Prologue: Dawn-less Days

Ruins

Prologue: 0. Dawn-less Days

Hit the target. Move on. Hit the target. Turn around. Throw a knife at her – at her fragile-looking hands, at and between her enchanting legs, at her glassy eyes, everywhere. But miss by just a fraction, so she can live, so you can play her tomorrow too. Watch as she just sits there, absorbing what you have just done, as your spectators hold their breath, wondering whether she has made it through. Sighing audibly as they don’t see her move. Has she fallen?

And just as they are about to write her off, to send their prayers and sign up for the funeral, walk to the left – out of range. For the fire that comes out of may burn you, scar your petty face. Watch as she moves, unwounded, and grabs the knife closest to her hand. Watch as she throws it to the ground, grinning as it stabs through – sitting perfectly perpendicular, at a ninety-degree angle. Watch as her right foot pierces it even further down, the floor bleeding at the interruption.

So then, when she does her flips and splits, and whatever there may be, move behind her. Close, so your bodies are touching and then, breathe on her neck. But, most of all, make sure the audience can see, can feel the tension. Then, as she spits out another fire-ball, move your hands down her body, and make sure they can see. That is all that matters. And when at last, she sets your knife on fire and you throw it straight at the target, and set it ablaze, bow together, smiling and grinning, waving at the people you have entertained. The people that will spread the word and let you do all that again.

When the curtains drop and you are out of sight, step away from her and let her run to me. Asking me how she did, what to improve next time. I will tell her, do not doubt me. But you must go, for your face fatigues me and I do not wish to see you, knife-thrower.

And a ringleader’s wish is an order. 


A/N: I will probably finish this by the end of today, so expect another update soon enough. In case you were confused, this is told through the point-of-view of the ringleader (Kris). Let me know what you think!