An Acquainted Guy

Acquainted Guy (아는 남자)

I watched the doors of my cafe open and in stepped a tall man with two other males right behind him. It was easy to tell who stood out the most among the trio, given that the other two fell short in height when they stood beside him at the counter. 

"Welcome." I sent them a greeting and directed them to the nearest table, handing them the cafe menu and left to finish wiping the cups.

Junjin browsed through the menu while Minwoo and Dongwan shared the other. "So, what's the recommendation here?" the taller male asked.

"I don't know." came the reply from Dongwan.

"You're the one who suggested this place, Wannie." the other man stated, flipping the page and scanned the items again.

I looked up and saw a hand waving in my direction, knowing that it must be time for their orders. I grabbed my notepad and pen from my pocket and proceeded towards the table. "What would you like to have?"

"We'll get a mocha frappuccino, two cafe latte and a tiramisu." the fair-skinned male said to me.

I repeated their orders and headed off to prepare the food, glancing around the cafe to see if there were any more wandering hands in the air. It wasn't a hand that caught my attention however, rather, it came from the man seated at the table whom I just walked past. His name was Eric, was it? I wasn't too sure, but he and his 'friend' had dropped by the cafe a few times and I've heard them mention each others' name, given that noise traveled rather loudly in my quiet cafe. I made my way to their table and got their orders before going back to the counter to prepare for both tables.

Junjin rolled his eyes as he watched the two lovebirds in front of him, his presence almost invisible to them. He wondered to himself what was his purpose for being here, if the couple had called him out simply to watch them flirt endlessly with each other. "Ahem." the taller man cleared his throat, an attempt to gain the attention of his friends.

"Yes Jinnie?"

The man rolled his eyes in frustration, "If your intention of calling me here is to watch you guys make out, excuse me if I take my leave right now."

"You're no fun Jinnie!" Minwoo said with a pout, "We wanted some company for today and since you're probably bumming around at home, we thought it'd be good to call you along. Besides, isn't the cafe owner kinda hot?"

Junjin turned and glanced at the owner who was busy preparing the cups of coffee, then turned back to face his friends. "You know he's not my type of guy."

Dongwan let out a laugh, "Oh, then what is?"

I placed the cups of drinks on the tray and made my way towards the trio's table, it seemed like I was interrupting their conversation because the taller male stared at me for a moment before saying his thanks. I gave an apologetic bow and proceeded to Eric's table, his order of two chicken sandwich in hand.

"Like I said, I don't know. I won't know it until I meet the right person." Junjin continued, his eyes looking around the cafe and suddenly fixated in a particular direction.

He wanted to take his words that he just said right back, because sitting right across their table was a man who's high cheekbone and big eyes caught his attention. Junjin wanted to stare longer, but it was getting a little too suspicious to his friends. Besides, the man had company, a good-looking one at that. 

I watched the interaction between the men from time to time, realising that the two who sat across the taller man were more than just friends. It was strange though, because the way they behaved differed from how Eric and his partner did. My intuition told me that Eric and his friend had a special relationship, but I could tell that it wasn't love, even if they looked like they were.

It was weird that my attention seemed to centre around the trio and the couple, but I figured it was probably because they were the only all-male tables in my cafe. A few moments later, a lady stood up from her seat and came forward to make her payment.

Minwoo and Dongwan were too caught up in their conversation to realise that their friend had been glancing in the other direction from time to time. Junjin was now thankful for them to invite here to this cafe, but his happiness was only short-lived. He watched as the man laughed to the jokes that came from his handsome companion, a feeling of bitterness engulfing him. 

But Junjin knew that he wasn't someone who gave up easily. Even if he knew that the man probably wouldn't notice him, he wouldn't back down. He sipped from his cup and grinned to himself, knowing that his feelings could only be kept within his heart. Luck was probably on his side however, when Minwoo received a call from his company and said that there was an emergency. Dongwan offered to send his boyfriend back, leaving Junjin alone after paying the bill.

I watched as Eric stood up to make his payment, his wallet ready in hand. I tapped against the register and received the cash from him, sending my smile as I returned the change. What was I doing? I had to ask myself. Eric already had someone he cherished, and that very person was sitting right in front of my counter.

"Let's go, Andy." I heard him say.

Ahhh, so his name was Andy. It had a nice ring to it, since Eric's name was foreign too. I went to their table and picked up the empty plates, wiping the table as I did so. 

"Excuse me." I heard a voice call me from behind. I turned around and met face to face with the fair-skinned male whose friends just left moments ago.

"Yes?" 

I felt a quiver in his voice as he asked me the next question. "The pair that just left... Are they regular customers?"

So this was where it was headed. I couldn't help but wonder which of the two caught the attention of this tall man. "You could say that. They drop by two or three times a week. I'm guessing they work around here." I answered him.

Junjin's eyes lit up when he heard the reply. He flashed a smile at the owner and left the cafe.

For the next few weeks that followed, Junjin visited the cafe as often as he could, just to see if he was lucky enough to spot the pair sitting in the cafe. He wanted to laugh at his stupidity, because he knew that it was wrong of him to like someone who already had another man. He didn't even know the name of the person who stole his heart, but Junjin was more than just a half-hearted man.

The times when the paired were in the cafe, he observed them closely, wondering how far their relationship probably went. Hopefully, just hopefully, he would get to meet the eyes of the man.

I placed the coffee on his table and stared at the direction he was looking at. It was obvious who he liked, because from the angle he was sitting, Eric's back faced him. I felt a sense of relief overcome me when I realised that fact; this man was probably my comrade.

"His name is Andy, in case you're wondering." I told him in a bare audible voice.

Junjin's eye went wide in surprise, almost like a burglar caught red-handed. "I wasn't real-"

"It's alright. I know." I said with a laugh and sent him a wink.

The fair-skinned male went home that day feeling all bubbly inside, like he had struck lottery. He mentally thanked the owner of the cafe and wondered why was he helping him. It wasn't as if he didn't know about the pair, but by letting him know Andy's name could only mean that the owner had special reasons as well. Either case, all was good. For weeks, the thoughts that appeared every night in his head were filled with images of Andy and his smile. He noticed though, that recently, the male seemed to be putting up a front. Was his partner causing all this?

Junjin's next trip to the cafe was different. The man could almost engrave that moment in his heart and soul when his eyes finally met with Andy's. It was by chance that he happened to look in his direction. Junjin stared for a moment and gave a polite nod to the man who sat across him.

"Andy? Are you listening?" Eric said to his partner.

"Yes yes, I am." the younger male answered in a monotonous tone. 

Eric picked his cup in frustration. "You know, it's so dull recently."

The younger male knew exactly what Eric was referring to. He had to agree though, and as much as he liked Eric, he couldn't see a future with this man. Andy also noticed the stares he had been getting from the man who sat across their table; he was always there whenever Eric and him were in this cafe. He didn't want to overthink things, but after his eyes met with his a moment ago, he knew what was going on.

"Can't help it. We're all so busy with work." Andy replied, drinking his own coffee.

I watched the conversations between Eric and Andy getting lesser and lesser, sometimes even reducing to just one word replies. I didn't know whether to feel sad for them or to be happy that my chance has finally approached. It was wrong of me to think likewise, but I couldn't help it. It's okay if people judge me, if it meant that you would finally look at me, not just as the owner of this cafe.

My eyes fell towards the tall man who sat there looking indifferent, or at least tried to be. He had a stupid grin stuck on his face, and it made me laugh. Watching this man who now became a regular customer was interesting. I wanted to see how he reacted to the fluctuating situation between the pair.

Junjin smiled to himself the whole time he was at home that night. He wanted to believe in the moment and wished that time stopped in the cafe, even when he was lying in bed or in the shower, the thoughts of Andy were so clear. It sounded creepy and completely insane, but Junjin didn't care if Andy had a boyfriend.

Weeks passed and visits from both Junjin and the couple continued. I stared at Eric and Andy from time to time, feeling uneasy about the gradual silence that befell as time passed. I had a feeling that something was about to happen, I just didn't know when. The eyes of Andy grew sorrowful each time I saw him. It wasn't that Eric didn't speak to him, but his words didn't seem to hold any meaning.

Andy looked at Eric who was staring at his phone, the device completely capturing his attention. The younger male gazed around the cafe and saw Junjin looking out of the window. As if he felt the stare coming from the younger male, Junjin turned around and met his eyes with Andy's.

The moment seemed like eternity; a mutual thought filled the minds of both men.

"He doesn't suit you/me."

Andy wasn't sure what possessed him at that moment, because the next thing he did seemed unimaginable to him.

I looked up in surprise from the sound of the screech that came from the chair rubbing against the polished floors. Partially thankful that the cafe was rather empty at the time, I glanced in the direction of the noise, only to see Andy standing up from his place with a pokerface. Eric looked up in bewilderment, unsure of what was happening. 

Junjin looked up at the man who had just disrupted the peace in the cafe, slightly shocked by the unexpected action that came from Andy. He leaned closer to have a better idea of what was going on, not caring that he was being too obvious as an onlooker.

"Hey Eric, I don't think I can do this anymore." Andy said, his tone soft but firm, his fist clenched tightly and his eyes staring intensely at Eric.

Eric processed the sentence in his head for a moment, then opened his mouth to say something.

Junjin couldn't tell what was going from the distance he had between himself and their table, but the next thing he found himself doing was throwing some bills on the table and went chasing after Andy who ran out of the cafe.

My hands were holding on to a cup that I had just washed, biting my lips in silence as I watched the scene happen before me. The image of Andy running out of the cafe and the man chasing after him still etched in my memory. I turned to look at Eric who appeared unfazed, as if he had expected it to happen. Having a fresh cup of coffee in hand, I quietly approached him.

"Eric-ssi?" I called, placing the coffee on his table.

He looked at me with curious eyes, but it was that of those that didn't need pity. "I'm sorry for the commotion."

"No worries. There's nobody left anyway." I replied, "Are you alright?"

Eric nodded and picked up the coffee from the table. "I had expected it anyway."

"How so?"

"We weren't really in love anyway." he answered, letting the warm liquid flow down his throat. I watched as vehicles and people passed by the street outside the cafe, I wondered what happened to the man and Andy.

For one, I hope they were no longer just acquainted with each other.


But I don’t care, I don’t care
I won’t back down because of that guy next to you
Only you, just like this, don’t let me go
Baby don’t let me go, I won’t give you up

The moment I saw you, I fell for you
The moment I ran into you at the cafe, I went blank

I couldn’t tell my friends, I didn’t tell them
That she already has a man

There’s another guy next to you, someone who isn’t me
You will probably tell him you love him
I close my eyes, I believe in the moment, I make a wish, this night is long
But you look elsewhere – when I looked at you, you have already taken me from myself
The owner of my heart is you but I know I shouldn’t do this

But I don’t care, I don’t care
I won’t back down because of that guy next to you
Only you, just like this, don’t let me go
Baby don’t let me go, I won’t give you up

Even when I’m in bed, even when I shower, thoughts of you are still so clear
It’s okay if they curse at me, if I can have you, if I can steal you, I can do anything

Yes I know, I may seem like a bad guy
I know that I’ll be punished for my actions but
Look back at me, let go of his hand, hurry and leave him
Yes, I’m crazy, I’m completely insane
I know that you can feel the same way as I do
The place where you need to be is right next to me
Even though you got a boyfriend I don’t care

You are shaken up by me too, your eyes tell me, oh lady
I can’t stop this anymore, I can’t go on without you
I don’t wanna cry

I don’t wanna cry, I really want you
I know it’s a sin, I know I shouldn’t do this
Without you

Without you, can’t let you go, baby can’t let you go
I want to have your heart now

 

I don’t wanna see you with another man
I don’t want to just watch over you anymore
I want you more and more
I won’t hesitate anymore, let me take your hand
Baby be my girlfriend (I want you)
Let me be your new man (I need you)
He doesn’t suit you
You don’t really love him either


But I don’t care 나 신경쓰지 않을래
니 옆에 그 때문에 물러서지 않을게
Only you 이대로 Don’t let me go
Baby don’t let me go 너를 포기 하지 않을래

본 순간 반해버렸지
카페에 있는 널 마주친 순간 멍해졌지

내 친구들에게 말할 수 없었지, 말 못했지
그녀는 남자가 있단 걸

니 곁에 딴 남자가 있어 나 아닌 다른, 사랑한다 말 하겠지 그 누군가를
두 눈을 감어, 순간을 믿어, 소원을 빌어, 이 밤은 길어
넌 딴 데를 봐 내가 널 볼 때 조차도 넌 이미 내 맘 속에서 날 가졌지
내 맘 속에 주인은 uh 그건 바로 너, 이러면 안 되는 걸

But I don’t care 나 신경쓰지 않을래
니 옆에 그 때문에 물러서지 않을게 only you

이대로 Don’t let me go
Baby don’t let me go 너를 포기 하지 않을래

침대에 누워있어도 샤워를 해봐도 자꾸 니가 눈에 선명해
욕해도 괜찮아 가질 수 있다면 뺏는다면 뭐라도 난 하고 싶어

Yes I know 내가 나쁜놈처럼 보일 것 같아도
벌 받을 짓이라는 것도 잘 알면서도
내게로 돌아봐줘 그 사람 손 좀 놔줘 어서 빨리 떠나줘
그래 나 미쳤어 완전히 돌아버렸어
나와 같은 감정을 느낄 수 있다는 걸 알고있어
네가 있어야 할 자리는 바로 내 옆에
Even though you got a boyfriend I don’t care

너도 내게 흔들렸지 눈빛이 말을 하고 있지 oh lady
더는 멈출 수 없어 너 없인 정말 안되겠어
I don’t wanna cry

I don’t wanna cry 니가 너무 욕심이나
죄라는 것도 알아 못할 짓인걸 알아 Without you

너 없인 Can’t let you go Baby can’t let you go
너의 마음 이젠 가질래

I don’t wanna see you with another man
가만히 지켜보기만 그만 할래
가면 갈수록 널 원하는데
더는 망설이지 않을게 Let me take your hand
Baby be my girlfriend (I want you)
Let me be your new man (I need you)
그 남잔 너와 어울리지 않아

너도 진심으로 그를 사랑하진 않아


HELLO! 

Yes, this marks the end of my Jindy one-shot. I kinda loved my potrayal of Ricsyung, especially how Hyesung appears here. I thought writing a Jindy fic in Hyesung's POV would be something interesting! xD I'm sorry for the lack of Woodong, because my OTPs are mainly Ricsyung and Jindy. Still, I've tried my best to incoperate them ><

My love for cafes never seem to end, but of course, the reason why the setting was in a cafe partly came from the lyrics of the song. Well, you know, I initially thought my reference to the song would just be for Jindy, but somehow through the course of writing, Ricsyung seemed to pick up the vibes as well. Hahahaha! 

TADA! This one-shot is officially over and done, though I have a strange feeling that this could be expanded into a series by itself. I don't know, what do you guys think? xD /hinthint/

 

Well then, I shall see you guys in my other works! Don't forget to comment and upvote this fic if you enjoyed it!

For new readers, do check out my other works if you haven't! ^^

Tie (In progress)

Cafe (Complete)

Winter Poetry (Complete)

 

cheers,
cladiot