Don`t Worry.

Don`t Worry.

The house was dark. The only light coming in was the moonlight through the windows.


"Junhyung, the electricity went out."


Rubbing his head he came from the bedroom, opening drawer after drawer. You stared at him curiously before repeating the situation. He ignored you for a little before setting candles around the house. Your mind relaxed at the realization, and you helped him light them.


"Go to sleep, ____. It`s almost 8." Junhyung gave you a small smile before heading back to the bedroom, hoping you`d follow. And so you did.


You`re bedroom was small and it didn`t have much in it. On your side was all of your necessties. Makeup, phone charger, and a night stand with whatever it may hold. On Junhyung`s side, all he has was a windup clock. Everynight at 8, he would wind up the clock before saying goodnight and laying down. Whenever you walked into the room he was always staring at it.


"Goodnight, ____."


"Goodnight, Junhyung."


- 12am ; 12/1/13


It`s been 5 years since you said "I do". You figured that these years would be special like the first was, but as time you passed things changed. Junhyung was still as caring as he always was, and he still cherished you more than anything. You were blind to this.


"____, where are you?"


"work, i'll be home late tonight."


"oh, alright, i miss you. stay safe."


You didn`t reply.


The word "work" rang through your mind along the beat of the music that was playing in the crowded room. Your hand slipped into your pocket and your phone slid in. Work. What was work? During the 7 years of your relationship, you never worked. You always depended on Junhyung for everything. Of course, being the nice guy he is, he didn't mind. He just wanted to make sure that your beautiful smile was always on your face.


___, don`t worry about it. i`ll get whatever you want, even if i have to work everyday. I just want you to be happy.”


Whenever you asked him for something these words flew through your head, the words that he asked you to be his with. Oddly enough, you never felt guilt. You figured that if he was okay with it, it was okay for you. You were rarely ever home because of “work”, Again, Junhyung believes you and he tells you to stay safe, he misses you, and that he loves you. You never replied.


You never planned on replying to those messages.

 

 

-2pm ; 12/24/13.


 

Junhyung paces around the house, occasionally looking at his phone. The wind came through the window and gave him a shiver. Usually, that would be the feeling he gets when you come home. The last time he saw you was the 18th, with the excuse of work. He didn't know this of course. You have told Junhyung that you worked at a big company about an hour away, and they always gave her long hours. Junhyung smile at the thought of his beautiful wife working hard, and missing him.


After about two hours, Junhyung leaves the house and heads down the street to a nearby flower shop. He thought he should surprise you at work.


“Hi, do you guys have any camellias?”


“Of course, give me a second.”


The shop lady left for a few minutes and Junhyung smiled at the thoughts in his head. Oh, how excited he was to see your face when he came to see you. Would you cry? Would you kiss him? All he wanted was to see the smile he saw 7 years ago. His thoughts were interrupted by the shop lady, handing him a bouquet of camellias.


“On the house, dear.”

 

Junhyung left stored and stood by the bus stop, attempting to remember the name of the company you worked at. As the bus came to a stop in front of him, he was still clueless. Nonetheless he got on and continued his search. He went through your messages and as he did, he smile faded. He hadn't noticed how plain your replies were. Maybe she was tired, he thinks. After an hour he comes to the company you spent so many days at.


“Hello, is ____ here? I came to see her.” The receptionist gave him a puzzling look before giving him a frown.


“No, not at the moment. We actually don`t-”


“It`s fine, thank you. Have a nice day!”


Junhyung gave her a friendly smile before exiting the building. She`s probably on her break. You glanced at your phone and his once friendly smile faded into a deep frown. Junhyung held the camellias tight to his chest before walking away from the building.


Your eyes widened and your jaw dropped as you saw him walk away.



- 7pm. 12 / 25 / 13.


“Merry Christmas baby!” You gave Junhyung a tight hug and in response he gave you a smile.


“Merry Christmas to you too, ____.” He kissed your cheek softly and you sinked down a bit, your lips pursed.


After unwrapping everything he got you, you had gotten him one thing. Junhyung didn't complain. After all, it was the thought that counted. As the polka dot wrapping got ripped, his eyes slowly began to fall. His smile dropped and he stared at the box.


A clock.


“I see that you would wind it up every night, but it`s getting a bit old don't you think? I figured i should get you a nicer and prettier one. Do you like it?”


Junhyung stayed quiet and turned to you, showing you the biggest smile he could muster. With a nod he got up and took the box to the bedroom, you followed after him hoping he would throw the other one away. You sat on the bed and stared at him as he kept his eyes on his old clock. The only sound was the ticking from both clocks. Minutes passed and the silence became stronger.


“Junhyung, when did you get that clock?

“7 years ago.”

“Why do you wind it up every night? Im surprised it still works.” After a few seconds you regretted those words when you saw Junhyung`s hand go to wipe his eyes.


“I got that clock the day we started dating, and winded it up every day since. The clock is like our love, ____. If you wind it up every day like you should, it keeps the clock alive. If you leave the clock alone, then it breaks and stops working. I don't like the clock, it scares me. I keep winding it up so i don't have to be scared of losing you.”


Your eyes began to water and you quickly wiped them before scooting closer behind him. You let a few minutes passed before you decided to say anything.


“Junhyung im sorry. I don't ever remember seeing that clock anywhere. I also don't remember working. I don`t work in a big company, i don't have a job. I just told you that because i felt it would make me look stupid. I also don't like flowers, Junhyung. That was a lie too.”


Your voice became softer and your breathing became the loudest thing in the room.


“This is tiring me, Junhyung. This relationship. I thought these years would be just like the first, but I thought wrong. I've been out with friends, going places instead of being with you. Im getting tired of this, really. I still love you, but this is too hard.”


The clock struck 8pm and you stared at Junhyung, waiting for him to wind the clock up. Instead he sat still and picked his head up, not saying anything. He didn't want to tell you that it was your fault for it being hard, since you never put effort. He didn't want to tell you that he had multiple jobs to get everything for you. He didn't want to tell you how bad his heart hurt, or how pathetic he was for believe everything you said.. He was too nice for it. He saw the hour hand on 8 and he laid down, bringing the blanket up to his neck. In a shaky voice he said something that seemed like the last word he would ever say to you.


“Don't worry, it`ll break soon.”