, really, I was just wondering if you could.. you know, stay a little longer? You've been there for so long already, I .. I just missed you so much. That's all.”

Nana gave her a small smile and left the kitchen.

It's weird. For the long 20 years of her life, that was the very first time Areum heard such things from her big sis. She smiled and continued working.

 

Areum knocked her father's door before coming in.

“Hey dad. How are you today? Feeling better?”

“Of course, my dear.. you're here, what else can I ask for?”

Areum smiled and sat beside her father on the bed.

She started to help her father eating the soup she just made.

 

“It's delicious.”

“Thanks dad. Glad I could at least do this to you and finally wandering in the kitchen once again.”

“What, you never cooked at the castle?”

“No, I cooked there too. But.. you know. It's different.”
“Different? In a good way or a bad way?”

“Well.. Over there I would only share the meal with Junhyung and only Junhyung. He always said that the food I made tasted so good! I do enjoyed the praise, but you know.. over here my sisters would whine about the taste and everything, and it got me wondering whether Junhyung's lying or being honest.. So I like it here more, for I knew my sisters won't lie about the taste.”

Her dad chuckled after hearing his daughter's confession.

“Oh dear. Don't you know? Your sisters are the ones who lied all the time! I mean, you're like the best cook here at the village and you could win any man's heart just by your cooking! And they're jealous. That's what makes them keeps on being a jerk and tease you everytime!”

Areum pouted.

“Really? No way, dad! My sisters are not that silly.”

“Oh yes they are, sweetheart. I'm the father here, you know..”

“So that means Junhyung's saying the truth?”

“How can any man lie when it comes to taste?”

“I mean.. he's all sweet and everything all the time, but sometimes.. I'm not sure if he truly enjoyed my company, really..”

“Well then let me ask you. Do you want him to enjoy your company?”

“Uh.. well.. yeah, I guess.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, dad.. I want to at least help him and cheer him up because he's been so good to you and to me.. I mean he even saved your life, dad! When you're a total stranger!”

“So you want to make him happy?”
“Yes, because he has always been sincere in helping others and.. and..”

“You want to make him happy in return because he made you happy?”

“It doesn't sound very sincere, does it?”

Areum started to feel tears filling up in her eyes.

“No, Areum. I never said so. But one thing for sure is that you have to figure out your feelings yourself.”

~

Day 5

 

This morning, as always, I had a walk in the rose garden. I was busy doing my daily routine of watering them, when I found one laid on the ground, dead.

Somehow it reminded me of my own state. It's three more days before my birthday. 

Today I felt really strange. After I watered the whole rose garden like always.. I had breakfast alone, and I was about to head to the library to read some books that my parents left me with, when I suddenly felt very weak. I couldn't move my legs properly and my eyes kind of felt blurry. Luckily Doojoon, my head butler were around, and he helped me to reach my room. I had a nap and when I got up, I felt fine.. Doojoon said I slept for a full hour. Strange. I've never had naps before. I never needed one.

I finally made it to the library and I studied my parents' books. Strangely.. It was talking about love. It was like a journal my dad keeps from the days when he was young.

He wrote how he felt like dying for not meeting my mom. How my mom's parents forbid them to meet each other because of the rivalry between the family. He wanted to respect the elders but his heart said otherwise. He kept on thinking about her for days, he couldn't even sleep. He could feel her presence everytime he went through the woods, the place where they first met. He can't forget her smile, her scent, her eyes, her laugh, her everything. And from that he learned that mom was actually his true love.

The story knocked my heart. 

I had a girl which stayed on my mind every second, every minute. Whenever I walk through the halls of my house. Whenever I sit for my routine meals. Whenever I see blooming roses. I had a girl that I missed so badly.

Areum.. so she's my true love?

Am I .. worthy of having her as my true love?

The enchanted rose in the library.. only one petal left. Three full days, that means. If I was really going to end my days.. at least I wanted to see her once again, for one last time. It would be enough.. even if I couldn't have her heart.

~

The doctor arrived early in the morning, and he spent the whole morning in Areum's dad's room, checking his patient's condition.

Areum kept herself busy in the kitchen, preparing lunch.

She thought about all that her dad told her.

She knew that her father sent her to the castle because he knew she would be treated better. Ever since his business ended tragically, he could no longer provide enough money for his three daughters. When the beast asked him to bring his youngest daughter to the castle, he agreed for he knew she would be alright. Areum knew all this. That's why she tried her best to please Junhyung, for she wanted to pay back all the goodness that Junhyung had given to her, even though she was scared of his bad looks at first.

Day by day, she started to know him more. How sincere he actually is, how he never demanded anything else but other people's happiness. How he was gentle but still very thoughtful and charismatic at times. How his heart is actually pure and full of love, despite his bad looks.

She even started to know the details of Junhyung's life which made her felt so much better around him. How fat his tongue is - the reason why his pronounciation was clear and different from others. How he nags when she messed her clothes up after spending her time in the kitchen. How he loved to take care of his rose garden. How he loved the red rose, more than any other roses. How he mumbled nonsense when he's tired...

After the days she spent in the castle, she realized that she started to do things for a different cause. She no longer did things because she wanted to pay Junhyung back - she did them to make him smile, because she enjoyed his company.

She never realized she had so many questions inside her heart about Junhyung.

For the past few months.. Did Junhyung enjoy her company too? Or did he do all those things.. just because he's a kind hearted person? 

When he threw a party to celebrate her birthday .. was that an act of generousity or something else? When he finally told her all about his past.. did that means he trusted her enough? When he let her go from the castle a few days before.. did he do that because he doesn't want her lingering around the castle anymore?

And why does she kept on thinking about him? why did her heart flutter the night they danced together? why did she felt great comfort when she spent the days around him,when they both quietly reading in the library?

She made up her mind - when she got back to the castle, she would personally ask the beast.

~

Day 6

Today I ended up having more naps. I got tired so easily. I couldn't even finish watering the whole rose garden. Doojoon had been busy, trying to take care of me. He said that ever since Areum was around he never had the chance to do so because she did everything in his place. 

She did everything she could to help everyone in the castle, that's what Doojoon said.

I wonder.. if she actually enjoyed her days here. Did she enjoyed it as much as I did? Or was she just pretending the whole time? What if she didn't even want to come back? What if.. she never actually wanted to stay in the castle at the first place? Will.. she return? Why does thinking about her pains my chest more and more?

Will you still be fragrant after time passes, baby?
Will you still be here when today passes, baby?

 

She would be back tomorrow, right?

~

"She'll be leaving tomorrow, Nana!"

"It's eonnie, you dumb. How dare you call me by my name!"

"Alright, fine. Sorry for that! But what do we do? The party's tomorrow night, but she'll be gone tomorrow evening!"

"You think I didn't know??"

"So that means you have a plan?"

"Of course I do! That's why you were called dumb, Baekchi ya~"

"My name is NOT Baekchi! It's Sachi!"

"Whatever. Quick, she's coming out soon. Go get the onions from the kitchen!"

 

Areum walked out of her dad's room after discussing some details with the doctor, when she found her two older sisters already waiting for her in front of the room. 

"Areum ah.. can we talk for a moment? Just between the three of us?"

"Of course.. what's the matter?"

They sat down in the dining room, and Nana started the conversation.

"You.. you're going back to the castle tomorrow?"

"Yes, I plan to do so.."

"Uh.. well.. how should we say this.."

Areum stared at both of her sisters, confused. They looked gloomy.

"Just spit it out already, girls. If there's really anything I could do for you, I'd try."

"Uh.. really?"

"Of course!"

"Well.. here's the thing. Tomorrow afternoon we need to go to the city hall for our.. eh.. part time job."

"Yes! our part time job!" Sachi suddenly said, accepting a killing glare from Nana.

"Wow! you guys took part time jobs now??" Areum asked in surprise.

"Yeah, kind of.. we know we had to help daddy in a way or another, right? but.. but.."

Nana rubbed her fingers to her eyes, trying to rub her tears away, but only ended up producing more.

“But, you see Areum.. with daddy's current condition.. I.. just don't think I could even step outside!” said Nana, completely in tears by now.

“Oh, eonnie!” Areum hugged her, clearly touched.

“If.. just.. If only you could..” Nana could not end her sentence because she started sobbing hard.

Sachi's eyes got welled in tears too.

“If only you could stay here longer until we come back the next morning, Areum..” Sachi finished her sister's sentence.

“Oh...”

“Can you do at least that much..?”

Areum wanted to refuse, but she couldn't stand watching her two sisters crying because of their love for their father.

“Please, Areum. We beg you.. Our father needs you, you know that, right?”

Areum felt bad. Junhyung.. would understand, right? It's going to be okay for one more night, right..?

Both of Areum's sisters looked at her with puppy-eyes filled with tears.

“I.. I guess I can get back the next morning, if that's the condition..”

“Oh Areum! Thank you so much!!” Both Nana and Sachi hugged her tightly.

“Uh.. sure thing. But.. make sure to come back quickly and safely, okay?”

“Of course, little sis! We love you so much!!”

~

Day 7

 

Nana and Sachi left in the afternoon, leaving Areum behind. The doctor gave her a few last instructions before he finally left too.

He told Areum to be at ease, because her father's condition is already stable and nothing bad would happen.

 

Areum was thankful, but she could not stop staring at the roses, feeling uneasy for breaking her promise to Junhyung. She could not get the thought out of her head, it tortured her the whole day.

 

That evening, she decided to pick one of the roses to put it inside her dad's room, to lift up the mood.

But when she picked one, the thorn bit her finger, and it started to bleed badly.. but she felt no pain.

 

“Why does my heart aches more than this scar? Why do I feel like going crazy now?” Areum mumbled.

 

Maybe this was actually the right thing to do. She thought about the times she was in the castle.. all she ever did was playing around, disturbing the castle's daily routine, being a burden. Maybe not going back was the right thing to do, afterall?

 

~

I've been waiting at the gate the whole day. I couldn't swallow any food, I couldn't wait inside. Doojoon had forced me to, but I just.. I just can't.

Where is she? It's already past sunset but she's still nowhere to be found.

I fainted twice earlier. I got weaker every minute.

Doojoon said that the enchanted rose at the library started to look unhealthy brownish. It would die soon, probably.

Tomorrow's my last day. I had been dreaming about this night, this last night, when I could at least spend with Areum by my side.

I would definitely ask her if she loves me.. If she felt the same thing. If she felt happy when she spent time with me. If she could be mine, even for just one night.

Doojoon said I cried in my sleep.

I don't know anymore.


 

She didn't show up at all.

So looks like.. it was nothing more but my stupidity. She never felt the same.

I hope.. even if I couldn't meet her anymore.. that she would be at least happy.


You left and only your scent remains, where are you going without me?

What am I supposed to do if you shake me up, lift my heart, then leave?
All of me, you stole all of me in just one moment
You drive me crazy, I feel so hazy

Now say goodbye, your arms that embraced me was heaven
Now say goodbye, even your touch that dyed my cheeks red
Although you left without even saying goodbye baby
I sincerely hope that you’ll be happy wherever you are baby

~

Day 8

 

Doojoon was busy preparing breakfast when he looked outside the window and dropped all the crystal plates he was holding.

He ran outside.

Junhyung was lying on the ground, groaning in pain.

 

“Junhyung! What happened? Why is your body so cold?”

Junhyung didn't answer. He only mumbled a few words that Doojoon could not understand.

“Did you.. did you spend the night outside?? Don't tell me you didn't come inside last night!?”

Junhyung shook his head.

“Why!? You stubborn brat – why!?”

Now even your scent grows faint, now even your warmth gets cold
Baby, for the last time, can’t I be held in your arms just once?
The flower withers like this and I wither as well..

 

Doojoon quickly got up and called the others. They started to lift Junhyung and got him to his room.

On the way upstairs, Doojoon could hear Junhyung mumbled. “Areum..”

Areum. Junhyung kept on calling her name. Doojoon quickly understood and ran to the stable. He rode the castle's best horse, hoping that he would return on time, because last time he checked, the enchanted rose at the library had lost all of its petals.

~

Areum woke up that morning with her house's banged hardly. It was still so early in the morning.

She wondered what happened. It's a rare thing to have your door banged like that early in the morning.

 

When she opened the door, she could see two men, both holding big blankets on their shoulders.

“Is this the Shin family's house?” one of the man asked.

“Y-yes. What's the matter..?”

Both of the men threw the blankets they held to the floor.

“These girls were out of their minds. They drank so much last night at the party and now they couldn't even walk by themselves! How disgusting! They acted like s!”

And by those words, both of the men walked away, cursing in every step.

Areum didn't understand what they were talking about until one of the blankets started to move. Only then she realized – they were not blankets – they're her sisters. Covered in a sheet.

“Where am I...” Nana's head popped out from one of the blankets.

Areum could not speak at all.

Nana started to uncover herself. That's when Areum saw it – it was the dress that Junhyung gave her the day she left the castle. Why was Nana in it!?

“Oh! I'm home? Hi, Areum.. Nice to see you!” Nana said, obviously still not sober.

Areum could smell the alcohol reek from her sister.

She could not held it anymore and slapped Nana on her face.

“What – HEY! What was that about!?”

“You.. you lied!” Areum could not say anything else because she could feel her tears already blurring her vision.

“What..Who do you think you are, you dare slapping me!?” Nana shouted in disbelief.

“You said you were going to work! But you never did! You were partying instead!? In MY dress?! I can't believe this!!”

“HA! It's not even a big deal!! what – you're jealous?! You want to go too?? On this dress?! How cheap! Fine then! I'm sorry! Here, get your beautiful, precious dress back!”

“It's NOT about the dress! I promised Junhyung I'll be back yesterday! And I broke my promise because I thought I was doing THE RIGHT THING! And this is all that I got!? Why did you do this to me!?” Areum's tears started to run down her cheeks uncontrolably.

“So now you're crying because of a beast!? YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL! This house is definitely better for you! You got freed from a beast and now you're crying!?”

“You know what? If any beast actually existed – it would be you! You're a beast! A BEAST AT HEART!” Areum shouted and ran to her room. She let herself cry. She let out all the confusion and rage she had been feeling for the past few days. Junhyung would never want her anymore. He would hate someone who doesn't keep their promise. She couldn't even think about meeting him anymore. She cried and cried, until she fell asleep.

 

Her father's warm hands that held her palms woke Areum up. He smiled at her.

“Oh, daddy..” and she could feel the tears filling her eyes once again.

“It's okay. It's okay..” Her father pulled her in a hug.

“What should I do now, dad?”

“I don't know, dear. You don't need me to figure it out. You have the answer right there in your heart, right?”

Areum could not reply. All she knew was that every day, she could not stop thinking about Junhyung.

“I can't stop thinking about him, dad..”

“Well then don't stop.”

“But I don't know if this is right.. He.. He's so rich, and kind, and.. I don't think he would want me back in the castle.. I was nothing but a burden! But.. but.. ah I'm so confused, dad! ”

“You'll never know unless you go there and ask him personally!”

“But I broke the promise! I said I would be back yesterday..”

“Why are you so stupid? If you two made a promise to meet each other again, does that means he doesn't want you to be there?! How is that possible?”

“But.. I don't know if I want to be there either..”

“Oh what do you know!”

“He's a beast, dad! Nana – Nana was right. How could I possibly be together with a beast?”

“Really? You think he's a beast? I heard your chat with Nana earlier, dear.”

“You heard them..?”

Her dad nods.

“All that matters is the heart, Areum. The heart is the only thing that could define you – whether you're a beauty, or a beast.”

Suddenly they heard a noise from the living room.

“I NEED TO MEET SHIN AREUM RIGHT NOW! SO GO TO HELL, B*TCH!”

It was a voice of a man. Right after that they could hear Nana's squeal, as if she just got pushed away harshly.

Areum and her dad got out in an instant. Doojoon was in the living room, out of breath and in a messy state.

“Doojoon! What are you doing here? Why are you in this mess?!” Areum asked.

“Quick Areum, get on my horse and just go back to the castle already!”
“What – what happened?”

“I should be the one asking so! What happened to you? Why didn't you come last night?? Junhyung's dying! And you're here, doing what, exactly!?”

Areum could not answer. She could not think straight.

“Junhyung's .. dying, you said?”

“Yes! Duh! Were you listening? Quick, get on my horse, NOW!”

“But – what about you?”

“I'll meet you there. I'll find my way, okay. Junhyung needs you. So keep the questions for later and just ride to the castle already!!” Doojoon lost his temper and pushed Areum all the way.

She got on the horse and she rode like a lunatic, all the way to the castle.

 

Areum finally arrived at the castle, and she ran all the way to Junhyung's room.

When she entered the room, she could see him lying on his bed, breathing heavily. His beastly face couldn't hide the pain he felt.

Areum fell beside his bed.

“Junhyung... what happened to you?” Areum could feel her cheeks wet, from all the tears that ran down from her eyes.

Yoseob, one of the head servant came and offered her a handkerchief. He told her things she didn't know – about the curse and the enchanted flower, how Junhyung's life would go away the same time the rose died.

Areum held Junhyung's big hand, and buried her face in it.

“I'm sorry, Junhyung.. I'm sorry..” Areum whispered between her sobs. She didn't know what to do anymore.

Junhyung could feel her presence, and gave her a weak smile.

“Areum.. you're here. That's all that matters. I thought.. you would never come back..” Junhyung whispered.

Areum shook her head.

“No.. I.. I can't stop thinking about the castle. About the days I spend here.. about – about you.” Her tears dropped once again.

Junhyung sighed. “Same here.. I.. Just hope that you'll be happy, Areum. Even if you're not here – even if your happiness is not here. I just.. wish for that. So be happy, alright?”

Areum smiled and nodded her head.

Flowers are gone, but I still
(Still love you baby, I love you baby)
Flowers are gone, but you’re in me
(You’re in me baby, you’re in my heart baby)

 

But right then, Junhyung let out a long breath, and closed his eyes with a smile on his face.

 

“No. No no no no no – Junhyung, Junhyung! Junhyung, wake up!!”

But the beast didn't open his eyes. Nor started to breath. He was gone.

Areum started to pinch his hands and pat his arms, hoping a reaction. But nothing happened.

Areum started to break down in tears.

“No.. Junhyung.. Please.. don't leave me! Don't leave me, Junhyung! I – I .. I love you.”

Areum whispered. She buried her face in Junhyung's hands, and she cried her heart out.

 

Suddenly the wind blows, and the rain started to pour, as swift as Areum's tears. The windows in the room got opened by the strong force of the wind.

 

Areum gasped in surprise.

 

And a lightning bolt tore the sky, got into the room, and hit Junhyung right on his chest.

The lightning was so bright it blinded everyone's eyes.

Areum tried to blink hardly, still not recovered from the shock.

 

She tried to rub her eyes to help her see what happened when she could hear a voice.

“Areum..?”

She realized it was a familiar voice..

 

it was Junhyung's.

She got confused. After she could finally see things properly, she saw a man was sitting on the bed, on the spot where Junhyung used to lie, unconcsious.

Her jaw dropped.

“Who.. Who are you?? Where's Junhyung!?”

“I'm over here!” The man replied.

“No! You're not Junhyung!!”

“I am Junhyung, Areum.. and you saved my life.”

The man smiled. Areum looked at his eyes.. and realized that it was indeed, her beloved Junhyung's eyes.

“But.. how come...? No way... you were dead..”

Junhyung smiled and held Areum's hands.

“You said you love me. That's all I needed, Areum.”

Without any other words, Junhyung stood up and by doing so helped Areum to stood up, and he kissed her lips.

Areum was too surprised to understand anything. She closed her eyes – believing that this was all only a dream.

But when she opens them once again, she could still see a man – a really handsome man – is currently kissing her.

She gasped, and Junhyung pulled his lips away, and he smiled.

Areum could only stare at his face.

“The curse. It turned me into a beast. But you have broke the curse away.. Thankyou, Areum.”

A moment of silence filled the air, as Areum stared at Junhyung's face in disbelief.

“So.. you're Junhyung? The real Junhyung? And.. you're alive?”

Junhyung nodded.

Areum finally understood and hugged Junhyung tightly.

“Oh God. Oh, Lord. Thankyou. Thankyou!”

Junhyung laughed and hugged her back. She started to laugh as well, still with tears in her eyes.

 

And as you can tell.

They finally lived happily ever after – because afterall, both of them are beauties, beauties at heart. Cause that's what makes ever afters so happy.