Peppermint Pastime

Peppermint Pastime

"So what do you want to do?" You heard your boyfriends voice from the other side of the room. The tone was enough to have you look up for a split second from your book to spot him sitting at the kitchen table. "What do you mean ‘what do I want to do?" You returned, eyes already fixated on the letters in front of you again. It was an interesting story, one of those that would you into its world and didn’t plan to let you out before you finished exploring every corner of it. You heard Cheolyong sigh, an obvious reaction to your inability to put some sort of enthusiasm into your voice. Meanwhile he got up, though you were hardly aware of that until he snatched your book away. You instantly glared at him while he dangled the book above your head. "In case you haven’t noticed: I’m home." Cheolyong announced, the look in his eyes telling you he expected a good reaction from you. So you gladly obliged. "You are?" You exclaimed in such an tone it was obvious you were purposely overacting your surprise. Of course you were aware of the fact he was home; he just stole your book. Unfortunately, that was not the sort of reaction he has been hoping for; making him glare right back at you while you only smirked. "I mean.." he started, while shaking the book a bit. It made you cringe in fear of him ripping the papers or something, but you kept your mouth shut. "..I am free today. No practice, no shows, no recordings… no.. nothing really." He continued, a huge smile on his face since he knew this was good news. 

This time it was your turn to really be surprised, bewildered by this fact. You had been so absorbed in this book you really paid no attention to the fact he indeed seemed to be relaxing so far. It was a big contrast compared to his usual hurried behaviour when he was almost late for some schedule. Actually, when you looked up, it was the first time you realized it was past noon already. “Oh….” You then mumbled, understanding now why he didn’t like the fact that you hardly paid any attention to him so far. After all, a free day usually meant spending quality time together. And for the past 3 hours you had been ignoring him. 

Looking up with a guilty and apologetic look, you met the eyes of your boyfriend. He rolled his eyes but had his usual smile on his face that warmed your heart. He knew very well how you were when you finally had a good book in your hands. And normally he never complained - he had enough mangas to read himself - but today was not one of those days.  “So yeah, I am home and I’d very much like to spend time with my girlfriend now that I can.” He grinned while plopping down next to you. The book had been dropped on the coffeetable and although you sadly looked at it for a second or two, you quickly turned your attention back onto Cheolyong. “Well I definitely agree to that.” You retorted, grinning back at him.

"So?" He then said and your eyebrows quirked. "So?" you repeated, unsure what he meant by that. "Any ideas, silly?" He explained; curiously looking at you.  "Uhmm, usually you are the ones with the great ideas Mister… like the skydiving! Or that trip to Busan last mont. Or Jeju island..Yup, I’m so counting on you here." You pointed out, eyebrows raising expectantly at him while you leaned back casually in the couch. Cheolyong made a face, knowing you were right.."But today I really have no idea.." he admitted while you watched his forehead wrinkle. "Well me neither." you agreed with a sigh. Causing you both to stare in front of you in silence.

Many ideas came to your head but they all felt lame and boring compared to the things you two usually did. It was a fact that for most couples things like strolling through Hongdae was enough, but you two got bored easily. Granted, there had been times when you had more ‘calm’ dates, but even then it felt like there was always something exciting and special added to it. Now all you could think of where things like going to the movies or going to eat icecream.. Icecream. The idea popped up in your head and suddenly made you aware of how much you wanted icecream right now. Suddenly, you got up and walked to the kitchen.”Okay I’m taking some icecream. We still have time and we can think while we eat…How about that?” you suggested, figuring you might as well satisfy your need to eat some icecream while the two of your thought about a possible plan for a date. Plopping down next to Cheolyong again, you offered him a spoon and opened the bucket of Peppermint icecream from Baskin Robbins.

"Oh that looks good." he commented, watching as you already dug in. The lovely taste of the peppermint was fresh and cold on your tongue, but tickled your tastebuds as it melted. "Hmmmm." you practically moaned at the amazing taste and watched happily while your boyfriend reacted the exact same way. "We should’ve started doing this sooner." he commented in between bites. You nodded in agreement. "Well, I was trying to keep the bucket hidden for when I was on my own.." you admitted with a chuckle. After all, it was some damn good icecream. "Ya!" Cheolyong exclaimed, practically making you jump up in surprise and drop your spoon. Apparantly the sight had been a funny one, since you heard Cheolyong laugh loudly while you reached over to grab your spoon again. "Ugh now I need a new one!" you complained, getting up while he took the bucket on his lap and eagerly took another bite. "Don’t dare eating all of it!" you warned, while you raced towards the kitchen to grab a new spoon. "Omnomnomnom!" you heard your boyfriend tease before he stuffed more ice into his mouth. "Don’t..you..dare!" you raced back at him and dropped down in the couch. Unfortunately, that made him spill the ice that was still on his spoon. Causing it to land on his T-shirt.

"Oh my god, oh my god! Aaaahh it’s cold!" he squealed, feeling the cold of the food go through the thin material of his clothing. You couldn’t surpress your laughter and shook your head while taking some icecream yourself. "Yah! You’re not supposed to laugh! This is your fault!" he complained, seemingly completely shocked at the fact that you were ignoring how he whimpered because of the cold and wet feeling. "My fault? This is not m-" you started to defend yourself but he surprised you by hitting your arm from below. Before you knew it the scoop of icecream fell from your spoon and landed on your bare legs. Why did you decide to wear a skirt today again? Making the same noises as he had done right before you, you quickly pushed the icecream on the ground. "Why the hell did you do that!? Now my floor is dirty and it was freaking cold!" you groaned, before glaring at him. But he was busy eating icecream again. Without a second of doubt you dug your own spoon in again, taking a quite big amount of ice. For once you didn’t hesitate as your hand grabbed the ice cold texture and moved to press it against his face.

Cheolyong definitely did not see that one coming, and with a very high squeal, he backed off in the couch. “Oh you did not ju-” he started, cut off by your words: “Oh I think I just did.” You had about 5 seconds before his hands was in the bucket and ice was smeared all over your cheek. “Yaaa!” you yelled while grabbing his hands and trying to keep him from grabbing more. Or maybe he was grabbing your hands to do the same? It turned into a full-on wrestling game; the two of you trying to put as much strength into it as you could to keep the other from smearing more ice onto your face. Until… he had your wrist in a tight lock with one hand and his other was reaching for the bucket on the ground. “Let me go!” you insisted, though you knew he was definitely in the winning position. His body had pinned yours onto the couch, your hands were above your head and he looked at your face with a big smile. “Nah-ah, not happening.” Cheolyong returned, you knew you were done for. He’d have his way with you. “What are you…no no no.” you said, watching his other hand, covered in peppermint, come closer. “You look quite adorable with all the icecream. It just needs a little bit more of this..” he continued, smearing it all over your mouth.

"Ahhh it’s cooooold." you whined, making a face while your boyfriend laughed. But you couldn’t move. "My poor baby. Should I take away the coldness?" he giggled, little lights sparkling brightly in his eyes. "Yes!" you reacted instantly, wanting him to release you and whipe away the ice. Though what you didn’t expect, was him to lean in and press his lips against yours. The peppermint taste combined with the sweet flavour of his lips; it had your eyes open widely before they closed again in a moment of pure bliss. His kiss was so sweet, so gentle and..warm. Instantly you reciprocated it, allowing him to deepen the kiss. Feeling how he released your hands, you quickly moved to take his face in between them, gliding through his soft hair and pulling him closer. Your heart was fluttering rapidly; mirroring your excitement and the happiness you felt as the two of you shared the kiss. And with a small shock you realized this was it… The two of you didn’t need thrilling activities or shocking adventures to have a good date. All you needed was each other… A little content moan came from your boyfriend’s lips, confirming that this was indeed one of the best dates you two ever had.