Under the Mistletoe

All of the Lights

Sehun's shivering with cold as he waits, rubbing his gloved hands together with a small sigh. He's always had to wait, but he doesn't hold it against Jongin because he likes to have the moments to himself to think.

This time, he thinks about all the Christmases they've shared together. These thoughts, somehow, make Sehun feel warmer.

From the first Christmas three years ago after they had become a couple. It was a tad awkward, neither of them having much experience in the dating field, let alone the first Christmas with your lover field. In between the poorly wrapped gifts, burnt dinner, and ordered in fried chicken, Sehun thinks it could have gone worse.

The second Christmas had gone much better. Sehun had been able to watch countless cooking shows and learned how to bake a very westernized Christmas dinner with little to no hassle. It was Jongin who had been the most proud of Sehun.

The third, they had just moved in together and were trying to get their bearings on that. Sehun had woken Jongin up with breakfast in bed, having become quite the housewife since he had received such a great reaction from the first time he cooked. However, they ended up with cold pancakes and swollen lips instead.

Over the passed year since Jongin had started his job with a big dance and ballet studio, Sehun had been coming after his classes and waiting for him until he got out. Though Sehun was on break for the holidays, Jongin was not. In between the papers and dance classes, the studio was running even on Christmas Eve. Sehun thought it was a little heartless of them, but he held his tongue in case Jongin got upset.

His face lit up when he saw Jongin bounding towards him, a toothy grin on his face. Sehun stood and enveloped Jongin in his arms, laughing quietly. "Took you long enough." He spoke into Jongin's ear.

"Sorry, I had a student who needed a little extra help."

"Or they just wanted to stare at you longer." Sehun grinned as he pulled back, eyes bright even in the darkening sky. Jongin is awestruck for a minute as he suddenly compares Sehun from six years ago to the Sehun right now.

They had just met and Sehun was just starting his second year in high school, as he was. He transferred into Jongin's school a week after classes had started looking pale, almost like porcelain. Sehun was thin now, but the past Sehun had been like skin and bones.

Both of his parents had passed away during the summer. His mom in an accident, and his dad six weeks later from suicide. Sehun hadn't been taking it well since his grandma, living in Busan, had begun paying for a small rooftop apartment for him so he didn't have to uproot everything and move across the country.

But, even though there were bags and dark bruises under Sehun's eyes, Jongin had found him beautiful. He thinks Sehun is more breathtaking, though, healthy, and with a smile on his face.

"Shall we go, Sehun-ah?" Jongin asks, hooking his arm through Sehun's with a grin. He doesn't wait for Sehun to reply before he's walking towards the bus station, determined to get Sehun out of the cold.

"Let's get some dinner before going to see the lights, please, Jongin?" Sehun asks as he looks at Jongin, unnecessarily cute as he blinks.

Jongin answer with a noise of protest, scoffing. "Why are you acting cute? I'm starving, there's no need." He pushes Sehun's face away playfully, shaking his head.

With full stomachs and happy smiles, the two set off towards the park where they had a huge display of Christmas trees and lights for visitors to look through and enjoy. They gone the last two years since the park decided to do it, naming it their formal Christmas Eve tradition.

This late at night, the park was practically empty even though it was the best time to look at lights and then up at the stars. It made Sehun feel alive, bursting with energy and light. Jongin just loved seeing the lights in Sehun's eyes, remembering a time when not even a glimmer could be seen in endless black.

It hadn't been hard falling for Sehun, Jongin smiles to himself as he reminisces, both of them quietly walking with clasped hands, lost in their own thoughts and wonderment. Despite the misery, Sehun was just like any other kid. He danced, something that sparked Jongin's initial interest. He was good, too, which made Jongin yearn to know more. Between dance classes, they began to speak, eating lunch together and falling into an easy friendship.

The first time he saw Sehun smile was when he had finally perfected a particularly hard dance routine. It had blown Jongin away. Drenched in sweat and panting, Jongin had fallen in love with Sehun at just that moment.

When he thinks about it, the whole thing seems pretty silly. Falling in love with someone at their happiest moment. He should have fallen in love on the nights Sehun had spent crying with him on the phone as he revealed how lonely he felt. Or the weekends he came and stayed at Sehun's place, eating ramyun and peppero.

Maybe, Jongin realizes, he had been falling in love all along, he just didn't realize it until he had seen every side of Sehun.

 

By the time they remove themselves from their thoughts and looked towards each other, they were practically beaming, hands clasped tight. Even though there really was no need for words, and Sehun wasn't really one for them, he felt like he had to say it or else he would explode. “I love you, Jongin.” He whispered, voice catching with emotion.

 

“I love you, too, Sehun.” Jongn replied, biting down on his lip. “I actually brought my present for you with me.” He nodded, digging in his pocket.

 

“Mine's still at home-” Sehun began in protest before Jongin opened the small box in front of Sehun's face. Sehun gasped quietly, eyes growing wide as Jongin dropped to his knee.

 

“Even though it's not allowed here, I want to marry you, Sehun. We've been together for a long while, even as just friends. And I can't imagine anyone I'd rather be with for the rest of my life.”

 

Sehun was having a hard time forming thoughts as he looked down at the small gold knot ring. With a deep breath, he nodded. “Yes. Yes. Of course. I'd be an idiot not to say yes.”

 

Jongin grinned, pointing up to the mistletoe hanging above Sehun's head. Sehun followed the motion, chuckling as Jongin rose to both his feet. “So, kiss me, stupid.”

 

Sehun wasted no time before leaning down to press his lips to Jongin's, lips lingering before pulling back to rest his forehead again Jongin's. “I love you so much.” He repeated.

 

Not beta'd because lazy and last minute. Wooo

Merry Christmas~!!!!