~

Sickly sweet

 

Hakyeon loves sweets, he could eat everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Except they didn't serve sweets for breakfast, lunch or dinner at Hogwarts. A grave crime it is, Hakyeon always complained to anyone who would listen. And because Hogwarts did not supply sweets for meals, Hakyeon looked forward to the weekly trips to Hogsmeade home to the famous sweets shop Honeydukes. It was during these trips could Hakyeon restock and get his sweet fix.

 

You're addicted to sweets, you know that?” Ravi exclaimed as Hakyeon tipped a handful of Bertie Botts Every Flavor into his mouth.

 

Always stating the obvious, as usual. Blegh, must have tossed in a vomit flavor bean just now, damn.” Hakyeon screwed his face into a grimace, grabbing a cup of coffee off the table to get the taste out of his mouth.

 

They were sitting at the Gryffindor table in the Grand Hall eating their breakfast, when the owls came flying in, carrying parcels and letters for students. Hakyeon's own owl, flew over head dropping a box in front of him.

 

Upon impact, the box burst open, scattering fizzing whizzbees all around Hakyeon. It's as if christmas came early.

Hakyeon sighed dreamily, as he picked up the scattered candy and stuffing it in the box. Never mind that he had no idea who the sender was or that the sweets may be poisoned, it was free fizzing whizzbees and Hakyeon is never going to say no to that.

 

It seems like you have a secret admirer.” Ravi handed him a small slip of paper. On it, there were words scribbled in rose-scented red ink:

 

Your existence is the fizz in my life, nothing is ever boring with you around :)

 

Huh, that's kind of creepy, especially with that smiley face. It's probably some kind of joke, there's no way I have a secret admirer. Those things only happen in muggle movies and stuff.”

 

Nobody would send a box filled with fizzing whizzbees to anyone as a joke. Come on, aren't you the least bit curious as to who sent you these?”

 

Maybe he wants me to levitate to death using this as a disguise of a present. And no I am not the least bit curious because whatever this is is going to stop tomorrow once they realized that I am not affected by this negatively. Instead, I'm feeling pretty stoked that I just got free sweets. Now let's get to class, we're going to be late.

 

 

Except it did not stop after that day. The day after, during breakfast, Hakyeon received a similar box except this time it was filled with tiny Black Pepper Imps along with another note that read:

 

You set my heart on fire.

 

See I told this isn't a joke, face it you have a secret admirer.” Ravi insisted

 

Or maybe he decided that the sight of me smoking at the ears and nose would be a perfect chance to embarrass myself in front of everybody. Which I don't really care for since its not the first I ate these babies. This prankster doesn't know me very well does he?”

God, you are so oblivious. Fine, continue believing this a prank. You have a secret admirer and that's a fact.” Ravi huffed, getting out of his seat and stormed out off the Grand Hall.

 

Geez, What got him so fired up? Hakyeon was confused, it was rare for Ravi to get angry. The only time Ravi ever got angry was when he was made to clean the trophy room for being accused of disrupting the peace in the hallways for laughing too loudly by Flitch.

 

Hakyeon was even more confused when Ravi ignored him throughout the day. Ravi would never do that, they were best friends for gods sake. They were suppose to bury the hatchet and start over because that's what friends do right? Except, whenever Hakyeon tried approaching Ravi, the latter would always slip away, away from Hakyeon.

 

Where's Ravi? Aren't you always attached together at the hip?” Another of Hakyeon's friends, Ken asked the next day at breakfast.

 

He's sitting at the far end of the Hall near the doors.” Hakyeon muttered, as he played with his porridge. He wasn't hungry at all. After being ignored by Ravi the whole day yesterday, Hakyeon realized he lost his appetite, he could not eat much during yesterday's meals, he did not even feel like scarfing down his sweets like usual.

 

Did you guys fight?”

 

No, maybe, kind of, a little. I have been receiving packages of sweets by somebody I don't know and Ravi is convinced its from my 'secret admirer'. But I believe its just from prankster trying to embarrass me. Then Ravi suddenly got all huffy, saying I'm oblivious and stormed out like a nut case!”

 

Hmmm you are oblivious.”

 

What? What do you mean I'm obli-”

 

Oh look! Owl post is arriving,looks like you have another package.” Ken pointed at the oncoming birds, cutting off Hakyeon.

 

A small packet of peppermint toads was dropped in front of Hakyeon with another note.

 

My stomach does a flip whenever I see you (I mean it in a good way :) )

 

Yup, definitely not a prank. This person is totally in love with you.” Ken read the note as he peered over Hakyeon's shoulder

 

You think?”

 

Why else would his stomach flip when he sees you. My stomach flips whenever I see Leo and he's already my boyfriend.”

 

You're dating the captain of the Slytherin quidditch team?!”

 

Uh huh, he's such an angel. I wish he would ride me like he does on his broomstick.” Ken sighs dreamily as he waves at his tall athletic boyfriend over at the Slytherin table.

 

Ew, I did not need to know that. Next time, keep your ual fantasies to yourself.” Hakyeon screwed his eyes shut, mentally erasing the image of his friend together with his boyfriend.

 

Your just jealous that I have a special someone to accompany me throughout my life and you don't. Well if you really want one, maybe you should find out who this sender of sweets is.”

 

W-w-what? I'm not jealous! Why I would I be? I don't need a boyfriend or a 'special someone'. I just want this whole thing to blow over so Ravi can stop being a prat and talk to me again.” Hakyeon sputtered indignantly, his cheeks flushing a deep red.

 

Well its not going to blow over anytime soon if you don't find out who this person is. He is going to continue sending you sweets until you do so. Now let me give you some friendly advice, go to the the Owlery at 8.00p.m, you should be able catch this person in the act.” Ken bid Hakyeon goodbye, prancing over to Leo, leaving Hakyeon to decide his fate.

 

 

Go to the Owlery at 8.00pm, you should be able to catch this person in the act he says, yeah right. Hakyeon grumbled as he shifted himself to a more comfortable position careful not to touch the owl droppings that surrounded him. He had been hiding there for 2 hours and still no signs of this 'secret admirer'. His hands and legs were getting numb from the cold draft.

 

Hakyeon dug out a peppermint toad from the packet he received earlier this morning and tossed it in his mouth. Did the toad always taste so bland? Recently, whatever sweets Hakyeon seemed to eat lost its sugary sweetness that he loved so much. Instead it made him feel sick after a few minutes of consuming them, just like how his stomach began to feel queasy as the toad began hopping in his stomach. I wish Ravi was here, he would know what's wrong with me. Except Ravi was not there beside Hakyeon and it made his heart sink. I should have believed Ravi, then he would not being ignoring all the time, man, I feel so stupid. Hakyeon groaned as he abandoned his hiding spot to find Ravi and apologize before he ran off again.

 

As luck would have it, on his way out of the Owlery, Hakyeon bumped right into Ravi.

 

Watch where you're go- Oh.” Ravi began to walk away quickly but was blocked off as Hakyeon stepped in front of him.

 

Wait, there's something I need to say to you. It's important, its about this whole secret admirer thing.”

 

Yeah.” Ravi suddenly looked up at Hakyeon, a hopeful look plastered on his face or maybe its just Hakyeon's imagination.

 

Erm, I-I, I think your bag is bleeding.” Hakyeon pointed at the growing red stain on Ravi's bag, completely forgetting the main purpose of this conversation.

 

. Oh crap, my bottle of red ink must have split over, the beans are going to get stained. Sorry Hakyeon, I need to go.” Ravi ran off into the hallway before Hakyeon could stop him again.

 

Red ink? Beans? What was going on? Hakyeon was more confused than ever and even more alone when Ravi ran off, away from him. Hakyeon sank to the floor feeling really pathetic, he thought he had his chance but he lost it, the only time he managed to stop Ravi from walking away and he let him go before apologizing. Stupid red ink, if only he had not pointed it out at first. Hakyeon glared accusingly at the splotches of said ink on the floor. Hold on, this ink looks familiar, smells familiar too like roses. He touched the nearest splotch of ink and rubbed it between his fingers. He looked down the hallway that Ravi ran through. Hmmm, suspicious.

 

 

The next time you try switching flavors, use someone else's bag of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. I nearly chocked to death eating an handful of earwax and dirt flavor beans last night!”

 

I'm sorry but yours was the only packet I could find.”

 

Why don't you just grow some balls and tell him how you feel. Save me the hassle of playing the middle man.”

 

I've been trying to tell him for over a year already but you know dense he is. This is my last resort.”

 

Oh and this is suppose to help?! Way to be direct about it.”

 

Whatever, Ken....Shi-, Hakyeon is coming, wall of silence, wall of- Oh, hi there.” Ravi smiled nervously at his best friend.

 

Hakyeon had snuck up on a livid Ken and Ravi talking furiously at the Gryffindor table the next morning. He only managed to catch a snippet of their conversation but that was all he needed to confirm his suspicions.

 

 

After yesterday's ink incident, Hakyeon had begun to get the feeling that Ravi was involved this whole secret admirer thing. The red ink and its distinct rose scent, students rarely carry around coloured inks besides black and blue let alone a scented one. C-c-could Ravi be my secret admirer? A sudden thought had came to him as he laid on his bed in the Gryffindor dormitory, unable to sleep that night. He looked over at the bed next to him, at the lump that was Ravi whose snores vibrated the whole room. When Hakyeon arrived at the dormitory, Ravi was already sound asleep, his bag slumped next to his bed, ink stain magically removed. And it was this bag that Hakyeon found himself staring at while getting out of bed and padding over. Making sure he did not wake Ravi up, he snatched up the bag and jumped back into his bed, pouring out all the contents of the bag. Out fell scarps of spare parchment, quills, a now empty bottle of red ink and a packet of Every Flavor Bertie Bott's Beans with a note attached that read:

 

I took out all the disgusting flavors because unlike a packet of every flavor beans, there's nothing bad about you.

So in other words, this special packet of beans represents YOU. Sweet and unique. (Btw, I packed in extra coffee flavored ones cause you love them)

 

Hakyeon's breath hitched, his heartbeat beating loudly against his chest. He did not need to look at his reflection to know that his whole face was tomato red. The sweets, the ink, Ravi insisting there was a secret admirer involved and his frustration towards Hakyeon it all finally made sense. But he needed something to really make sure that Ravi was and still is in love with him since the note did not mention his name. A huge part of Hakyeon wanted to believe that yes, Ravi loves him and it surprised him. The thought of having his best friend as his boyfriend did not disgust Hakyeon at all which may be due to the fact that a minute part of him was also in love with Ravi just that he was too dense to realize.

 

Achoo!” A sneeze from Ravi snapped Hakyeon out of his daze. He quickly packed the belongings back into the bag and placed back in its exact spot before going back to his bed. Tomorrow...I'll confirm everything.

 

 

We need to talk now.” Hakyeon grabbed Ravi's wrist and dragged him out of Grand Hall, past many hallways and into an empty classroom. He made sure to check there weren't any ghost or the school's poltergeist, Peeves floating around before letting go of his best friends hand.

 

You were the one who sent me those sweets and wrote those cheesy notes right? You're my secret admirer aren't you? Why didn't you just say so the first time I received the sweets? It could have spared both of us the drama. Do you know much I suffered after you decided to ignore me these past few days? I can't even enjoy eating sweets anymore cause they all taste so bland and they make me sick to the stomach. Did you know how lonely and pathetic because you were avoiding me? Not to mention that I waited for 2 bloody hours in the Owlery surrounded by owl and braving the cold draft, covered from head to toe in stray feathers, just to catch you sending your parcel addressed to me the next day, only to bump into you outside. Why couldn't you just tell me you love me?” Hakyeon burst out. He had planned to discuss this calmly but once he opened his mouth everything just came out.

 

Hakyeon, I tried so many times over the year, I made sure I was especially affectionate to you alone. But you didn't take notice at all. So I decided to use the 'secret admirer” card to pique your interest, you know let you know that there is someone interested in you and get you to find out more about this 'person'? However when you told you couldn't care less about who sent you the sweets, I was pretty hurt by it. I just let my frustration flow out, I couldn't look at you for the next few days without recalling my outburst and feeling embarrassed about it. I am an idiot for not telling you up front, no beating around the bush that I love you...a lot like really, ever since our second year in Hogwarts.” Ravi stared right into Hakyeon's eyes, as if to search for an answer to his confession in them.

 

I guess I am the bigger idiot for not realizing that I had an awesome potential boyfriend trying to get my attention all these years and that I probably couldn't survive without having you beside me. Sweets just aren't delicious when you are not there with me. So what do you say huh? Would you like to be my special someone?”

 

Yes. I would love too.” Hakyeon's heart skipped a beat as he felt familiar strong arms wrapped around him and pulled him into an embrace, with his special someone perching his head on his shoulder. He could imagine the mega-watt smile Ravi had on his face right now.

 

They would have stayed in this embrace longer but classes were starting soon and that meant the empty classroom they were in would soon be filled. They did not want anybody to walk in on their intimate moment at all beside they would be late for class. As they were walking towards the basement for potions class hand in hand, Ravi brought up a question.

 

How did you find out it was me in the end?”

 

Erm, well I kind of went through your bag while you were sleeping last night and found the beans and the note...”

 

You what?”

 

Oh look what I found, a peppermint toad. Here you can have it.” Hakyeon shoved it in his mouth, kissed Ravi on the lips whilst slipping the peppermint toad into his boyfriend's mouth and quickly pulling apart before anyone saw them successfully diverting the conversation. “How does it taste?” Hakyeon asked, he could still taste the sugary mint flavor in his mouth.

 

Sweet, sickly sweet but in a good way.”

 

A/N: For more information on the sweets: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Honeydukes

I hope you enjoyed this one shot :) Thank you for reading~