Final

Pleasant Surprises

I was late to school, again. How many days - I meant weeks - had it been since I overslept for school every other day? But I couldn’t help it ; getting home from my last job of the day at one in the morning and going to sleep two hours later after finishing homework really did not warrant for the possibility of waking up at six for school every day. I was already fifty minutes late to my first class, so I ran. I sprinted like there was no tomorrow from my run-down house to the bus stop, and - thank goodness - there was already a bus waiting. “Wait, ajusshi!” I called out to the bus driver as I hurried onto the bus, scanned my bus pass, and took a seat. Ten minutes later, the bus stopped a block from my school. I hurriedly shuffled out the bus and darted towards the school.

But before I was able to safely make it to the classroom, I saw someone running perpendicular to my course. The two of us made eye contact and I immediately blushed upon recognition of the particular male. We acknowledged our situation, yet neither of us were able to stop in time.

“Ah!” I shrieked as he cursed under his breath.

“! Are you okay? I’m so sorry!” His one palm rested against my back and his other wrapped around my arm, preventing me from crashing into the concrete.

“Y-yeah, sorry for bumping into you,” I stammered and straightened up. Then, I remembered that I had somewhere to be at the particular moment. I harshly grabbed his wrist and examined the hands on his black watch. “Crap, I’m so late,” I bit my lip anxiously before running off. “Sorry!”

--------

"Welcome to Hurricane Coffee Shop!" I enthusiastically greeted the customers on my fifth day of work. Although I was beyond exhausted, because I came directly to work from school, I still had to put up a fake facade for the customers if I had any intention of keeping my job. Ever since last year, my dad's job hasn't been able to pay for all of the household expenses, so I began taking on various part time jobs. Of course, the jobs along with loads of school work wore me out, but it all came with a sense of satisfaction as I was able to help my father keep my family from falling into poverty. As the night went on, I began working routinely like a zombie: greet customers, take their order, charge them, turn around to the espresso machine, wrap pastries. I didn't particularly enjoy this commonplace job, but what else could I do? "Good eve-" I stared blankly at the flawless face before me. It's him... "G-good evening, sir," I managed to force out my lips before I lost my mind completely. He, in turn, greeted me with a heart-stopping smile.

"Hi, it's not too late to order, is it?" he asked in his sultry voice and added a harmonious chuckle afterwards.

"Oh, um, no, not at all," I tried my best to flash a camera-worthy smile, which I hope worked. "What would you like, sir?" I continued routinely.

"A medium cappuccino with mocha and a strawberry cheesecake, please," he stated while looking intently at the menu.

"Sure, that will be six, seventy eight." He fixed his gaze directly at me before grinning slightly and pulling out his wallet. I found myself getting lost in his chocolate orbs. I played back what happened this morning in my mind. I must not be falling for hi-

"Uh, here's the money," he held out his perfectly carved hand. His teasing grin snapped me out of my trance and brought me back to reality.  

"Oh, uh, yes. Thank you, and here's your change. Your order will be ready right away, sir," I almost stuttered as my face flushed crimson. Why must I be so embarrassing? I immediately turned to the espresso machine and fumbled with its suddenly foreign mechanics. Suddenly, I heard a soothing sound that was almost that from a wind chime. Wait...did I just hear him chuckle? The attachment finally snapped onto the machine and fragrant coffee flowed out the nozzle and into the cup. I sighed in relief and proceeded to my next task. With my cheeks bearing an even darker shade of pink, I turned to pack his slice of cheesecake. "Here's your order, sir," I handed him the paper bag and coffee cup marked with the shop's logo.

"Thank you," he flashed a perfect smile as he reached for the items in my hand. For a lingering moment, his fingers brushed past mine and sent sparks down my spine and fireworks into my stomach. As he turned to leave, I suddenly felt my face fall. Oh Xiuwen! Wake up! Did you expect your little crush to return your feelings? Then, suddenly, he turned back to face me right before he reached the glass doors. Maybe my fantasy was coming true? No! Stop fantasizing things! He slowly and graciously paced towards me. I was only now that I marveled over his outfit. His loose, casual gray sweater fell perfectly around his built frame, his black jeans outlined his perfect legs, and his beanie - oh, that beanie - framed his beautiful face and tousled brown hair. "Hey," he reached where I was standing, behind the counter, "can I actually have another slice of cheesecake? New York, please."

"Uh, yeah, sure," I awkwardly answered while I mentally scolded myself for having those ridiculous thoughts. "That would be three, ninety-four," I timidly delivered while handing him the bag. He plainly handed me the money and I hesitantly accepted it with my gaze solely on his hand and avoiding his gaze.

"It's not for me," I heard his sultry voice deliver and I looked up in confusion. His smile was full of wit and slight embarrassment.

“Huh?” Why was he telling me that suddenly?

"I know my friend would steal the cheesecake from me the minute he even smells it so I figured I'd buy another piece," he simply explained with a generous chortle.

"Oh." Oh? Oh? Really Xiuwen? That's all you can come up with? I continued to scold myself while I handed him back his change. "Here's your change. Have a nice evening, sir."

"You know, you shouldn’t call me sir."

"Huh?" It wasn’t a ‘huh’ of confusion or mishearing. I heard his statement, alright. But what do I respond with? ‘Oh sure, I’ll call you Youngjae, my love’? Hell no. But I was pretty darn sure that that’s what I would had actually said if I responded with anything else.

"Since we're classmates after all," he rubbed the back of his neck.

"I-" I dug back into my memory. Right, before I started drooling over this perfect man at work, I was ogling over his flawless features in class. But I was no one - I barely spoke in class and slept most of the time. How did he even notice me? Well, I did fall into his arms quite literally this morning.

"Xiuwen-ssi, did you perhaps forget that I have been in your class for the past three years? And that we bumped into each other this morning? I'm hurt," he placed his free hand over his chest and feigned hurt. I blushed.

Of course not! How could I when I've liked you for all three of those years? But of course I couldn't tell him that. That was simply too much information. Way too much. "Um, n-no, o-of course n-not."

"Well, then, what's my name, huh?" he taunted. Was he teasing me?!

"Yoo Youngjae," I said, barely audible to even my own ears.

"Great job!" he placed his cheesecakes and cappuccino on the counter to put his hands together to clap jokingly. I couldn't even imagine the look on my face at this point. "So call me that from now on." All seriousness returned to his face as he gazed at me intently.

"Y-Youngjae-ssi."

"Aye, what's with the formality! Youngjae. Young-jae," he pronounced, causing me to look down in shame and embarrassment.

"Youngaje," I shyly whispered. I still didn’t dare meet his eyes.

"Then I guess I shouldn't be a hypocrite and call you Xiuwen instead." Did he just wink at me? Oh my god, my insides were boiling at this point in time. "I have to get back before Daehyun kills me. I'll see you tomorrow then, Xiuwen!" he cheerfully waved and proceeded to walk towards the door. “And we should actually hang out sometime instead of just falling into each other’s arms!” he jokingly teased as he opened the door. My eyes widened in surprise at his statement, but my heart fluttered in pleasant joy.

"Bye, s-Youngjae!" Youngjae. It felt nice to have those words flow out of my mouth. Wait, tomorrow - there's no school tomorrow. So did that mean that he was going to come visit me again? Suddenly, my boring job just got much more interesting.

------------------------

Hehe, FLUFFFFFFF

But I actually wrote this a long time ago for my friend, and I finally decided to post it. xD

Thanks for reading my cheesiness!

And now, Youngjae:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U_bT6gwk-n0