Chapter 02

Ambsace

                He laughed happily as he slipped the cap back on the black permanent marker and stuffed it in the pocket of his jeans. Looking down at his masterpiece, he smiled as he imagined her face scrunched up in anger when she would have seen his piece of artwork. The fact that she wouldn’t have known that it was him would have made it all the more fun. Quickly running out of the room and heading to Wooyoung’s locker to avoid any suspicion that he was the one that did such an act, he threw the marker into his cousin’s locker just when he was about to close it. “What’s up with you?” Wooyoung asked, reaching his hand into his locker and preparing to take the marker back out and give it back to Donghae. Before he was able to do so though, Donghae put his hand on his and gestured for him to leave it.

“I’ll leave it in there for now; I’ll get it sometime later.” Donghae said before pulling his cousin away with him to the cafeteria to grab a drink before class started. As they walked, Wooyoung threw occasional suspicious glances at Donghae –All only to find him snickering and smiling to himself happily as he walked.

“Dude, what’s up with you today?” Wooyoung asked, not used to seeing him in this way. Donghae simply shook his head and continued walking, laughing at just how fun it would be to find Tiffany in the state of anger. Perhaps this was the way he was going to find fun in this new school.

 

                Tiffany readjusted the strap of her schoolbag on her shoulder and turned to JiEun, who seemed to be in quite a good mood at the moment. She moved her face closer to her friends and carefully examined her face. “What’s up with you? You seem so exceptionally…. Happy today….” Tiffany noted, waiting for her friend to answer. JiEun shook her shoulders as if not knowing and spun herself around in a circle with her arms spread out wide.

“Don’t know, it just feels like today’s going to be a really good day.” She said. For once in her life, it seemed as if there were no worries on her chest, and a light mood just felt as if it was sitting on her chest. Either way, it felt like a good day for her. Tiffany shrugged as if letting the topic go –Since it didn’t seem like she’ll get why her friend felt that way anyways—and continued walking towards the school. It wasn’t long before she reached her classroom, and upon reaching her desk, dropped and her hands balled into fists.

“What the heck happened here?” She grumbled, throwing her schoolbag on her chair and running her hands over the face drawn over her wooden desk. On it was a horribly drawn picture of her, with big nostrils and scrunched up eyebrows –Almost like she was in a state of fury. “Is there something wrong with your face? Your eyebrows and nose seem to be… scrunching together.”, She remembered him say, and she shook her head in disappointment. Most of the class was already in the classroom, and when seeing Tiffany in this way, they immediately rushed over to her desk to see what the problem was. Just then, Donghae walked in, waving goodbye to his cousin who had just walked him to his classroom. “Yah! You!” She screamed, stomping over to Donghae and holding up his collar. “Did you do that to my desk?”

“What are you talking about?” Donghae asked, playing dumb.

“That scrunched up face drawn on my desk with a marker. It was you, wasn’t it?” She questioned angrily as she moved her arms to the side of her waist and awaited his answer unhappily. Having done things like this a million times, acting was certainly not a skill he was worried about. He laughed lightly and shook his head.

“I just walked into the room; how could I have possibly known something has happened to your desk? And even more so draw on it? I was with my cousin all this time!” He said lightly, proving his point. “You can even go ask him if you’d really like –If that makes you happy.” Quite impressive, He thought. She figured it out even before school began.

“Who else would’ve drawn a scrunched up face on my desk?” She asked, her volume increasing as she talked. He shrugged.

“Who knows? Might just be someone who saw you making such a face yesterday; but it was most definitely not me.” He shrugged and moved towards his desk, and before Tiffany was able to do anything else, the bell rang, and the teacher moved into the classroom only seconds after. Taking a seat at her desk, Tiffany looked down to her desk in hate. Whoever did it was going to pay; and she was going to make sure of it.

 

                “And the history of this particular object…” Wooyoung’s head bobbed up and down as the teacher spoke, his eyes opening and closing slightly every time he had did so. It was at that moment that JiEun’s phone rang, and embarrassingly, she grabbed it out of her schoolbag and pressed the ‘End’ button on the electronic device. Quickly moving her fingers over the screen, she set the ringtone to silent and placed it on top of her desk, moving her pencil twice as fast as she copied down the notes that she had missed when closing her phone’s ringtone. The phone screen displayed yet another call several seconds later, and JiEun quickly pressed the end button once again to avoid another disruption for the class. Not long after, her phone rang again, and seeing it was the same number from the first time, she quickly excused herself from the classroom and picked up the call outside.

“Hello?” She asked, not recognizing the number that had called.

“Hello, may I ask if this is Lee JiEun?” The woman on the other line asked.

“Yes,” She answered, anxiously waiting for the woman to get to the main point.

“I work as an officer at the Central Headquarters, and an accident happened half an hour ago during rush hour.” She said, her voice steady and formal. “It is believed that your parents were involved in the accident and after being inspected by some medics, were certified dead.”

“What?” JiEun asked in disbelief. How could something like this happen? “That’s not possible…”

“Sorry about what happened, but it is a must that you come downtown to the Central Headquarters as soon as possible to confirm whether or not the two deceased in the accident are your parents.” The officer said, her voice still sounding much emotionless.

“I’ll come down as soon as I can.” She said, pressing the ‘End’ button on her phone once more and letting her hand drop to her side. Tears formed in her eyes as she shook her head disbelievingly. “This can’t possibly happen… I mean… How?” She shook her head, moving back slowly into her classroom in hopes she’ll still be able to focus on the history being taught at the very moment.

“Is everything alright JiEun?” The teacher asked, noticing her teary eyes as she walked back in. She nodded her head and made her way back to the back of the classroom to where her desk was. This couldn’t possibly happening. Wooyoung, who always had a thing for seeing the real feelings of a person, couldn’t help but turn around to look at JiEun –Who seemed to be sulking by herself in the back as the rest of the classmates wondered what could’ve caused this. He turned around a minute later to the teacher, who had begun to continue with her lecture, and began brainstorming what could’ve happened to his classmate. Though he didn’t know her very well, this had raised many questions within his heart, and he was determined to get them answered. Wooyoung was one that never really paid attention to anyone till they had captured his attention, and though he didn’t understand why JiEun had caught his attention just simply because her eyes seemed teary, didn’t really seem to mind it. She had made him question, and he was determined to find the answer.

 

The school bell rung, and JiEun slowly packed up her books and made her way out of the classroom. Wooyoung had looked up to see her before she had started making her way to the front of the room where he sat, but Donghae had somehow been let out early and was waiting just outside the classroom for him. Making his way to his cousin, he told himself he’d find his answer later and joined Donghae. “Ready for lunch?” Donghae asked, his mood still as happy as it was this morning. Wooyoung didn’t answer, but simply dwelled on the question that kept running through his mind since JiEun had walked into the classroom after her call. He smiled to his cousin, and the two gradually made their way into the cafeteria and in line for lunch. Tiffany had gone to her locker before lunch to drop off her books and was late in meeting up with JiEun at the cafeteria. Once she had reached the meeting spot, she realized her friend was no longer in the same mood she was in that morning. What had happened? Tiffany thought to herself as she urged her friend inside. JiEun had refused and instead, planted her feet in the very spot she had been when Tiffany had arrived. She had originally been preparing to rant to JiEun that someone had played a prank on her that morning, but all of this had died down once she had seen her friend’s face.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, her eyes worried.

“I got a call…” JiEun began, her voice shaking. “An officer said that my parents were involved in an accident downtown… And died.” The moment the words ‘Died’ slipped out of , JiEun found herself breaking down into tears. She had tried to hold them in all class so that her classmates wouldn’t have freaked out and all come to comfort her. Not knowing what to say, Tiffany pulled JiEun into a hug and patted her softly on the back.

“JiEun, it’s all going to be okay, alright? Don’t worry.” Tiffany comforted, though she didn’t even seem to be able to convince herself that what she had just said was going to be true.

“They told me to go and confirm their identities downtown as soon as I can…” JiEun sniffled, the tears still continuing to roll down her cheeks as she mumbled out the jumbled words. Tiffany nodded.

“Did you want me to go with you?” Tiffany asked, pulling away from the hug. JiEun nodded her head, knowing that she’d feel must more assured with her best friend with her. Deep down inside, she was somewhat afraid of the reaction she’d get if the bodies did turn out to be her parents. Though the officer had sounded quite sure of the fact, this was the turning point and it was what she would see with her own eyes that would prove to be the truth. Tiffany patted JiEun on the back once more before suggesting that they go get their belongings in their lockers; they would leave right after. JiEun agreed, and quickly made her way to the second floor to where her locker was.

 

                Sitting at the same table they were at yesterday, the two casually ate their lunch. There were groups of girls that had their eyes glued to the two boys, but the two had gotten so used to it throughout their years of school that it didn’t really even seem to matter much anymore. Donghae, who was still smiling from the incident from the morning, had noticed something was off about Wooyoung. He knew Wooyoung wouldn’t necessarily tell him things unless he felt like it, so he shrugged off the feeling and continued eating. “Something… Weird happened.” Wooyoung said, his head tilted slightly to the side as if he was confused. Surprised, Donghae put down his eating utensils and waited for his cousin to continue speaking. Perhaps he was going to tell him what had happened. “A classmate had received a call, and she seemed a bit down afterwards…” He said. Donghae shrugged his shoulders and returned to his food.

“And what’s so special about that?” He asked, not quite getting the point Wooyoung was trying to propose.

“I can’t stop thinking what could’ve possibly happened to her… And I don’t know why.” He said, his head now tilted to the opposite side. “I don’t know why I care so much suddenly; I mean, I’ve seen her around lots and what not, but I never really minded her.”

“You’re just too kind.” Donghae said. “You just want to help whoever seems like they need help.” The voice Donghae had used was light, and though what he had said was quite true, Wooyoung couldn’t wrap himself around the idea that it was just out of the care of a classmate. But what else could it have been? It’s not like he was very familiar with her. Heck, he didn’t even remember ever talking to her in the first place. Perhaps Donghae was right.


Author's Note:

Hey guys! ^^ I know it's been like a super long time since I've updated, but lots have happened and I haven't really been able to update.
:( School is starting soon, so hopefully that'll give me more time to write (Surprisingly). It's a slightly longer chapter, so I hope you like it~ I'm almost done writing Chapter Three, and if I'm lucky, I'll have it posted by sometime tomorrow ;P Enjoy! I made some slight changes in the forewords on IU to fit the story more :) So you can go back and read it if you'd like~  Anyhow, hope you like it! ^^