Promises That Don't Last

Nothing Lasts Forever

Very sorry, this is my first fanfic on this account so I’m not that familiar writing.

However, I hope you enjoy it! ^^

 

 

“We will…I promise.” Jessica brushed my hair like she always did. I smiled back in response, reaching my hand up to touch her cheek. Her skin was smooth and soft, but somewhat…cold?

I found it weird, but shrugged it off since her body temperature had been like this these few days.

She must have noticed what I was thinking and cleared .

 

“Let’s go home. It’s getting dark,” she patted head, telling me to get off her lap so that we could stand up. And I did.

 

I watch her stand up silently, and with some trouble too. For some reason, her legs gave away and she fell back down to the patch of grass where we always rest on weekends.

I flashed a look of concern and neared towards her, reaching out for her hand.

 

“Are you alright?” I helped her this time, supporting her weight on my body. She shook her head and smiled at me wearily.

“I’m…fine.” That’s all I got from her.

 

It struck my curiosity because she was never clumsy since the day I met her.

 

“Are you ill or something?” I asked again.

 

“No!”

 

That came out quicker than I thought.

 

“…I’m- I’m just tired…” She lowered her tone and pulled my hand, so we began walking home without bringing the subject up again.

 

 

 

 

A few days passed, and I was beginning to worry more.

 

Whenever I come home, or exit the shower, I would find her lying on the bed. Her skin was getting paler and she was also getting skinnier, even after feeding her a lot.

 

That day I found her crying in the bathroom, hunched over the sink. My heart sank at the sight.

 

Something was definitely wrong.

 

 

And she’s keeping it from me.

 

 

Sometimes, Tiffany would appear in the house and random times, lock herself in the room with Jessica and stay there till dusk.

 

I was beyond furious, but kept quiet anyway.

Soon, her visits became like a daily routine.  I was starting to get used to it. But I remembered to keep a sharp eye for any funny things going on with the two.

I trust Sica. She wouldn’t cheat on me.

 

And if she does, it wouldn’t be so obvious like this.

 

So…

 

What’s going on?

 

 

 

“Soo…” Tiffany called me.

 

I turned to her with raised eyebrows. She usually doesn’t come out and talk to me, which is also why I waited in the living room for them to finish whatever they were doing.

 

Her legs were shaking and sweat was forming in her forehead. Anxiousness was painted all over her face as she looked for something.

 

“We need an ambulance…” she looked around and quickly grabbed the house phone when she saw it. “Immediately!”

 

 

I was still sitting there, confused and shock.

 

 

 

 

-In The Hospital -

 

 

I sat there, outside Jessica’s ward, with tears ready to spill out any minute as I listened to Tiffany explain the whole story to me.

 

The whole reason why Jessica had been acting weird this month.

 

 

“She was diagnosed with an illness since the beginning of the year,” she said. “Only has it been a month ago that it got worse.”

 

 

“…Why didn’t she tell me?”

 

 

 

“…”

 

 

“Soo…she’s dying…”

 

 

 

Bam!

 

Those words instantly stabbed my body a million times and shredded my heart.

 

“Jessi is afraid. She didn’t know what to do,” she continued.

 

 

“She lied…” I covered my ears and looked at the floor, letting my tears drop out, “She lied to me about us being together forever…”

 

 

“Soo…”

 

 

“She could’ve just told me,” I mumbled, “I would’ve spent more time with her, cherishing our last moments together, if I knew that she was dying.” I said the last words with a cold tone.

 

 

Tiffany didn’t say anything anymore. She sat next to me, comforting me by a little.

 

The door opened, and a man in a green suit appeared whilst taking out his mask. His expression was solemn, disappointed.

I had the same look when he turned to me.

 

I stood up, taking a few steps forward.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, but there was little that we could do.” The doctor said in remorse. “One of you please follow me to sign some papers.”

 

Tiffany looked at me with an apologetic expression and said, “I’ll go.”

 

 

I nodded my head, not caring about whether I was crying or not anymore.

 

She’s dead.

 

 

I lost my only one.

 

My heart hurts, so bad.

 

 

She shouldn’t have promised me that time, if she knew that she was going away so soon.

 

But…I can’t bring myself to hate her for that.

 

 

 

 

--

 

First time writing angst, yo. I at it.

But I just had to vent out feelings

 

Ugh…I need breakfast now…so hungry.