Melting the Guard

Shattering Tainted Hearts

C h a p t e r F O U R
Melting the Guard

________________________________________________________________________________________

-Hyun Joong's POV-

I was out on the streets alone that night, walking aimlessly amongst the bright city lights. The city lights blind me, and its scapes, they lure me. I came upon a crowded road junction. Sometimes, I pray people just keep a distance. When people are near, their laughters are loud, their chatterings are loud...

Their heartbeats are loud.

As I walked on, sounds of chattering and laughters blasted into my ears. The world is too bright tonight, with so many couples walking down lanes, their hands interlocked. A strong chilly gust of wind greeted the night air and pricked my skin. I realized I was only in a thin collared shirt. My sole accessory was my necktie, I had forgotten where I left my overcoat. Yet I looked around, couples were cuddling each other, shielding each other from the cold.

I walked on, looking towards the night sky above the tall commercial buildings, where.. where was the thing I was trying to find?

I noticed the stares of some girls on me, but noticing is a thing, bothering is another. After she left, I told myself I would have no problems living the rest of my life. It was just a small hiccup, Kim Hyun Joong's a Luster, losing a girl will not cost him anything.

It merely cost him his heartbeat.

Heavy footsteps lead me down lane after lane. Many things have stopped, but the world still continues. Those interlocked hands all around me..

***FLASHBACK***

"Hae Eul-ah," I said, hesitant, "how should I..."

"Hmm?" she tilted her head and looked at me as we walked down the pavement bordered with maple trees. She had beautiful eyes.

"I.." I bit my lower lips. Gently, I hovered my left palm over her right one and drew it close to hers. Our fingers touch, and I thought it was the time. I placed my fingers into the gaps between hers and our palms touched each other.

She figured out what I was trying to do. She was shy. I smiled to myself as I held her hand tightly. I could feel heat rising up my cheeks, and saw her face was already flushed.

Unplanned, we both giggled to ourselves at the same time as we turned our faces away from each other. "Hae Eul-ah.."

She didn't reply me, instead, she gently swung our arms back and forth. The autumn wind blew past us, but our hands remained warm.

This was all I wanted to protect.

***END OF FLASHBACK***

I looked at my hands now, they had been empty for so long. I could almost feel her hand in mine again. It was my fault, really. It always has been.

Unknowingly my thoughts led me into a deserted alley. It was much darker here; and much, much quieter. Dark places are cool, because I do not need to adjust to it.

-END OF POV-

Hyun Joong walked deeper into the alley, with half of his head thinking of something unbeknownst except only to himself. That alone, caused his guard to be lowered. It was already too late when his instincts nudged him. There were already footsteps heading towards his direction.

"HEY!" someone shouted as he turned back. There were eight men and they sure did not look like ordinary people. One of them had a scar across his left eye, three of them were heavily tattooed, and all were armed. "YOU!" what worst, they sure had a clear target. The eight men draw closer to him, cornering him into the alley. Then, it struck to Hyun Joong that the alley was a dead-end.

Hyun Joong remained calm, "Who are you?" he shouted.

"Your worst nightmare," one of them said. The others snickered as they withdrew their weapons.

Hyun Joong touched his chest for his knife. "Overcoat," he whispered to himself. His sole weapon wasn't with him. He swallowed hard, looking at his opponents as they gradually drew near.
________________________________________________________________________________________

-YOUR POV-

I was coming down the spiral stairs when I saw Jung Min coming up. He caught my eyes, because his dressing was different. He was in a semi-translucent black shirt that was tight-fitting, it exposed his well-built body. His dark reddish-bronze hair was gelled such that it stood like a burning flame. He looked at me for a moment, it was a dashing gaze.

"Good morning," I greeted. But maybe he isn't so different afterall. He looked away on purpose, slightly nodding his head, before he turned away from me totally. I sighed and walked down the steps.

"Hey," suddenly, he called. I turned to him, just to confirm if it was really me he was calling.

"We won't be going to the den today," he informed me non-chalantly, because walking off again.

*

Since I had time at the manor today, I thought of exploring the place. In the past months I've been here I've yet to visit every corner of the house. I remembered my encounter with two residence of the West Quarters last night, and was interested to see what the West Quarters was like.

There was just one problem, I didn't really know how to get there.

"Hyobi-sshi!" I was strolling in the Garden that was in the middle of the manor. Uncle Kim said all North, South, East and West Quarters surround it. Therefore I guess it should lead me somewhere. I turned around and saw the protector Young Saeng call out to me. Ah, indeed I have reached the West.

"Young Saeng-sshi?" I smiled as I walked over.

"What are you doing here?" he asked after giving me a bow that was unnecessarily big.

"Oh, I was just wondering around to see if I could spend my time..is this the West Quarters?" I looked at the gigantic glass door that was behind Young Saeng. The door lead to somewhere indoors -- a corridor with splendid paintings and chandeliers.

"Yes, it is," Young Saeng smiled.

I looked upon the West Quarters for the first time, it stood six storeys tall and about a dozen room wide. It was as beautiful as the rest of the manor.

*

We were sitting on a patio bench just outside the entrance to the West Quarters. Young Saeng and I have spent two hours here chatting our time away.

"So..is Mi Hye..alright?" I accidentally touched on the topic.

He looked away immediately as he shrugged his shoulders. "Why don't you talk to her about it?"

"About what?" he asked.

"How you feel?"

He smiled slightly to himself, "as I've said, it really won't make a difference."

"But she knows you like her.."

Young Saeng smiled again as he shook his head.

"She doesn't?"

He shook his head again.

"Then well, all the more to tell her, isn't it?"

"Have you been in love before?" he asked me, I was taken aback. My mind raced to Hyun Joong, I don't know why. He wasn't back the whole night, Kyu Jong as well, I was starting to worry.

"No," I hesitated, "I guess."

"Then you don't know what it's like. Mi Hye loves Jung Min-nim, you see. So her heart edges to him no matter what happens. And it's great to see her smile. Her smile that only Jung Min-nim can summon."

"But Jung Min-sshi.."

"He'll never love her," he nodded, "I know, I know."

"Well, I believe love is something that occurs forever. If you love someone I guess you shouldn't hesitate to express your feelings. Instead you should do all that you can to protect the love. Love is something you have to fight for.. Love-"

I was caught mid-sentence when Young Saeng suddenly stood up and turned behind. "Jung Min-nim," he greeted as he bowed one of his exaggerating bows again. This time, it was much much lower than ninty degrees. It was like probably a hundred and thirty.

I shot up from my seat and looked where Young Saeng was directing. There I saw Jung Min, standing by the glass door of the West Quarters. His eyes looked at us. He nodded to Young Saeng.

"Jung Min-sshi.."
________________________________________________________________________________________

-your thoughts-

I was at the lounge in the late afternoon after visiting the West Quarters. I gradually notice more and more things with each passing day. I realized that the whole manor indeed surrounded Uncle Kim and his successors. I remembered the respectful eyes that glanced at Jung Min as he entered the West Quarters just now. The weirdest part was that there wasn't fear in their eyes, just a great deal of respect.

That means that they're nice then?

-end of thoughts-

-END OF POV-

Extravagantly dressed as Jung Min always was even in the manor, he was seen proceeding up to his room that evening, passing the lounge where he caught a glimspe of Hyobi.

-Jung Min's POV-

***flashback***

"You should do all that you can to protect the love. Love is something you have to fight for."

***end of flashback***

Something you have to fight for and protect? I withdrew my left hand and checked the time. Soon, it'd be night again. Love isn't something you can fight for, lest to say protect. What if you fought for it, obtained it, but it slips off your grasp still? What if that love was just not yours to protect?

Love just left. Like a flood it came, and a hurricane it left. It swept everything away. No, not everything. It left behind pain.

As love faded and the pain grew stronger, I'm starting to doubt whether the past was real. Did I really love before? Or was it all a dream?

How does love even feel like?

I went into my room and walked towards my study, my ebony desk stood on a platform near all my built-in bookshelves. Taking a seat on the cold hair leather armchair, I opened the drawers of my desk and withdrew a thick maroon file. I set it on the desk and opened it.

Yes, I have loved before.

In that file which was as thick as my arms, were many many memories. Each paper filed recorded the history of Hee Ryun.

I pulled out my hole-puncher after I withdrew the folded newspaper article from my pockets. I unfolded the article and punched two neats holes into its side. Carefully I filed the article on the top of the stack where all new updates go, reading the title again.

[HEIR TO HOUND PAST GRIEVANCE WITH BLOOD LUSTERS], or so the headlines screamed. "Heir to the notorious secret society gang Dragon Hounds was seen again in the underground, rumours direct his return towards their rival, the Blood Lusters."

I closed that file and withdrew another from my drawer. It was a dirty-green one this time. Pulling out a pen, I put on my glasses and started to study the contents of the file. They were filled with strategies to bring the Dragon Hounds down.

"Hound, otherwise known as Kim Hyung Joon, born in 1987." I scribbled onto a fresh piece of paper.

-END OF POV-
________________________________________________________________________________________

The sun gradually set as Jung Min continued to draft out his plot. After a lonely dinner, Hyobi found herself walking down the corridor linking to the three brothers' rooms once again. She noticed that since Hyun Joong left the night before, his door was left slightly opened. Unknowingly, her legs gradually carried her towards that direction.

-YOUR POV-

Somehow, I entered Hyun Joong's empty room. I did not know if it was his smell or my curiosity that lured me here, but his room was just inviting.

Hyun Joong's room always had a dark ambience, it always made his room seem smaller. I guess his room was meant to be huge, it had smaller hallways linking to smaller areas. He had a walk-in wardrobe, a cosy lounge with a mini-bar, a rather huge toilet, and an open area with a large jacuzzi bathtub built into the ground. I wondered how one guy can make full use of all the facilities here.

As I walked deeper into the room, I noticed that the fallen chandelier and broken instruments were all cleared by the servants. The place was spick and span again. I sat on his bed and took in the fragrant air that filled the air. I smiled to myself.

As I looked over to his desk, I noticed there was a pretty ancient-like book on it. The next thing I knew, I was already bending over that book, lifting up its cover.

The first page was blank except for the words "the Silent Winter Serenade", beautifully written in the middle.

As I flipped to the second page, I noticed that the book I had on my hands was actually Hyun Joong's personal diary. I was unsure if I should continue invading his privacy. But I wasn't really given an option when I heard a loud bang from the ground floor.

It was the banging of the main entrance door. This would only mean either Hyun Joong or Kyu Jong was back.

I immediately left Hyun Joong's room and ran down the spiral stairs without much care. I dashed past all the corridors and hallways until the main entrance was in sight.

It was Kyu Jong who returned. A drunk Kyu Jong.

I noticed that the banging of the door should have been rather deafening if it reached Hyun Joong's room. It was rather impressive.

Kyu Jong walked into the manor in a spiral fashion. His face was red and the alcohol in his veins made him unsteady. He swayed to each side with every step, his hand holding on to his heavy head as he fought to gain balance.

He collided into the wall tripping over his own feet and that made quite a big impact to his head. He clutched onto it and looked up, wanting to find out who hit him that hard.

It was then he saw me. He clutched onto his stomach with a pained expression on his face. He trembled.

Just then, a figure appeared and grabbed onto my wrists. It was Jung Min, he suddenly took off in a very fast speed, dragging me along with him. He was running in the opposite direction of where Kyu Jong was, "Jung Min-sshi! Where are you taking me?" I asked in alarm.

With a speed I couldn't really catch up, we literally flew through the hallways and corridors I came from a moment ago. It was only at the spiral stairs that he slowed down a little, I guess he didn't like the idea of waiting for me if I fell.

We continued in a running speed once the stairs stage was done. He brought me towards his room, I didn't have enough energy to ask why. I realized that the force he used to pull me was great, because even if I couldn't keep up, I was still surging forward.

He kicked his room door open and flung me in, shutting the door behind him immediately. I found my foothold again and stared at him when I heard the doorlock clicked. "Jung Min-sshi! Why did you bring me here?!" I asked breathless. He looked at me for a moment before he took time to pant heavily, desperate for energy. I was trying to regain my breath as well.

Perhaps it was because he had bigger lungs that it took him a shorter time. "What did you think you were doing?" He asked me in disbelief.

"I wasn't doing anything? Kyu Jong's back, he's drunk!" I muffled, my breath gradually stable.

"You really shouldn't be there at that place, at that time!" Jung Min exclaimed, contemplating on how dumb I probably was.

"I don't understand what you're talking about," I answered, genuinely puzzled.

Jung Min sighed, "Kyu Jong is not safe to be near to when he's drunk. You remember what happened the other night, don't you?"

That day resurfaced back into my mind. The day Hyun Joong dressed my wounds, and the night before.

"He's in a really unstable mood right now, so just let him be on his own."

I nodded.

Jung Min sighed again, "you may stay here until he's back in his room. Give him half an hour at least." With that he walked past me went to his own tasks.

I looked around his room, this was the first time I've stepped into it. Jung Min's room had the same regal theme as his brothers', only that his was just a little brighter. Like Hyun Joong's room, it was also filled with fragrance. It was a different kind of fragrant though, it was a unique one. To a certain extent, I think it smells softer than I expected from him.

There were many beautiful paintings on his walls, each magnificently framed with golden frames. I made an assumption that these paintings were all done by himself, they fitted his exquisite wallpapers perfectly. Jung Min had retreated to his study, sitting on his sofa as he read a book comfortably.

He must have sensed my awkwardness, for he patted the empty space beside him and directed me over. I sat beside him and he didn't care more.

I spent the next 30 minutes staring around the room, from his desk to the tall bookshelves; the empty fireplace reserved for winter; the luxurious curtains and carpets; the chandeliers and lightings; and of course, him himself.

I have to admit he's a little different today. Okay, there is quite a big difference. But I guess I liked him better this way. His eyes remained on his book and my eyes remained on him. It was so for half an hour until he put down his book and looked at me. I immediately pull my glance away. "30 minutes is up," he said simply.

He probably wasn't comfortable in my presence, and I could understand that. "I'll take my leave now," I told me as I got up, "thanks so much." He was more than happy to send me out. He unlocked the door as I walked out. "Thank you," I expected him to nod and closed the door, but instead he walked out with me. I guess he was probably going to get a drink, so I walked my own way. It was not long later that I realized he was following me. I looked at him with confusion.

"Your room is just down the corner," Jung Min said as if I was unaware.

"Uhh, yes," I replied awkwardly, "umm, you can go back now.."

"It's just a short distance," Jung Min said in return as he walked on stubbornly. I was really grateful to him, he must be worried that Kyu Jong might come out.

We were almost to my room when we heard the main entrance door shut itself again. 'Hyun Joong', the two words resounded in both our minds. I looked at Jung Min and he nodded, confirming the same thought. Together, we changed coursed and proceeded downstairs instead. Great, Hyun Joong's back.

When we came out of a hallway, we caught sight of Hyun Joong at the door. He did not walk forward, but continued to stay there. There was nothing wrong with him. Well, nothing except him being covered in blood and the few gashes on his flesh; not to mention his clothes were also slightly torn and bruises marked his skin. The corners of his mouth were swollen from a hit and he had a slight blue-black on his left eye. Both his eyes were half-opened as he pulled a stare at the two of us. He was slightly crouching.

Jung Min gasped as soon as he saw Hyun Joong and immediately ran towards me. I ran along. "Hyung! Are you alright?" Jung Min exclaimed a little too loudly. Hyun Joong let loose the knife he was grasping tightly on his right hand and it collided onto the ground. I reached him a little later than Jung Min did.

"Hyun Joong-sshi!" I called. His energy slowly depleted as the pain he felt dragged him into unconsciousness. He collapsed onto Jung Min, staining Jung Min's white shirt with blood. Jung Min immediately took him into his embrace, "Hyung!"

"Hyun Joong-sshi!" I called again as Jung Min started to turn around. Together, we dragged Hyun Joong back to his room.

Jung Min carried Hyun Joong towards his bed as I scurried for the first aid kit. He forcifully threw Hyun Joong's body on his bed before gently shifting his head towards the pillows. I handed him the first aid kit before dashing into the washroom to get water.

Upon returning back, I saw Jung Min ing Hyun Joong's shirt, and eventually ripping it off. His bare chest was exposed to my view, and so were his abs, and the knife gashes. I put the small bucket of water beside his bed as Jung Min retrieved rolls of cloth. He opened the first aid kit and looked for the necessary equipments.

"No, it's not here," Jung Min spoke as he got up.

"Is it this?" I offered him the antiseptic ointment.

"No," he walked over to Hyun Joong's drawer and fished out a bottle of liquid. He came back and sat beside Hyun Joong, soaking a piece of cloth with the liquid. He hesitated for a few seconds before he pressed the cloth on Hyun Joong's chest, over his wounds.

Hyun Joong's body suddenly jerked up as he screamed in pain, collapsing onto Jung Min again as he panted. My heartstrings pulled and my heart pricked. "What is this thing?!" I asked Jung Min worriedly.

I saw that Jung Min could feel his brother's pain as he supported Hyun Joong's weak frame. He hesitated again as he turned over the cloth and pressed it onto Hyun Joong's back this time. Hyun Joong let out another scream, his voice was weaker this time and it quiverred. "This is to make sure that no poison spreads into his veins," Jung Min explained with a pained voice.

"Poison?" I asked as I watched Jung Min give every wound of Hyun Joong's the same treatment. Hyun Joong didn't scream anymore, he only winced everytime he contacted the liquid, it was like he was gradually getting used to it.

"Not everyone is upright all the time," Jung Min replied, "most weapons are soaked in poison."

After Jung Min was done, he took another cloth and dipped it in water before cleaning all the blood away. It was only then that he took the antiseptic to coat his wounds and bandaged them. Slowly, Hyun Joong fell asleep again.

When we were done, Jung Min settled Hyun Joong into bed as I pulled his covers. Jung Min took two spare pillows from the wardrobes and placed them at the two sides of the bed. He was worried that Hyun Joong would hurt himself if he rolled over at night, therefore he wanted to make sure that Hyun Joong would always collide with something soft. I thought that was admirably meticulous.

"Let's go," Jung Min whispered to me as he switched off the lights. I nodded.

It was only when we were out of Hyun Joong's room that Jung Min broke a deep heavy sigh. He seemed as though he was physically and mentally exhausted.

"I'll return to my room now, Jung Min-sshi," I told him with a smile as I turned around and got ready to walk off.

"Hold on," he called, making me stop at my spot.

He didn't look at me, but he asked, "I'm going to take a walk, would you like to come along?"

That was unexpected.

"Oh, uhh, okay," I stuttered, following him down the stairs.
________________________________________________________________________________________

C h a p t e r E N D