Promise?

Worth the Pain

Minah snuggled her head into Kai’s chest, embracing the warmth she had yearned for for so long. Everything seemed unreal at the moment and all she could hear was the sound of Kai’s loud heartbeats. The bell rang abruptly, signalling the students to go back to class. Minah and Kai both refused to let go but eventually they separated hesitantly.

“Well, I guess it’s time to go huh?” Kai said, wiping away any remaining tears on Minah’s cheeks.

“Y-yeah,” Minah stuttered.

Kai smiled. “I’ll see you at break then. You still need to explain to me about a lot of things.”

Kai quickly gave Minah a few pats on the head before walking to class, leaving Minah standing alone in silence. Wait a minute, did Kai just say he loved me too? Minah scrunched her eyes and attempted to recall the words Kai had said.

“I love you too.”

Her lips began to form a smile as she imagined the whole scene again, but her thoughts were interrupted with another loud bell that meant classes had started. Minah’s eyes snapped open. .

She ran to her math class after grabbing her books, panting loudly. Running had never been her thing. Minah skidded to a halt in front of the classroom door and took a few deep breaths. Slowly, she peeked through the window to see her teacher with her back to the students. This was her chance. Minah bit her bottom lip and gently pulled open the door. Almost all of the student’s heads had turned towards her and she mouthed a silent shhh.

“Minah, what do you think you’re doing?” Mrs. Choi asked, peering over her glasses.

Minah looked at the teacher who had noticed her arrival. Minah bent her head down in defeat and gave a 90 degree bow. “I’m sorry I’m late.”

“I’ll let you off this time.” The teacher gave her a final glance before turning back to the board.

Minah scurried to her seat before heaving a big sigh.

---Break---

Minah took hurried steps to her locker, hoping to avoid Hyuna at any cost. She roughly threw her books in her locker and grabbed her lunch, slamming the door quickly. Minah flinched as a hand landed on her shoulder and her face turned pale. She closed her eyes, ready for what was to come.

“Minah.” The voice didn’t sound like Hyuna’s, rather, the opposite.

Minah turned around only to see Kai with a grieved expression. Minah exhaled in relief. “Kai.”

“What’s wrong? You look sick.” Kai carefully Minah’s hair.

“It’s nothing, don’t worry.” Minah smiled.

“Hmmm…okay,” Kai said hesitantly. “Let’s go.”

Kai quickly led Minah outdoors and behind a few trees where no one could disturb them. Both taking a seat, they looked at each other waiting for someone to break the silence.

“Can you tell me what’s been happening? Last time you said everything so fast I could only catch onto the main points. How much has Hyuna hurt you? Why would you get hurt for me?” Kai blurted.

Minah avoided eye contact and stared blankly at the grass, picking at a few. “I did what I did because I love you. She said she would hurt you.”

Kai let out an exasperated sigh. “Minah, you know I can defend for myself.”

“You don’t understand, you haven’t seen who she’s got on her side. You haven’t felt their strength.”

“And you have?”

Minah remained silent and Kai groaned. Suddenly, he grabbed her wrist and pulled up her sleeves.

“Kai, what are you do –“ Minah paused as her arm covered with colourful bruises and old cuts were exposed.

Kai’s hands began to tremble as he stared at the abused arm. He looked up at Minah’s ashamed expression and almost mentally broke down.

“M-minah, don’t ever go back there. Don’t let them hurt you again.”

Minah nodded silently, still avoiding his gaze.

“Promise?” Kai watched hopefully.

Minah slowly looked up at Kai and blinked back a few tears. “I can’t.”

Kai grabbed her shoulders and shook her, just enough to wake her up. “Promise me!” Kai yelled.

Minah blinked in surprise before slumping back down. “Please.” Kai muttered as he drew his hands away.

“I don’t –“ Kai stopped Minah as he pressed his lips firmly onto hers. Kai leaned closer and cupped Minah’s cheeks. Their lips parted and Kai pulled the small figure into a tight hug.

“I won’t let them hurt you. Don’t even think about it,” Kai whispered into Minah’s ear. “Don’t ever sacrifice yourself for me ever again.”

Minah rested her chin on Kai’s shoulder and gave a small nod. But deep inside she knew that she would sacrifice herself again no matter what happens.


Wow I haven't updated in so long haha sorry

Yay comment and/or subscribbeeee <3