Escaping

The Guardians
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One – Escaping

In Terion

Exactly five years ago, my nation, Terion, had faced its worst nightmare. The once prosperous land, with bountiful plants, took a turn for the worse. Lives were turned upside down because of the power struggle between the Seekers and the Keepers. I lost my parents and older brother due to the ongoing war. It was then that I vowed to do anything to stop the feud between the two powerful groups. My name is Aeri and I am on a journey to kill the original Seekers and Keepers who started this war.

“Aeri, are you thirsty?” A hand held out a jug of water, I looked up and found Yunho looking down with a small smile on his face. Taking the jug, I quenched my thirst before I continued on with the discussion.

“Thank you Yunho,” I gave him a curt nod, then took a few gulps of water. “We have to make it to Arcadia before nightfall.” I took a look at the terrain, it was going to be a difficult journey for the two of us.

Shouldn’t we discuss what we’re going to do first Aeri? I mean, we don’t even have a plan for what we’re going to do once we reach Arcadia. For all we know, it could be a death trap.” Yunho looked at me with a worried expression on his face. Before I even had a chance to talk, he continued, “I heard that the war between the Seekers and the Keepers made Arcadia the battleground and it’s a devastating area. Not only that, it’s going to be very dangerous when we arrive there.”

I nodded. I understood his worries and knew that it was pretty dumb going there without a plan but there was no use in just sitting around in Terion. It was even more dangerous for us to stay in Terion because both the Seekers and the Keepers were fighting over these lands. Both groups wanted control over the land for our fertile soil but they were just making things worse. Our Queen has also gone into hiding and no one has heard any word from the castle on the situation of our country.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do but we’re not just going to sit here and watch Keepers and Seekers fighting on our land. We have to do something.”

“Like what?”

“My older brother used to tell me stories about the Guardians. Before he died, he told me that there were still some that are around and staying neutral in this war. He told me that we’d have to find them and they’d most likely be hiding out in Arcadia, where the Uniter is.”

Yunho looked at me with a hesitant look on his face. His face always told me exactly what’s on his mind. “I don’t know…this seems like we’re just going in there with no idea of what to do. We don’t even know if there are in fact any guardians left. Last I heard, most of them joined with their original leaders and quit being guardians.”

“We have to do something Yunho. I don’t care if you don’t want to come with me, I’m going to Arcadia no matter what.” I made up my mind. There was no point in trying to convince someone who wasn’t going to agree with me. It was wasting both our time and I wanted to get to Arcadia before nightfall.

In Sion

“Mariel, are you seriously going to disobey the Originals’ orders?” Donghae asked as he quickly chased after his sister.

“Donghae, I can’t sit around when our job is to protect Concordia. Look at our world, it’s chaotic. Our only jobs as Guardians was to protect the people and look at them, innocent are dying and the nations are slowly decaying.” Mariel’s heart ached just looking at the effects of the war.

Donghae sighed, his sister was just too caring for her own good. He knew he couldn’t stop her and so he picked up his bag, “I guess I’m coming along with you.”

“I already knew you were coming.” Mariel grinned; she knew her brother couldn’t stand seeing the world struggling when just five years ago, there was peace. “I’m going to see the Uniter first.”

Donghae grew pale as soon as he heard his sister’s plan. “T-the Uniter?” Donghae stuttered, “b-bu..but he’s dead, isn’t he?”

Mariel flicked Donghae’s forehead. “Did you never pay attention in class or something? Even if the Uniter dies, another will take his or her place. The Seer has already chosen the new Uniter.”

“They aren’t going to like it when we go to Arcadia…you know that right?” Donghae wanted to make sure Mariel was serious about her decision because once they take a step out of Sion, not only will the Seekers be after them but also the Keepers. “We’re going to be branded as traitors to the cause.”

“You don’t have to come if you don’t want to Donghae. I’m giving you the opportunity to make your own decision.” Mariel spoke carefully. She didn’t want her brother to feel obligated in coming along with her. It wasn’t her intention of guilt tripping him nor was it her intention of forcing him against his will. “I won’t hate you if you choose to stay, you know that right?”

“I know. My choice is that I’m coming with you. There’s no way you’d survive out there on your own anyways. We’re family and even though we don’t have the same opinions, I share the same views as you on this matter. I believe that we need to put an end to this war, for good.” Donghae replied, his tone was serious and his eyes showed that he was being sincere. Mariel gave him a soft smile while grabbing his shoulder with her hands, “Thank you,” was all she whispered before the two left the room.

Since the two were now marked as traitors, sirens went off as soon as they made their escape towards Arcadia. Sounds of rushed footsteps trailed after them and men shouting for them to stop. “Grab my hand!” Donghae shouted as he extended his arm out, Mariel quickly got a hold of his hand, and then the two disappeared into thin air. The footsteps came to a halt. “They teleported, they’re gone sir.”

In Arcadia

Arcadia, a once prosperous capital was now the center of the battleground. Mariel took a look around the city, she saw so many people out on the streets, buildings were falling apart; Arcadia didn’t look like the capital she once lived in. “I can’t believe this is Arcadia…” Mariel whispered as she took a moment to fully be aware of her surroundings. Donghae followed behind her, he was shocked at the scene as well. They were only gone for a few years; he didn’t expect it to turn out this way. “Mariel, let’s keep moving. It’s not safe being out in the open.”

“The Seer has sent me a location of where they are at the moment, let’s go.” Mariel led the way, and her pace picked up more speed. She wanted to get away because she had seen enough.

“This is where they’re currently living?” Donghae asked as he looked at the old manor in front of him. It looked like no one had lived here in over many years. Mariel pointed her index finger at the hole, a small light beamed out of her fingertip and the gate unlocked itself. “So you have returned Mariel and Donghae Lee.” A loud, powerful v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter