Mistaken Mistletoe

Mistaken Mistletoe

"We're standing under a mistletoe," Yixing interrupted. You abruptly stopped your talk about the linear time-space model and looked at him, puzzled at first and then bashful. When you looked above you, you indeed noticed the evergreen sprig, tied with red ribbon, ripe with red berries and hanging just over your heads.

Yixing looked back at you, his expression a mix of sweet shyness and expectancy. You smiled softly and at him and shrugged. You'd known Yixing for a while, but had only been dating perhaps a little more than two weeks. He hadn't kissed you yet.

Truthfully, you'd been expecting it to happen for some time now. But had you expected it to happen like this? Under a mistletoe?

"Isn't this a little too cheesy, though?" you asked. Yixing laughed.

"Well, it's Christmas," he reasoned. "Everything gets a little cheesy this time of year."

You laughed in agreement, but neither of you moved for a while. A blush began to settle on your cheeks. The heat intensified. Yixing cleared his throat.

"You know, if you walk away from a mistletoe without kissing under it, it's bad luck," he said. You raised an eyebrow at him.

"I think you made that up," you said.

"No, it's true," Yixing said, taking a step toward you. The sudden closeness sent your heart leaping into your throat, and your lips parted slightly. With a gentle smile, Yixing tilted your chin upward. When your faces were aligned, he brought his lips to yours, letting the tender skin there graze against your mouth slightly. In the next second, he added a gentle pressure about your mouth, kissing you chaste and full on the lips.

All at once, your inhibitions faded and your spirit was doing somersaults. The first kiss, you kept thinking to yourself. And how perfect it was. 

You thought about the mistletoe over your heads, about where this kissing mistletoe legend even came from. Whatever the story was, it was a part of you now. Just as Yixing was.

The two of you parted after some time, and Yixing was still holding you when the kiss broke. He smiled at you and you shyly returned the gesture. 

"I - ," Yixing began to say, but there was a tap on his shoulder. When you both looked, you noticed Chen, who smirked as he pointed at a doorway on the opposite side of the room, where another sprig of branches with a red ribbon and white berries hung.

"The mistletoe is over there," Chen said. "You guys were just kissing under regular holly."

 


 

Author's Commentary:

Okay, so apparently, this is holly

And this is mistletoe

And I didn't know that until writing this fanfic