12 days of christmas

12 days of christmas

On the first day of Christmas, Jongin finds a single origami crane and an origami tree in his locker. He frowns at the tiny white figurine that sits among his books. He wonders how they got there. They were really cute. Jongin moves them to a safer spot in his locker so that they don't get crushed by his books before going off for his next class. On his way, he meets Minseok hyung who informs Jongin of today’s cafeteria menu and reminds Jongin to avoid the meatloaf, to which Jongin thanks him gratefully. Jongin knew he could always rely on his Minseok hyung when it came to food matters.

On the second day of Christmas, Jongin finds another two origami cranes in his locker. He scratches his head in bewilderment. His locker is cramped with books and he is a little worried that the additional cranes might be crushed. He leaves a small note in his locker. "Whoever you are, please don't put the cranes in my locker anymore." Before going off to meet Luhan hyung to discuss about their end of year performance. Luhan was currently in a dilemma between performing a ballad with the vocals in their group and performing with the dancers. Jongin and Luhan with ten other males belonged to the same afterschool club named EXO where all of them loved performing.

On the third day of Christmas, Jongin opens his locker and is both relieved and disappointed to see no new cranes except the three which are currently situated on his books. But he does find a reply to his note: check your table :). And that is how Jongin acquires another three origami paper cranes when he gets to class. Jongin wonders who the one behind these cranes is. Sure, they are a really cute gesture. But Jongin would prefer if he knew who the sender was. Jongin is busy examining the cranes for any hints when he bumps into Kris-hyung who gives Jongin an awkward smile and a “Yo.”. All Jongin knew was that Kris was Chanyeol’s best friend who loved to draw despite his lack of talent in the art department. But no one dared to tell Kris how horrible his art was due to his extremely handsome appearance except for his boyfriend slash muse Kim Joonmyeon.

On the fourth day of Christmas, Jongin finds another four that were placed in a small boat and left in the EXO clubroom. Jongin scratches his neck, flushing as he reads the note: Jongin ah, good luck for the end of year performance. Xoxo “Jongin, are you okay?” the leader of EXO group Kim Joonmyeon questions Jongin worriedly when he noticed that the younger was a little red. “I’m fine hyung.” Jongin assures Joonmyeon and although Joonmyeon knows that Jongin was not telling the truth, he chooses to let it go because he is an understanding hyung.

 

On the fifth day of Christmas, there are no paper cranes. Instead, Jongin finds five origami rings, each in a small box on his table. Jongin realizes that there seems to be a pattern behind the origami gifts, but he just cannot recall anything. “What’s worrying your pretty head?” Yixing asks when he sees Jongin scrutinizing the five rings.

 

“I don’t know hyung. It’s just that these few days, I’ve been receiving some weird gifts.” “Weird gifts?” Jongin then proceeds to tell Yixing about the paper cranes, the tree and today-the five rings.

 

“Hmmm.” Yixing considers the gifts thoughtfully. A minute later, his eyes light up and he claps his hands excitedly, “I get it!” he exclaims.

 

 “What do they mean?”

 

“On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me- a partridge in a pear tree.

On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me- two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.

On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me-three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me-four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree.

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me-five golden rings. Four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree.”

 

Yixing nods to himself happily after finishing the first five lines of the song.

 

“Oh wow.” Jongin stares at the five rings thoughtfully.

 

“But that person must really like you, to be sending you all these cute gifts.” Yixing smiles happily at Jongin, glad that Jongin finally had something else to think about besides sleep, eat and dance. “Do you have any idea who might have sent this?”

 

“I don’t know.” Jongin shrugs embarrassedly after realizing the meaning behind the gifts.

 

“It’s alright, don’t worry so much. I’m sure the person will make herself or himself known to you soon.”

 

“But what if I don’t like the person.”

 

“That is indeed a legit problem. But I think you should just take each step, one gift at time

.”

 

“Thanks hyung for helping.” Jongin smiles at Yixing gratefully.

 

“No problem kiddo.” Yixing laughs, ruffling jongin’s hair before he leaves to meet Jongdae.

 

Although Jongin is a little curious as to why Yixing hyung knows the lyrics to the 12 days of Christmas, he keeps quiet as he realizes that tomorrow would be the 6th day and since the birds were usually paper cranes, he would be given six paper cranes. Jongin was starting to run out of space for all these gifts. Hence after school that day, Jongin goes to the stationery shop to purchase a box to place all the gifts carefully so that he could admire them. He wonders if the person sending all these gifts would really confess to him by the end of the twelfth day.

 

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me- six geese a laying

 

True enough, on the sixth day of Christmas, Jongin receives 6 paper cranes. Jongin struggles to fit all six cranes into his not so big hands and drops a few of them as he takes them out of his locker. Baekhyun who was just passing by helps Jongin to ferry a few of the cranes with his long elegant fingers as they walk home together. Jongin nods thoughtfully as Baekhyun rattles off about the latest gossip he and Tao had managed to gather.

 

 

“Oh oh, do you know, just a few days, ago Chanyeol came to me and told me that he had someone he liked. I can’t believe that guy has someone he likes besides his instruments and rapping. But he didn’t tell me who the person was; just that he was going to confess on Christmas day. How lame is that, plus why can’t he tell me-his best friend, who he likes.” Baekhyun huffs.

 

Jongin is glad that they arrived at his house just in time. “Hyung, I’m sure he will tell you soon.” Jongin assures and Baekhyun merely pouts before flouncing off.

 

On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me- seven swans a swimming

 

Jongdae breaks down in laughter when he sees his cousin struggling with the seven cranes. “Hyung.” Jongin whines as he tries to prevent the cranes from being crumpled.

 

“Yixing told me about your secret admirer. I guess it is really true then.” Jongdae giggles.

 

“Of course it’s true. But a little help here please.” Jongin whines as he drops a crane. Jongdae kindly obliges by holding onto one crane as Jongin places them in the box.

 

“You’re one lucky kid to have such a dedicated admirer.” Jongdae teases and Jongin flushes. Up till today, the sender of the gifts was still a mysterious entity and Jongin would be lying if he said he was not excited to find out who his secret admirer was.

 

“Do you have any idea who might actually have the misfortune to fall in love with you?” Jongdae says jokingly and Jongin aims a light kick at his cousin’s shin.

 

“I don’t know? Do you know anyone who is good at folding origami?”

 

“Nope. But good luck in finding out whom the person is.” Jongdae smiles slyly, as if he knows who the person might be before he goes off in search of Yixing who had probably lost his way in their school.

 

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me- eight maids a milking

 

A paper cutout of eight girl figurines hang across jongin’s lockers and he removes them carefully, folding them into a single girl figure and tucks it carefully into his bag before retrieving the books he requires for the day. Jongin then closes his locker just in time to see Chanyeol approaching.

 

“Good morning Jongin ah!” Chanyeol greets cheerfully and Jongin replies with a nod and small smile. He was not that close to Chanyeol hyung even though Chanyeol belonged to EXO too. His impression of Chanyeol was of a giant elf that was always overly cheerful and enthusiastic. Being a lazy person in nature except when it came to dancing, Jongin  much preferred hanging around with Sehun or lay. But he could not deny that he found the tall older boy a little attractive, with the body of a model and handsome face (when he was not smiling too brightly)

 

“Are you looking forward to Christmas? I sure am!” Chanyeol announces brightly, lanky frame bouncing up and down excitedly.

 

Jongin nods again and it seems to satisfy Chanyeol. “You’re so cute Jongin ah! See you around then!” Chanyeol bounds off presumably in search of his best friend Baekhyun and Jongin is surprised when he finds himself agreeing with chanyeol’s sentiments. Jongin was indeed looking forward to Christmas.

 

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me- nine ladies dancing.

 

Just like the previous day, a paper cutout of girl figures hung across jongin’s locker festively, the only difference being there were nine instead of eight today.

 

“That’s really cute.” Kyungsoo comments as he walks past jongin’s locker.

 

“Thanks.” Jongin scratches the back of his neck embarrassedly.

 

“Cookie?” Kyungsoo offers, holding out a bag of what looked like Christmas cookies.

 

“Sure. Thanks!” Jongin eagerly takes out a star shaped cookie and chews off an arm of the star. He regrets it immediately when the spiciness overwhelms him and Jongin is nearly on the verge of choking.

 

“Glad to see that they work.” Kyungsoo says smugly.

 

“Work?” Jongin questions weakly.

 

“They’re for naughty children who try to steal my cookies. I wanted a guinea pig and you appeared.” Kyungsoo smirks before walking away as if he had not just offered Jongin a cookie overdosed with ginger spice and chili.

 

Jongin groans and leans again the lockers for support, the horrible taste still lingering.

 

“Water?” Chanyeol offers as he appears suddenly. Jongin jumps up in shock but accepts the water gratefully.

“Kyungsoo and his experiments.” Chanyeol shakes his head and Jongin replies with a weak smile.

 

“I should have known better than to try his cooking.”

 

“Well to make up for that horrible experience, how about I treat you to chicken on Friday after school? If you are free that is.”

 

Jongin cannot recall having any plans on Friday and he was not one to pass up on a chicken treat. Hence he agreed and was amazed by the huge smile that graced chanyeol’s face. Jongin felt his heart speed up a little bit, but shrugged it off as himself being too excited at the prospect of eating chicken.

 

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me-ten drummers drumming.

 

Jongin is amazed by the ability of his secret admirer-being able to create these paper art so masterfully. Jongin smiles to himself as he marvels at the paper cutout of ten figures with drums. But on closer analysis, Jongin realizes that the paper cutouts actually resemble the members of EXO club albeit missing two. He finds it weird that only him and Chanyeol are missing from the cutouts but concludes that is was probably because the person was wanted to adhere to the lyrics and there were only ten figures instead of twelve.

 

“What is that?” Tao asks curiously. “Is that a Korean tradition? To give paper cutouts as Christmas presents?”

 

“Absolutely not.” Baekhyun laughs as he joins them and steals one of jongin’s fries. “That is just a gift from Jongin’s secret admirer.”

 

Jongin splutters and blushes. “Who is that person?” Tao questions.

 

“Jongin will probably get the answer on Christmas day.” Baekhyun provides helpfully and jongin’s eyes widen.

 

“Hyung! You know who the person is?”

 

“Maybe, maybe not.” Baekhyun sing-songs.

 

Jongin groans and sinks back down into his chair. Two more days before he would find out whom the person was, two more days before Friday, two more days before Christmas.

 

On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me- eleven pipers piping.

 

“just one more day.” Sehun reminds Jongin who is carefully folding the cutouts. “What do you think he will give you tomorrow?”

 

“He?”

 

“I mean the person. I don’t know if he is a girl or boy.” Sehun backs away slowly from his best friend, inwardly groaning at his slipup.

 

“Do you know something I don’t know?” Jongin advances towards Sehun who shrinks back in fear.

 

“I promised the person I would keep it a secret for him. You will know who he is tomorrow anyway.” Sehun tries to save the situation.

 

“You’re my best friend! How can you not tell me you know who my secret admirer is?” Jongin whines and violently shakes Sehun.

 

“It’s your own fault for being so oblivious.” Sehun retorts. Jongin merely looks confused and Sehun sighs.

 

“This person has been in love with you for a long time and has been painfully obvious about it. Just that you never realized because you were too caught up in your dancing.”

 

“Are you serious.”

 

“Do I look like I’m kidding.” Sehun replies pointedly. Jongin groans and resumes shaking sehun violently.

 

“Oh my god! What are you doing to my Sehunnie?!”Luhan cries as he runs over to save Sehun from the evil clutches of Kim Jongin.

 

“He won’t tell me who my secret admirer is. Luhan-ge, do you know anyone who folds origami really well.”

 

“If you had paid more attention besides dancing and dozing off, you would have your answer easily.” Luhan sticks out his tongue playfully.

 

“Why does it seem like everyone knows who that person is besides me.” Jongin whines childishly.

 

“Open your eyes big little one and you will realize to whom you have become an object of affection to.” Luhan says solemnly before breaking out in giggles, accompanied by Sehun who bursts out in guffaws. Jongin frowns before walking away from the laughing couple.

 

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me- twelve lords a leaping.

 

Disappointment is a huge understatement as to what Jongin feels when he realizes that there is no origami gift today. Jongin is also really confused and he stares at his locker for a good five minutes, mulling over the absence of gifts. It is Christmas day today and Jongin had really been looking forward to knowing who his secret admirer was. Oh well, at least he still has the chicken treat from Chanyeol hyung today, was the thought Jongin comforted himself with.

 

“Hey Jongin, no origami today?” Kyungsoo teases. Jongin’s eyebrows shoot up.

 

“Hyung, do you know who is the person who had sent the gifts?”

 

“Of course.” Kyungsoo grins.

 

“Who is he?”

 

“I see that you know that the person is a male already.”

 

“Sehun was the one who accidentally revealed to me. But why does it seem like everyone knows who he is except for me.” Jongin pouts.

 

“There’s more to life than just dance.” Kyungsoo replies oh so wisely.

 

Jongin groans, why were his friends always blaming his love for dancing? Dance was his life and Jongin lived for dancing, and maybe chicken too. But Jongin admits that he does feel a little happy and excited to know that there was actually someone interested in him.

 

“Hey Jongin!” Chanyeol bounds down the hallway towards Jongin and Kyungsoo with a wide grin on his face-typical Chanyeol.

 

“Hi Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo deadpans and walks away. Chanyeol shrugs and turns to face Jongin, the huge smile still plastered across his face. Jongin wonders if it hurts to smile so wide.

 

“Merry Christmas! Are you ready for that chicken treat today?”

 

Jongin nods, smiling at the thought of fried chicken.

 

“Awesome! I will meet you straight at your favourite chicken shop.”

 

“You know where my favorite chicken shop is?”

 

 “Of course! You’re my favorite dongsaeng, hence I need to know your favorites too. Anyway see you later.” Chanyeol nods excitedly before taking off after Baekhyun who just arrived in school.

 

For some reason, Jongin feels a little guilty that Chanyeol at least makes it a point to know where jongin’s favorite chicken shop is when Jongin does not even know much about Chanyeol despite them having been friends for almost six years. It was only recently that Jongin realized how much Chanyeol actually cared for him while Jongin only cared about his dancing and nothing else. With these puzzling thoughts, Jongin promptly forgets about his last missing gift from his secret admirer.

 

Jongin arrives at his favorite chicken shop still contemplating about his relationships with the people around him. The shop owner recognizes him immediately. “Jongin ah! Welcome and a merry Christmas to you!” she greets him enthusiastically and directs him to a booth in a corner of the shop. Jongin looks around for Chanyeol, but the tall giant is nowhere to be seen. The shop owner seems to notice this, “just wait here, the tall kid called Chanyeol said he will be here shortly.” She explained. Jongin nodded and sank back down into the soft cushioned seat, fiddling with his phone.

 

Sehun: Are you there yet?

 

Jongin: where?

 

Sehun: the chicken shop duh

 

Jongin: how do you know that?

 

Sehun: Erm… Kyungsoo told me?

 

Jongin: Are you sure?

 

Sehun: of course! Have fun with Chanyeol hyung ;D

 

Jongin: fun?

 

Just as Jongin sends a reply, he hears the front door jingle open. He looks up to see Chanyeol entering the shop awkwardly, hiding something behind his back. Chanyeol spots Jongin but instead of smiling widely like he always did, he seemed to look really nervous instead. Jongin sits up as Chanyeol nears the booth.

 

“Hey Jongin.”

 

“Hi hyung.”

 

“Erm…” Chanyeol scratches the back of his neck nervously. “ how do I do this.”

 

Jongin is confused.

 

Chanyeol brings the hand behind his back to the front. Jongin’s jaw drops. Chanyeol is holding a huge boquet of what looks like, red origami roses. “Merry Christmas Jongin-ah. I am the one who has been sending you the origami gifts.”

 

“W-why?”

 

“Because I like you, I have liked you since we were young. But you never realized.” Chanyeol continues to hold out the bouquet and Jongin accepts it hesitatingly.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t return my feelings. I just wanted to let you know because next year will be my last year.”

 

“Thanks hyung. It’s just that---I’ve never thought that you might like me or anyone liked me for that matter. I’m just really surprised.” Jongin explains.

 

“It’s alright. We can still remain as friends, Jongin-ah.”

 

“B-but.”

 

“As long as you’re happy, I’m fine with anything. I know this is really sudden so I don’t want to rush you into anything. If you want me to leave now, you can say so.”

 

“No no. sit down first. I need some time to think, and some chicken to eat.”

 

“okay.” Chanyeol says unsurely, but he smiles a little because it seems like there is indeed hope for him since Jongin did not ask him to leave or outrightly reject him.

 

“thanks for the roses, and the rest of the gifts too. They are really pretty and I really like them.” Jongin mumbles halfway through his second chicken drumstick. Chanyeol looks up from his chicken nuggets, face blooming into a smile.

 

“I’m glad you like them. I wanted to be original but I didn’t know if origami gifts seemed a little too cheap.”

 

“It’s the thoughts that count hyung. Really, thank you.” Jongin smiles as he becomes a little comfortable being with Chanyeol.

 

“no problem. I really like folding origami! Is there anything you would like me to fold for you,”

 

“chicken.” Jongin blurts out and regrets his words immediately when he sees chanyeol’s stunned face. “I meant a ballerina, yeap a ballerina.” Jongin hurriedly changes his statement.

 

Chanyeol smile returns and he chuckles, “sure, I will fold you a ballerina. And maybe a chicken too if I can find instructions on folding origami chicken.”

They’re walking out of the shop when jongin’s phone alerts him of new messages.

 

EXO group:

 

Sehun: has he confessed yet??!!

 

Jongin: whut?

 

Luhan: did he say yes?

 

Kyungsoo: did he say yes?

 

Baekhyun: did he say yes?

 

Kris: did he say yes?

 

Yixing: did he say yes?

 

Jongdae: did he say yes?

 

Tao: did he say yes?

 

Joonmyeon: did he say yes?

 

Minseok: did he say yes?

 

Chanyeol: Not yet >.<

 

Jongin: why is it that everyone knows that Chanyeol hyung likes me?

 

Baekhyun: because it is so damn obvious!!

 

Jongdae: plus we have been dropping you hints~

 

Yixing: why do you think I knew the lyrics to the song?

 

Minseok: we helped Chanyeol think of this plan to confess to you.

 

 

Jongin looks up at his phone to look at Chanyeol who glances back shyly.

 

“you really like like me hyung?”

 

“of course! I wouldn’t just fold origami roses for anyone except my mom and you.”

 

“I think we can try. I think I wouldn’t mind dating if it was you.” Jongin admits, smiling shyly.

 

“are you serious?” Chanyeol looks at Jongin, eyes so full with hope that Jongin has the urge to take chanyeol’s face in his hands and-

 

“I mean since we are already in the same school and club and everything, it would not really make much of a difference. Just that we could spend more time together.” Jongin offers. The smile that Chanyeol rewards him with is so blinding and Jongin gasps in surprise as Chanyeol suddenly hugs him, lifting him off the ground before putting Jongin back down on solid ground hurriedly.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m just really happy that you agreed to be with me.”

 

“it’s alright. Just give me your hand.”

 

Chanyeol stares at him confused but obediently offers his hand to Jongin. Jongin places his own smaller palm against chanyeol’s palm, lacing their fingers together. “let’s go home. I need a nap after all that chicken.” Looking away because he knows that chanyeol’s face now was probably too bright to look at.

 

“you can reply them now.” Jongin nudges Chanyeol as he walks Jongin home, their fingers comfortably interlaced together. Chanyeol hurriedly types in his phone.

 

Chanyeol: he said yes!!!!!!! He agreed to go out with me!!! :DDDDD <333

 

Kris: yay! Congratulations! :D

 

Joomyeon: Congratulations! :D

 

Minseok: Congratulations! :D

 

Tao: Congratulations!!! :D <3

 

Yixing: yay!

 

Sehun: finally~

 

Baekhyun: finally~

 

Luhan~ finally

 

Jongdae: ewwwww

 

Kyungsoo: yayyyy (please sense my overwhelming joy at your union)

 

Jongin smiles as he reads his friends’ messages, giggling at jongdae’s and kyungsoo’s response.

 

“We should kiss in front of Jongdae. Make him regret not congratulating us. I m-mean if you’re okay with that.”

 

“Yes we should do that.” Jongin grins, swinging their hands together back and forth.

 

 

When they reach Jongin’s doorstep, Chanyeol released their interlaced fingers reluctantly.

 

“Merry Christmas hyung. Thanks for everything.”

 

“Thank you to you too. For granting me my Christmas wish.”

 

Jongin feels a little bad that he did not have a present to give to Chanyeol despite all the cute gifts that Chanyeol had gave him, but he has an idea.

 

“Hyung, close your eyes.”

 

Chanyeol closes his eyes, waiting expectantly for Jongin’s next move. Jongin’s heart rate accelerates as he moves himself closer to Chanyeol, fingers reaching out tentatively to touch Chanyeol’s face. Chanyeol’s eyelids flutter but remain close. Jongin takes a deep breath, leans up on his toes and plants a soft and short kiss on chanyeol’s right cheek.

 

“thanks again for today hyung.” Jongin smiles shyly, stepping back in time to see Chanyeol blushing dazedly, staring at Jongin in amazement.

 

“Bye hyung. See you in school.”

 

“Can I walk with you to school from the station?”

 

“Why not.” Jongin replies.

 

“G-great great. See you on Monday then.” Chanyeol stammers as he stumbles backwards down the porch, never taking his eyes off Jongin.

 

“see you. Be careful on your way home.” Jongin waves and Chanyeol mentally squeals at how cute Jongin is. Chanyeol can’t wait to tell Baekhyun how Jongin kissed his cheek, and he can’t wait for Monday to come.

 

 

 

 

 

 A/N: i'm sorry that this is a day late OTL. i hope you people will like this >.< please comment and feedback :D

p.s sorry for any errors lol and that i changed the gift for the twelfth day of christmas haha >.<