one

The Blackbird's Crown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zeWwQdCtKM

The flat was completely quiet this afternoon.

Alfred had been awake since ten A.M. His daily routine was to wake up before Jinyoung, get breakfast ready, clean up the house, go out to the farmers Market and buy some fresh organic produce (because Jinyoung only eats produce that is organic), walk around the block and enjoy the scenery until dusk then return home and prepare dinner, then finishing the day off with doing laundry. That usually takes out Alfred’s whole day, but today when Alfred returned home, there was still no a sight of Jinyoung.

The breakfast that Alfred had made this morning was still on the table—untouched. It was an English muffin with ham and eggs. It had turned cold, and the smell of old egg was beginning to rot the air.

Alfred thought this was strange. That boy must still be asleep. Sighing, Alfred grabbed a pot and wooden spoon from the cabinet. He quietly tip toed his way to Jinyoung’s room and placed his ear on the door. Silence. Just as he expected.

1.... 2…. 3…

Alfred burst through the door and jumped right into the room. He started banging the pot with the spoon loudly. The ruckus was loud and clear and it woke Jinyoung out of his sleep. Jinyoung’s body flew right off the bed and he landed on the floor.

“What the hell,” Jinyoung groaned and covered his ears with his hand. The ruckus echoed in his ears despite that, and it felt like the sounds were piercing through him like arrows. The banging was too loud. He lifted his head up and glanced sideways at the intruder in his room. “Hyung… Can’t you see I’m trying to sleep?”

Alfred didn’t hear him at all. He was having way too much fun banging the objects together. Jinyoung groaned even more. He pushed himself off the floor and grabbed the pot and spoon out of his Nanny’s hand. “HYUNG! I’M SLEEPING. LET ME SLEEP.”

“Oops,” Alfred smiled sheepishly. He took back the kitchen ware. “I’m sorry, I guess I got to into the whole ‘waking-you-up’ ceremony.”

“If it was a ceremony… it’s the worst ceremony ever,” mumbled Jinyoung. His voice was deep and he cleared it to rid the mucus that had been stuck in his throat from the long sleep. He yawned loudly and was about to scramble back to bed when Alfred pinched his ear.

“Where do you think you are going? You have slept all day today. It's almost evening. Tomorrow is Monday, and I’m betting fifty bucks that you have yet to start any of your final projects.”

“Alfred man…”

“Only at time’s like these you call me Alfred, instead of Hyung,” Alfred rolled his eyes. “Judging from last night, I’m sure you had the time of your life that will last you the energy you need for the whole week.” His eyes went up and down as they scrutinized a very unkempt Jinyoung.

A frown came upon Jinyoung’s heart shaped lips. “If I finish my Law assignment by tonight, do you think—“

“Don’t even think about it.”

Jinyoung’s frown deepened. “But Christmas is coming!”

“So what? So are your exams. CEO Madam Hyosung is going to be very upset with me if your report card comes home and all you have are ‘needs improvement’ again,” Alfred sighs. “You’re a smart boy, Jinyoung. Use your brain sometimes.”

“I use it all the time,” Jinyoung countered. “I—”

Alfred shook his head dismissively. “I don’t want to hear it. Go shower, wash your face, especially on the corner of your lips, I think you have leftover ketchup in the corner there from last night…” Alfred pointed with his index finger where the red spot was on Jinyoung’s lips. “When you’re done, come eat dinner and I’ll help you on your Law, alright?”

Alfred flashed Jinyoung a warm smile before leaving the room. He shut the door gently. Jinyoung let out a sigh and plopped down on his bed, his eyes staring blankly at his room. It was so big, and blue, and empty. His clothes were strewn all over the floor from the night before. He couldn’t quite remember the night, but it was definitely as fun as Alfred had depicted it to be.

His eyes roamed around the room for a bit before it fell upon his night stand. On it was a frame with his older sister picture in it. It was her graduation photo a few years back. She wasn’t smiling. She never really smiled, but that’s what was made Jung Hyosung so charming.

He missed his older sister a lot. In the five years since he has moved to London, his older sister had never once emailed him or called him. He doesn’t hate her for that. Jinyoung know’s how busy she must be… of course it only makes sense: after graduating university, and gaining her diploma for both finance Business and Economics, and father’s sudden death, the crown was to be given to Hyosung. She worked hard for it, and Jinyoung knew she loved her work more than anything else in the world.

His mother was the only one, who called, but Jinyoung wasn’t exactly on the best of terms with his mother, so most days, her phone calls were left unanswered.

“I have to make Hyosung proud,” Jinyoung told himself. He looked at his older sister’s picture once more before getting up and nodding in determination. “Don’t worry sis, I’ll make you proud. No more shenanigans!”