A Cupid's Mistake 1

A Cupid's Mistake

[A Cupid's Mistake 1]

Cu-pid

[kyoo-pid]

Noun

-a similar winged being, or a representation of one, especially as symbolic of love.

~

 

It was all way back in Hellenistic period when people believed in Zitao and his collegues. Beings looked up to the Greek deities, and hope they would take good care of them, or help them in any possible way. 

Zitao was potrayed as the son of the love goddess, Venus, by the mortals who believed in him. Tao, he is, the god of desire, love, attraction and affection. His job was to bring two souls together and blossom love within them. It would be simple for Zitao; 84% were said to be a 'Love at first sight'. Mortals back then would bless the Cupids who found them love, wishing them eternal happiness.

 

Zitao was happy.

 

Zitao enjoyed his job fairly. He was happy seeing the number of couples increase, the amount of love, care and trust grow.

 

They were happy.

 

Out of the 500,346,821 individuals Zitao has been in charged of, he suceeded in finding all the 500,346,821 a mate. It wasn't easy finding the other 18% a partner that would result in a happy ending in the end. But he still managed to find them one anyway.

 

Failure was never an option.

 

*

 

Everytime Zitao suceeded in finding a mate for his 'clients'- he'd refer to, Athena would grant him permission to visit the mortal world in his mortal form for an hour, and Zitao would usually save those hours of visiting mortals. He explained to Athena that sometimes, he would need to visit the mortal world to complete the tasks assigned to him, and for his wisdom, Athena granted him a good-looking mortal form whenever he visited the mortal world.

 

So far Zitao has touched the soil four times.

 

Folks refering Zitao and workers of the same rank as him to mystical and beautiful Latin names was another thing that Zitao liked about his job. They call him Eros, Cupido, Veanus' Son, Love god.

 

Zitao prefers the title Cupid.

 

*

 

 

 

 

As the mordern era began to set in, the number of believers in those deities decreased. No one actually believed in them, as they were refered to the term of 'classical Roman mythology'. Some said they were Roman Art, others, well... They just couldn't be bothered about it.

What saddens Zitao most was that humans didn't credit he and his colleagues who found them a partner. They just told everyone a random story of how they met on the streets and it was all a 'Love at a first sight' thing.

 

No one believes Greek gods existed.

 

*

 

Zitao sat on a bench and ruffeled his hair. He had came down to the mortal world, with the permission of Athena, and the warnings of his parents, Mercury and Diana. Zitao really needed a break from his work and Athena gladly allowed him to do so, since he had been working non-stop for a while. Somehow, Zitao felt work wasn't as enjoyable when people didn't credit him or his collegues for their work.

Zitao stretched his arms while yawning. He looked around the area, and realised a young teenage was sitting beside him all this while, scribbling messy notes on a notebook. The Cupid craned his neck to have a better look at what was the mortal writing; mainly because he was... Curious (?)  

 

The Cupid immediately perked up when read the messy scribbles that were on the boy's notebook. It was all about Greece and Greek Dieties. Zitao read on and on till where the mortal was scribbling. The immortal's eyes widened when he saw the mortal writing about the first Cupid (or Zitao).

When the boy had finished writing about the third cupid, he flipped to a fresh, new page and began to write delicately, in cursive.

When is Cupid going to find my soulmate?

 

It felt great, for Zitao, to know that he still has an existance in the mordern world.

 

*

 

Zitao was being called back immediately, for he had a new case to handle. Zitao took the file from Fate, and quickly scan through the infomation for his next client.

His name was Do Kyungsoo, age 17, an awkward turtle, cooks great and does pottery . Zitao squealed when he saw a picture of his next client. He looked so squishable and adorable. But what worries Zitao most was that there was no one out there for him.

The immortal frowned. Where is he going to find a partner for this squishy squish? That personality of Kyungsoo didn't click with 99.98% of the human population, plus the fact that he's homoual. Zitao closed his eyelids and pinched the bridge of his nose. There was a way, which would be tedious.  

 

*

 

Zitao made his way to the Angel's Department and asked the Great Big Angel for permission to summon Kyungsoo's angel. The Great Big Angel looked at Zitao and considered about agreeing to the Cupid's request. And finally, he gave in to Zitao for he was the first cupid, had perfect records, and his parents were the Great Big Angel's teachers. 

Soon, an out-of-shape flying blob came face-to-face with Zitao. Zitao looked at the angel in front of him and went deep in thought. It was almost impossible to find Kyungsoo a mate, but it was eaiser to find the angel in front of him a mate.

Zitao snapped his fingers as a light bulb appeared above his head. He shall make the angels fall in love before the masters of the angels fall in love, rather than the classic 'The mortals shall fall in love before their angel does'.

 

Turning to the Great Big angel, Zitao asked,"Sir, could you please summon Chen? I would like him to be with Xiumin, here."

 

 

End of Part 1.