Desideratum

Desideratum

          Everything that lives requires substance of some sort. Nutrients, sunlight, water, sleep you name it and some organism needs it. But not every thing has the same requisites as others to continue existing and such was Jongin's condition.

 

          Unlike any other person he didn't need food or water to live. No Jongin consumed something of a considerably different nature; he sustained on the souls of humans. Although not exactly in the way you are thinking.

 

          While yes there are those who do go around stealing the souls from the living Jongin was not of that breed. Instead his diet consisted of the remnants of soul left behind, particularly in art.

 

          You see when someone puts enough passion into the things they make they quite literally put their heart and soul into it, not much, but more than enough to fill a stomach. And so rather than dining on bread and whine Jongin ate Monet and Degas.

 

          And not just in the metaphorical way of eating but quite literally eating the works of arts themselves.

 

          For when that spirit is taken away from a painting, a sculpture or what have you, the enchanting nature of the thing itself is forever gone. Once that bit of soul is taken from a work of art it can no longer be art. Which is why he physically consumed whatever art he took the soul from. He felt it is better to have something be lost forever and remembered fondly than forever be present but never truly cherished.

 

          Along with personally disposing of art Jongin also never let himself get to know the artists of whatever he ate. While he was happy with surviving on what could be deemed the scraps of a soul there was always the temptation to stop living off of scraps and just go straight to the source. And Jongin hated to reap a soul from a human. It was always such an emotional affair that left him feeling the villain of a story.

 

          Up until now he'd kept to his rules to always destroy what he devoured and to keep a healthy distance from the artists behind his food. That is until he met the man who wrote as though he wielded a paint brush and whose eyes seemed to hold the secrets of the universe locked within. The same secrets which he transcribed onto paper with hands that moved with more beauty than any sculptor could imitate.

 

          Do Kyunsoo was the definition of staving underpaid writer. But what he wrote was the most delicious art that Jongin had ever tasted; and it had been entirely by accident that Jongin had met him.

 

          It had been a bleak day in November that was so cold it even made Jongin's bones feel chilled when they'd met. Jongin had ducked into a coffee shop to try and warm up a bit with some coffee -just because he didn't need normal food for sustenance didn't mean he didn't enjoy eating it for fun- or maybe hot chocolate. While coffee was his usual hot beverage of choice there was an appeal to drinking coco while watching the snow outside.

 

          Ultimately deciding upon hot chocolate Jongin made to go lurk in next to a window when he had a moment of unfortunate clumsiness. Bumping into a table the drink in his hand fell and exploded on the same table he'd bumped into. A table that had a computer on it with a persons hands on the keyboard.

 

          Jongin felt the man had a right to scream the way he did given the hot chocolate exploded all over his hands and said computer.

 

          In the blink of an eye he'd grabbed a giant handful of napkins and dabbed the computer before grabbing the man and dragging him to the bathroom to run cold water over his hands. He was having none of this though and vehemently tried to escape Jongin's grasp while growling, “Let go of me I need to save my computer first!”

 

          Jongin didn't let him go even after a hard elbow to the ribs until the man's hands had been run under cool water for at least a minute. The whole coffee shop probably thought they were insane given normal people don't force others to cool their burns like they should. Any bit of sanity that did exist within what was happening was lost when the moment Jongin let go of him and he raced back to his computer, then started crying because he couldn't get it to do anything.

 

          Once Jongin managed to calm the man down, before they got thrown out of the coffee shop, he explained that his chapters that were due to his editor in a week were on there. And naturally he was terrified that he'd have to rewrite almost 30,000 words in seven days.

 

          Seeing as Jongin was the one to blame for his computer not working he set about making it up to him. He pulled out his phone and dialed a his friend Suho's number.

 

          “Hey Suho I broke someones computer and since you owe me a favour for that thing I'm not supposed to mention I'll be bringing it in within the hour. Sound good?”

 

          As he flipped his phone shut the man looked up at him with wide slightly wary eyes. “Thanks but you don't technically have to it was an accident after all.”

 

          Jongin shrugged and responded nonchalantly, “I know I don't have to but it is sorta close Christmas isn't it? And aren't we supposed to try and do good things to get on Santa's nice list? Either way it is the right thing to do.”

 

          His words inspired a small smile from other man as well as a held out a rather beautiful hand.

 

          “Hello I'm Do Kyungsoo, where are we going to be taking my computer?”

 

          Jongin's heart skipped a beat because he knew that name. The man sitting down in front of him with his hand held out was his latest source of food. Shocked it took him a moment to remember to shake Kyungsoo's hand and another moment to pull up a facade to hide his turbulent emotions. “Kim Jongin, and what do you mean we? Just give me you address and I'll have it shipped back to you once it is fixed.”

 

          Right now all Jongin wanted to do was get the writers computer fixed and then preferably never see him again. Because in truth he wanted to stay around Kyungsoo and learn the man whose soul quenched his hunger like no others ever had. But that was too dangerous, if he got to know him and started to like him it would just make it even more tragic when he gave into his hunger. Which he would do, Jongin always did.

 

          Oblivious to the conflict happening in Jongin's mind Kyungsoo chuckled in a snarky manner, “While I am thankful for your kindness I wouldn't even trust my mother with my computer so I most definitely am not gonna trust you with it.”

 

          Against his will Jongin chuckled and gave into Kyungsoo knowing that he wouldn't be able to win this fight.

 

          That was over a month ago and since then Kyungsoo had without even trying weaseled his way into his life, and into his heart. Between Jongin lusting for his soul and the way Kyungsoo would smile softly at his jokes and never watch a movie without eating nachos he was defenseless against not loving him. But even though he was unable to resist loving him Jongin refused to let things get futher than close friendship. He knew that once that line was crossed it was as good as signing Kyungsoo's death certificate; because when someone like him made contact with a humans lips he'd absorb their soul.

 

          So on the precipice of being friends and being more than friends they stood. And it was a comfortable enough place for Jongin because it was a bit like having your cake and eating it too. Until that is Kyungsoo grew tired of the dance that would occur after what were essentially dates where he would lean in for the kiss and Jongin would dodge the advance.

 

          After a fun night of food, drinking games, and pool Kyungsoo had enough of Jongin's evasiveness and cornered him on their way home from the bar.

 

          “Do you want to kiss me or not?” he asked exhaling while clouds his nose and lips extra pink from the cold.

 

          Jongin took a step back trying to figure out a way out of this while still keeping Kyungsoo as a friend. Maybe he could slip on the ice and break his leg. No that wouldn't work, when his leg got stuck in cast he wouldn't be able to run from Kyungsoo anymore.

 

          Nervously he stuttered, “W-Well it isn't that simple.”

 

          Kyungsoo pressed on without wavering. “What does that even mean? Are you dating someone?

 

          “No I'm not but-”

 

          “But what? This is a basic yes or no question.”

 

          His face proclaimed his stubbornness on the matter to the world with is drawn in eyebrows and the subtle frowned that lined his mouth, and damned it if that didn't make him even more appealing to Jongin. Eyes fluttering shut he whispered yes, because it was the truth and Kyungsoo deserved that. But when Kyungsoo's face rapidly closed the distance with his own Jongin's hands went up to stop him.

 

          Fingers resting against his jaw, his chest ached something fierce as he croaked out, “But I can't. I just can't Kyungsoo.”

 

          He heard and felt Kyungsoo take a step away from him and prepared for him to leave, it was what was best for both of them.

 

          Seconds passed and Jongin thought he'd left only to nearly get a heart attack when Kyungsoo suddenly was wrapped around him with his soft slightly chapped lips pressed against his own.

 

          Jongin's eyes opened wide with shock before a small hum of contentment rose up in his throat and he melted into Kyungsoo. Powerless against resisting what was happening in any way shape or form Jongin felt tears gather in his eyes as he waited to taste his beautiful, delicious, soul. Only he didn't, and when they parted for breath briefly before going in for a second round it didn't happen either.

 

          When the passion died down and they stood there, Kyungsoo's arms wrapped around his neck and Jongin's arms around his waist, gulping too cold air Jongin had to wonder if this was some sort of dream. Or maybe he'd died and this was what heaven was like. Whatever the cause Jongin had never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth and leaned forward to softly caress his loves lips once more.

 

          “You're something else Kyungsoo,” he rasped quietly against him and got heartfelt laughter in return.

 

          He stepped away from Jongin and pulled him along side him as they resumed walking. “I feel the same way about you.”

 

          Smiling a bit foolishly at that proclamation he tugged Kyungsoo a bit closer to his side. Later he would question what in the hell was going on, what Kyungsoo was to resist having his soul from him while still being able to imbue so much of it into his writing. But for now that didn't matter because there were more important things to concentrate on. Like getting Kyungsoo back to his house and warming him up the old fashioned way.

 

          “Lets go home,” he whispered into Kyungsoo's ear smirking when he nodded eagerly in response.

 

A/N: Merry Christmas part 2 Guppy! Sorry for any lingering typos. I know parts of this story are a bit vague but I like vague, at least when I'm the one writing it.