Epilogue

Dear Rosaline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cold has been causing a commotion in town lately. It was predicted that we were going to have a horrible winter where everyone would be deprived of the sun’s warmth. Many continued on with their daily lives, but subconsciously, everyone was just anticipating for the first snow of the year to fall from the sky. The concrete and the roads were even ready for the snow because they were already ice-kissed and crisped.

The trees that were once in shades of orange and yellow looked lifeless now and were bejeweled with frost, but still, the snow from the blue sky was still not ready to mark the start of winter.

I leaned on the gate and thankfully I was wearing a winter jacket to protect me from the immediate cold it would have brought to my body. I waited patiently for someone as I looked around the neighborhood where I’ve spent 9 years of my life. My eyes landed at the house where two little kids, one was a boy and the other was a girl, came out all wrapped up cozily in their winter jackets holding each other’s hands.

It made me smile. It reminded me of someone. A certain someone who I realized I’ve been waiting for in a while now. “Ya, Oh Se Joo! Are you coming with me?”

“I’m coming, appa.” My dashing 8-year-old boy said as he took little steps to get to where I was.

My son is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. He was half of my height and he had milky white skin and due to the cold weather, his cheeks turned crimson red. Se Joo looked exactly like me. He always had a straight face on, but when he laughs you could not help, but smile. That’s how adorable he looked.

“Ya, what took you so long?” I asked him and held his hand and started walking carefully as we both might slip on the ground. “Did you not want to go with appa?”

“Yes, I did, appa. I was already putting my shoes on and I even tied my shoe laces and everything, but-”

“But what?” I asked, playfully mocking him since the whole time he was talking he was unconsciously pouting.

“I forgot my gloves in my room. Then I thought about you.” Se Joo told me.

“Oh, really? You thought about me? What about?”

“Since I have my gloves, I thought, “Is appa wearing his gloves?” so I went in your room and I saw your gloves on your bed. That’s why I took too long. Sorry, appa.” Se Joo looked at me with his big twinkling eyes.

I had to stop myself from jumping in joy because I was lucky to have him as a child. Instead of embarrassing myself, I pinched both of Se Joo’s cheeks. “Se Joo-ya, you’re so cute.”

He just smiled at me.

“Where are the gloves? Appa’s hands are cold now.”

“Oh, I left it at home.” He said and I could see that he was hiding a smile.

I just rolled my eyes, though I had a really proud smile on my face. “Hmmm… Really?”

“Just kidding!” He said and gave me a smile, his eyes forming its own smile. He let go of my hand only to get my gloves from his pockets.

“Oh Se Joo, you little rascal.” I took the pristine gloves from him.

The gloves I received 9 years ago. The gloves I received from that person. That girl.

 

I decided to write to you because I feel like I'm in the same situation as you. I was also replaced and forgotten. He was my first love, Rosaline. I loved him so much and I'm sure he definitely loved me back. I didn't expect his love for me would unexpectedly end though. It even got to the point of me being replaced by another girl.

 

That girl. My first love.

Where are you? Why did you leave without any goodbyes? How am I supposed to get over you? At least let me see your face. Please.

 

Similar to the year before and all the years after I ended my relationship with her, I walked down the street where we both witnessed the first snow fall that year when we defined our relationship. This time I’m with Se Joo though, the boy I never got to introduce to her to answer the question to why I broke up with her.

The frigid wind managed to seep through my thick winter jacket, so I took the scarf that I was wearing and wrapped it around Se Joo’s neck. “Cold, huh?”

“Neh, appa. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, son.”

“Let’s go.” I said and it was strange because once I held my son’s hand, the first snow of the year coincidentally started falling, just like how it was that year.

“Appa!” My son squealed with his high-pitched voice. “It’s snowing!”

“Wa~ it is. It really is.”

It was a picture perfect night as Se Joo and I walked under the first snow of the year, reminding me of those days when she was still here, when she was still right by my side.

 

Se Joo and I were off to a night trip. We were on our way to the bus terminal and as we were walking down the streets, we passed by so many people who were enjoying the first snow like we were. We got to the bus terminal to go to the countryside and breathe some fresh air since the weekend starts tomorrow.

The bus finally reached its destination and only being on it for a few minutes, the view changed. It was a winter wonderland. Everything was already covered in snow. It was beautiful.

“Appa, I don’t want to sleep yet. Can we walk around more?” Se Joo asked me for a favor when we got of the bus.

“Okay, appa’s not tired either. Where do you want to go, son?” I asked him.

“Hmm… Let’s go eat food.” Se Joo smiled and dragged me to where he wanted to go.

Se Joo and I ate some fish cakes at a restaurant and enjoyed the view from the outside as the snow keeps on falling calmly. The atmosphere felt like we were in a snow globe that was being gently shaken.

“Appa, I’m done. I’m ready to sleep.” Se Joo informed me as he finished his 5th fish cake.

“Yeah, we’ll rent a room, so we can see your mother tomorrow.” I told my son and wiped his face with a napkin.

“Okay. Let’s go, appa.” Se Joo initiated our getaway.

 

On our way to the room we rented for the night, we passed by a restaurant and a silhouette of a woman caught my eyes. I halted and realized that Se Joo had no choice, but to stop and wonder what his father was doing.

“Appa, what are you looking at?” Se Joo asked me.

“A rose.” I simply answered.

After almost a decade… I finally saw her again. The rose I treasured. The rose I still loved up to this day. Although, I know for sure that I don’t have the courage to go near her or let her see me. I’m terrified of how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter