Girls and Boys These Days

The Untold Story

 

Lee Bona stepped out of her limo and quickly wrapped her thick coat tight around her body as the crisp winter air enveloped her. She was used to Californian sunshine year-round, and Korea’s below freezing temperatures were far from her liking. Bona winced as another gust of cold wind hit her, and she frowned thinking of all the damage this was doing to her smooth complexion.

Jeguk High School lay before her and she felt a mix of emotions.

As the owner and chairman of the world-famous Mega Entertainment, her father, Lee Hyunwoo, had always been able to run his company in America. But after making the decision to focus solely on Korean entertainment, the headquarters had to be moved back to Korea and so did her father. Her brother was old enough to stay and study in America, but when it came to their youngest, little Bona, her parents could not bear to leave her behind.

Lee Bona-shi! Look over here, let me snap a picture!

Bona-shi, how does it feel to live in Korea? Do you miss your life back in America? Do you blame your father?

Jeguk High School is full of the most elite young heirs of Korea. Any contenders you have your eyes on?

Bona looked around in confusion as she was bombarded by a group of reporters. The Jeguk High School security team was dispatched and she felt herself being grabbed and dragged through the crowd and into the school’s main building.

Bona let out a sigh of relief as she stood in the toasty warm hallway. Sure, moving to Korea wasn’t her ideal, and she would be lying if she said she didn’t throw a huge tantrum when she first heard of the news. But when push comes to shove, this was for her family, and for that, she was willing.

“Who are you, who is your family, and what do they do?” a snarky voice asked.

Bona pursed her lips at the group of three girls that stood in front of her, staring her down with their arms crossed across their chest. 

“What makes you think I answer to you?” scoffed Bona as she brushed past the girls. So this was how high school was in Korea, huh?

“Yah, what kind of attitude is that? Who do you think are?!” yelled one of the girls as another roughly grabbed Bona’s arm and pulled her back.

Before Bona could lash back, she felt the arm being pried off her own, and two looming figures stepped in between the two parties.

“Lee Bona. Daughter of Lee Hyunwoo of Mega Entertainment,” stated one of the boys.

“So now that we’ve established she’s out of your league,” said the other, “Get lost.”

The girls, looking both embarrassed and angry, stormed away without another word.

“I can handle myself just fine,” snapped Bona as the two mysterious figures turned towards her.

“A thank you would have been enough,” laughed the taller one. His nametag read Choi Young Do.

“Or a thank you kiss,” joked the other one, who gave her a subsequent wink.

“Not a bad idea, Kim Tan!”

Bona tried to disguise her blush and gave them a look of disgust instead.

“We’re just kidding!” cried Tan, who put up his hands in surrender when he saw Bona walking away. “I can see you’re new here. Can I show you around Ms. Mega Entertainment?”

Bona paused and pursed her lips. She knew she shouldn’t turn around. She knew it would be a bad idea. But who was Bona to follow the rules?


 

One year later

“Anyeonghaseo. My name Yoon Chanyoung. I do not have a rich family background, I am not the heir to a multi-million dollar company. I have my intelligence, motivation, and drive. I look forward to all my years at Jeguk High School. But anyone who doubts me, I will be sure to prove you wrong.” Chanyoung gave a slight bow as he finished his introduction and made his way back to his desk, being sure to keep his head high and proud.

His father had told him Jeguk High School would be a challenge, and one thing Chanyoung did was never turn down a challenge. His father was nearing his third year working for Jeguk Company and was finally promoted to the Secretary position. He had worked hard to get to this point, and one of his rewards was being able to send his son to this prestigious school. Chanyoung would not let him down.

As the teacher was about to start the lesson, two giggling figures burst through the doors hand in hand.

“Yah, Lee Bona, Kim Tan, this again? And on the first day of school?” chided Professor Kim.

“Won’t happen again, Professor!” said Tan in a serious voice as he gave the teacher a salute. Bona tried, and failed, to stifle her laughter as she made her way towards her usual seat.

Chanyoung was reading his notebook intently when he saw a pair of high heels stop in front of his desk.

“Ahem.”

Chanyoung continued reading.

“AHEM!”

Chanyoung reached into his backpack, pulled out his water bottle, and handed it blindly to the figure in front of him.

“What’s that for?”

“Something in your throat?”

Bona scoffed in disbelief at how much attitude the new kid, who was sitting in her seat, was giving her.

“Lee Bona, get in a seat. Now,” ordered Professor Kim.

Bona let out a huff and stomped her way towards the empty seat in the back corner, “Boys these days,” she muttered under her breath.

The rest of the period went by uneventfully until the bell rang and everyone filed out of the classroom. Tan had fallen asleep, as usual, and Bona made her way over to her boyfriend to wake him up. She walked down the aisle of desks, and a note left on “her” desk caught her eye.

Girls these days,” it read.