Chapter 1

Wishes

You rolled around on you bed while groaning. Completely bored and restless. The walls felt uncomfortable close and you climbed off your bed before walking over to the window. You looked up at the sky and the stars twinkling overhead. How you wished you go outside and breathe in the cold, night air. Anything to ease this stifling feeling inside you and anything to chase away this mundane, boring feeling.
That was when a crazy idea went through your head. You really shouldn't. You'd be dead if your parents caught you. But...
You grabbed a jacket and put it on. Then as quietly as possible, you tip-toed out of you bedroom and went downstairs. The house was dark and silent as you made your way into the dining room. You went over to the window, unlocked it, and carefully opened it. You stood there for a moment and listened but didn't hear any sounds in the house. Then you pushed on the screen so it'd pop out before setting it on the lawn and leaning against the house. Another few seconds of listening but again, there was only silence.
Taking a deep breath, you climbed out of the window and then carefully closed it a little so you'd be able to open it again. Adrenaline rushed through your veins as you allowed yourself a brief moment to realize what you had done. You felt excited, anxious, giddy and nervous all at once. You muffled a giggle as you scurried down the sidewalk, looking every which way to see if anyone noticed you. Despite a few lights on in some of the other houses, nobody else is outside and you smiled happily.
That changed though as you walked for a few minutes and then saw another person outside. You came to an abrupt halt, surprised to see someone and stared. The stranger didn't seem to be in much of a hurry as the ambled down the sidewalk, getting closer to you but seeming oblivious of that fact as they looked up at the stars.
You stayed where you were, frozen in place as they neared. It was only when they were a couple of feet from you that they finally looked down. Then proceeded to jump and let out a noise of surprise.
Despite having been watching them, you jumped as well and took a step back.
"S-sorry." he stammered as he blushed slightly. "I didn't see you there."
You blushed a little as well, hoping he didn't realize that you had been watching him. "It's okay."
He stepped closer to you and held out his hand. "I'm Junhong."
You smiled and shook his hand, introducing yourself. When you went to pull back though, he didn't release your grip. Instead he covered your hand with his other hand and frowned.
"Your cold." he stated.
"Uh... yeah." you mumbled, embarrassed.
Then you watched as he lifted your hand to his mouth and he breathed warm air on to it before rubbing your hand. "What are you doing out here anyways?"
"Just... walking." you said as you blushed once more. Then turning bright red as he smiled and chuckled.
"Next time you sneak out of your house during winter, make sure you bring some gloves."
Your face fell as you gaped at him and he laughed at you. Then you quickly pulled your hand away. "I should go." you said before turning away and hurrying down the sidewalk.
"Wait!" he exclaimed and hurried after you. He moved in front of you to block your path. "I was just teasing. I snuck out too."
You raised your eyebrows at him in both surprise and suspicion.
"Honest." he assured you. "I'm sorry."
You bit your lip and contemplated his sincere expression for a moment before nodding. "Okay."
Then he smiled brightly and let out a breath. "Great. Can I walk with you?"
"Sure." you said, smiling as well.

The two of you slowly walked down the sidewalk and you couldn't help but steal little glances at him. Which is how you knew he was doing the same thing and you felt a little flutter in your chest.
"So." you said, breaking the silence. "Why did you sneak out?"
"To see the stars." he answered and looked up at the sky.
You looked up as well and feeling a little confused. "You can always look out a window." you teased.
He shook his head and showed a little half-smile. "Not the same. You're barely seeing them then. There's just something about being outside during the night and looking directly up at them. It's like your closer and seeing them much clearer."
You smiled as his words repeated in your head and then you gasped when you saw a shooting star. You both stopped walking and he chuckled.
"The Geminid meteor shower." he told you. "Make a wish."
This time you laughed at him. "No way. That never works."
"You shouldn't say that." he quietly uttered and you looked at him curiously because of the tone of his voice. He was still looking up at the stars but you felt his fingers brush your hand again. Before curling his fingers loosely around yours. "Because sometimes they come true." Then he finally looked at you with a small, shy smile. "Is this okay?"
You stood there in shock for a moment before shyly returning his smile. A huge grin formed on his face as he turned to face you.
"See." he stated. "Wishes do come true." Then he tightened his hand around yours. "Let me walk you home now though. Your hands are freezing."
You giggled and conceded with a nod as you both started walking again, holding hands. When you were close to your house, you stopped to say your goodbyes.
"When can I see you again?" you asked.
Just then another shooting star flew across the sky and you both looked up to see it
He got a mischievous smile on his face. "There meteor shower peaks in a few days. Would be nice seeing it with you."
"Oh so you want me to sneak out again and encouraging me to be a delinquent?" you teased.
"If it means I get to see you." he shrugged.
You laughed and shook your head. "All right, fine."
"And wish number 2 comes true."
You gave him a slight push as you blushed.
"I'll even bring an extra pair of gloves for you since I have a feeling you'd forget."
You pushed him again, causing him to laugh. Then you exchanged numbers and waved before hurrying home. Even as you slipped in the window and worked on putting the screen back in to place, the only thing you could think about was seeing Junhong again. After a little bit though, you frowned. The screen wasn't going in place right. You kept taking it out and trying to put it back in but it just wasn't working.
Frustrated and nervous that someone would wake up to see you, you forced the screen in to place. Then you stared in horror as the spring on the screen that helps hold it in place broke.
You stood there for a moment, gaping at the screen when you felt your phone vibrate. You checked to see a text message from Junhong.
"Did you make it inside okay?"
You bit back a groan. "Kind of."
"What? You didn't get caught did you?"
"Not yet. I broke the screen trying to put it back in."
"Wow. You're a dork."

Your mouth dropped open and you forced a laugh back down your throat. "SHUT UP!"
"Lol! It's okay. You're my dork."