pretty faced

pretty faced
You’re just a pretty face, nothing more, nothing less.



Jiyeon’s heard countless variations of that same sentence, all of which point out each and every one of her insecurities. She’s never been the best student in her class and her vocal skills are unable to compete with the rest of her members. Her dance skills are mediocre even though she may spend hours and hours attempting to perfect the routine.

Things like this may or may not be true since it depends on everyone’s interpretations of half-truths and white lies, but she’s rather certain that instances like this should be expected.

Or maybe not but she’s learnt to live with it, the rumors and accusations shoved to the back of her mind and crushed with a gigantic hammer.


Jiyeon likes being alone a lot of the time, like solo bus rides and wandering the streets of downtown Seoul at 3.A.M. without a care in the world. Her members worry for her sometimes, especially Eunjung who reminds her insistently that she has an image that she isn’t allowed to tarnish.

But she’s tired of everything; the countless events, the music flops, an acting career going no where. It isn’t until she meets Chunji, a sleazy looking guy she runs into outside of a club one early morning.

He’s the typical playboy: white suit, navy blue button up shirt, hair spiked up with gel, and a smile that has trapped countless girls. Chunji knows all the right things to say, and eventually snatches Jiyeon’s phone and inputs his number into it.

“Call me any time.”


Jiyeon’s kind of surprised, though not entirely shocked, when she finds herself texting him to meet her at the same club they met at.

She finally spots him seated at the bar, a shot glass in one hand and uncharacteristically alone. It’s a little ironic in that just as her train of thought finishes a scantily dressed girl, clad in a hot pink mini skirt and matching stilettos no less, waltzes up to Chunji.

Jiyeon watches from afar, emotions burning at the bottom of her stomach and for some reason she feels… territorial? It isn’t until the tramp tries to link arms with him that totally sets off her jealousy, the emotion lashing out and burning all rational thoughts from her mind.

In a confident strut, Jiyeon makes her way over to Chunji’s seat in four seconds flat, shoving the other girl aside and seating herself next to her man. He’s a little bewildered at her sudden appearance, but Jiyeon’s sultry smile puts him at ease.

The other girl is completely flabbergasted as she fumbles for a few less than classy insults, the words only coming out in short gasps and “how dare you.”

Jiyeon smirks though, the confidence exuding an air that makes even her flinch.

“What are you doing, flirting with my man.”

She hears Chunji chuckle lightly behind her as she flips a few tresses of hair over her shoulder, the girl letting out a squeak and making a quick get away.

“Glad to know that I’m one of your possessions, Jiyeon,” Chunji tuts as he downs another shot.

“And you should stop drinking so much alcohol, it’s not good for you,” is her quick reply, her expression quickly scrunching up into a look of distaste.

“Well, it doesn’t change the fact that you’re attracted to me, does it?”

Jiyeon lets out an indigent scoff as her arms cross in a defensive manner but a few moments pass and Jiyeon rests her elbows on the edge of the bar, lost in thought.

“But then again, what girl in her right mind wouldn’t be attracted to you?”

Chunji nearly chokes on his whisky.


After a lot more alcohol enters both of their systems, Jiyeon finds everything in life is a little more enjoyable. The two of them wander out of the club, Chunji the more sober one of the two, as Jiyeon clings onto his arm for dear life and balance.

She tells him all of her worries and troubles, especially with the way people seem to perceive her and how none of them expect anything from her.

“They all say I’m just a pretty face, and that’s it. Chunji, that’s all I am isn’t it? Oh~ the woes of my life!” Jiyeon screams to the night sky, forehead a little sweaty and light brown curls shifting in the light breeze.

Chunji grins a little as he murmurs comforting nothings into her ear as they near a park; he makes Jiyeon sit before he runs off toward the vending machine in hope of some drink that can sober her up. He comes back to find her in another one of her dream-like trances, head lolling from side to side with a silly smile plastered to her face.

“Jiyeon-ah,” he calls out as he puts the cold can to her face which instantly wakes her up, eyes snapping open.

Instead of being angry, like he had expected her to be, Jiyeon lets out a slew of giggles and hiccups, thanking him as she takes the drink from his hands. It takes a few minutes but she seems to be sober enough for a proper conversation.

“I can only remember bits and pieces of what had happened, but whatever I have said is probably the truth. The drunk me is a lot more honest than a sober me is,” Jiyeon confided, a cheery smile gracing her features.

Chunji isn’t exactly sure why, how, or when the sudden urge to kiss her had appeared but rather than pondering the thought he just does.


It’s a bittersweet kiss, the taste of alcohol and coffee lingering between the two of them, Jiyeon’s warm breath fanning across his left cheek. She’s blushing now and he also finds himself turning red.

The awkwardness isn’t so bad but when Jiyeon attempts to back away and give more space between the two of them, Chunji is the one who holds her back.

His fingers pause on her wrist, skin slightly grazing skin, as his other hand brings their head closer. Chunji’s eyes speak for themselves as Jiyeon sees worry flash through them, as if he was asking if it was okay.

Jiyeon’s answer is to close her eyes when their lips meet once more, setting her entire body on fire. From the tips of her toes to the top of her head Jiyeon feels electricity, her breath becoming slightly ragged.


They’re both nearly gasping for air, both completely taken aback by the sudden rush of emotions. Chunji tries laughing it off but instead ends up caressing the palms of her hands, his eyes downcast.

She gives him a light peck on his forehead seeing as his pouting face too adorable to resist. He tsk’s at her in response, shaking his head slightly.


The two of them don’t realize how late it really has gotten until Jiyeon points out the fact that the sun is starting to rise.

Chunji ends up walking her home, his jacket slung over her shoulders and their fingers tightly interlocked together.

He also gives her a butterfly kiss on the forehead when they reach the doorstep of her dormitory; Jiyeon reluctantly shrugs off his jacket, mumbling excuses about how her members are going to get mad at her again. Chunji laughs at her antics, but nods in understanding as he nearly pushes her through the front door with the promise of texting her when he gets home too.

Jiyeon safely sneaks past everyone’s rooms without waking anyone and sighs in relief when she shuts the door to her room.

Nearly twenty minutes later, just when she was about to fall asleep, Chunji texts her saying that he got home safe and he’s sorry if he accidentally wakes her up.

A minute later another text message from him arrives:

 

It's beauty that captures your attention; personality which captures your heart.