Hang Up Your Stockin'

Hang Up Your Stockin'

Crying. Someone is crying. Was all Junmyeon’s brain registered as he suddenly sat up in bed. Disoriented he looked over at his husband and found the tall man face down in his pillows, clearly not bothered by the wailing filling the air. Junmyeon sighed and glanced at the clock as he threw back the covers and got to his feet. It was six in the morning; much earlier than any of the boys normally woke up. Wiping the sleep out of his eyes, he opened his bedroom door.

The crying wasn’t particularly loud as it was shrill, and right away Junmyeon knew it was his youngest crying. Sehun was just four and usually full of laughter; crying was something her rarely did, even as an infant. Concern shook whatever fatigue was left in his body and he hurried to the living room.

The sight before him made his heart melt. Sehun wasn’t alone. Kyungsoo, his middle son and only two years older than Sehun, was hugging his little brother. He was silent and had tears in his eyes as well, but he held them in to comfort the younger boy. What made it more endearing was that Sehun was nearly as tall as his older brother, all legs and arms – a lanky frame already for the poor preschooler.

“Sehunna? Kyungie?” his voice was still rough with sleep but the boys looked up. Sehun ripped himself out of Kyungsoo’s arms and threw himself at his father, Junmyeon crouching down just in time to catch him. “Sehunna, baby, what’s wrong?”

Hiccupping sobs was the only reply until Kyungsoo turned and looked at his father. “Daddy… Why didn’t Santa come?” Panic hits Junmyeon like a freight train. What was today? Did he and Jongin really screw up this year? He was sure he had another day. With his heart racing and his mind panicking, he took a deep breath before speaking.

“Kyungsoo, what is today?” He asks gently. He knew his son would know, as Kyungsoo was the one who paid attention to detail. He was very quiet and oddly independent for a six year old, preferring to spend his time reading (since he now knew how) or following Jongin around. Kyungsoo blinked his wide eyes a few times before thinking a moment.

“Tuesday. Tuesday December twenty-fourth. Christmas.” Relief oozed out of Junmyeon and a smile came to his face. He wanted to laugh. Laugh at his children for their adorable confusion and laugh at himself for forgetting they still had a whole day to set out the gifts from Santa. He refrained though and instead got to his feet, lifting up the sniffling preschooler and offering his hand to his clearly confused middle child.

“Oh, well there’s your problem then. You guys are both a day early!” Sehun lifts his head off his father’s shoulder and looks at him with puffy eyes and a runny nose.

“Early? But it’s Christmas.” Sehun pouts, folding his arms, causing Junmyeon to chuckle.

“But it’s Christmas Eve, Sehunna.” Jongin’s scratchy voice says as he walks down the hall, eyes half open. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen and he runs to his other father. Jongin picks up the middle child with a smile. Junmyeon smiles as they walk back to their room.

“What does eve mean then?” Kyungsoo asks softly, as he is deposited on the king sized bed. Sehun joins him before their parents climb in besides them. “Eve is an old word for evening. But it is used for the whole day before a special day. Like Christmas.” Junmyeon explains, laying down and pulling the covers over them. Sehun cuddles into his father’s arms, hand gripping Junmyeon’s pajama shirt, closing his eyes. Jongin pulls Kyungsoo into his arms, kissing the child on one of his chubby cheeks, making him giggle.

“So, Santa will come tonight on Christmas Eve, so we can have presents on Christmas Day. Does that make more sense, Kyungie?” Kyungsoo rests his head on his father’s chest and gives a small nod as his eyes close. “Yes, Appa.” Jongin chuckles, pulling the blanket over them both. He yawns before kissing the top of his son’s head. “Get some sleep now. It’s way too early to be worried about Christmas anyway.”

xoxo

Jongin’s alarm goes off at nine waking both him and the child on his chest. Kyungsoo smiles at him sleepily before slipping out of his arms and  walking on his tiptoes towards the door. Jongin sits up and watches his son’s odd antics, only able to shake his head with amusement. As Kyungsoo disappears out into the hallway, Jongin gets out of bed to get ready for the day as well.

Because the children are on break, they all have been sleeping later, with the exception of Kyungsoo, who sticks to his early schedule despite having the luxury to relax more. Jongin is walking down the hall when Kyungsoo appears from his room, dressed and hair combed flat. Jongin sometimes wonders where this meticulous attitude comes from, seeing as neither Junmyeon or himself are particularly tidy and organized, but thinks better of questioning it and instead thanks God that at least one of his kids is low maintenance.

“Appa, what are we making for breakfast this morning?” Kyungsoo asks in a low voice, staring expectantly at his father with large brown eyes. Jongin smiles and lifts his son into his arms. “Well, what do you want to make for everyone this morning?” Kyungsoo looks pensive for a moment as Jongin takes them to the kitchen. The boy is set down on the counter while Jongin looks through the fridge for options. “We have eggs, milk, some leftover spam, half an onion, bread, a few slices of cheese…” Jongin lifts his head out of the fridge to look at Kyungsoo again. “Any of that sound good, Kiddo?”

“Let’s make French Toast.” Jongin nods at the suggestion, but doesn’t move.

“What do we need for it?” He asks. He knows the basics to French toast; after all, he does most of the cooking since Junmyeon is more likely to burn down the kitchen than to create something in it. But Jongin is always curious to see what Kyungsoo will come up with. The boy on the counter stares at his father for a moment (a rather judgmental stare that makes Jongin want to dissolve into giggles) before sighing and listing things off, using his fingers to keep track.

“Bread, eggs, and milk. We need butter and cinnamon too.” Jongin nods and grabs the things they need in the kitchen and sets them on the counter to await further instruction.

While Kyungsoo is telling him what to do next, Jongin catches sight of Junmyeon in the doorway, Sehun still half asleep in his arms. He smiles happily before turning to Kyungsoo.

“Kyungie, before we start making the food, why don’t we make Daddy some coffee. Doesn’t he look like he needs it?”

Kyungsoo nods gravely, taking in his other father’s appearance. “Yes. Make Daddy coffee. Sehunnie looks like he needs some in his sippy cup too.” Jongin can’t refrain from chuckling. He looks back at the two at the doorway as he makes the coffee and is just amazed at Kyungsoo’s perception. Junmyeon is leaned against the doorway with Sehun draped across his opposite shoulder, thumb in his mouth. Eyes are half closed on both of them and Jongin is only half worried about his husband falling asleep standing up.

Once the coffee is steeping, Jongin picks up Kyungsoo and takes Sehun from Junmyeon. He places a brisk kiss on his husband’s lips with a smile. “Wake up, Sleeping Beauty. Your coffee is almost done. I’m going to go wake up Channie and Baek.” Junmyeon smiles slightly with a nod before stumbling the rest of the way into the kitchen to watch his coffee brew.

Jongin walks down the hall to the only closed door, trying not to melt as Sehun and Kyungsoo coo morning greetings at each other, Kyungsoo affectionately touching his younger brother’s face and making Sehun giggle quietly. It was the little moments like this that made Jongin remember why being a parent was so rewarding. He fumbles for the door handle before opening the door to the lair of the ‘Twin Tornados’.

Jongin walks into the room, shuffling his feet (because he learned to do so after stepping on Leggos too many times) through the mess of toys and clothes on the floor. He heaves a sigh looking around at the mess of a room. He would have to threaten Santa against them to get them to tidy up today. He looks up at the beds and shakes his head at how different but alike the twins are. Chanyeol is sideways in bed with all his blankets somehow on the floor, one leg propped up, and arms spread across the bed. His Power Ranger pajama shirt had slipped up his long torso, revealing his tummy and cute little bellybutton. Baekhyun on the other hand is burrowed under his covers and if Jongin had to guess without pulling off the blankets, he was probably facing opposite of his pillows, lying on his stomach, cute little Ninja Turtles clad sticking up in the air. It was about the only time the house had peace and Jongin almost hated to disturb it.

“Alright guys,” he says, placing Sehun and Kyungsoo on the floor. “go wake them up!” Sehun and Kyungsoo split almost immediately, Sehun climbing into Chanyeol’s bed and Kyungsoo into Baekhyun’s. Sehun decides his attack will be direct and sits on his brother’s stomach.

“Channie, Channie~” The four year old said in a sing song voice. The older boy stirred, stretching his arms over his head before opening his eyes. Then a sleepy, gapped tooth smile formed on his face before reaching up and poking Sehun on the nose.

“Morning, Hunnie.” He said in a scratchy voice. But the attention quickly diverted to the whines coming from under the blanket from the other bed. Kyungsoo, being Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s first choice victim, was happy to impose his revenge but sticking his hand under the covers and tickling Baekhyun’s feet. It started out as whines until Baekhyun all but flew out of the blankets and turned angrily to Kyungsoo, ready to punish his younger brother.

“Good morning Baekhyun…” Jongin said lazily, arms folded. Baekhyun froze and looked over at his father, half asleep but clearly startled. “Appa…” He whispered before turning to Kyungsoo and giving him an angry pout. “Why can’t you wake me up cutely like Hunnie does to Chanyeol? I hate when you tickle my feet!” Kyungsoo gives a little giggle before climbing off the bed and running back to Jongin.

“Appa says it’s time to get up. We’re making French toast, so wash up and get dressed!” Once again, Jongin had to bite his lip to keep from reacting, so not to encourage the sassy argument that was slowly developing.

“Now Kyungsoo…” he chided softly. “Watch your tone…” Kyungsoo pouts before turning back to his older brother.

“Sorry, Baekkie. Please get dressed. Appa and I are going to make French toast for breakfast.” Sehun bounced on Chanyeol’s stomach excitedly.

“Daddy said we are making cookies for Santa today!” This seemed to pique the children’s interests, a sudden buzz of excitement filling the air. Jongin wanted to smile, but he knew he had to be firm with the twins.

“Alright you two. You need to brush your teeth, brush your hair, wash your faces, and get dressed. You’re in charge of helping Sehunnie as well. Do you understand? Santa is watching. That means no video games either until this room is tidied.” A collective groan came from his older children, but was quickly followed but a gloomy, ‘yes Appa’ once Jongin sharpened his look. “Good. I’ll be checking on this room once breakfast is done. So hop to it!” Jongin clapped his hands and the boys stumbled out of bed and out of the room, dragging Sehun with them. Jongin offered his hand to Kyungsoo and smiled. “Let’s make some breakfast, shall we?

xoxo

Breakfast went on without much of a problem, the threat of Santa Claus giving them coal, or worse, skipping their entire house was enough to get the boys to follow instructions. After breakfast the kids were sent to finish up tidying their rooms (“All the toys off the floor. What is Santa wants to check and see how much you kids have grown and trips on a toy and breaks his leg? All the other children in the world will go without toys and I’ll be stuck with his hospital bill!” Junmyeon explained) while Jongin made the dough for the sugar cookies the kids would decorate. Junmyeon was on cut-out duty, punching out different holiday shapes, placing them on the cookie sheets for Jongin in bake and cool.

It was then they realized that the house was rather quiet for having four boys in it, so Junmyeon was relinquished of his job of cookie cutter and went to investigate. He went to Kyungsoo and Sehun’s room first and cracked the door slightly to peak in. The room was clean (but it usually was because Kyungsoo liked it that way) and the beds were made. Sprawled out on Sehun’s bed, Kyungsoo and Sehun were looking at a picture book, Kyungsoo quietly reading the word to his little brother. It brought a smile to Junmyeon’s face.

Slowly he opened the door and walked in. The boys looked up at him expectantly. “What are you reading?” He asked, sitting on the bed besides them. Kyungsoo shows him the cover of the book with a small smile.

“It’s ‘The Night Before Christmas’, Daddy. Sehunnie didn’t remember the story, so I am reading it to him. Are cookies ready? We’re almost done.” Junmyeon smiled. “Why don’t you read the rest of the story to both of us. Then we can go decorate cookies.” Kyungsoo nods and goes back to the page he was on while Junmyeon slips onto the floor to lean against the bed.

“He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work, and filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk. And laying his finger aside of his nose, and giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!” Kyungsoo’s quiet voice fluctuated with excitement, turning the pages dramatically and giving Sehun small smiles that made the youngest giggle softly. It was over quickly, but Junmyeon was quite impressed with how well Kyungsoo could read and handle his younger brother.

The book was closed and the two scrambled off the bed. Kyungsoo made quick work of putting the book away before turning to see Sehun pulling at their father’s hand.

“Kyungie! Help! I can’t get off the floor! I know if you help Sehunnie I can get up again!” Giggles filled the room as Sehun and Kyungsoo pulled on Junmyeon’s hands until Junmyeon decided he was ready to get up. He got up with relative ease (he wasn’t that old yet) and with a growl that created shrill screams from his children, posed like some sort of monster. With an exaggerated cackle, he took a stomping step towards them. “Now you’ve done it! Now I can walk! And now I can… EAT YOU BOTH ALIVE!” He cried, Kyungsoo and Sehun shrieking again and running for the door. Junmyeon took chase, taking large, booming steps, chasing the children down the hall and into the kitchen.

“Appa! Appa! Appa! Daddy says he’s going to eat us!” Sehun cries, clinging to Jongin’s legs. Jongin looks up and catches his husband’s eye before grinning.

“Oh no, is he really? Well it’s a good thing you came to me… BECAUSE I’M GOING TO EAT YOU TOO.” Jongin swipes up Sehun and holds the preschooler up so he can nibble on his belly. Sehun shrieks and laughs with delight as Junmyeon captures Kyungsoo and does the same. Nibbling turns into hugging before the boys are placed on the ground again, breathing heavily and still emitting giggles.

“You boys wash up, I’m going to go get your brothers and then we can decorate cookies!” Junmyeon says with a smile. A chorus of ‘okay’s’ come from his kids before he’s out of the kitchen again as walking down the hall to the twin’s room. He opened the door the same way as before, peaking in to see what the boys were up to. To his surprise, the room was tidy, the beds were made, and each boy was on his own bed, playing their Nintendo 2DS while chatting with each other quietly. Junmyeon walked into the room.

“You made your beds?” Junmyeon asked incredulously. Chanyeol and Baekhyun look up at the father and shrug nonchalantly.

“Kyungsoo said Santa would like to see a made bed.” Chanyeol started.

“I don’t understand why it matters though because he’s going to see us sleeping in them and they won’t be made anymore…”Baekhyun finishes. Junmyeon shakes his head, astounded that one, Chanyeol and Baekhyun listened to their younger brother’s instruction and two, really had a point about the made bed issue. He ponders for a moment and even wonders if his bed was made before scolding himself in his mind for not being tidier and a good example.

“Well, it’s like giving a gift in a way, isn’t it? It’s the thought that counts?” Junmyeon asked, trying to reason with his older sons. Baekhyun’s game system is the first to be shut off before he turns and looks expectantly at his father.

“Is it time to decorate cookies for Santa, Daddy?” Chanyeol isn’t far behind him and Junmyeon is nodding his head. Both boys are on their feet and heading out the door without Junmyeon. “You better wash your hands first!” he cries after them, shaking his head. They were truly growing up too fast for him. He took a moment to look around the room. It was his eighth Christmas as a father. It was hard to believe how quickly his and Jongin’s kids were growing up. After all, it didn’t seem like that long ago when this room had matching cribs and the room had a ‘Hey Diddle Diddle’ theme to it. And the room that Kyungsoo and Sehun are in used to be his office. It was funny to think that only six years ago he had to clean out his office and turn it into a nursery again. Now eight years and four kids later, here they were.

“Daddy! Come help us with the cookies!” Junmyeon shook his head, clearing his thoughts and smiling at his youngest beckoning him to join them. He walks out into the dining room to see all his kids, sleeves rolled up, wax paper with cookies and bowls of colored icing in front of them. Chanyeol looks over with a smile.

“Daddy, what were you doing in our room?” His face changes to concern for a moment. “You didn’t look under our beds, did you?” Junmyeon chuckles and runs his hand through Chanyeol’s hair affectionately.

“No, Channie. I was just thinking about how lucky I was to have such a great family.” Five smiling faces beamed back at him before turning back to their work. It was oddly quiet, the kids concentrating on making the best looking cookies they could for Santa. “Should I put on some music while we decorate cookies? What should we listen to?” Once again, all the faces of his children popped up.

“SNSD!” Baekhyun cried.

“Bruno Mars!” Kyungsoo yelled next.

“Epik High!” Chanyeol crows throwing his hands up in the air.

“SHINee!” Sehun squealed, pounding his small fists on the table. Junmyeon looked aghast, mouth hanging over.

“Now where in the world are you listening to Bruno Mars and Epik High? Clearly this is when I am at work!” Junmyeon exclaimed, shooting a dirty look at his husband. Jongin lowered his head a bit more, his ears turning a bit pink. Junmyeon’s lips formed a straight line for a moment before taking a breath and looking at his. “Besides the inappropriate nature of some of your choices… I was thinking something a little more Christmasy. It is Christmas Eve after all.

“Chipmunks!” Sehun cries again, getting extremely excited. “Chipmunks! Chipmunks!” Everyone looks slightly surprised at the youngest child's sudden outburst, but Jongin can’t help but to laugh, ruffling the child’s hair.

“Woah there, Buddy. Your brothers have to agree.” The other three children looked at each other and nodded. Junmyeon nodded and walked into the living room to put the cd into the player.

“I wanna be Simon!” Kyungsoo says suddenly, eying his brothers. “Sehunnie is Theodore and I’m Alvin!” Chanyeol says matter of factly. Baekhyun looked scandalized at his twin, mouth falling open.

“Then just who does that make me? I’M not Dave!” Chanyeol smirked and folded his arms.

“Of course not Baekkie… You’re Brittany.”

Baekhyun gasps, looking so offended that Jongin is worried the boy may burst into tears. “I-I’M NOT A GIRL. YOU’RE A-. “ Jongin steps in before the twins explode.

“Do the words, Santa is watch mean anything to you two? It’s CHRISTMAS EVE. You know what that means, right?” Both the older boys pout and Baekhyun looks dangerously close to letting the tears in his eyes fall.

“But Appa… Chanyeol said -.”

“I know what he said, Baekhyun. And he’s going to apologize right now if he doesn’t want to get sent to the corner while the rest of you decorate cookies.” Chanyeol looked at his father like he had said something unjust, but Jongin simply pursed his lips and wrinkled his brow. Chanyeol sighed and looked at Baekhyun, pouting.

“I’m sorry for calling you Brittany… It was just a joke.” Baekhyun huffed and folded his arms.

“It wasn’t funny Channie. I’m not a girl.”

Chanyeol sighed. “I know you’re not but… I didn’t mean it to be mean. Brittany and Alvin are always together and always arguing… Kinda like you and me.” Baekhyun seemed satisfied with that answer and Jongin let out a sigh of relief. It seemed that the crisis was averted.

And just as the argument was averted, the shrill voices of the Chipmunks filled the air. Junmyeon came back to the table, grabbing some cookies and a spoon to decorate them with.

xoxo

The morning was filled with the kids singing as they decorated cookies. Once the mess and kids were cleaned up, they sat down and had a nice lunch. Jongin insisted that Junmyeon just relax, since he didn’t have many days off these days because of work, but the elder simply replied that putting Sehun down for a nap would be no trouble. Twenty minutes later, after the kitchen was tidied and the food was put away Jongin noticed the quiet in the house again. He heaved a sigh and headed to the bedrooms again.

Silence with the twins always made him nervous. They were too mischievous and there were too many occurrences of cut hair, play doh on the ceiling, markers on the wall and clothes and skin, drawers emptied to make a clothing nest, playing hide-and-seek with Kyungsoo only to leaving him hiding… FOR HOURS, for Jongin not to investigate.

He goes to the twin’s room first and looks around, only to find the lights off and the room empty. He furrows his brow and leaves the room to continue his search. He walks into Sehun and Kyungsoo’s room only to stop and fumble for his phone. He snaps a few pictures of the sight in front of him. Junmyeon is passed out on Sehun’s twin mattress, arms around Sehun and Baekhyun. Sprawled across his lap, Kyungsoo is sleeping, mouth hanging open and hands tucked under his chin. Chanyeol is curled up like a puppy at Junmyeon’s feet, one arm wrapped around his father’s ankle. Jongin knew the kids missed their dad during the day, but clearly this was to show just how much.

It was just as well that they were all asleep because the walk way needed shoveling and now he didn’t need to worry about the kids getting into trouble.

xoxo

They did Chinese takeout for dinner; a silly tradition that Jongin and Junmyeon had started the first Christmas they had moved in together. After dinner, baths were given to the kids and pajamas were put on. They all gathered around the television for a few hours of Christmas specials.

“Channie, Baek, time for bed kiddos.” Jongin said when the credits for The Grinch Who Stole Christmas rolled across the screen. The twins groaned in unison, Baekhyun yawning and Chanyeol stretching.

“But -. “ Another yawn from Baekhyun. “We’re not even tired…”

Junmyeon chuckled, getting to his feet, lifting a sleeping Sehun. “Riiight. Those yawns clearly mean you are so awake.” More groans from the two. “I’m going to go put Sehun into bed, but I’ll come in a tuck you in. Say good night to Appa.” This seems to be enough for Baekhyun and Chanyeol, so one by one they climb on the couch next to Jongin and kiss him on the cheek.

“Good night, boys. Merry Christmas.” They echo Jongin’s words back to him before shuffling sleepily down the hall to their room. Jongin gets up, Kyungsoo asleep in his arms and smiles and Junmyeon.

“Let’s get these squirts to bed.” Junmyeon nods before leading them down the hall. They tuck their children into bed before closing the door softly behind them. “I’m going to go get the gifts down from the closet; you go tuck in the twins.” Junmyeon nods and Jongin sets to work to pull down the tissue wrapped gifts from the top shelf of the closet.

By the time Jongin has gotten the last gift down, Junmyeon is walking back into their bedroom. Jongin places the last gift on the bed and turns to his husband. Junmyeon pulls him into an intimate hug, wrapping his arms around Jongin’s neck. The younger looks at his husband curiously before he is pulled down into passionate kiss. Their lips stay locked for several moments before Junmyeon pulls away.

“What was that for?” Jongin asks breathlessly. Junmyeon chuckles. “It’s just been nice seeing how you interact with the kids. You’re really good with them.”

Jongin laughs quietly. “Jun, I hope to God that I am! I’m the one home with them all day!”

“Well, you are. And I find that…” He quirks a brow. “Kind of y.” Jongin’s eyes widen with better understanding.

“Oh… really?” Junmyeon chuckles again, ghosting his lips over Jongin’s neck. “Why don’t we hurry up and place these presents under tree and you can’t take me to bed?” A whimper escapes Jongin’s lips before he moves away quickly.

“Yes, let’s do that. Let’s hurry.” He grabs several of the gifts, hurrying to the living room to deposit them. Junmyeon laughs to himself, grabbing several gifts and following behind his eager husband. They place the gifts under the tree; color coordinating the gifts by child, making sure the piles are neat. Once the last gift was placed, Jongin stood up and let out a sigh.

“There. Now Santa has come.” He turns just in time to get an armful of his husband, legs wrapping around his waist.

“I’ve been a good boy too, Santa. Why don’t I show you how good I’ve been?” Jongin laughs, shuffling down the hall, shamelessly groping his husband’s .

“Merry Christmas, Jun.” Junmyeon kisses his softly before whispering.

“Merry Christmas, Jongin.”