The Christmas Kiss - Oneshot

The Christmas Kiss

 

“Good morning Dr. Yoon.” Park Gyuri, another Attending Physician at the Pediatric Department of St. Hope Hospital, greeted Yoon Eun Hye when she saw her walk out of the elevator.

“Good morning Dr. Park. You’re early today.” Eun Hye pretended to be shocked at her friend’s presence.

“Well, there’s a staff meeting, I don’t really have a choice.” She covered as she yawned. “Sorry, still early.”

Eun Hye laughed. “Don’t worry, I totally understand.” Then she added, “I thought the staff meeting was only exclusive for the Nurses and Residents.”

Gyuri shoved her hands in her white lab coat side pockets and turned to Eun Hye. “Actually they changed it yesterday. The Chief included the other Attending Doctors and Fellows.”

“Why would he do that?”

“Well, I guess to introduce you to everyone. You are our new Attending Physician you know.” Gyuri reminded her.

“I see. I guess that’s fine.” She muttered under her breath.

“Why does it sound like you don’t want this welcome party?” Gyuri looked at her with interest.

“Well…I rather start reading the patient’s chart and get to know them and the families.”

“Oh don’t worry, you will have a lot of time to do that. Just enjoy this welcome party…There will be good breakfast you know.” Gyuri winked at her.

Eun Hye laughed as she followed her new friend. “Fine.”

They were both turning around the corner when they saw some of the staff start walking in the meeting room.

“I guess everyone’s here now.” Eun Hye observed.

“Probably.” Gyuri shrugged, but then stopped on her tracks and turned to Eun Hye. “I just remembered something.” She looked excited as she held on Eun Hye’s arm. “The Christmas party!”

Eun Hye tilted her head a little. “Christmas party?”

Gyuri hooked her arm on Eun Hey’s and they both started walking towards the staff room. “Yes, m’am. Our department always throws us a big and wonderful Christmas party. You need to go since this will be your first time.”

“I guess.” Eun Hye shrugged.

“Awesome! C’mon, let’s go inside.” Gyuri pulled Eun Hye inside and then stopped as she scanned the room. “Oh wow! The handsome Attendings and Fellows are all here.”

“Why? Is that not normal?” Eun Hye looked at her.

“Well, yeah, it’s hard to get these handsome Attendings and Fellows out. They are always busy with things.” She explained.

“Are they all single? Is that why all the women flocking around them?” Eun Hye observed the group of Nurses and Coordinators surrounding some guys with lab coats which she figured that might be the single Doctors.

Gyuri grinned at her. “Bingo!”

“I see, so who is the one that you like?”

“Oh that will be…wait…what?” She stammered. “What do you mean?”

Eun Hye wanted to burst out laughing when she saw the startled look on her friend Gyuri’s face.

“Well, you are excited on seeing the…” She paused and raised both of her hands up in the air with the quotation sign. “‘Handsome and single’ doctors that I thought you probably have your sight on someone specifically.” She winked as Gyuri dropped her jaw in shock.

Gyuri looked around to make sure that no one was paying attention to them and thena she pulled Eun Hye to the side and whispered. “Is it that obvious?”

Eun Hye nodded her head.

“Oh crap.” Gyuri bent down and touched her knees for support as she breathed in and out to calm herself down.

“Are you okay?” Eun Hye lowered herself down to see her face. “Do you need a bag to breathe in?”

Instead of answering her question Gyuri asked this instead. “Do you think anyone noticed it too?”

“You’re so silly. I don’t think anyone did.”

“But you did! And you just joined our department four days ago!” She pointed out.

Eun Hye stood up straight and crossed her arms over her chest. “True, you are right about it.” She pretended to be serious.

Eun Hye looked down and noticed that Gyuri was still bent down hyperventilating. She rolled her eyes and grabbed her friend’s arm. “C’mon get up missy. You’re a doctor! You can face this guy!”

Gyuri looked at her and thought for a moment.

“Yeah!” Gyuri stood up and pumped her fist up with a determined look in her eyes. Yes I am!” Then she looked at the group of Doctors and took back what she just said. “I don’t think I can.” She was starting to freak out and was about to cower away.

Eun Hye caught her friend’s shoulder before she could squat down and panic all over again.

“Okay, I’m thirsty. Let’s go grab some juice there.” Eun Hye pointed at the table she had being eyeing for a while. Eun Hye started dragging her friend despite the anxious expression on her friend’s face.

Gyuri was trying to escape, but saw what was on the table. “Oh! They have the good breakfast!” Gyuri ran and left her by the door.

“Wow…really? Food before friends huh?” Eun Hye chuckled under her breath and followed suit.

She was almost by the table when she felt a tingling sensation running down at the back of her neck. She knitted her eyebrows as she touched it to check. She tried to brush it off, but the warm feeling wouldn’t go away. It was like someone was staring at her.

She casually surveyed the room and froze when she found herself looking straight to a very familiar face and without a thought, his name automatically slipped out from .

“Yong Hwa.”

 

~ TCK ~



“Why are we all here this early in the morning?” Jong Hyun complained at his two friends as he poured himself a cup of coffee in the staff room.

“Well, it is a staff meeting.” Yong Hwa reminded his fellow Attending, Dr. Lee Jong Hyun.

“I also heard that Dr. Lee will be introducing the new Attending replacing Dr. Han, who left with a broken heart because you rejected her.” Dr. Kang Min Hyuk shared to them while he stared at Yong Hwa.

Jong Hyun was surprised. “Wait…Did you say Dr. Lee? Me?”

Min Hyuk rolled his eyes. “Not you, you ding dong. Dr. Lee Dong Gun, our Department Chief.”
“Oh…It’s hard to have someone with the same last name as you…” He abruptly stopped in a middle of his sentence.

“What’s wrong with you?” Min Hyuk asked his friend who stood frozen in front of him staring over his shoulder. “Hey Jong Hyun!” He snapped his fingers in front of his face, but no reaction at all.

Yong Hwa looked at his friend and followed his line of sight. What he saw totally took him by surprise.

“Eun Hye…” Yong Hwa muttered under his breath.

“Eun Hye?” Min Hyuk bore a confused look on his face as he stared at both of his friends. “Eun Hye what?”
When no one answered he turned around and saw a beautiful girl looking at their direction with the same surprised look on her face. Then it dawned on him.

“Could it be?” Min Hyuk asked mostly to himself as he glanced from his friends and back to this girl. He remembered one time when the three of them went out for a drink and someone mentioned that Yong Hwa was in love with this girl for years, but she got away. He looked back at the girl and then at Yong Hwa’s face.

“Is she the girl?” He muttered to himself. “There’s only one way to find out.” He said to himself as he started to walk towards the girl.

“Min Hyuk!” He ignored his friends as he got closer that got his friends speechless.

He was a step away from the beautiful girl when someone grabbed both of his arms from behind. He turned his head and saw both of his friends looking anxious.

“Hey Min Hyuk.” A beautiful voice called his name.

“Hey Gyuri.” He greeted her while he pulled both of his arms back from his friends’ grasp. “I saw the list earlier and I noticed we will be both on the floor next schedule.”

Gyuri smiled at him. “Really? I haven’t opened the schedule yet. I guess I need to check when it will start.”

“Oh, it starts next Friday.” Min Hyuk informed her excitedly.

“Thank you.” Then Gyuri looked behind Min Hyuk. “Hey Jong Hyun! Hey Yong Hwa!” She waved her hand at them.

Both Jong Hyun and Yong Hwa stepped beside Min Hyuk and smiled at her.

“Hey Gyuri.” Jong Hyun winked at her.

Gyuri turned bright red as she twirled her hair with her index finger. “Hey Jong Hyun.”

Eun Hye saw the look between Gyuri and Jong Hyun and she almost giggled, but she covered before it came out.

“Eun Hye.” A low masculine voice called her name.

Eun Hye turned and locked eyes with Yong Hwa. She blinked twice before she got her bearings together.

“Hey Yong Hwa. Long time no see.” She smiled shyly and waved her right hand.

Yong Hwa laughed a little. “Yes, long time no see.”

“Hey Eun Hye…remember me?” Jong Hyun clipped between them with his face only few inches away from her.

Eun Hye glanced at Jong Hyun and beamed at him. “Of course! Who would forget you? You broke so many hearts during High School and College.”

Min Hyuk and Jong Hwa busted out laughing.

“Yah!” Jong Hyun punched both of his friends. “I wasn’t that bad!”

“Wait.” Gyuri looked from Eun Hye and then to the other three Doctors. “You all know each other?”

“Not me.” Min Hyuk spouted out in between laughter. “I don’t know her at all.”

Eun Hye shifted her attention to her friend Gyuri. “Jong Hyun, Yong Hwa, and I went to the same High School and University.”

Jong Hyun moved beside Eun Hye and placed his arm on her shoulder.

“This girl.” Jong Hyun pointed at Eun Hye. “Was very popular with the guys during High School and all the way through College.”

“Really?” Gyuri looked fascinated to this new information she received. Then she peeped at Jong Hyun and asked. “So, does that mean you both were an item once?”

Eun Hye pinched Jong Hyun’s arm which got him off of her. “No, we were not an item at all.” Eun Hye rolled her eyes. “Jong Hyun, if I remember it right, was a big player.”

“She got you there pal.” Yong Hwa patted his friend’s shoulder before he could even react.

Yong Hwa turned his attention to Eun Hye. “So, nice to see you here.” He placed his hands in his lab coat’s side pockets. “I’m guessing you’re the new Attending Doctor.”

“Yes I am.” Eun Hye tried to study him. “I didn’t know you would go for Pediatrics. I thought you were more into Surgery.” She couldn’t help to notice.

“Well, I changed my mind. Plus, I still can do that here. I’m one of the Attending Doctor for Pediatric-Surgery.”

“Well, to tell you the truth.” Jong Hyun interrupted again. “He changed his mind to Pediatrics when he heard you…” Jong Hyun bellowed out in pain. He turned to Yong Hwa and screamed. “Yah!!!”

Gyuri stepped closer to Jong Hyun. “Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m okay, just a little bruised somewhere.” He glared at his friend Yong Hwa, who jabbed him on his side.

“You mean your ego right?” Yong Hwa hissed at him.

“I think the meeting is about to start.” Min Hyuk announced. “Dr. Lee is here.”

Yong Hwa looked behind him and then back to Eun Hye. “Let’s go closer.” He walked behind her and pushed her forward.

 

~ TCK ~



Park Gyuri was going through her patient’s charts when she felt someone looking down her shoulder. She frowned and was about to tell this person off when she saw who it was.

“Yong Hwa?” She searched her mind for the doctor’s schedule for this month. She doesn’t remember seeing Yong Hwa to be on the floor this week. “What are you doing here?”

Yong Hwa shrugged. “Just checking on Jong Hyun’s patient. He asked to switch today, so I’m going to join you and the others during the rounds.

“Oh, so he is not here today.” Gyuri said in a disappointed voice.

Yong Hwa noticed her reaction. “Don’t worry he will be back tomorrow.” He winked at her.

“Wha…? Wait…I’m not worried.” She denied while looking all flustered.

“C’mon Gyuri. How long have we known each other? Five? Six years?” Yong Hwa tried to count on his fingers.

“Seven…” Gyuri mumbled.

“See…Seven years…that’s a long time.” Yong Hwa expressed.

Gyuri glowered at him. “What do you want Yong Hwa?” She started to tap the tip of her pen on the chart.

“What do you mean?” Yong Hwa looked offended. “I am just here to help you.” He shrugged.

“Help me with what?” She raised her left eyebrows.

Yong Hwa looked around first, before leaning closer to Gyuri. “Well, I know that you like my best friend Jong Hyun, and I can help you get his attention.”

Gyuri looked at him for a good long minute. He knew she was weighing down what he just offered her.

“What is it to you if you help me with Jong Hyun?” She keenly observed.

“Well…” He scratched his head while looking from side to side. “Maybe you can help me with Eun Hye.”

Gyuri smirked as she turned her attention back to her charts.

“Hey…” Yong Hwa tried to get her attention back. “You don’t want me to help you with Jong Hyun?”

Gyuri sighed and looked back at him. “You know, you should have just asked me in the first place that you need help with Eun Hye. You didn’t need to involve Jong Hyun in this.”

“Well, I want to help you with Jong Hyun too. That man needs a strong woman on his side and you are that kind of woman.”

Now that got Gyuri’s attention. “I’m that woman? Do humor me and tell me why?”

“Wait, don’t tell me you don’t know what the staff calls you around here.” Yong Hwa .

“Calls me? Where?”

“Oh wow…we’ve been working here for like seven years and you have no clue.” Yong Hwa laughed. “This is priceless!”

“Yah!” Gyuri growled.

“Hey, hey…calm down you Tigress.” Yong Hwa pulled her on the side away from the pod. “This is the children’s floor you know.”

“Tigress???” She hissed.

Yong Hwa grinned widely. “Yup, Tigress…that’s what they call you on the floor.” Then he added. “It’s not a bad thing you know. They just know that you protect your patients and the staff from the people who wanted to harm them. They’ve seen it so many times that they loved you for it.”

She frowned. “I see.”

“But, when it comes to love you kind of regress.” He pointed out. “That’s why I’m going to help you.”

She tried to digest what was happening here and came up with an idea. “Fine. I’ll go along with you.”

“Awesome. So, you will help me with Eun Hye.” Yong Hwa looked excited.

“Yes, I will.”

“So, when will you start?”

“Right now.” Gyuri closed her chart and winked at him.

Yong Hwa was puzzled until he saw where Gyuri was headed to. There, ten feet from him, stood Yoon Eun Hye. He saw Gyuri whisper something to her and then Eun Hye looked at him and smiled before disappearing in one of the consultation rooms. Then he saw Gyuri with a mischievous smile and made an ‘ok’ sign with her fingers before following Eun Hye in the room.

“Yong Hwa, I hope you know what you’re getting yourself into.” He mumbled to himself.

 

~ TCK ~



Eun Hye glanced at her friend Gyuri, who was busily eating lunch beside her in the staff room while she was reading some of her patient’s protocols.

“You know, if you keep on staring at me like that I will melt.” Gyuri joked before setting her eyes on her.
Eun Hye just smiled and returned to the chart she was reading. Then she felt it and said,

“What?”

“What what?” Gyuri pretended not to know.

Eun Hye eyed her suspiciously.

Gyuri rolled her eyes and finally gave up. “Fine…I’m curious.”

“Curious about what?” Eun Hye asked while she flipped the pages of the chart she was working on.

Gyuri inched towards Eun Hye with her elbow on the table and her hand supporting her chin, she leaned over towards Eun Hye. “So? Since when did you learn that you are in love with Yong Hwa?”

Eun Hye broke the tip of her pen with the force she didn’t know she had when she heard the question. She turned to Gyuri, who was smiling like an excited little child who found out a secret.

“Wha..? Love? What do you mean?” Eun Hye masked her surprise with a frown on her face. “What in heaven’s name are you talking about?”

Gyuri sat up, but continued to stare at Eun Hye. “C’mon, Jong Hyun mentioned something that you and Yong Hwa could have been an item in High School and College only if you both weren’t involved with someone else.”

“Okay, does that even make sense?” Eun Hye asked. “How can we be an item if we were with someone else during that time.”

“Well, wrong time? Wrong Place?” Gyuri stated.

Eun Hye sighed. “Okay, what are you trying to say?”

“Well, since you and Yong Hwa met again…don’t you think it's fate?”

“Stop talking nonsense.” Eun Hye didn’t know what to say. “Don’t you have some patient that you need to write orders on? Or family members to appease their minds about some treatment or something.” Eun Hye pointed at the charts in front of them.

“I’m at lunch and you’re changing the subject.” Gyuri stuck her tongue out to her. “I’m just saying you know.”

“That’s the thing…I don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Dr. Park.” The floor coordinator called out from the door.

Gyuri turned around. “Yes?”

“Your patient in room two spiked a fever.”

Gyuri stood up. “Okay, I’m on my way.”

Gyuri turned her attention to Eun Hye as she gathered her stethoscope, pager, and her charts. “Yong Hwa is single. He likes you. So go find him and ask him out! He is here today instead of Jong Hyun….So goooo!”

“Wait!” Eun Hye called out to the disappearing Gyuri. “Dangit Gyuri!!!”

Eun Hye dropped back on her chair as she thought about what her friend just said.

 

~ TCK ~



Yong Hwa looked at the time on the wall. “Almost one…” He pursed his lips as he scanned the room. He had been standing by the Nurse’s station for a few minutes now looking for Eun Hye.

Gyuri informed him earlier that Eun Hye was planning on going to lunch around one and that he should ‘bumped’ into her and ask her to go eat lunch with him.

Gyuri even informed him that all her patients were going to play Bingo at the pediatric play room, so she won’t be needed on the floor for a while and just in case something happened, she would cover for her. Yong Hwa couldn’t help but smile at how Gyuri had been helping him.

“Hi Dr. Jung.” One of the nurses greeted him. “Are you looking for someone?”

“Hey Shan.” Yong Hwa smiled at her. “Uh…Nope…I’m just hanging around.”

He saw Shan look at him suspiciously for a few seconds. “If you’re looking for Dr. Yoon, she just came out of room four.”

“Oh really?” Yong Hwa caught himself. “I mean…really.” He pretended to not care.

“Yes really Dr. Jung.” Shan laughed at him.

“I’m not really waiting…I mean looking for her.” He was totally messing it up.

“Shan, did you eat your lunch yet?” Cherry, another nurse on the floor asked.

“I’m about to. I’m just checking the last order written before I go.” Shan informed her.

“Hey Dr. Jung. Are you on the floor this week? I thought I saw your name on the Clinic list.”

“Oh, I’m just covering for Dr. Lee today.” Yong Hwa informed her.

“Okay.” Cherry turned to Shan. “Oh, Dr. Yoon said she’s leaving the floor to grab something to eat and just to page her if we need her.”

Yong Hwa suddenly looked at his wrist watch. “Oh, it’s past one already. No wonder I’m hungry.

Shan shook her head as she checked some orders on the Nurse’s charts and mumbled funnily. “Uh huh.”

“Well, if you need me, just page me.” Yong Hwa started walking away.

“Dr. Jung…”

Yong Hwa turned his head towards Shan. “Yeah?”

“Other way.” Shan pointed out where Dr. Yoon was at without even looking up from her work.

Yong Hwa slowly turned around and walked towards the opposite side of the pod with a sheepish look on his face.

 

~ TCK ~



Eun Hye was waiting for an elevator. She was planning on grabbing a quick bite to eat before she joins her kids at the play room. She was really glad that she chose to come at this hospital. She received many offers, but when she learned that a hospital from home offered her a position, she jumped at the chance.

Then to top it off, both of her close friends were here too. That was an awesome surprise.

Ding!

Eun Hye looked up to see which elevator opened. “Of course.” She threw her hands in the air. “It’s always the one at the other end that opens.”

She was about to get in the elevator when she heard a voice.

“Hold that elevator!” Someone yelled.

Eun Hye pressed the ‘open’ button and waited for the person to get in. She was surprised to see Yong Hwa running down the hallway and into the elevator.

“Thank you Eun Hye.” He breathlessly voiced out.

Eun Hye looked startled. “Are you okay?”

Yong Hwa leaned on the wall as he tried to catch his breath. “I’m fine. I was going downstairs to get something to eat.”

“Oh, me too.”

“Oh, you are?” Yong Hwa stood up straight. “You want to eat together?” He tried not look that desperate.

Eun Hye smiled at him and that always caused his heart to beat faster. “Sure, why not. We can catch up then.”

“Awesome.” Then he heard the elevator reach the first floor then the door opened. “Ladies first.”

Eun Hye laughed. “Thank you. You’re still the same Yong Hwa.”

His right hand shot up to his heart and he pretended to be surprised. “Wait, what does that mean?”

“You’re still funny I mean…and a gentleman like back then.” She explained.

“I’m trying…” He laughed.

“Where are we going anyway? Cafeteria?” Eun Hye asked.

“Well, I was planning on taking you to the other building. It’s just a ten minute walk. They have some good Chinese food there.” He looked excited.

“I do love some Chinese food!” Eun Hye shared with a big smile on her face.

“Yes I know.” Yong Hwa winked at her.

Eun Hye was surprised, but tried not to say it. “Okay then, lead the way.”

“Okay.” Yong Hwa pointed the way and started walking.

She was a step behind him as they walked without talking for a few minutes toward the place where Yong Hwa planned to take her.

“So…Are you going to the Christmas party?” Yong Hwa asked out in a blue.

“Well, I wasn’t planning on going.” Eun Hye answered honestly.

Yong Hwa slowed down and matched his steps with her, so they ended up walking side by side. “Which means you’re going.” He grinned. “What changed your mind?”

She sighed. “Well, it was more like someone told me to go or else…”

Yong Hwa couldn’t help, but laugh. “Let me guess…” He pretended to think while tapping his chin. “Dr. Park.”
“Hey! How did you know?!”

“Well, she’s the only one you’re close with.”

“Wow…” She paused a little. “Does that mean I’m predictable?”

“No you’re not.”

“But you just said…” She didn’t even get a chance to finish her sentence when Yong Hwa interrupted her.

“Well, for me you are, but we’ve known each other since High School.”

She smiled shyly. “True.”

“Well, I know you will enjoy the Christmas Party.” He said. “Do you know that they do theme parties on Christmas?”

That piqued her interest. “Really? What’s the theme this year?”

“I believe it's Winter Wonderland with Igloos and snow everywhere.”

“Really? Can’t wait to see it then.”

Yong Hwa noticed that they were close to the food court. He grabbed Eun Hye’s arm and they turned around the corner. He pressed the elevator button and when it opened they both walked in and went down one floor.

“Wow, I didn’t know this place existed.” Eun Hye said in awe.

“Well, you haven’t seen anything yet.” Yong Hwa led her through the sliding door and walked over the next building.

“Oohhhh, a Starbucks?! A real one!” She turned to Yong Hwa like a child who found her favorite candy store.

“Yes, they actually have one here with a full menu.” He found her already standing in line to order her Frappuccino, but grabbed her gently and walked her over the Chinese place that he was talking about.

“You can have that coffee after lunch.”

She frowned at him. “You sound like my mom.” Then she smiled and pushed him gently. “C’mon, let’s go get some food. I’m starving.”

 

~ TCK ~



Yong Hwa saw his friend Jong Hyun heading home. It had been four days since he covered for his friend’s shift. He ran after him and gave him a noogie.

“Hey, stop it!” Jong Hyun pushed Yong Hwa off of him. “What’s wrong with you man?”

Yong Hwa grinned. “Nothing…”

“Okay, that ‘nothing’ is something. So spill it.” Jong Hyun observed.

“Well, I had a wonderful lunch with Eun Hye few days ago.” Yong Hwa shared.

“And?” Jong Hyun asked. “I know there’s more to it than that.”

Both of them headed towards the parking garage.

“Well, I actually got her to agree for me to pick her up at her apartment that night and her to the Christmas party.” Yong Hwa jumped and punched Jong Hyun’s arm in excitement. “Dude! This is my chance!”

Jong Hyun couldn’t help but laugh at his crazy friend.

“Well, you better not screw it up.” Jong Hyun joked. “You’ve been waiting for this since High School you know.”

“Yeah, I know. That’s why this time, I’m not going to wait. Someone might snatch her away from me again.”

“That’s good to know.” Jong Hyun was happy for his friend.

“Are you going with someone?” Yong Hwa inquired.

“No, I think I’ll go solo this time.” They both reached their car.

“Really? No girls you want to score with or something?” Yong Hwa joked.

“Well, there is this one girl…but she’s different.” Jong Hyun looked down on the ground.
Yong Hwa got curious. “How different?”

“Well…” Jong Hyun crunched his face as he thought of the best way to explain. “She’s not the type of girl who plays around. She’s more like…the marrying type of girl.”

“Really now…tell me more.” Yong Hwa leaned on his car, which was beside his friend’s car.

“I don’t know. It might just be nothing.” Jong Hyun shrugged.

“Wait…wait…’nothing?’ you just told me few minutes ago that my nothing, is not really ‘nothing’ so you better tell me what your ‘nothing’ is about.” Yong Hwa chided him.

“Fine…” Jong Hyun took a deep breath first before spilling it all out. He looked at Yong Hwa straight in the eye and said. “I think I caught the bug.”

Yong Hwa almost fell on the ground. “The heck are you talking about? What bug?”

“The one that you have! The one that Eun Hye has!” He began to pace back and forth.

“What in the world are you talking about? Eun Hye and I are not sick.” Then he closed his eyes. “Can you please stop walking around? You’re giving me a headache.”

Jong Hyun stopped then turned to face him and suddenly blurted out, “I think I’m in love.”
“In love?” Yong Hwa was startled.

“Yes, I am in love.” He stepped closer to his friend. “I think this is real…I think she’s the one.”

“So…who is this lucky girl that finally got my friend to leave his playboy image behind?”

“I’ll tell you, but you will just laugh.”

“Why will I laugh?” Yong Hwa turned serious.

“Because I know you.” Jong Hyun made a face.

“Not in this kind of situation man.” Yong Hwa honestly said.

Jong Hyun hesitated for a minute before he decided to tell Yong Hwa. “…uri.” He mumbled under his breath.

Yong Hwa leaned closer. “What? Uri?”

Jong Hyun grunted. “I said…Gyuri!”

Yong Hwa couldn’t believe it. “Gyuri? You mean Park Gyuri?”

“How many Gyuri do we both know?” Jong Hyun questioned him.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I just didn’t expect that.”

Jong Hyun noticed something from what Yong Hwa just said. “You didn’t expect what?”

“That you like her too.” Jong Hwa thought out loud.

Jong Hyun blinked. “Did you just say she liked me too?”

Yong Hwa jumped in surprise. He didn’t know he said that out loud. “Huh? What?”

“You just said that she likes me too.” Jong Hyun stepped closer to him all happy and excited.

“No I didn’t.” He denied while avoiding his friend’s eyes.

Jong Hyun watched his friend carefully. “She likes me.” He said in amazement. “She really likes me!” He started jumping and punching his fist in the air.

Yong Hwa cursed under his breath. “Wait Jong Hyun!”

Jong Hyun turned around to face him. “She likes me. Don’t deny it!”

“Fine…She likes you! Happy now?” Yong Hwa gave up and just affirmed the statement helplessly.

“Okay, all I need to do is ask her out, then tell her I love her.” Jong Hyun was already planning what he would do next.

“Wait…please don’t tell her I told you. She will kill me!”

“Maybe I should tell her. I want to see her try to kill you.” Jong Hyun grinned widely.

Yong Hwa threw his shoes at Jong Hyun. “You even dare call yourself my friend!”

“I was just kidding…sheesh.” Jong Hyun wriggled his eyebrows.

“Well, I’ll see you at the Christmas Party then.” Yong Hwa waved.

“Yeah. See you my friend!”

Both of them jumped in their car and drove away planning their next move.

 

~ TCK ~



Gyuri arrived with Jong Hyun at the Christmas Party and Eun Hye witnessed this from the other side of the room.

She watched Gyuri scan the area as if she was looking for someone and when their eyes met among the crowded ballroom they both smiled at each other. Gyuri waved at her and started walking towards her direction.

“Eun Hye! Merry Christmas!” Gyuri smiled happily. “Wow, they went all out this year. This is a nice Hotel for our Christmas party.”

“Well, Merry Christmas to you too.” Then she pulled her closer and whispered. “Did my eyes really see that? You’re with Jong Hyun?”

Gyuri giggled and whispered back. “He asked me yesterday if he could pick me up. And of course I said yes, then he came earlier than the original plan bearing chocolates and flowers. Then he confessed to me!”

Eun Hye’s eyes gone big. “Oh my gosh!!! Really?!”

“What are you ladies giggling about?” Jong Hyun leaned forward in between them.

“Nothing.” Gyuri shyly answered.

“Isn’t she cute?” Jong Hyun pulled Gyuri closer to him and hugged her then said. “She’s mine.”

Eun Hye chuckled. “You can have her, but you have to lend her to me time to time.”

Jong Hyun pretended to think about it, then agreed. “Fine…only as needed.”

Gyuri was totally red all over while Eun Hye laughed out loud with the ‘PRN’ jokes.

“What’s going on here?” Yong Hwa interrupted them.

“Oh nothing.” Jong Hyun shrugged. “We were just discussing that there’s a big igloo by the door.”

“We were not…but yeah, that is one big igloo.” Gyuri observed.

“Yong Hwa…” Eun Hye touched his shirt. “You know they are going out now.”

“Oh, wow. He actually did it.” Yong Hwa was proud of his friend.

“You know about this?” Eun Hye chuckled.

Yong Hwa smiled guiltily. “Yeah, he mentioned something about that couple of days or so ago.”

“Well, they make a good couple.” Eun Hye turned her attention to the new happy couple. “I’m glad they really like each other.”

Eun Hye felt some burning feeling on her side and when she turned around she saw Yong Hwa studying her.
“Is everything okay?”

“Well…” Yong Hwa looked around and noticed that the room started to get full. “Can we go somewhere quiet?”

“Sure.” Eun Hye was a bit puzzled.

“Okay, let’s go.” Yong Hwa offered his hands to her and she took it. He led her outside the ballroom.
Eun Hye noticed how nervous Yong Hwa was and his hands were cold and sweaty.

“Are you okay Jong Hwa?” She asked while she pulled his hands to get his attention.

Yong Hwa let go of her hand and wiped his sweaty hands on his pants. He was pacing back and forth while scratching his head twice.

“Hey, is everything alright?” Eun Hye walked closer to him and touched his shoulder. “Hey, whatever it is…everything will be fine.”

Yong Hwa exhaled loudly and looked at her. “Yoon Eun Hye.”

She answered back. “Yes, Jung Yong Hwa?”

“Well, we’ve known each other since High School.” He started.

“Yes, we have.” She waited patiently to where this conversation was heading.

“Well, then we were friends in College too…until you moved away for your internship in New York that is.”

“Yes…” She frowned. “What’s going on?”

“Let me just finish…” Yong Hwa nervously said.

“Okay then.”

“Well, I want to tell you something.” Yong Hwa started.

Eun Hye acknowledged it with a nod.

“I like you.” He finally revealed. “Listen to me first before you say anything.”

Eun Hye was just staring at him which made him more nervous.

“I’ve liked you the moment I saw you back in High School.” He confessed. “But when I finally had the courage to tell you I learned that you started going out with Jae Wook.”

“Then when I heard you broke up with him it was too late. I started going out with someone.”
Eun Hye was listening attentively.

“When we were in college, I broke up with my girlfriend, but then you told us you liked someone else and ended up going out with him.”

“We always had some bad timing.” Eun Hye whispered.

“You are right…” He agreed. “Then you moved to a different state. I actually gave up that we will be together.”

“I see.” Eun Hye looked down the ground.

“But then…When I saw you about two week ago. In our staff room, as you were introduced as the new Attending Physician, I knew that this is the right time.”

Yong Hwa stepped closer to her.

“The moment our eyes met, I felt that same electricity from back in high school run through my body all over again. It woke me up again. That amazing feeling. You…You’re the only one who could do that to me.” He disclosed to her.

Eun Hye felt tears running down her cheeks.

Yong Hwa moved closer to her and reached out and held her hands. “I told myself that this is my time. And I will tell you what I really feel. That…this is real.”

Eun Hye touched his face gently without saying a word.

That touch gave him more courage than ever.

“Eun Hye…” He went down on one knee. “I love you.” He finally confessed. “Will you stay by my side forever?”

Tears started rolling down her face non-stop. “Yes…YES!” Eun Hye bent down and hugged him.

Yong Hwa stood up without letting her go. “Really?!”

Eun Hye laughed so hard. “Yes! Really!”

“There’s no take backs okay?!”

“Yes, yes…no takes back. So, stop talking and just kiss me already!” Eun Hye ordered.

Yong Hwa bursted out laughing. “Yes ma’am! Your wish is my command!” Yong Hwa moved his head down for another kiss. This time it was a deep, long, knee bending kiss that she always imagined.

 

~ End ~

 

Comments are Welcome!

Please let me know what y'all think.

I wrote this for the AFF(Asianfanfiction.com) Advent Calendar

The reveal date is today.  I thought it was yesterday. LOL.

So, thank you for subscribing and reading!

I was inspired by YEH's Drama MHIYD