Don't Give Up

Don't Give Up

Music: For the First Time By the Script Cover By Boyce Avenue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=341vSMO5ISU

-------------------------------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Walking in the busy street of New York City he lifts up the New York Times newspaper in front of his face. He squint his eyes from the shining sun he felt his phone vibrate in his right pants pocket.

Grabbing out his phone he unlocked it and found he had one new message from his lover. Opening the message up he read the three words that hurt his heart.

I need you.

-Eun Hye

Sighing Min Ho put his phone back in his right pants pocket. He was looking for a job here in the busy street of New York since his last job didn’t go well. Times weren’t like these two years ago when his lover and he left their hometown to start a life together.

From Seoul to New York City was 6,881 miles apart. They thought living here alone together with new faces can bring a new start for the both of them. With enough money they rented an apartment and were nicely settle, but things slowly start to slip out of places. Money was slowly slipping out the door, their apartment once with the living room decorated, bedroom nicely done with a comfortable bed were gone. What’s left is the floor, living room couch and bed is a mattress. Pictures hanging up on the wall, vases with fake flowers were gone, and everyday meal was to go.

Min Ho let out a frustrated sigh, just thinking about the past and present now makes him angry. Not at his love one of course, but him for letting this happen and living the way they are right now.

He’d been looking at hiring jobs for two days now with no success. Eun Hye has been in their apartment they manage to live in. But with no furniture’s in the apartment it just look all empty, the walls that are white with the paint chipping off and the dark wooden floor just look run down. Eun Hye is a painter, she’s very talented and has been studying in a university here in New York, but with the money they couldn’t afford it. Making her give up her dream to become a great artist with her works putted on the museum wall. Now she sometimes walk in the busy street of New York, stay home and paint if she did get her pay day from working at a coffee shop to buy paint canvas and paint. If lucky enough sell it to make some money.

Recently though things have been quiet between them. Come to think of it, Min Ho thought, before he left the apartment he tries to kiss her sweetly on the lips for a success to find a job. All he got was Eun Hye dodging his lip’s until he gave up and said good bye and left. He wanted to be with her and lift up her mood, but right now he felt like a useless guy who couldn’t give his girlfriend a better life.

“What is wrong with me? I can’t even find a job.” Min Ho spoke under his breath while walking by a shop. The fact that he was in the unemployment line like one of the millions on earth makes it hard to get a job. Now a day the universe was changing drastically. Jobs are harder to find, money even harder, living life, products, etc.

Passing by a supermarket, he spotted cheap bottles of beers on sale. 8 packs of beers for $5.00, he took out his money he had in his left pocket and counted how much he had.

“Fifty dollars,” Min Ho said and gave a fake laugh. He still had a bit money in his bank and carrying this much money in his pocket was like a laugh. His friend here in New York all carried at least a hundred dollars. Ignoring those thought he went inside the supermarket.

“Ah, Min Ho you’re finally back.” Eun Hye said and put down her book she was reading. Getting out off the couch-mattress she went towards him who was hanging his cut on the hanger. He felt her hug him from behind. Giving a tight hug missing him…

“Eun Hye-ah,” Min Ho spoke and turned around guiding her back to the couch-mattress. “I bought us something.”

“What is it?” She asks curious.

“I bought you…” Min Ho trailed off pulling out the eight stacks of cheap beers. Eun Hye stared him in the eye confuse and disappointed.

“Min Ho-ah you know we need to find a way to get more money.” She started to say as Min Ho hush her and open a bottle of beer for her then another for him.

“Come on we’ll each drink two to save the other four for tomorrow. Let’s just talk with each other for tonight.” Min Ho said as Eun Hye took the beer in her hand and stared at it for a bit before taking a small sip.

“So you remember how we decided to come here. Starting a new life together?” Min Ho asks and took a small sip of beer to make the can of beer last longer.

“Of course, our parents didn’t agree on our relationship. We kept it hidden and when the secret was out we ran away here together to start a new life.” Eun Hye said swirling her can gently around in her hand.

“You remember it so clearly.” Min Ho turns to face her and smile. She smiled back, that same smile brought back the memory of their first meeting for the first time.

“Of course,” Eun Hye spoke as he took another gulp. As their second can of beer came around both of them hugged each other and lay down on the mattress staring up at the ceiling still talking until sleep kicked in.

The next day Min Ho once again set off to find a job. This time he got a gentle kiss from Eun Hye. Walking around for two hours with every store manager’s shaking their head apologizing. Sighing he stepped inside a small bar with the bell ringing every time some opens the door. Looking around at the place it had people in it but not much. Taking a seat near the bar table the bartender came in front of him wiping clean a glass cup.

“What can I get you?” The bartender about Min Ho’s age asks.

“Water will be fine.” Min Ho reply as the bartender raised his eyebrow and walked away. A minute later a glass cup with ice cubes and water in it was place in front of Min Ho.

“Here you go sir.”

“Thanks.” Min Ho said and finished the cups of water in one go leaving the ice cubes inside the glass cup.

“You are looking for a job?” The bartender asks pointing at the newspaper in Min Ho’s hand.

“Yeah I am, been hard though.” Min Ho replies looking at the bartender closer.

He looked Korean also, black hair, handsome face, and pretty tall but not as tall as him.

“What’s your name?” Min Ho asks.

“Kim Bum a pleasure to meet you…” Bum trailed off waiting for him to say his name also.

“Lee Min Ho.” Min Ho spoke shaking his hand as Bum gave a smile that could have captured many women hearts.

“You’re Korean yes?” Bum asks taking the cup that was empty from Min Ho to refill another glass of water.

“Yeah, you are too am I correct?” Min Ho asks raising one of his eyebrows.

Bum once again smiled, “Yeah, my girlfriend and I live here together.”

“Ah, I would’ve have thought you were the players type with that smile of yours.” Min Ho said and laughed.

“Thanks that’s what all the guys say, but I’m actually the shy type.” Bum said as a girl came out the door behind Bum’s.

“Ahhh So Eun this is Minho.” Bum said as the woman turn to look at Min Ho with a sincere smile. Standing beside Bum he wrapped his arm around her waist. “This is my girlfriend I was talking about, Kim So Eun.” Bum introduced, both Min Ho and So Eun exchanged handshakes as she walked off to serve a customer.

“We both own this shop together, a small business for the both of us to live our lives together.” Bum said and sighed happily. Min Ho envied him but ignore that feeling, he should be happy for him.

“Don’t let her go now, from seeing her just now she looks like one of a kind woman.” Min Ho said as Bum nod his head.

“Exactly of what I thought when I fall for her.” Bum said and turns to look at Min Ho.

“You don’t look like a bad person, very easy to talk to. You want a job here? We’re hiring also, if you didn’t happen to see our sign outside.” Bum said as Min Ho eyes widen with happiness.

“Really Bum?” Min Ho asks beaming.

“Yeah, we’re all Korean and friends from now on why now?” Bum said smiling; Min Ho shook his hand and thanked him.

“Thank you so much I don’t know how to ever repay you. My girlfriend will be so happy.” Min Ho said smiling, bidding farewell he dashed out the shop and ran home at once.

“Eun Hye!” Min Ho burst through the door as Eun Hye looked up at him with surprise.

“What is it?”

“I finally found a job at a bar, a small business. Wonderful shop owner/couple hired me.” He spoke all at once.

“That’s great Eun Hye shouted and threw her arms around his neck. Twirling her around the living room both Eun Hye and Min Ho decided to celebrate with their last four cans of cheap beers.

As night came they drank and talked with one another. Now and then they will stare into each other eyes and smile.

“Did you know I love to sing also besides painting?” Eun Hye asks as Min Ho shook his head feeling surprise. For the first time once again he felt like they were meeting for the first time, not knowing this.

“Yah, you do know I told you remember? You just probably had forgotten already yah-ish.” Eun Hye said falling to sleep. Watching her sleep peacefully Min Ho her hair and fell asleep also.

Waking up from the morning sun is shining at her eyes Eun Hye slowly opened them and found Min Ho gone from her side.

“Where he go?” Eun Hye asks out loud scratching her head, “Probably to work.”

“I don’t start work until tomorrow. I woke up earlier than you today and went to go buy things.” Min Ho said coming out of the kitchen with a tray of food.

“What’s this?” Eun Hye asks surprise.

“Breakfast for you, we have cereal, orange juice, full grain bread that is toasted, butter to put on the bread.” Min Ho asks putting u down on the floor beside Eun Hye who was still sitting on the mattress.

“Thank you.” Eun Hye said as Min Ho shook his head and took her hands in his smiling.

“No thank you for always staying by my side even though these times are hard making us crazy. Thank you for never giving up on me Eun Hye-ah.” Min Ho said taking her hands and putting it upon his lips kissing it gently.

“I will never give up on you Min Ho, I love you.” Eun Hye said and hugged him as Min Ho hugged her back and for the first time this didn’t felt like the first time they met because this was like the millionth time from all the hardships they went through with each other. Hugging each other and never giving up on one another.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you guys enjoyed this oneshot :)