I Love You

I Love You

We were the closest childhood friends, and you were the best one I ever knew. I still remember the first day I met you, when we were only five. Your big sparkly eyes, filled with so much hope, made me smile for the first time in a while. Staring back at me, you broke the silence by asking for my name. Procceding on, you had dragged me into the school, asking me to introduce you to the others. I was shy back then, and had little to no friends. Without my help, you had easily made friends with everyone in the class within minutes. I still recall that beautiful smile hung on your face everyday, your melodious laughter and especially your sparkling eyes which gleamed at me every time.

It was on a summer's day when I had asked you the question. It was on that day, I had felt so broken and lost. It was on that day, you told me your true feelings. We were in the dorm that we shared, and noticing the brighter smiles that you had everyday, I had finally gathered enough courage to ask you.

"Sungjongie, did you ever have a crush? Or maybe loved someone?" I had asked, earning a short silence.

You had been cleaning up the place, and hearing my question, you had stopped, and turning around, you sat down on your bed.

"Maybe." You had answered, and I could see the blush on your cheeks.

"Do you still love that someone?" I had asked once more.

You had a smile on your face, as bright as the sun, as elegant as the moon. Seeing that smile had made me wish the moment would last forever.

"Yup." You had answered, now looking at me.

"Then may I ask, who is it?" I had softly whispered, afraid of your response.

Shyly, you looked down again, and playing with the pillow, you had softly answered, in a voice so soft that it was almost impossible to hear, "Myungsoo."

But I had heard it, and your answer had seemed so loud and clear to me. I was dazed, confused, and most of all, I was heartbroken. But remembering that you were still there, I had kept up a smile, asking, "Why?'

As you started speaking on and on about how good he was, I simply looked on. Nothing you said got into me as I stared at your beautiful face, filled with happiness, joy, and love. My heart ached, and for the next few days, it remained that way, until I finally told myself that it was worth it, just to see you smiling like that. You never once dared to confess, to tell Myungsoo you loved him, even though I had persuaded you to so many times over. I guess that made me both happy and sad, happy that there was hope, but sad that you never could get the happiness you wanted.

However, that had changed recently. That Myungsoo had started seeing someone, and soon, it was official. They were the most popular couple in school, doing special events for the other, and also acting all lovey dovey in school. I saw your beautiful smile disappear, and soon, a fake smile replaced it. Your eyes no longer shine like the stars, and I didn't get to hear your laughter at all. All I heard and saw was the faint crying at night, the sobs you tried to swallow as you ran to the bathroom in the middle of class and your red and swollen eyes in the morning. I too, felt just as sad as you were, and it hurts me more that I cannot be of any help to you, seeing how you always insisted that you were fine.

I had decided to bring you to the beach, to let you forget those feelings for a while. And you had accepted, thinking that my parents were going, and that we were having a little reunion party.

"Where's your parents?" You asked.

"They'll be here later, Sungjongie. Just sit down and feel the wind for now." I replied, giving you a small smile.

You sat down beside me, and as we sat in silence, I noticed that your eyes were drooping.

"Sungjongie, want to lie down on my lap?" I asked.

"It's okay, I'm fine." You answered.

It was the same answer again. The answer when I asked you about Myungsoo, about your swollen eyes.

"No, you're not. So lie down." I said as I grabbed you, resting you on my lap.

"Thank you, Hoya hyung." You said as you closed your eyes.

Looking at you, I slowly your hair. It was so soft, and so smooth. You had never allowed me to touch your hair, only allowing that Myungsoo to ruffle it anytime he wanted to.

A drop of water on my leg surprised me, and I looked at your face, noticing the small tears coming out. Quickly, I wiped it away. You never looked nice when you were crying. You hardly did cry. In fact, you had never cried in front of me since the time when you were injured at the age of six.

"Don't think about him anymore, Sungjongie. Just go to sleep." I said as I continued  your hair.

The tears started flowing, and I continued your hair, knowing that you just wanted to release all that you had surpressed in the last few weeks.

And slowly, the tears stopped, and I could tell, you were fast asleep.

"I love you, Sungjong."