two

C A P T I V E H E A R T S
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER TWO

 

 

 

When the next sunrise graced them, the royal advisor wasted no time to call knights over to the hall where he gave the king’s instructions to the group of men.

“And remember, no harm is to come to the princess.”

When the king’s men received their royal command, they were advised that this mission was to be kept a secret and they dismissed themselves with utmost discretion.

"Remember where your loyalty lies men."

The head knight calls out as they walked deeper and deeper into the woods. Their task was to simply accompany a young lady down from the mountains, simple. As the soldiers kept hiking towards the mountain, they found themselves hard to believe that there could be people living in the mountains, away civilization. Which would make sense in this case if they were supposed to hide the princess away from enemies.

The head knight sensed that their princess was near so he held up his arm and everyone stops at his command. They feast their eyes on a small cabin and knew that this was it. “What shall we do sire?” The head knight looks around and cleared his throat before giving a mighty roar.

“PRINCESS WE HAVE COME FOR YOU. COME OUT OR WE WILL BURN YOU OUT!"

 

.

.

 

 

Emma’s godmother drop her basket with fruits on the floor, surprised by the sudden roar outside. She looks over to the old man with weary eyes. The time has come. It has finally came. She opens the window and spoke to them from there.

“Emma just went to town, she’s not here.”

While Godmother Wu went through numerous scenarios in her mind, Godfather Wu looks over to her and shakes his head. 

"Could it be? Has the time finally come for her?"

Godfather got up from his seat and made his way to the door. "Stay inside; I'll go out to check if they are from our king.”

Emma’s Godmother gave him a wary look, something kept tugging on her heart, giving her this eerie feeling inside her. She leans against the counter and prayed that this feeling subsides. When the door closed behind him, godmother Wu’s legs gave in as she finds herself kneeling on the floor with her eyes closed tightly as she prays. 

“It’s a beautiful day gentlemen.”

Godfather Wu came out of the house to come face to face with a group of men, all dressed in shining armour. He further scanned the group of men and he came to the conclusion that they were from the castle, because the flag one knight was holding onto bares the royal emblem―this was an order from his majesty.

"WHERE IS SHE? WHERE’S THE GIRL?”

“She’s not here sir.”

"WHERE IS THE GIRL OLD MAN?"

“She’s not here, she is in town sir.”

"I WILL ASK YOU ONE LAST TIME OLD MAN, DO NOT TEST MY PATIENCE. WHERE IS THE GIRL?"

The head knight took out his sword and held it against the old man’s throat. To say he wasn’t surprised would be a joke. But he knew that this day will come, he can feel his age creeping up to him and the only thing that kept him going was watching the princess grow into a lady. The godmother eyes widen when she heard a sound of a sword, she quickly got on her feet and open the door to see the old man on his knees with his head held high as he looks at the head knight.

 

 

Flashback

 

The 7 year old Emma Wu took off her cloak when she heard her Godfather announce that they had arrived. Her jaws dropped when she found herself standing on a pathway filled with flowers. Were there any more places that would be as beautiful as this? This land had stretched for as long as her eyes can see it. It was beautiful, her godparents told her of a place where she would let freely expose herself, no one would be there and it excited her. 

Emma dropped everything she was carrying and let her wings come out. Through the journey, she was still unsure whether or not Emma’s wing should come out. So when her godmother saw her wings, she was about to stop her but when the old man place lightly squeezed her shoulder, she just watched the princess fly in the sky. They had to keep the princess in the dark; no one knew the princess inherited the wings from her ancestry and no one will know until the day his majesty decides to summon her back to the castle. Legend speaks on the wings and history recites it. If anything goes wrong during this outing, punishment would be imminent.  

“It’s okay, look at how happy she looks.” Godmother Wu gazes at the beautiful fields. To be honest, it did calm her down.

“Godmother…” She heard the princess spoke up as she dangles herself in front of them with the biggest smile she had ever seen. “C’mon, let loose and let her fly. Those wings shouldn’t be tied down for too long.” He spoke before winking at Emma, “for the princess, this might be her only opportunity to feel free.” There was no one else other then them so the Godmother closes her eyes, waving her off as she told her to do whatever she wishes. Emma laughs, her wings moved and in a blink of an eye, she was up in the sky once again.

"YES! I CAN FINALLY FLY! I’m gonna fly all the way up to the clouds, above all the trees and I’m going to have this amazing race with the birds! HERE I GO!”

Godmother Wu took a branch beside her and taps the old man on the head with it. “Now look at her, she’s never going to want to come down for lunch. I woke up before the blink of dawn making these sandwiches and she’s going to be up there, playing with the birds!”

Godfather Wu laughs happily as he took a sandwich from the basket. “Just in time, don’t mind me, my stomach was calling for one of her signature sandwiches!” 

 

 

{Emma Wu’s POV}

 

When I took a whiff of the sandwich Godfather took out, I flew back down and landed on my feet.

“I’m back!”

“I thought you weren’t going to come back down, child.”

“My stomach was calling out for food, so I had to listen to it.” Godmother looks at Godfather who burst out laughing. “That’s the spirit child, rest up and get all the energy you can!”

"When I am older, I want to fly everywhere. I want my wings to take me places far away.”

“Is that your wish my dear?” Godfather suddenly ask me and I knew my answer, without a doubt, this is what I want to do. With a nod, I do want to fly everywhere. Emma sneaks in between them and pulls them into a hug.

"What did I tell you about showing off your wings? You are–"

"–Precious. I know, you keep telling me but how am I precious? I don't see anyone having wings like me...”

"When the time comes, you will know just how precious you are child."

"I'm not a princess; I’m not from a wealthy family… I'm an angel... how precious can I get?"

"Emma, there’s something I want to give you." 

Godfather reaches into his pockets to retrieve a silk pouch. I heard godmother gasp and we fell silent as I watch it twinkle underneath the shade. Godfather took out the most delicate looking necklace I had ever laid my eyes on. Beauty fit for royals, this necklace was made for a girl who belongs higher up on the social ladder, definitely not someone like me. 

"Come closer child."

I did. I lean in to feel the weight of the necklace on my neck. I could see the twinkle in his eyes as he saw the necklace dangling around my neck, it was so beautiful. So delicate, was it right for me to wear this? I fingers gently went over this necklace.

"Before you were born, your mother had someone make a necklace similar to hers. Every girl should have one piece of jewelry to represent herself. She always wanted the best for you so she searched high and low, searches that ran from the seven seas and the land to make this necklace you see before you. In many ways, you resemble your mother and I don’t think we had said this enough but you are your mother’s shining star. Your mother loved you to the stars and back and your father couldn’t be more happy. You are the star, the star that everyone will look up to and because of it, this star will shine brightly even if the sky is at its darkest."

Godfather squeezed my hands tightly, like he was afraid to let go (of something). Godmother gazes at the princess and smiles warmly.

"This stone is called Amethyst. This delicate purple stone has been told to have healing powers. But also, many use this stone for protection. One of the things your mother wanted to leave for you is protection. I know this isn't exactly the kind of jewelry girls your age will show off to friends. With your mother in mind, I hope you never take this necklace off. In the case if anything happens to us, this (necklace) will protect you, this will be your protector.”

 

‘In the case if anything happens to us..’

‘In the case if anything happens to us...’

 

“Don’s say such sad things, I’m going to stay with you guys forever and ever!"

As Godfather gently my head, he warmly smiled at me. His hands were warm and gentle as they always have been. God mother’s gentle hands let mine so as she looks up at the sky.

"Go play child, we will have to leave this place soon. And don’t forget, no one should know about your wings. Remember my words child, no one must know and you can’t show them to anyone."

My wings lif

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter