Cold

The Untold Story

AN: Hello everyone! Thank you so much for the support, I'm so glad people are enjoying the story. I read all of your comments and suggestions, so thank you for them! As my story progresses, some more tiny differences from the drama may pop up here and there, but I will be explaining them as time goes on, so bear with me! Without further ado, here's chapter 3!


Bona took a deep breath as she settled herself into her seat. Hyoshin-sunbaenim gave her a thumbs-up from the other side of the glass and the red “ON AIR” sign began flashing.

“Anyeong, Lee Bona speaking. Before I begin, I’d like to share a quote with you all: 'There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” I am flattered by the continued interest in my absence, but I am back and Jeguk Broadcasting’s rightful host has returned.”

Bona fell back into the rhythm quickly, and the rest of the show went by without a hitch. She felt at ease doing what she did best and began to think that her first day back wouldn’t be so bad after all. But the good feeling didn’t last long as she looked at the jumble of numbers and signs on the chalkboard in front of her.

Bona had only missed a week in school, but in Jeguk High School’s standards, it might as well have been a month. She knew she would be behind in class once she came back, and had hoped that by doing the homework, she would at least be able to catch up. But hearing the amount of gibberish coming out of her professor’s mouth, she had serious doubts about being able to score decently on the upcoming exams. Bona had always prided herself on being able to learn on her own, hence never asking her parents for a private tutor like the rest of her classmates. But did she have any other options now?


Chanyoung was very surprised to hear Bona’s voice erupt on the loudspeaker that morning. To be honest, he did not think his words broke through to the girl. In fact, the entire night seemed like a dream to him; he was unsure it even happened, especially since Bona didn’t even give him a passing glance when she walked into the classroom. 

She took a seat between Yesol and Myungsoo, a notable distance from Tan, observed Chanyoung. The inevitable whispers began, but she paid no attention to it. In fact, as the period went on, Chanyoung thought she looked more and more…confused.

“Now, last piece of business before I let you all go. It’s time for class president nominations! Remember, each nomination requires a second vote from another student before they are put on the ballot. Let’s begin!”

A flurry of hands shot up around him and Professor Kim began jotting names down on the board. Chanyoung had been waiting for this moment, and confidently raised his hand high amongst the others.

“I nominate myself,” Chanyoung announced loudly as the room fell into silence.

Professor Kim looked shocked, but then gave him a nod of approval as he looked to the class expectantly. “Does anyone second?”

Becoming class president was one of Chanyoung’s ultimate goals. He was practically made for the role, and he knew no one would make a better class president than he would. He just hoped someone would see that and give him the chance to show everyone. But as he listened to the silence in the room, he knew he had expected too much of his classmates.

 “I second,” a familiar voice called out right at the last second.

“Bona-ssi?” Professor Kim looked at his student with pleasant surprise, “Well, there’s the second vote! Yoon Chanyoung will be our third and last candidate. Voting will take place in two months, right after final exams. Candidates, start preparing your campaigns! Class dismissed.”

“Bona-yah, what are you thinking?” scolded Yesol as Bona started packing up her backpack.

Bona ignored her as she got up and made her way towards an equally shocked Chanyoung.

“You,” she said, looking him straight in the eye, “Come with me.” And the crowd of students parted to let the pair through.

Eventually they arrived at the broadcasting room, where Bona dug a key out of her bag and unlocked the door.  Hyoshin was sitting inside, but with one look from Bona, he got up and made his way towards the exit.

“Now you two don’t do anything I wouldn’t do, okay?” he joked before shutting the door behind.

“Don’t speak. Let me do the talking,” Bona said as she turned towards him, arms crossed across her chest.

Chanyoung smiled to himself as he watched the girl pace back and forth, trying to come up with the right words to say.

“First of all, if you want to become class president, you should have come up with a better plan. Everyone here is looking out for themselves, so don’t expect anyone to help you.”

Chanyoung looked at her expectantly.

“I did you a favor and helped you get your nomination, but you still have a long way to go. I’ll help you….but you have to do something for me in return.”

Now it was Chanyoung’s turn to look confused.

“I’m a….tiny bit behind after missing a week of class, so if you’re as smart as your father says you are, teaching me should be no problem for you.”

Chanyoung could not suppress his laughter this time around. “The great Lee Bona asking me for help? After making me travel through Seoul in the cold and bombarding me with your stuffed animals, you want my help now?

Bona ignored him. “So do you want my help or not? Lee Bona does not offer her assistance to just anyone, you know.”

It was so Bona-esque to spin the situation around so it seemed like it was her doing him a favor instead of the other way around. He did not want to admit it, but after the showing in class today, it’d be hard pressed for him to get the votes needed to become class president. He needed a trump card to grab everyone’s attention, and nobody was better at grabbing attention than Bona. Chanyoung held out his hand to her.

“Deal.”


Bona tapped on the glass and her driver quickly rolled down the window.

“Yeh, Bona-ssi?”

“I have some business to take care of, tell mother and father I’ll be back for dinner.”

He nodded and proceeded to drive out of the school parking lot.

“So where’s your driver?” she asked Chanyoung as she looked around.

Chanyoung scoffed and started walking away, “A great man once told me, ‘Korea created the subway for a reason’.”


Bona could not stop her teeth from chattering and was rubbing her hands furiously up and down her arms to keep warm.

“How much farther are we?” she wined, her breath creating a cloud in the cold air.

“Either way we have to go there, so telling you would just make it worse,” Chanyoung reasoned out loud, “And as a matter of fact, I’m going to start my tutoring now. This,” he pinched at the paper thin jacket she was wearing, “is the saddest excuse of a jacket I’ve ever seen.”

“Well in California, it neve-“

“Never gets this cold, I get it! But you’re in Korea now, so unless you want to freeze to death, getting an appropriate jacket would be a wise decision.”

“Instead of lecturing me, you know what a ‘wise decision’ would be? Something a real gentleman would have done by now? Lending me your jacket!”

“Tsk, you w- YAH!” Bona had latched her hands onto the hood of his jacket and began yanking with all her might. However, Chanyoung towered high above her, and it seemed more like an ant climbing a hill.

When her efforts produced no results, Bona knew she had to bring out her secret weapon: the aegyo.

“Oppa,” Bona cooed, blinking her long eyelashes at him, “It’s soooooooo col-“

“You play dirty,” snapped Chanyoung as he whipped off his jacket and tossed it at her. Aegyo was his weak point, and unfortunately for him, it was Bona’s speciality.

Bona stuck out her tongue as she snuggled into oversized jacket.

The next two blocks passed in silence, and on their third and last block, Bona whispered a soft “Thanks.” Better late than never thought Chanyoung as he hid his own shivers.

At last, they reached the subway station and the duo quickly scrambled down the stairs. As expected, Bona looked like a deer caught in headlights as she took in the scene before her. She watched him with fascination as he bought her ticket at the machine and they maneuvered through various platforms to get to their train.  

They boarded the train right before the doors closed, and managed to grab the last pair of seats left.

“Do you do this everyday?” Bona asked him curiously.

“Pretty much. I mean, I could take the taxi if I wanted to, but I don’t really mind the subway.”

The doors opened when they arrived at the next stop and another influx of people entered. Chanyoung grabbed Bona’s arm and yanked her out of her seat as he motioned towards an aged couple that had just boarded. They took their seats graciously, and the grandmother gave Bona a soft pat on the arm in appreciation. Bona quickly gave her a small bow in response.

“I would hold on if I were you,” Chanyoung advised, pointing at the hand-holds hanging from the ceiling.

She grabbed the closest one and braced herself once the train started moving again. Bona was taking this a lot better than Chanyoung had expected. She had already done everything he asked with minimal complaints, and that was already above and beyond his expectations.

“Why do you want to be class president?” Bona asked him suddenly.

“Many reasons,” Chanyoung mused, “It’s something I always expected myself to do in the future. I want to lead people and set a good example. A class president is supposed to help their class grow and become better; I want to do that, and I know I can do it.”

“Why do you want to help them? I mean, they’re not exactly your number one fans.”

“But that doesn’t make me any less capable. Just because they have low expectations for me, doesn’t mean that I should listen to them.”

“Does that not make you angry? Or sad?”

“Why should it? I know what they’re thinking isn’t true. I’m sure that if they give me the chance, I can show them I’m the best class president they could ask for.”

“You’re more vain than I thought you were, Yoon Chanyoung.”

“This isn’t vanity. I’m just confident in my abilities. I can also guarantee you that I’ll be ranked number one in our exams.”

“Tsk, good luck with that!” Bona scoffed. She may have seemed sarcastic on the outside, but on the inside, she was in awe at how strong this boy was. He was literally alone, with no one on his side, yet he still had the courage and determination to do this. She wondered how it was possible.

They finally arrived at their stop, and Chanyoung began leading the way to his apartment complex. His neighborhood was definitely higher-end than most. After all, his father was a long-time employee of Jeguk, and his pay was still hefty compared to other residents of Korea. They passed the security desk on the ground floor and took the elevator the rest of the way.

“It’s not much,” Chanyoung commented as he opened the door and led her inside.

“I like it,” Bona said earnestly as she surveyed the area. It had a very homey feel to it; a feeling a lot of homes ironically lacked.

Chanyoung spread out their books and other study materials on the table and the two began to work immediately. They had midterm examinations next week and they both knew Bona could not afford to be any more behind.


“…and that’s proven by the Central Limit Theorem. Does that make sense?”

“Uhh, yes.”

“Okay, so try this problem here.”

Bona looked at the problem in front of her, and her eyebrows furrowed in concentration. She bit her bottom lip and tapped her pencil furiously, but still the solution was not coming to her.

“Do you need help?”

“No!” Bona snapped, as she continued racking her brain.

Chanyoung put up his hands in defeat and decided to leave the girl at it. He surfed the web for about ten minutes and glanced over at Bona. Her paper was still blank, but her frustration seemed to have doubled.

“Our deal was that I teach you, right? I can’t help you if you don’t let me,” Chanyoung said as he gestured towards her paper.

Her lips remained sealed, and the infamous Bona stubbornness was becoming to come out again.

“What is so bad about asking for help? It’s like pulling teeth with you!”

Bona shot him a look. Little did he know, asking for help was definitely the equivalent of pulling teeth for her; maybe even worse. She did not know what overcame her today to vote for Chanyoung and to strike a deal as she did. It was very unlike her. She did things on her own and solved all her problems alone. Bona did not want to succumb to a tutor from her parents, yet here she was with Chanyoung. This whole situation was very strange for her; walking through the snow, taking the subway, sitting in this stranger’s living room. She pondered the strange turn of events and forgot about the daunting set of problems that lay before her.

Chanyoung saw the girl begin to daze out, and snapped his fingers in front of her. She blinked back into reality, and instead of waiting for her to ask for help, Chanyoung decided to force-feed it to her. 

“Let me explain it again, so this number here is the upper limit. That means this number here has to be the….” He went through the theorem again, this time going over the smaller details he had skipped over.

“Any questions?”

Again, Bona had this strained look on her face, as though she was having some sort of internal battle with herself. Chanyoung did not press her and just sat back and waited.

“The 2,” Bona said all of a sudden, pointing at the number on the paper, “Explain it.”

Chanyoung smiled to himself at Bona’s poor attempt at asking for help, but at least it was something.


They had successfully gotten through one day’s worth of material in just a few hours. Chanyoung was impressed by Bona’s work ethic; she may complain about a lot of things, but not once did she ask for a break or ask for him to go slower. But Chanyoung was beginning to learn how to read her, and noticed when to slow it down or repeat things because he knew she would never succumb to asking him herself.

Before she knew it, it was dark outside and Bona remembered that she had promised to be home for dinner. As if on cue, her phone began ringing; it was her mother.

“Anyeong, Umma.”

“Bona-yah, where are you? We’re worried, you said you would be home for dinner.”

Most of her peers had poor relationships with their parents, but Bona was very lucky to have both a loving mother and a loving father.

“Sorry, I went to a friend’s house. I’ll be coming home now!”

“Are you at Tan’s house? It’s getting late for a young girl to be there alone, we can send someone over to pick you up.”

Bona had the perfect parents and the least she could do was be a perfect daughter for them. And perfect daughters did not get dumped.

“Not today,” Bona lied, “I’m at Yesol’s house. I can get home myself!”

“Okay, if you’re sure. How was school today?”

“It was fine, piece of cake!” Perfect daughters did not disappoint. “I’ll tell you more about it when I get home. Bye!” and she quickly hung up.

“Are you leaving now?” Chanyoung asked.

“I have to be home for dinner,” she answered as she stuffed the last of her books into her bag, “I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

“How are you getting home?”

“I’ll catch a taxi.”

“I’ll walk you down.”

“I have my own legs, I can go on my own.”

“All the power to you then,” Chanyoung said, not bothering to argue with her. He held the front door open for her, and she gave him a curt wave before stepping into the elevator


“Maybe this wasn’t the best idea,” Bona muttered to herself as she continually tried to hail a taxi, yet they all kept speeding by her.

She was about to give up and call for her driver when a taxi miraculously stopped on its own right in front of her.

Assa! Persistance pays off. She quickly scrambled into the vehicle and closed the door behind her.


“Tsk, she acts like she’s so grown up and independent, but in reality, she’s just a little girl,” Chanyoung thought to himself as he stood in the lobby, watching her climb into the taxi.

“Thanks for calling the cab,” he said to the security guard who gave him a thumbs up in return. Despite her disapproval, Chanyoung decided that letting Bona wander around alone in a strange place was probably not the best idea, and proceeded to follow her downstairs.

She kept Chanyoung and the guard entertained as they watched her jump up and down and scream her lungs out for a taxi, to no avail. In the end, he felt sorry for her and told the guard to call up one of the taxis they had on standby.

He made his way back up to the apartment and began packing up his own books and study materials. As he was cleaning, he discovered a small note taped to the seat Bona had sat in.

“Thanks for lending me your jacket and thanks for teaching me today. Now shred this note. –Lee Bona”

Chanyoung laughed to himself as he picked up the note and walked back to his room. He taped the note to his desk, intending to use it as good blackmail one day. This girl is so strange. 


And that's Chapter 3! Bona has to live by all these perfect standards, but will Chanyoung show her it's okay to be imperfect? Stay tuned to see how Chanbo's "untold story" unfolds!