On Rainy Days

On Rainy Days

 

You turned toward the window for a moment. The sky looked cloudy this afternoon. The sun didn't show up since in the morning. The bell had been ringing five minutes ago. All students scrambled out from the class one by one, leaving you alone who was still sitting quietly in your seat. You pulled out a box from your desk drawer. The box was neatly wrapped with a maroon colored paper and decorated with a silver ribbon on it. Today was Gikwang's birthday. He was a famous guy in your school because of he was so clever and handsome. He also had a charisma that could make all the girls crush on him. Even though he was a rich guy, but he was so generous to everyone. That was why every girls liked him so much and wanted to make him to be their boyfriend.

Almost all the girls in your school gave a present for him. However, since this morning You kept postponing your intention to give this present for him. You felt afraid if he would reject this present. You had liked him since in junior high school. For some reason you could school in the same school with him again. You hoped this is called destiny. You also hoped he knew you, at least he knew your name.

You glanced at your watch. It had been more than 15 minutes since the bell rang. Finally, you decided to give this present to him. You took your backpack and brought the present along with you then went out from the class and headed to Gikwang’s class. You already arrived at the front of the door of his classroom. You slid the door slowly and tried to peek at the class. But the tip of your head hits something and makes something that you hit winced. You tilted your head up, then you found yourself was bumping Gikwang’s chest who was going out from the classroom. Your face suddenly flushed with embarrassment. Gikwang looked at you from head to toe, he also glanced toward the box that you carried in your hand.

"I-I'm sorry. E-excuse me." You said to him then bowed leaving him who still standing with confuse expression.

You descend the stairs with a rush. You wanted to get home and shut yourself in the room didn’t want to meet anyone. That was pretty embarrassing enough. You shouldn’t peek into the classroom. You only had to come into the classroom and gave him this present. And that incident, was enough to make you look like a stalker.

 

*******

 

When you were at the school terrace, suddenly rain was falling, along with a lightning and storm accompanied the rain. You reached into your backpack for taking your umbrella. "Ah, how fool I am. Why did I forget to bring my umbrella. How do I go home?" You muttered softly.

You saw around you. There were nobody that you knew and also knowing you, because you didn’t have much friends in this school. You just had 2 close-friends, and they were your neighborhood. You leaned your body on the wall. Lowering your head while lamenting your bad fate. It even looked like heaven knew your mood right now. But, suddenly a pair of shoes and the owner stood in front of you. You raised your head. You got surprised to see what was in front of you right now. He smiled kindly at you. You frozed for a moment.

"Oh, You are still here?" Gikwang asked. You were still stunned. Then a flash of lightning made you awake.

"A-um, I-I don’t have an umbrella, so I waited until the rain stopped." You replied nervously.

He smiled again at you. "I see. Ah, why were you running when you see me at the classroom?" He asked again, made you didn’t know what should you had to say.

"E-um, I was suddenly want to go to the toilet, so I ran away." You replied. For a moment you fooled yourself why you gave an ashamed excuse like that.

Gikwang chuckled. "You're so cute." He said. You were flying to heaven when you heard what he just said to you. "Ah, are you coming to my class to give that to me?" Said Gikwang, glancing at your present box. “But if I am wrong, I’m sorry.” He continued then smiled.

"E-e-emm ... Emmm ..."

"Excuse me, it is an umbrella for you, sir." Said his driver while giving an umbrella to Gikwang. "Thank you. You can go back to the car first, I still have business with someone." Gikwang said.

"Well, excuse me." Said him, then bowed to Gikwang and you.

"Sorry, you said what?" Said Gikwang again.

You cleared your throat. "This is for you. But I hesitate to give it to you. I was afraid you would not like it. Actually I had not run away because I want to go to the toilet, but I'm to shy to meet up with you." You explained. "E-em, this is for you. Happy birthday Gikwang-ssi." You handed him the present box. You bowed my head didn’t dare to look at him.

Gikwang took the present box. "Thank you. You don’t need to shy with me." He said then ruffled your hair gently.

You was surprised by what Gikwang had done to you. This was the first time he did skinship with you. You was really surprised. Gikwang stopped ruffling your hair when he realized your weird facial expressions. "Sorry, I guess you don’t like it when I ruffled your hair like that." He said.

You shook your head. "No, I'm just surprised, that’s all. I mean, we don’t know each other but your act just shown as if we are an old friends." You said, then laughed trying to relieve the awkwardness.

"We've known since junior high school. We know each other for about 3 years, right _____?" He said. You were surprised because he mentioned your name. You couldn’t believe if he knew your name. You felt so happy and really wanted to jump at this time.

 "Y-you know me. To be honest I was surprised. Y-you even mentioned my name." You said. Your face was flushed now.

Gikwang chuckled. "You're really funny, ______." He said. "Well, let me drive you home. It seems like the rain won’t stop until late night." Gikwang opened his umbrella. You are still stunned disbelief by this all. Gikwang suddenly pinched your cheek softly. You winced as rubbing your cheek. You blushed.

 "Come on _______! I’ll drive you home because you have given me a wonderful birthday present.." He chuckled.

Gikwang hold your hand while walking side by side with you to his car. He smiled a lot today. His smile was so precious for you. His smile was the one who made your heart pounding. You really loved the way he smiled.

 

 

******
 

 

 

Since that day you never hate rain anymore. Rain did not always gave or added sadness to your life. Sometimes rain could meet you with your happiness that you might not see in another seasons. That rainy day always reminded you of memories with him. A memory which you couldn't forget for the rest of your life.

 

 

 

-The End-