02

Midnight Carnival's Freak Show

02


 

The scratching on Hyemin's arms got worse as she approached the guy in front of her. He smiled his significant smile, showing off the cute dimples and reached out for her hand. She let him to take her hand and he pushed her forward a little. 

"Come on. He doesn't like waiting." His voice was empty as he gazed into a distance, not really paying any attention to where they were going. Without turning around he yelled at the boys who were once again at each other, the taller one panting, his lip busted. "Stop fighting, we have a problem to deal with."

Hyemin ignored where the man was taking her. She had to fight the urge to peel her skin off and rub the bare flesh until she would faint from all the pain. She bit her lip, tearing apart the petite flesh and the spot, bringing the metallic flavor into . She liked the taste of blood. At least it reminded her that she was a living creature with blood circulating in her veins. She turned her face to the right, watching the guy next to her.

Lay bit the inside of his cheek to stop the grin from spreading on his face when she made it more than obvious how intimidated she was by his presence. Cracking his fingers in front of her eyes he pulled her by her arm so she would not hit the tree. He could feel the jabbing from her skin and he smirked. 

This was going to be fun.

They reached a small meadow; dim lights were hung on the trees all around her, creating something like a driveway leading to huge massive black gate. Hyemin had a hard time getting used to the environment, being too overwhelmed by the unexpected events. There was a lock in the heart of the gate and the pixie-like guy came closer, blocking her view from what he was doing. She craned her neck in an attempt to see what he was doing, but it was useless. The only thing she notices was an emblem around the lock. It looked like twigs of trees, but she was not sure. Tilting her head she spotted a sign table saying 'Performers' League; do not enter.'

She crumpled her nose, confused. 'They are performers for the upcoming freak show?' She had no idea something was even hidden in the forest. And most importantly, why they were hiding here? She tried to put the pieces of the puzzle information together so that she could get at least a partial scene of what was going on. Her forearms started itching once again and she frowned, trying hard not to whine out loud. In the corner of her mind she even thought that the air had to be contaminated with something poisonous what evoked such a reaction of her skin.  

The gate finally opened and what welcomed her were faces - a lot of them. She felt shivers run down by her spine and gritted her teeth, the skin on her forearms stinging. It felt like the flames were her flesh, but when she checked, there was not even a single thing burning. She scratched once again, feeling insecure under the observing gazes. One man was leaning onto a tree, eyes fixed on the ground. A white fog was surrounding him, making it hard for her to see him clearly. He although lifted his head as soon as others marched in. His eyes flashed with bright aero blue. Anger and hurt.

Hyemin stopped dead in her tracks and stared at the boy as he slowly his heel, rushing away. He gave off a vibe causing every cell in her body freeze, but something in him caught her attention. Something made an impact with her left shoulder and she stumbled, not expecting it. The fire boy dashed somewhere to the bushes, earning a few snickers and smiles from the guys standing around in the poorly lit space. 

Lay grimaced, not liking the way things were proceeding and tugged on her arm, maybe little bit too harshly. He flashed an apologetic smile and motioned towards one van standing in a distance. Except of a few wood houses, there was nothing to observe. Most of the area they were spending their time in was trees, rocks and bushes. Sensing someone new surprised him. He couldn't miss the omniscient glance from the Owner. He knew what his task was - and he accomplished it successfully.

The breeze got stronger once again and Hyemin shivered. She was not dressed properly for being out this late. She looked up to witness something flashy, in the colors blue and red to fall down to the ground peacefully. It landed on the ground and the trees, creating on them a thin layer of rime.

She scanned through the forest when her eyes caught sight of a certain creature; letting out a noise that could not possibly be a human. Hyemin gasped for air and tugged onto the hem of her skirt. What had she just seen? The sight was so far the most horrendous of the night and she somehow remembered why people usually suggested not looking out in dark areas at night.

Its long white hair flow through the wind and it had red fiery horns on its' head. The eyes of the demon were tinted red when it seemed to stare through into the girl's soul. Hyemin bit her lip, she wanted to escape this living hell full of fear but numb started taking over her veins, making her stuck at the spot. She wanted to avoid eye-contact with that freak but there was this feature that was attracting her to look at him: his eyes.

His eyes were similar to the eyes of men she had met just now; they were filled purely with emptiness without any emotions or expression. They seemed to have gone through a lot in life. However, these freaks' eyes did remind her of something. The image of a bird in a cage that was unable to get any freedom. What was holding them back? She wanted to seek that answer so much.

What made her thoughts vanished was the change of expression on the monster's face. Initially, it did have a hardened expression without emotions, but it changed abruptly after their eyes connected. His eyes softened and Hyemin could spot a certain emotion in the depths of his eyes- pity and regret. He grimaced in a way what seemed like an apology. Hyemin felt goosebumps rose on her back and her arms burned with bigger force than ever before. The creature hid behind the tree, peeking at her, abashed. 

Hyemin saw that difference in his eyes and did felt regretful for giving such a reaction; it seemed like she did made the 'monster' ashamed of its change. She wanted to apologize because he didn't look that bad at all but it vanished into thin air without her knowing.

"My Cyg, you are finally here!"

Hyemin turned around in shock, the cold voice penetrating through her heart as she inhaled, puffs of air escaping from between her lips as the air got remarkably colder, precisely turning into small crystals of fog. She could hear some chuckles from the guys standing nearby. Her head snapped towards the guy who brought her here. The tall man was standing there, motionless. He was staring to the distance and she felt the urge to cower behind him. Now she understood: he was not there in order to save her, but to bring her to this man. 

She gulped and stuck her chin out: "My name is Hyemin." She could sense a motion in the bushes, but she resisted to look in the direction. This man in front of her was now more important. She squinted, trying to make out his features, but all she could see were long hairs flying all around his face. He was staring somewhere on the ground, hands crossed around his middle, bended lightly. He was dressed in long black coat and a scarf was flying behind him. 

He chuckled drily and nodded. "Yes, your name was Hyemin. Here you are Cyg. Welcome to our family."


We do have a request from our great readers, we do hope that you will comment your opinions and suggestion about the story because we really need constructive criticism and some opinions. Please comment your thoughts! Thank you!