Chapter 2

Let me be the real Alpha (sequel to Mate)

“You have to talk with them, you can’t just avoid them forever.” Lay whispered softly, nuzzling the back of his alpha’s neck. Luhan shifted slightly in the tight embrace, pressing his back against the other wolf’s hard chest.

“I know. I’ll talk with Chen today.” A whole week already passed, but Luhan couldn’t find the courage to confront the others. He avoided them on purpose, sneaking around the house, locking himself inside Kris’ room. He spent his day with Lay, cuddled together. Werewolves loved cuddles. The members' close proximity strengthened the bond between them. With Kris they used to do puppy piles, usually with Luhan in the middle. He had been… and still was the weakest in the pack, the others always curled around him, shielding him from danger. And now, even with Lay so close to him, he felt so alone, so vulnerable…

“Calm down XiaoLu, you’re making the others crazy.” Lay rubbed small circles to his abdomen, trying to calm the panicking wolf down in Luhan’s mind. He was unaware of it, but he filled the bond with huge waves of distress. Luhan nodded and bit his lower lip, trying to get his emotions under control. Lay hummed and rubbed his cheek to the soft skin of the alpha’s neck. Their connection was much stronger than before, Lay could smell him all over the smaller boy. His wolf purred in satisfaction his mark is unmistakable on the blonde boy, it screams: potential mate, keep your hands to yourself.

“You should really go now, they start to get frustrated.” He nipped on Luhan’s ear playfully, wanting to hear the other wolf’s cute laugh as he rolled out of the bed they were lying on. “Chen is in the library” he said into the silence in the now empty room, but he was sure, that the alpha could hear him easily. With a sigh Lay turned to his stomach, then to his back again. He rolled around in the bed, sticking his scent to the sheets.

Luhan bounced along the hallway, Lay’s gentle touches always filled him up with energy. He jogged down the stairs, jumping down the last two steps before turning at the corner without looking. He literally run into Tao. The tall boy grabbed him to keep him on his feet, but before Luhan could start to enjoy the other’s close proximity Tao pushed him away.

“Geez, you reek of Yixing. Disgusting…” grimacing he walked around Luhan, carefully not to touch him. The alpha followed him with his eyes till he disappeared at the end of the stairs. He was confused. He indeed smelled like Lay, but it wasn’t an extraordinary thing. If you spent a lot of time with someone, their scent will stick to you for days no matter where you go. Shaking his head he continued his route to the library. He knocked softly on the hard wood before peeking inside.

“Chenchen, can I come in?” he worried his lower lip between his teeth, but Jongdae only nodded with a soft smile. Chen sat in the middle of the library, the desk was covered with thick books in front of him.  Luhan didn’t have to read the titles, he knew that all of them were about classical music. Chen’s major was music. Werewolves had better senses than humans, so they usually majored in art. Chen’s voice caused an eargasm every time he heard it, he could watch Lay dance for hours without getting tired of it. Tao was smart, so he studied math, but no one did martial arts better than him. Luhan felt somehow out of this overly talented in art circle, he did architecture, but he was just a little over average.

“I don’t want to bother you, but I think we should ummm… talk.” Luhan sat down, placing his hands on top of the table. It was an old habit, his mother liked to see his hands always and he couldn’t get rid of it no matter how hard he tried.

“Look, XiaoLu…” Chen closed the book he read, folding his hands over his chest. “You make this harder for all of us. You don’t have to push us away. I know this is more than hard for you, but it’s not easy for us either. But we’re all on your side. Even Tao, I know that he’s angry and a right now, but you have to try and understand him too. He prepared for this, he won’t admit it, but he wanted to become the alpha, because he knew he has the power to protect us. He must feel like he got punched in the face. You should give him time, but you have to let us in.” Luhan bit his lower lip hard, then nodded. Chen was right, he acted like a child, only thinking of himself. But they were pack, and he was the alpha, he had to place the others’ needs in front of his.  

“I know you want to talk about something else too. Just tell me, you know I’m not the one who’ll judge you.” Chen’s smile was adorable like always, it made Luhan feel warm inside.

“Why… Why is that… that I always feel like I’m lacking in something compared to you guys? Not only in strength… In talent and knowledge too… Aren’t we supposed to be equals in some level? Being all betas…” Chen’s smile didn’t disappear as he shook his head.

“You really don’t know much, do you? When Kris took you into his inner circle of friends, he told us to be careful around you, because you’re not completely like us, but I thought that at least you know the basics.” Luhan’s face turned into a bitter expression. This is the reason why he had never talked about his doubts. He hated being looked down, pitied by the others.

“Hey, I didn’t mean it like that…” Chen reached out and placed his hand on top of Luhan’s causing tingling sensations to run up the alpha’s arm. Being only with Yixing made him separate from the pack, Jongdae’s touch felt unfamiliar, and it made his wolf anxious. “I just thought that Kris already filled the gaps in your mind. But if he didn’t, then I’m more than happy to do it. How strong you are is depend on your bloodline. My parents both were betas, two beta creates a regular werewolf. Kris is… was stronger than us, because his father was an alpha. You might have noticed, that Xiumin isn’t as powerful as us, it’s because her mother is an omega, therefore his blood isn’t pure, it’s mixed. He is still a beta, but weaker than the pure blooded ones. And for you… It’s a surprise that you’re not an omega. Human mothers usually give birth to omegas, because the mixed blood isn’t strong enough... I know you don’t know your father, but he must have been a badass beta, or even an alpha…”

“But… If he was an alpha, shouldn’t I be in his pack…?” Chen shook his head again. How could Luhan be the alpha while he didn’t know such basic things?

“Your mother is our pack human. She isn’t related to us by blood or anything else, but her loyalty lies with us. If your father would be still in the picture… “Chen could feel the bond being filled with sadness. No matter what he said, Luhan still wasn’t over his dad’s betrayal. He didn’t know him, but the thought that he abandoned his pregnant mother hurt more than anything else. Jongdae’s thumb rubbed small circles to the back of the alpha’s hand, trying to support him, to calm him down before the others blasted through the door, worrying for their alpha.

“He could’ve taken you two into his pack, and we would let him. But since he disappeared, when you started to get aware of your powers, your mother asked for our aid and we took you in.” Chen stood up and walked around the table to get next to his alpha. He reached out to run his fingers through Luhan’s hair, ruffling it affectionately.

“You don’t have to worry about yourself, we all care for you. And I know what would be a best for you now. Let’s go for a run, you haven’t been out for weeks now…. “Luhan nodded, leaning into his beta’s touch.

***

Luhan felt like he hadn’t been here in ages. He felt an odd sensation run through his body as he shifted into his wolf form. The forest blurred into a brownish-green mass as he run through it with Chen’s light brown wolf at his heels, chasing a squirrel just for fun. The pack had a rather large part of the forest claimed as their own territory, they could be safe here, safe and careless. Chen jumped, crushing the smaller wolf into the ground with his massive weight, they rolled around, playfully barking and nibbling at each other. Since Kris’ death, this was the first time Luhan really relaxed. Even his wolf felt peace, being close to the nature with one of his packmates. They played around like little pups, unaware of the world around them.

Chen was the first who noticed the unfamiliar lands, they wandered far off their pack’s territory, into the common lands. He tried to return, but Luhan’s wolf was stubborn, he wanted to go the other way. Chen barked, but the white wolf’s eyes flashed red, so he had to submit. And then the wind changed. Luhan’s body stiffened as he smelt them. Other wolves. Unfamiliar wolves. Strangers. And they were running, running towards them.

Were they on another pack’s territory without permission instead of the common lands? What’s worse, they were both in their wolf form… Luhan panicked, he could picture both of them lying on the ground motionless, torn apart… They should run, but it was already too late… Suddenly he was pushed to the ground by a heavy paw, he lay flat on his belly as Chen stepped over him. He acted like he was the one in charge, like he was the alpha. They will attack him first, but there was no way he could win. He was one against at least three… Luhan couldn’t separate their scents completely… He desperately opened the pack bond fully, trying to reach the others… Lay was already on his way, Xiumin was coming too, but he was too far, he won’t make it in time… And Tao… He couldn’t reach Tao… Luhan squeezed his eyes shut, trying to melt into the hard ground underneath him.


Yay~

So here is another chapter~ I really should be studying instead of writing this, but the boys are haunting me in my dreams, so I can't stop ;o;

Oh and I know, Tao is a , but thumbs up for supportive!ChenChen (Y)

And about the other pack, I didn't even plan them, I don't even know who they are :O Yay, I need some serious planning for the story line, this chapter kinda just wrote itself. I really need to stick the the original story line before this gets out of my hands >.<

Btw tell me in the comments what you think~ OuO