Rivalry

Life of a Trophy Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A cool breeze swept through, blowing Jessica’s curly strawberry blonde locks behind her shoulders as if it was part of the wind itself.

She had her hands resting on the balcony railing, as a certain word uttered by her father-in-law plagued her. Grandchild.

 

Closing her eyes to ease her mind, the background noises of chatters and clinking of glasses from the grand hall faded into oblivion.

 

“Well, dear Jessica. I presume that my husband’s words got you pondering.”

 

A smooth voice spoke, causing Jessica to flew her eyes open. The tone of voice reeked of haughtiness – contempt even.

 

Jessica looked briefly to her side, slightly vexed at the unwanted presence next to her, before she turned her head back to the sight ahead.

“Yes, it did, Victoria.”

 

Victoria laughed, sort of a mocking one. “Why? Is it because you’re worried about the child having parents who don’t love each other?”

 

“My family affair is of no concern to you,” Jessica said coldly, her voice laced with a hint of suppressed fury.

 

Victoria feigned a gasp. “Too bad. I am part of the family. A member way before you were.”

 

Jessica clenched her fists at the smug reply, trying to restrain herself from hurling scathing remarks at the woman beside her.

 

Although they hadn’t openly discussed it, there was an undeniable competition between the two, and both felt their mutual dislike for each

other.

 

“Don’t worry, Jessica. We won’t tell the child, if you ever managed to have one, that the one whom Yuri loves is me.”

 

The egotistical self-assertion hit Jessica like a ton of icy bricks, but she has had enough of the insults. She snapped her head towards Victoria;

her glowering infuriated dark brown eyes clashed with the other’s onyx stare.

 

Their gazes were locked, steady; both were unwilling to back down.

 

The moonlight illuminated the area around them, causing Jessica to clearly see it: The dark and sinister webs surfacing in her rival's eyes.

Then she felt it. It prickled her skin, rushed through her veins. Anger. Fear.

 

Does Yuri still love this treacherous witch? Jessica felt bitter and scared.

 

“What’s going on here?” A husky, inquiring voice came, breaking the hostile atmosphere.

 

It was Victoria who first tore her gaze away from Jessica. And, like a chameleon’s rapid color change, her sour face and mood instantly

turned into a bright one. “Oh, it’s nothing, Yuri. Jessica and I were just chatting casually.

 

What a great actress. The cheerful voice and the sweet smile sickened Jessica.

 

“Really?” Yuri’s eyes narrowed to slits, skeptical. “I wish to speak to my wife… in private.”

 

“B-but–” Victoria tried to protest.

 

“Leave.” Yuri cut her off. It was a command.

 

Victoria gave Jessica a quick glare, a silent threat. With a disgruntled look, she stomped pass Yuri.

 

“Did she bother you again?” Yuri asked, staring blankly ahead, as she settled herself next to her wife.

 

Jessica let out an audible sigh.

 

“Ignore her. She’s not worth it.”

 

Yuri had heard and seen Victoria tormenting Jessica with hurtful insults a number of times. As the spouse of Jessica, it irked her to no

end that her wife was subjected to cruelty. However, she could not blatantly express her wrath at Victoria, knowing that the woman has

her fathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter