misfit

misfit

They say that they're all talent-less losers at school, but Jiyeon begs to differ. Sure, they're all different and weird and just plain strange, but she's positive that's why they are so interesting. They have this quirky charm she wishes she has, for the only thing she does possess is the looks and mediocre vocal skills.

But her smiles hide cringes and her face hurts when she’s standing on stage, giving it her all but even that is never enough. Hyorin and Ailee give her sympathetic looks, but she knows it’s only out of pity.

Sometimes it hurts, when realization hits and she’s screaming and crying, wishing her life could be so much better. Her signature black eyeliner runs down her face, her hands grabbing at her hair and yanking.

Jiyeon was positive she was alone, though maybe not anymore; his silhouette shadows the door frame, black on white, and her screams subside to small gasps and hiccups. It’s Jinwoon she notes as she attempts to wipe away the tears. His expression is solemn as he approaches her, an acoustic guitar in hand.

With a slight tilt of the head, he gives her a sad smile; it was as if he was the only one in the world who could understand her. So when he sits down and gingerly wraps an arm around her is when Jiyeon resumes sobbing into his warm embrace, the smell of his musky cologne fills her senses, her mind committing it to memory.

It isn’t until the weekend is over that Jiyeon comes back to school feeling like a new person. She’s chopped off her long, chocolate brown locks in favor of a new bob. Classmates give her wary looks as she passes them down the halls, her stride exuding an arrogant confidence.

Jiyeon ignores the stares and the pointing fingers, completely sure of the raging gossip that was to spread through the school. And sure enough, news travels fast when she arrives at her classroom, the side-eye glances never escaping her eyes. She smiles though, a wicked one at that, and it has everyone quiet.

She’s not sure why it feels so good, but she doesn’t question it, the bell ringing and Jinwoon rushing into class just in time. He turns to her, giving her another one of his goofy grins and Jiyeon’s absolutely sure that he’s perfect.

Jinwoon is good-looking, talented, and funny; he’s everything she is and so much more. Because Jinwoon actually has talent, while she has nothing. Jiyeon envies him, but his personality radiates “friend” and she can’t bring herself to hate him. It’s also because he’s the only one that seems to understand her, more than she would like in all honesty, and she’s so scared to lose someone like that.

They still meet occasionally, in the empty laundry room at midnight as he plays the guitar and she sings his newly composed song. Everything is peaceful and perfect and Jiyeon wishes, and pleads with God, to never let it end. However, reality is such a cruel thing when her trance is broken, the sound of the guitar no longer there. She opens her eyes and looks up, seeing Kang Sora looking at them with a curious expression.

Jinwoon stutters and excuses himself as he scrambles to get up, shoving the guitar in Jiyeon’s awaiting hands. He bids her a quick farewell and telling her to take care of his guitar (because she “knows what to do with it”) when he leads his girlfriend out of the room, his arm slung around her shoulders.



He’s extremely charming, Jiyeon concedes, but he’s nothing like Jinwoon. Im Jaebum is everything a girl could ever want, but he’s not the one Jiyeon wants.

The guy is certainly put off with her cold front (which really isn’t a front at all) and continues to pester her with date invitations. After the hundredth time or so she finally agrees, the two of them deciding on going to an amusement park the following Saturday.

Jaebum is certainly nothing like Jinwoon, but he’s sweet and lovely and Jiyeon can’t help but say yes when he asks her to officially become his girlfriend. His fan girls are jealous, her fan boys peeved, but it’s okay.

Because none of it matters when Jinwoon is in his own happy little bubble with Sora.

Jiyeon and Jaebum date for nearly two years, and it’s as if time had fast-forward. They were going to graduate this spring, and Jiyeon’s nervously excited as she balances on the balls of her feet. Jaebum shoots her a kind smile, their hands still entwined together as they stare up at the front gate. In a week’s time they would no longer be attending the school.

She gives him a small peck on the cheek and a shove, her hand letting go and dashing off. Jaebum fakes a shocked expression and gives chase. The little game doesn’t last long when he grabs her by the arm and pulls her closer, putting them both off balance and falling onto the grass in a huge tumbling heap.

Jiyeon lets out a hearty laugh and Jaebum soon joins in, unable to contain himself. They lay there for a few heartbeats, basking in the moment when Jiyeon nudges him to sit up. She gives him a smirk and childishly gives him another kiss on the lips.

After there lips separate with a soft pop, Jaebum leans in close and whispers into Jiyeon’s ear:

Would you like to spend the night?

She nods shyly, a light blush on her cheeks.

It’s that night she loses her most precious thing to the man she thought she loved, but the thought of Jinwoon still lingers in the back of her mind.



Graduation passes by in a blur and Jiyeon finds herself ready to attend Seoul University, set on receiving a bachelor’s degree in music. She and Jaebum had decided to amicably separate, because he had decided to attend Daegu University. It wasn’t as painful as she had expected, but she was sure that it was for the best.

What’s surprising was that on the first day of classes, she sees a familiar head of hair in the back row of her lecture class (was it Korean literature, or something?)

Jiyeon cautiously walks up to the figure, a finger prodding the shoulder of the unknown person. He turns around and she’s met with the same adorable eye-smile of Jinwoon. She takes a step backwards, slightly taken aback with his appearance. Didn’t he decide on pursuing music or something?

Jinwoon doesn’t say anything besides a simple hello, and an offer of the seat next to him. Curiosity fills her insides, making Jiyeon squirm uncomfortably in her seat and it isn’t until Jinwoon asks if she’s feeling alright does she drop the bomb.

Are you and Sora still together?

Oh. Her? No, we broke up soon after you and Jaebum started dating.


Jiyeon remains quiet, unsure of what to say next but Jinwoon just continues speaking.

As it turns out, she only wanted to make your boyfriend jealous but instead he had already fallen for you. Funny thing is, the guy thought we were going out and asked for permission to pursue you.

Still unable to comprehend, Jiyeon sits rather still, stewing various emotions. It takes a few moments, but she finally finds the use of her voice and whispers just loud enough for Jinwoon to hear.

You know Jinwoon, I really did like you then though I’m not sure of now.

Jiyeon, if you really did love me, would you have done that with Jaebum?


Jiyeon looks up, shock etched into her face as her gaze searches Jinwoon’s face.

What we did has nothing to do with you, Jinwoon. After all, he was my boyfriend!

Completely irked, she gathers up her things and leaves just as soon as the professor declares the lecture to be over. Jinwoon finds the urge to punch something.



To her distaste, Jiyeon finds that she still doesn’t fit in here at university. It’s rather bothersome when no one seems to want to be her friend and it feels like high school all over again. So instead of sticking around campus, she heads for the subway station.

Perhaps going somewhere else would be good for her, Jiyeon decides when she eventually ends up in downtown Seoul perusing the shopping district.

The windows of the various brand names sparkled with beautiful bags and jewelry, all of which Jiyeon can’t afford. She’s jolted out of her reverie at the sound of her ring tone, a call from an anonymous caller. She answers cautiously, but relaxes when it’s the familiar voice of Jinwoon.

Jiyeon, you know… today… about that… I’m sorry.

Jinwoon coughs awkwardly when Jiyeon doesn’t respond, a whimsical smile on her face.

It’s okay. Don’t worry about it.

You know, I never had the chance to tell you this, Jiyeon, but I’ve always liked you just the way you are.



It was three years in the making, but it was at that precise moment that Jiyeon realized that it’s okay to be the way she was; yes, she was a misfit, but it makes her all the more interesting.

She hears the crunch of leaves behind her, her body suddenly alert as she begins to move into an attack position. Her hand bag slung just so to allow her to whack the perpetrator behind her. But Jiyeon’s cut off short when from the corner of her eye she recognizes his face.

It’s Jinwoon, with a bright smile on his face, his arm up in the air with his cell phone. Jiyeon can’t help but scoff at him, her former paranoia evaporating immediately. She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear and motions for him to join her.

He jogs up the slight slope quickly, chuckling as she looks up at his face. She pouts in response but all he does is give her a broad grin as he offers his arm to her.

Jiyeon takes it gleefully and they continue walking down the street, laughing and poking fun at each other.

Yes, Jiyeon is a misfit but it’s okay. Everything is okay because Jinwoon is there. Like always.