The first night

This cant be the end

“As of right now Japan is the only place I know of that is relatively safe and that was last week.” His hair was long, but where it usually would look wrong it looked perfect on him. And it was dyed, clearly. “They shut down completely. But not here.”

“Where did it come from though?”

“North.” The color was almost like caramel, but lighter. Softer. I liked it.

“China?”

“North Korea.” A loud bang came from the door, but it didn’t last long. “It is a strain from the Bubonic Plague, but altered. Originally it only killed the body, not it destroys the brain and saves the body.”

“Like a zombie.” He nodded and looked at me with his beautiful eyes.

“That is the best we can think to put it.” He looked around and pointed seven other people out. “We are the remains of a government group that was monitoring their progress. By the time we realized what they were doing we couldn’t stop them.” I looked around as well. There were eleven people in this room.

“Who are the other two?” My eyes lingered on the woman.

“There are four survivors from unit M and four from unit B. Kiseok, Han Kil and Jong Su.” He pointed at the tall man, the one with the woman and a man who looked like he was passed out. “They are in my unit, M. The others are from unit B. Su Hoon is their leader and he is my right hand man now. Then there is Han Chul, Hyun Min and Joon.

“The woman however, we found.” Kangnam looked weary at her. “Ahn Riah was running and Kiseok picked her up. They have been attached since then. Sims doesn’t really like her, but she has to stay.”

“Sims?”

“Ah, sorry. Jong Su is Sims.” I nodded and pointed to a still form huddled under a blanket

“What about that one?”  

“He is the target from unit B.” He called to someone. “They were supposed to protect the boy. He was a student from America. I can’t remember his name yet.”

“What school?”

“Ah, I believe it was Kyung Hee University.”

“My older brother went to Kyung Hee.” My eyes burned with unwanted tears. He was probably dead too. My parents too. “Ji Hwan is probably gone now.” Kangnam looked down at me with a confused look on his face.

“Ji Hwan?” He was obviously thinking. “Jeon Ji Hwan.”

“Yeah, so what?” My brow scrunched and his mouth curved into a smile. That smile seemed to light up the dark room. It made me want to smile as well. It made his face even more beautiful.

“Ya Ji Hwan!” Kangnam threw something at the sleeping form and it started to move. The person yelled back in Korean before getting up.

“Ya Yansuo!” He stormed towards us yelling, but stopped when he saw me. “Haneul Lan?”

“Ji Hwan?” My jaw fell and I got to my feet.