012

Disconnect

Jongin informed me the next morning of the sudden phone call he'd received from his parents. "We're being summoned to a formal dinner between our families," he told me gravely across the kitchen table; we'd stopped eating in the dining room since we had to now make the food ourselves.

"Really?" I questioned, chewing on my food. "I'll expect to get a phone call soon too, then." Jongin nodded, and as if on cue, my phone began to ring. "Yeoboseyo~" I answered.

"So Eun," my mother's crisp voice greeted me. Cheerful as ever.

"Yes, mother."

"Perhaps you have heard from Jongin, but today we will be dining with the Kim family at seven. It's a formal dinner, so prepare accordingly."

"Alright."

"I'll see you then." And she hung up. It was the typical conversation with my mother.

Jongin raised an eyebrow as I set my phone down. "So dinner at seven, then," I said. "Any warnings for me about your family?"

He gave a wry smile. "Probably nothing that you haven't dealt with. How about you?"

I laughed humorlessly. "Same old, same old. Just mind your manners and watch your words, is all. I'm sure I don't even need to tell you that, though."

It was definitely depressing that that was all we had to say about our parents. But while we kept our eyes on the time, I manged to convince Jongin to teach me to play the guitar. While I struggled to remember all the chords he'd shown me, Jongin practiced (or showed off, in my opinion) the piano, humming along to a tune I did not know. I finally gave up after half an hour and stood, stretching. "All right," I said. "I think that's enough practice for today. I'm going to go find something suitable to wear for tonight."

Jongin nodded, acknowledging that I had spoken. I headed out of the music room to my room upstairs. I threw open my closet. What could I wear? I debated between a sleeveless pale pink dress and a navy blue one, both that came down to my knees. I decided to go with the navy blue; it was more formal, after all. And a darker color probably suited the evening better.

I paired the dress with a light tan jacket, and a pair of the smallest yet cutest pair of heels I owned. Satisfied, I checked the clock: six o'clock. I sighed and headed to prepare for the dinner. After I was sure I looked acceptable, I stepped out to find Jongin at the door, hand raised to knock. "Oh," he said, eyes taking in my dress. "I was just about to make sure you remembered to get ready. But I see that you have."

"As have you," I replied, staring at Jongin in a suit. He had done his hair, as well, and he was a breathtaking sight.

Jongin cleared his throat. "Well, considering that it's rush hour, we should probably go on our way. My parents sent a car, and it's here already."

"Let's go," I said, heading downstairs with Jongin behind me.

As we arrived at the location, we saw that there must have been more than five dozen cars lined up, all with guests. I groaned. "Is this a party?"

Jongin seemed uninformed as well. "It seems to be. Funny how both our parents happened to simply forget to mention it, huh?"

"Hilarious," I muttered as Jongin went outside and straightened his outfit, then held the door open for me. I stepped out, and Jongin brushed his hand against mine as I stood next to him. I looked up at him, taking a breath, and he gave me a small, reassuring smile.

As we walked inside, we were immediately bombarded by people, some acquaintances, some friends, some complete strangers. Jongin somehow managed to stay near me most of the time, and occasionally I would catch his eye.

Feeling slightly lightheaded, I headed over to the drinks table. "So, Ms. Newlywed," a voice slurred. "How fine you look tonight."

I turned to find a man leaning on the table, positively leering at me. "I'm sorry," I said, inching away. "Do I know you?"

The man laughed. "No, but that's why I've come to introduce myself. I am--"

"Well, well, if it isn't Mr. Wu Yifan," a familiar voice drawled, and I immediately relaxed. Jongin. He was here.

Jongin came up beside me and rested his hand lightly against my back. The implication was clear: back off. Yifan raised an eyebrow. "Well," he said. "Long time no see, Jongin."

I felt Jongin stiffen beside me. "Long time no see," he replied. "Now, if you don't mind, I think I want to go take a walk outside and get some fresh air with my wife. Let's go, So Eun."

I let him lead me out into the cool air. "What was that about? Who is he?"

"An old friend of mine," Jongin said, kicking lightly at the pavement. "No one we want to get tangled with. Just promise me you'll avoid him whenever possible."

"Yeah, I will," I said, taking his word for it. "Let's head back inside. It's rather cold out here."

Silently, we headed back inside. Jongin excused himself to head to the restroom, and I wandered about, trying to not make eye contact with anyone in case they decided they wanted to talk to me. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and jumped. "What--"

"Hey." It was Chanyeol.

"Oh, Chanyeol!" I exclaimed. "It's been forever since we've talked. How have you--"

"Oh, dear me, is this the bride everyone has been talking about?" a voice asked. A definitively feminine voice. The girl walked up behind Chanyeol and clung onto his waist with one arm. "Hello, my name is Yoojin," she said, smiling. "I heard that Jongin had gotten married, but we've never gotten to meet!"

"So Eun," I offered. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Oh, Jongin!" she exclaimed, looking past me. And indeed, Jongin came to stand beside us. I might have imagined it, but he gave Chanyeol an icy glare before turning to Yoojin.

"Oh, Yoojin," he said, considerably less enthusiastically than her.

Unlatching herself from Chanyeol, she grabbed Jongin's arm, pulling him away as she talked. I frowned after them.

"Don't worry," Chanyeol spoke up. "Nothing will happen."

I turned around to face him, and raised an eyebrow. He sighed. "My family decided that Yoojin's family was 'suitable' for me, so..."

"Ahh," I said, sympathizing. "How is she?"

"She's not bad, I guess," Chanyeol admitted. "Just...energetic."

"I can see that. Well, I hope things work out between you two," I said, and stopped the conversation there. Jongin and Yoojin were back.

Jongin checked his watch and addressed me. "Let's go find our parents, and see what they want with us."

I nodded, and Jongin led me across the party hall, weaving in and out of crowds. I located my parents, who were talking with Jongin's parents. We paused so that I could straighten out my dress, and Jongin his tie. He let go of my hand, and together we walked to were our parents stood.

"Good evening," I greeted Jongin's parents as he said the same to mine.

All four of them nodded, and headed toward the elevator. "We have a dinner table prepared upstairs," Jongin's father informed us. "I apologize for not reminding you that there happened to be a party here; however, I trust that you were able to adjust quite fine."

"Yes, sir," Jongin and I chorused.

I'd forgotten how awkward formal dinners usually were. As it was, I ate in silence beside my parents, seated across the table from Jongin. Our parents made the usual small talk, and both families parted ways with awkward hugs and handshakes. Though Jongin's mother, when hugging me, did lean in to whisper, "I trust you to take good care of our Jongin." After giving my hand a squeeze, she left.

Jongin and I were finally alone in the room. I let out a sigh of relief, and Jongin finally let go of the cool, distanced demeanor he'd had all evening. He put an arm around my shoulder and asked, "You okay?"

"Yeah. You?"

Jongin nodded. "All right. Let's go home, shall we?"

"Let's go," I agreed. "I'm exhausted."

On the way to our car, however, a blur passed by and kissed Jongin right on the lips. A giggle, and a whispered, "See you around, Jongin."

As the figure skipped away, I snapped out of my shock and placed the voice.

Yoojin.

 

A/N: Ehhh...I'm sorry this is so short. I wanted the ending to be dramatic, hehe~