The Stronghold Beneath the Dungeon of Memories

The Mage, the Underdog, and the Lonely

A/N: Sorry about the wait, it's been crazy busy and I feel uber stressed. There will be one more chapter :)

***

                Chansung eyed the basement door quietly. A presence had been trying to lure him down here for days. He didn’t like it. Wooyoung had taken to avoiding them all again, for the millionth time in their immortal lives he was sure. Taecyeon and Junho seemed different as well. Why he thought of them now of all times was beyond him. Junho had been acting a little more irritated but Taecyeon was giving him a lot more attention as well, after that night he’d sent him to check on the mage. It was almost as if they were bonded, but it would have to be fresh because they weren’t before. Shrugging he stole away from the basement door and moved to the upper levels. He needed to go and speak to them about something, maybe even ask about why it was strange around them. But then, something called after him and he turned. He noticed a black shadow flowing through the darkness. Picking up a quicker pace, he ran up to the main floor and found Changmin.

                “Have you been noticing something odd about the basement?” He asked him quickly, out of breath.

                “What do you mean?”

                Chansung shuddered at the tone. He shrugged and shook his head. “Nevermind. Are either Wooyoung or Junho around?”

                “Wooyoung is visiting Nichkhun and Junho is where he has been for the past few weeks, with Taecyeon in the library.”

                Chansung resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Changmin had noticed their odd closeness as well. Thanking him quietly he travelled up to the mage’s library and sought them out. What he found there astounded him more than Wooyoung being angry at them for drinking phantasia. Taecyeon was reading. Chansung had never been able to get him to read! Slowly coming to lurk behind the chair his lover sat in, he peered down. Leaning over the back of his chair he noticed the book was on intendeds. Shooting back he noticed Junho walking behind him. “Ah! Just who I was looking for.” He said, snapping Taecyeon out of his reading.

                “Me? What’s wrong?”

                “First, how did you get him to read?” He indicated to Taecyeon. The telling blush on Junho’s cheeks ensured it was a promise of bed activities.

                “I don’t think I need to explain.”

                “You two have been acting strange for weeks. Either spill or I’ll have no choice but to force a confession from one of you.” Chansung said and leaned against the chair. “You’re either embarrassed, Junho, or he did something that you didn’t want.”

                Junho covered his face and groaned. “Why are you so good at reading people?” He asked and smacked him with his book.

                “I’m obviously not good enough to know what happened.” Chansung cooed and his bottom lip. Junho was looking very appealing, and the only time Chansung saw someone who looked like this was after Wooyoung bonded with Taecyeon. “Besides, beloved mage, you and I entered this lifestyle at almost the same time. Give or take a couple of decades. Why wouldn’t I know when something about you is different?”

                Junho nibbled on his lower lip and smirked. Cunning, seductive mage. “I don’t think I’m the one you should be asking.”

                He turned immediately to the proclaimed culprit and found Taecyeon slouched into the chair, hand over his eyes. “Did he make you guilt-trip over something, my love?” Chansung soothed and trailed a finger down his shoulder.

                Taecyeon stared at him. “You’re being an .”

                “Hm,” Chansung smiled and rested a finger against his lip. “If you two have done something else that will potentially piss Wooyoung off, I’m going to savour the sight.” He said and turned back to the mage. “I doubt you want to be on the receiving end of another one of his lectures. He seems even more angry nowadays too.” He noticed a crack in the confident mask adorning the mage’s face. The phantasia incident was always going to be a sore spot for him. “So tell me, did you lure him or did he you, and is that why you are now bonded?” At seeing Junho on the brink of fleeing, Chansung smiled and hugged him close. He heard a subtle growl from Taecyeon. “Oh hush, I’m allowed.”

                Junho smiled up at him and rubbed his back. “What was the second?”

                “Second reason I came up?” The mage nodded. “Have you been noticing something strange about the basement?” He asked causing both to stare at him.

                “Strange how?” Junho asked and took a seat.

                “Like...I hear voices calling my name or see these little black wisps.”

                Junho’s eyes widened and he shot back onto his feet. “Little black wisps?”

                “Yes...” Chansung murmured.

                The mage had begun to pace back and forth. “First we started hearing things from the South Wing and now only you are hearing them from the basement-

                “The dungeon, you mean...” Taecyeon corrected.

                “Sorry, the dungeon. When was the last time any of us were down there?” Junho asked.

                “You know I haven’t been down there since my sentence was lifted.” Taecyeon reminded them.

                Chansung rested a hand against his neck and the man leaned back into him. “Don’t recall the memories...we all know.” He turned back to Junho. “I feel I myself haven’t been down there since that time as well. Wooyoung and Changmin venture down there but they may go to different rooms. Wooyoung also never goes there without someone...we all know he dislikes the darkness.”

                “Yes, but he would still venture in it...” Junho added and rubbed his neck. “But you don’t ever need to go down there...”

                Chansung nodded. “I don’t mind dark places, but I also wish not to go there if it isn’t necessary.”

                “You guys need to accept that part of yourselves – you’re dark immortals after all.” Junho scolded and flicked his nose. “Big guy like you, who should have accepted all his abilities already shouldn’t be afraid. Wooyoung and Nichkhun have phobias about the dark, and Taecyeon hates the basement, but there’s no reason to fear the darkness.” He urged and held his hand tightly. Chansung leaned down and kissed him gingerly. Junho gasped slightly and rested his hands against his sides.

                “Perhaps you need to teach us about its ways then, beloved mage. Is it due to the bond that you are so alluring these days?”

                Junho blushed madly. Lips and cheeks flushing from his eager touch.

                “I mean...you have always been but is this what happened when he came to visit?” Taecyeon bristled. “Found you too addictive to leave-

                Junho’s hands shot up and covered his mouth. He desperately shook his head and whimpered slightly. So it was true. “I can teach you about the dark but we’d have to go back to its roots.” Wishing to end the interrogation and return back to the more – or less, physically pleasing discussion.

                “So you do know things...” Chansung murmured. He wouldn’t deny wanting to taste those lips again. He’d forgotten how delicious someone tasted at the start of a fresh bond.

                “If I didn’t I would have died a long time ago.” Junho huffed and pulled him along to one of the back areas of his library. Chansung had never been this far in before. Junho gave him free reign of his library but half the time he couldn’t understand because they were in languages he couldn’t interpret. They stopped at a shelf filled with red-bound books. Junho reached up and grasped a velvet one. “Have you heard of Inferna?”

                Chansung’s whole body trembled. “Yes...Wooyoung brought it up briefly. It was when I asked him about the ultimate form...”

                “Did he say anything about it?” Junho asked, eyes wide.

                Chansung thought about how he should respond. Sure, Wooyoung had told him enough, but he wanted to hear Junho’s own interpretation. “Assume I haven’t been told anything...”

                “Okay...” Junho thumbed through the book. “Inferna was an ancient kingdom back in times before humans really lived in the world. It’s said that humans branched off from the people of inferna...what today are called the ultimate form. Inferna is called mistakenly the underworld but the literal translation is the ‘lower regions’. And so, there people were a mixture of all immortals, from mages to vampire. The language is...interesting, but once you figure it out its easy to read. Not many speak it today and some of the ancients don’t even know how to interpret it.”

                “How did you learn, Junho?”

                The mage went tight-lipped but then caved. “I was forced to learn it under Wren, the Old Warlock.”

                “Would that have been where Wooyoung acquired the knowledge?”

                Junho sighed and shrugged. “Wooyoung’s origins are mysterious. The more I have searched the world the more I wonder of the truth behind his birth, and I say birth because I know he was born. Something happened the night he was created, and I don’t think we’ll get the answers unless we speak to his masters.”

                “What do you mean?” He asked, leaning against the bookcase.

                “It’s because of his bonds, he has four right?” Junho pulled out a piece of paper. “I’ve already explained this to Taecyeon but everyone has a center. We all seek the parts that complete us, heart, mind, soul and blood. Sometimes there is a fifth part which is more intangible, and is called Being. I’ve had a hard time defining this one but from what I understand it is the final stage. Anyway, normally we find the four major pieces in one person, but Wooyoung needed four different people. If the person finds their kinship outside the realm of the underworld itself, they are more likely to only bond with one person. If it is within, they require at most one bond perhaps two. To have four bonds suggests...things.”

                Chansung looked at the diagram and accepted it once Junho handed it to him. “What does that mean?”

                “I don’t know yet. It isn’t coincidence that you bring up Inferna to me though...”

                “Why?”

                Junho shrugged, “only the royalty of Inferna, or the high families from the kingdom required four bonds in the intended circle. The fifth part is attained once all parts of the bonds are completed. If ever this process is interrupted, the person goes through intense pains, and only deep magic can cure them.”

                Chansung felt a shiver fly up his spine. “Could he have been a member of one of those families?”

                Junho shrugged. “I wouldn’t dismiss the theory. After all, we don’t really know Wooyoung’s true origins. Like...we don’t know who his mother was and he doesn’t either. Who was his father? Why didn’t any of his masters tell him? Why was – no – why is it a secret?” Junho seemed to have been harbouring these questions for a long time. He also looked relieved to finally be able to voice them.

                “What does this have to do with the dungeon?”

                “It’s the energy signature that I got from the South Wing and now what you have been reeling of since you got here. It’s the same energy, and I don’t recognise it. To be honest it makes me nervous.”

                Chansung looked at the opposite bookshelf before opening the book. Just as with the journal he found the words completely legible and it unnerved him. “Have I ever told you about my family?”

                Junho shook his head. “I’ve never wanted to pry. I don’t want you to remember anything terrible.”

                Chansung smiled fondly at him and tugged him closer. The mage seemed to be a little more flustered again. “You always make me feel comfortable, Junho. I know the only reason he isn’t coming over here to tear my arms off is because I’m one of his bonds.”

                The mage brightened, making his soul stir. “You and I are too saucy...” He whispered to him.

                “Makes life fun though...” He said back and allowed Junho to pull him down into another kiss. He needed to stop before he got too carried away. “We’re becoming too much like him.” He said, holding Junho closer.

                “Weaseling our way out of conversations with sensual things?” Junho chuckled.

                “Yes, and we didn’t like that.” Chansung mused and gripped the back of Junho’s shirt tightly. “As much as I wouldn’t mind taking you, you’re the only one I can have these conversations with and remain on track.” Junho smiled again and shuffled away slightly.

                “True, don’t let me fresh bondedness take you away.”

                Chansung sighed but nodded. “I am curious about many things right now, I mean I am always, but I feel the reason I read books is because I’m trying to find something. It’s only been recently that interesting things have been happening.” He explained and received a nod. “Perhaps that’s why I’ve been so avoidant, because I don’t truly understand my own existence...”

                Junho ran a hand along his arm and smiled. “Don’t worry, I think we’re all feeling a little distraught. But I’m happy I’m not the only one questioning things, because Wooyoung’s avoiding us isn’t going to help, but it’s revealing other curious things.” He said and stepped away. “You really don’t mind me being bonded to him, do you?”

                Chansung shook his head. “I’m surprised, though, I never thought you would go that far.” He said and began to look over the books. “Like me, you were probably wondering how people were going to react. If I weren’t so vested in certain things, I don’t think I would be able to resist you.”

                Junho blushed.

                “Even after all this time, being with Wooyoung, Taecyeon and I, you still blush.” He said and ran a hand over his cheek. “I’m glad you remained this way and not become like us. You remind me that life is beautiful.”

                “Chansung!” Junho gasped and tugged on his hand. “Stop embarrassing me...”

                “You’re not embarrassed, you’re just not used to me complimenting you.”

                “Fine, yes,” Junho huffed but allowed himself to be hugged close again.

                Chansung nodded. “Are all of these books about Inferna?”

                “No...not many books exist about Inferna or its people. I happened upon that book...” Junho tapped his chin. “Where was I?” Junho looked past him and shrugged. “Close to where you lived I believe...”

                “Do you know where that was? I feel I need to go back there.” Chansung almost begged, almost.

                Junho nodded. “Of course, I’m sure if you asked Wooyoung he would bring you there as well, Chansung.”

                He shook his head. “I want to go there with someone who wasn’t there at the time. Besides, Wooyoung has been hiding things from me.”

                “What am I chop liver?” Taecyeon called. “You’re being all cuddly and secretive in the bookcases and won’t invite me there, I might as well go.”

                “You’re welcome to come to if you want, I wasn’t going to not invite you...” Chansung grumbled but smiled fondly. To be truthful, he hoped Taecyeon would venture with them. He would feel that much safer.

                “Are you really sure you want to go there?”

                Chansung turned back to the mage who looked upon him with concern. “Yes,” he said.

                “Alright, come then let’s go.”

                “Right now?!” Taecyeon grumbled. “I don’t understand how to you can be all touchy feely and not doing anything about it.” He grumbled as he rounded the corner.

                “It’s because unlike you we don't have an unreasonable libido. I wish you would focus all that attention on Chansung for a bit and give me a break.” Junho grumbled. “And yes right now! Chansung wants to go – besides, it would be good to do it while Wooyoung is away. It’ll be a good bonding experience...” Junho huffed, hands on his hips.

                “A little more long-winded than you intended, beloved?” Chansung asked him.

                Junho pushed him slightly but they laughed anyway. “Besides Taecyeon, when have you ventured out with Chansung beyond the city limits since your guys’ adventure?”

                Taecyeon’s gaze moved over them, raking in the sight. Chansung had to look away before Taecyeon actually convinced them to stay. He doubted Junho would let them, but you never knew. “I haven’t, in fact never.”

                “Exactly. Chansung, you can get us there faster. Focus on the house and I’ll assist you with my magic.” Junho encouraged.

                Chansung felt a chill come over him at the thought of returning. He hadn’t been there in over 200 years. The house was probably gone. Junho and Taecyeon nodded to him. Focusing his energy, a feeling of nostalgia overcame him when they vanished and reappeared. A dense morning fog had shrouded the area, making it seem more eerie than necessary. Hearing Taecyeon inhale sharply he turned and reeled back. There the house still stood, damaged and weathered, but there nonetheless. The windows were knocked in, dark stains splattered the boards and the fog didn’t help his comfort level. He felt sick. Realising he was within Taecyeon’s arms he nodded briefly to him appreciatively. Junho gripped his hand tightly and they waited until he was ready.

                Letting his gaze fly over the property, it was as if he could still hear his sister’s screams, the cries of his father, and the pleas of his brothers. The house stood like a dark beacon on the lush landscape. The farmlands had grown over with shrub and tall trees now. Chansung almost didn’t recognise the barn. But then he became overwhelmed with emotion, and his heart thudded painfully in his ribcage. He so desperately wanted to cry and all he could do was scream. What had happened? Why did he feel so pitiful towards Nichkhun whom he should hate? Why did he want him to console him?

                When he felt calm, it was Junho now who faced him. His eyes looked far too deep and filled with too much understanding. “You must enter the house.”

                Chansung wanted to shake his head. He had made a mistake. He felt violently ill at the mention.

                “Listen to me, even I don’t understand why, I just know that you must enter the house.” Junho said shakily. “I’ll explain why but we must first see what happens.”

                Chansung eyed him suspiciously but let himself be pulled to his feet. He looked back at Taecyeon who encouraged him forward. Taking a slow step, it felt like it weighed a hundred pounds. As he strode even closer, he heard two thuds behind him. Noticing Taecyeon and Junho on the ground a well of positive emotion flourished in his chest. Junho rose quickly and reached out. When Chansung attempted to do the same Junho shook his head.

                “There’s a very strong ward here...” Junho said and looked around. “You passed right through but we cannot.”

                “Isn’t there a way?” Chansung asked shakily. “I wish not to go into the house myself.” He was whispering weakly now. There was no way he would enter the house if at least one of them couldn’t.

                “Then you, if I’m correct, you must announce permission for us to enter.” Junho said gently. His hand touched the barrier and shot back in pain.

                “How do I do that?”

                “Just speak the words. Not to break the barrier, but to permit us entry, only if you want to, Chansung.” Junho said and smiled brightly.

                “I...Hwang Chansung give Lee Junho and Ok Taecyeon, my kin and my partners access to the Hwang household and lands.” A tingle ran up his arm and the barriers flickered.

                Junho made a slow step through the ward and came all the way when he met no resistance. Taecyeon did the same but less confident and sure. They were with him again and he felt safe once more. He turned back to the house. “What does it mean that I was able to give permission for you to enter?”

                “You are the last remaining resident and heir. As such, you are the current master of the house.” Junho answered. “This is old magic. The only way it could have been enacted is if the head of house previous and any other heirs perished. Which means...you truly are the last.” Junho said sadly.

                Chansung nodded, “I know, I listened to them die.”

                “Chansung, we don’t have to go in.” Taecyeon said.

                He shrugged and strode up to the stairs. Stains, dark stains marred the earth. Kneeling down, a surge of power flew through him.

                “Mama!

                His eyes widened and he turned back to the others to find them just as still.

                “Can the earth hold memories?”

                “Yes...but it would mean something significant happened.” Junho said quietly. “And someone sought to preserve it, or it was a part of the original passage in the warding of the house.”

                “Can you call them up?”

                Junho hesitated but he came forward. “Are you sure you want to see? I’m wary about why the house still stands, Chansung, especially because of the doppelganger. He was made in your likeness. If wouldn’t surprise me if he would have the ability to step past the wards and give the person who created him permission to enter. Just...” Junho rubbed his temples and began to pace. “I know!” He beamed. He held out his hand. He muttered a few words, but then longer phrases in one of the tongues Chansung and Taecyeon did not know. Strange black designs appeared on the mage’s hands and his forehead. A flare of power exerted itself from his hands, moving back and stabilising around the house.

                Taecyeon caught Junho as he fell and Chansung made to move forward but Junho shook his head and righted himself. “You sure you’re alright?”

                “I exerted myself a little too much but I’m alright. I wanted to make sure that you were the sole authority over the property. To do that, I had to know if anyone else entered the barrier since the time your family lived here. No one has been here...” Junho said, voice hollow, tired. “Now, do you want to see what happened that day?”

                Chansung bit his lip until he bled. Junho gripped his chin and stopped him. “Yes, I want to...”

                Junho reached down and pressed his hand against his own. “Reveal the memories sought by the Head of House, Hwang Chansung.” Chansung couldn’t help but shiver at the power reeling off of the mage. He’d not been such a primary witness to Junho’s power before, and now it was funneling through him into the ground.

                “Today...is ominous.”

                Chansung glanced up. The grounds exactly as he remembered them that day. His mother looked up into the sky. He grasped Junho’s hand tightly now. They were back. Junho helped him to his feet. “Where is Taecyeon?”

                “He is in the real world.” Junho said. “I could have told him the spell-

                “No, this is fine. You will notice things he will not.”

                Junho pulled him back. “But to comfort you, he would do much better.”

                Chansung smiled tensely at him. “You belittle yourself again thinking you are less important to me.”

                Junho flushed guiltily. “That is what I believe.”

                Chansung leaned down. “Just stay close to me but keep your eyes and ears open.”

                “My other senses as well.” Junho assured.

                They each turned when they heard heavy steps coming. Nichkhun looked different, but the memory came to him as fresh as if this was playing in real-time.

                “Oh, Prince Horvejkul...” Chansung’s whole body bristled with recognition of those words. He’d only ever heard Wooyoung call Nichkhun that. His creator came ever nearer, the intent to kill reeling off of him. “Are you...” Nichkhun’s hand shot out and grasped . Chansung tightened his hold on Junho’s hand and wished to look away.

                “You don’t have to watch if you wish not to.” Junho assured. “I can be your eyes.”

                Chansung appreciated the offer but he had to see. Nichkhun began to pant as if fighting something or himself. He looked around as his mother squirmed in his grip. What was he looking for?

                “What...happ...ened..?” His mother managed and reached out. Her fingers ran down his face gently, coaxing. “Please...c...can’t....” The grip loosened and his mother caught her breath. “My prince, you must fight this blood inside you.”

                Chansung’s whole stomach plummeted. Something was inside Nichkhun making him this way. To say he was feeling relief was an understatement.

                “Bad blood...” Junho murmured. “A blood that makes you...”

                “S-Sorry...” Nichkhun interrupted. His hand shot out and Chansung watched helplessly as his mother’s head snapped back and she fell.

                “Ahhh!!!

                “Mama!!

                Chansung covered his eyes only for a second. He recalled his sister’s screams so vividly. He turned as Nichkhun passed through them and stalked towards them. He recalled the moment he heard them, how his brothers and extended family moved to act, but, they all came too late. His sisters were killed, in as quick a way as his mother was.

                “Girls?”

                Chansung turned surprised. He hadn’t thought his father arrived so early. Nichkhun turned as well.

                “Your highness...why are you..?” Chansung watched his father look upon his mother, his wife. Eyes feral, his father turned back and in an accused and defeated tone, cried, “we paid our price!” He ran to her side. “Why are you doing this? Why did you kill-

                Chansung physically jerked as Nichkhun’s hand through his father’s ribcage. “Junho...Junho I cannot...”

                “Look away. I am seeing something.” Junho assured. Chansung heard the body of his father fall.

                “What do you see?”

                “I’m not altogether sure yet, but have you ever heard of something called ‘berserk serum’?”

                Chansung shook his head as more sounds of pained cries, familiar, and ones he wished he could forget, re-entered his ears.

                “It is made from mixed blood, the blood of ferocity. However, to have broken the trance it has subjected him to it had to have been made with someone’s blood who is either a family member or a bonded. It’s the only way Nichkhun could have regained some consciousness. Blood of someone familiar, and we both know only one person who he is that close to and who has mixed blood.”

                Chansung turned to him. “Are you saying Wooyoung’s blood made him like this?”

                Junho shrugged. “Yes, it was prepared in the way that would cause Nichkhun to go ‘berserk’. It’s the only person we know of from Nichkhun’s past. Your mother eluded to it, but Nichkhun wouldn’t have been able to stop. Whoever did this was very strong and knew dark magic.”

                Chansung let Junho lead him into the house. “You’re opening my eyes and answering questions I cannot voice.”

                “Good, the more answers we get the faster this mystery will be solved.” They crept inside. Chansung knew where they needed to go. Junho let him take the lead once more and he brought them to the room he and his brother huddled within. “What happened when Nichkhun came into this room? Do you remember?”

                Chansung shook his head. “It was weird. This...strange feeling overcame me. My brother kept telling me he would never harm me. I tried to believe him but he’d already killed our whole family.”

                Junho nodded. “What was he to your family?”

                “I...I got really sick. Even to this day I know not what it was...” Chansung heard the floorboards creak behind him. Both turned to find Nichkhun, his eyes dark, blood covered him. “My family was sure I would die...and I would have if not for Nichkhun allowing the use of deep magic. He never told his family, but it was the only way to save me.”

                “Something that could only be cured by deep magic? Sounds like something ancient...” Junho murmured.

                “Please, your highness! We spoke to no one about the deep magic!” His older brother cried and stood before him. “Please have mercy.”

                Chansung could remember the tendrils of power running up and down his arms, both volatile and shielding. “We had to sacrifice something to heal me...” He murmured.  Nichkhun was reaching down towards his older brother. “I don’t remember. It feels blank whenever I try to think of it. My family gave something up in order to save me and I don’t know what from or why...” It pained him even more to think about it.

                “You were marked then, by something. Your family sacrificed their identity and all of your memories to protect you, and Nichkhun helped – which means he won’t remember either. It must have been before Wooyoung stumbled upon all of you.” Junho highlighted.

                “No!” Chansung heard himself sob. “Let my brother go! You monster!

                Chansung eyes fixated upon the scene. Someone had wanted his entire family dead and he didn’t know why. They used Nichkhun, who had a fresh bond and connection with Wooyoung, to kill the entire family, yet he was left alive: why? What sent him on this path? Why did he hide for two hundred years in the bowels of Wooyoung’s mansion, under his comfort? If the enemy was Wooyoung’s enemy, why didn’t he run? Why couldn’t he remember anything?!

                “Please...let me go...you’re not this person.” Chansung’s head snapped up. He watched his younger self reach up and brush over Nichkhun’s tear-stained face. He had been crying then? “I’ll fix it, just tell me what’s wrong.”

                Chansung felt a volley of pain in his chest and he collapsed to the floor. “Chansung?” Junho inquired.

                “I’m...sorry...”

                This wasn’t what he remembered. The memories left in the earth would not lie. Why had he forgotten this? His younger self screamed as Nichkhun sunk his fangs into his neck. This is what started the change. It was because of this, the penetrating of those fangs changed his life, but not as significantly as the ritual that saved him. Nichkhun did not treat his brother and him like his family members he slew before him. Why had he drank the blood of his brother and him?

                “N-Nichkhun...please...didn’t you promise to protect me forever..?

                Chansung’s hands fell limply to his sides. His head began to throb with pain as he tried to remember. Junho held him tightly. “Junho..? What happened to me and my family?” He asked brokenly.

                “I don’t know, and it seems no one does.” Was the only answer Junho could provide. “But knowing that you were affected by an ancient curse, one only cured by deep magic, speaks volumes to me and I promise I will figure it out.”

                In seconds, a bright light formed in the room and flared everywhere. Wooyoung was there between them, with a shake of his head he rubbed his forehead. “Changmin...we...were too late.”

                The older man ran to the doorway and looked around. “Oh no...

                “What the hell happened?! Why didn’t we know what was going on?!

                Even Chansung shook at the rage within Wooyoung’s tone.

                “I’m not sure. We didn’t even know this family was here.”

                Wooyoung slowly walked, not touching the blood trailing across the floor. Chansung had never seen this before so it was all new to him. A solemn look overcame his features and he knelt between him and his brother. What was it like for him to see them that way? Chansung had never bothered to ask because it wasn’t important before. But now, now he needed to know.

                “...guess it’s not to be.” He heard Wooyoung mutter.

                “Please...it burns...make it stop.” His younger self pleaded. He could remember the burn running through his body, how his body had felt when it was on the bridge of death.

                “Changmin! We need blood!” Wooyoung demanded.

                This was it. In that split moment, when Chansung had pleaded with him to make the pain stop, he had called for blood.

                “Bring me Nichkhun.” Wooyoung’s tone was dark and heavy.

                “Why?” Changmin asked.

                “Bring. Him. To. Me. Now!” Even Junho shuddered beside him.

                “He seems...so different.” The mage murmured. “But he also seems the same.”

                “I’ve never seen this before. I only heard scattered words...” Chansung admitted.

                “Wooyoung...” Nichkhun murmured. He looked different now, less crazed.

                “Give him blood.” Wooyoung seethed. Chansung felt instant guilt for how he treated Nichkhun over all of this. “You did this to him. Now give him your blood.”

                “Why my blood?

                Both Chansung and Junho stood ramrod straight as Wooyoung’s hand came up the side of Nichkhun’s head. Wooyoung’s hand shot out and he dragged him closer and growled heatedly, “give him your damn blood.”

                Chansung physically shuddered at the tone. But then, the memory shattered and they were in the now darkened room covered in stains.

                “Come on, where are you guys?!” They heard Taecyeon call.

                “Over here!” Junho called out.

                This was all new. Something had happened to him and his family before they met Nichkhun, but what? What had his family sacrificed? What had he been cursed with? What and why, what and why, the two most constant questions in his life.

                “You guys have to come and see this...” Taecyeon said, leaning in the doorway. Chansung let Junho pull him along. “The rest of the house looks like this, decrepit and broken, right?”

                Chansung’s ears pricked at the question and Taecyeon led them further into a house, and to a door that was ajar. He noted his lover’s hesitation at entering but did so. They followed him into the basement of the house and found everything like it had never been touched. Chansung looked over the marble floored room and the many paintings, many of his relatives. He couldn’t ever recall having come down here. However, their portraits were blotted with black spots and swirls of wisps danced around their heads.

                “Look at this...” Junho alerted to him. Chansung walked over and stood beside him. It was a painting of himself but he was adorned in odd clothes and there were blotches of black swirling around the painting, just like his family members.

                “What is this?”

                “These are what we call ‘Vita’ paintings.” The mage informed them. “They are painted with your life force and blood to convey your spirit. You would never want these to come to harm...”

                “Is that why the others are nearly all black?” Chansung inquired looking over the portraits of his siblings.

                “That’s the curious thing about Vita paintings...they don’t die with their host. It’s the last remnant of them on earth.” Junho explained and walked up to his. “See how there are wisps clouding around your head.”

                Chansung nodded.

                “It means you’ve been affected by a memory spell of some kind. It seems like there are swirls of gold so it means it was an ancient, deep spell.” The mage slowly came to stand beside him.

                “How did you find this, Taecyeon? I thought you would have avoided the basement...” Chansung wondered and both faced him.

                “Well...see...I thought I heard your voice from down here so...” Taecyeon shrugged. “I may not like the dark but I was trying to find you both, alright?”

                Chansung smiled fondly and held out his hand to him. He kissed it and then turned back to the portraits. “I appreciate you both for coming with me.”

                “As long as my being here helped, that’s all the matters.” Junho murmured.

                “You have no idea.” Chansung assured and kissed his temple. “We should return.”

                “Why do you think Wooyoung has been acting so strange?” Junho asked as they made their way up the stairs.

                Both he and Taecyeon shrugged. Chansung felt utterly overwhelmed by what had transpired here. It provided new insights into his relationships with both Nichkhun and Wooyoung. He was grateful now...to Wooyoung for having saved his life. He had to uncover the mystery of what happened to his family. He needed to forgive Nichkhun because the massacre was not his fault. Now, they had to deal with Wooyoung’s extreme aloofness. Something was stirring and Chansung didn’t like it; not only that, it seemed the closer he got to the answers behind what happened to him, the darker and more ominous life became. But he hoped that once he uncovered the mysteries, the dark shroud would pass, and he would see clear into the beyond, and also into the hidden past.