Smile [1/3]

Monkey ❤ Fishy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “LEE HYUKJAE!!”

Hyukjae jerked in shock and banged his forehead painfully on the desk, instantly waking him up. He vaguely heard snickers and giggles throughout the class while grimacing in pain. Trust him to fall asleep in a boring mathematics class – even Kyuhyun was snoring away, who was supposed to be waking him up in case he dozed off. Some sort of partner he was.

Rubbing the painful red spot on his head, Hyukjae lifted his head to look sheepishly at the teacher. She was wearing an annoyed expression on her face.

“I trust your falling asleep in my class means that you already know the answer to this question, right, Hyukjae-ssi?”

Said student quickly gave the board a glance and tried to fathom the squiggly lines and scribbles she called a math equation. He couldn’t for the life figure out what the heck they meant and he really couldn’t be bothered to know. Plus, he’s pretty sure those eyes were looking at him – he didn’t even have to turn around to know. So he rattled off the first somewhat mathematical expression his brain could think of.

“Err… The answer is negative five point seven two times pi squared?”

The entire class erupted in laughter at the ridiculous answer, but the teacher obviously wasn’t amused.

“Very funny, Hyukjae-ssi. That’s detention for you and your sleep mate today. Kindly wake him up as well.”

Hyukjae groaned and slapped Kyuhyun awake. The latter woke up with a jump and threw him a murderous look before turning his head the other way to continue sleeping, much to Hyukjae’s amusement, especially since the maths teacher was giving the both of them an incredulous look. Hyukjae then offered her his most famous charming smile nobody could resist paired along with his equally famous kicked puppy eyes.

“I’m sorry, miss. I promise I won’t do it again. Please don’t punish us…”

He could see her resolve faltering and very soon her voice floated into his head like a beautiful melody.

“Fine, I’ll let you off the hook, since you did try answering my question. But I will see Kyuhyun-ssi in detention.”

“WHAT??”

Hyukjae couldn’t help laughing at Kyuhyun’s outburst although another glare from his best friend shut him up. Kyuhyun wouldn’t stop grumbling throughout the rest of class though, and in the end Hyukjae burst out into little fits of laughter again.

 

* * *

 

Hyukjae could feel the eyes on him as he skipped along the hallway with his books in tow. He knew he was watching him so he decided to go on with his show.

He reached his locker and dialled in the combination before swinging it open and throwing his books inside, all the while singing loudly to some random song that popped into his head. He then grabbed his leather jacket and slammed the door shut before dragging poor Kyuhyun out of the hall. The younger boy was suffering severely from second embarrassment but obviously Hyukjae didn’t give a darn about it.

“Gee, you sure look pretty happy for someone who just landed me in detention for the rest of the week,” Kyuhyun grumbled, snatching his arm away from Hyukjae’s grip once they were well away from all the judging and laughing eyes in the school. “Next time please don’t include me in your plans for detention. I have better things to do, you know.”

“Like what? Stalking Sungmin?” Hyukjae asked, roaring in laughter, while Kyuhyun groaned and blushed a bright red. “Puh-lease, have you seen the way the bunny looks at you? He’s so not into you, dude. Besides, he already has a girlfriend. Sorry to burst your bubble, but he doesn’t even swing this way.”

“Well a guy can always dream, can’t he?” Kyuhyun snapped back, slapping Hyukjae in the head. “Now tell me where are you taking me or I’m gonna accuse you of kidnapping me.”

Hyukjae rolled his eyes and gave Kyuhyun’s chubby cheeks a pinch. “But my dear Kyu, I’m not forcing you to come with me, am I?” he chuckled, before swinging a leg over his bike.

“To infinity, and beyond!!”

 

* * *

 

To say that Hyukjae wasn’t intrigued was a total lie. Those eyes… those huge, watery, doe-like beautiful dark brown eyes that always stared at him wherever he went. He was mesmerized by those dark eyes that seemed to follow him everywhere. They never left him for a moment as long as he was on school grounds, and Hyukjae knew that very well. He could feel their owner’s presence, after all, even if he couldn’t see him. Those eyes, those beautiful eyes were the prettiest Hyukjae had ever seen, and they would have been even prettier if only the eyes had the shine in them to tell him the owner was alive.

Because without that human shine

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter