Choosing.

I Choose You

 

"

 

Sungjong emptily gazed at the night stars. He always loved to watch the stars every night. But tonight was an exception. He didn’t feel the happiness that he always felt every time he watched the twinkling stars. That night, he felt empty; so empty. He was in such a miserable state; not physically but mentally.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and huge sigh escaped between his lips. He rejected the call and turned his phone on a silent mode before putting it back into his pocket.

A few minutes later, his phone vibrated in his pocket. He took it out and there was a new text message received. He glanced at the text sender’s name and again, he was sighing. Later, he decided to turn off his phone.

He felt another presence besides him. He looked to his right to find his grinning brother; Lee Sungyeol.

“Dude, stop this game, won’t you? You have the answer already. Why keep finding for trouble when the answer is right in front of your eyes?” Sungyeol spoke. He was sorry for Sungjong but slightly jealous to hear that two girls fought for his brother. But, he felt bad that the two girls are best friends. And he was sure Sungjong did feel bad because of that reason too.

“I don’t know how on earth can I tell them about this. Can they accept it well? I don’t want to ruin their friendship. What do I do now?” Sungjong’s shoulders fell down in confusion.

Sungyeol tapped Sungjong’s shoulder. With a grin, he said, “Be a man, Lee Sungjong.”

Sungjong looked dumbfounded. But a smile came across his face. “Be a man, huh?”

 

‘;’;’

 

Hayoung was walking fast to a cafe, she afraid she’d be late to meet Sungjong. But then she stopped when she saw a girl who also was about to enter the cafe from the opposite direction.

Both of Namjoo and Hayoung froze to see each other. Namjoo’s hand stiffened when she was about to pull the door after seeing Hayoung. She wondered why would Hayoung be here too. Could it be that Sungjong want to see the both of them at the same time?

Hayoung had the same thought as Namjoo. She walked towards Namjoo and motioned her to pull the door open. Without another thought, Namjoo pulled the door opened and entered the cafe first, followed by Hayoung.

Sungjong looked at the two girls who just entered the cafe. He raised one of his hands to the girls and beamed when Namjoo and Hayoung took their seats opposed to each other.

“Thanks for coming today.” Sungjong began as the girls nodded their heads with small smiles.

“Do you finally have your answer?” Namjoo asked carefully as she glanced at Hayoung.

“I do. Actually, I already have it for a long time.” Sungjong confessed.

Hayoung looked shocked and unsatisfied. “Then, why don’t you tell us sooner?”

Sungjong heaved a sigh. “Because it’s hard for me. I don’t want my decision to hurt your pure friendship. I’m not worth it for best friends to fight just because of a guy like me. That’s why I come up with this decision.” He stated.

“What do you mean, Sungjong? You’re not going to choose either one of us?” Namjoo’s eyes widened in shocked.

Sungjong stayed silent. He didn’t want to cause a stir at the moment. He worriedly glanced at his watch.

“Answer us, Lee Sungjong!” Hayoung suddenly became impatient but she tried to control her voice from rising up in front of people.

Sungjong gulped when he saw the young girls’ glares. He was about to speak before a voice spoke before he could.

“Sorry if I’m late.”

Three pairs of eyes looked up to the voice. Sungjong’s gloomy face suddenly lit up to see the person while both Hayoung and Namjoo were flabbergasted with the guest.

She took the seat in front of Sungjong even without getting invited. She looked at Sungjong with a secretive smile.

“So, I’m Kim Dasom, girlfriend to Lee Sungjong. I believe both of you are Jongie’s best friends? Thanks for being Sungjong’s best friends during my absence. I’m sorry if he complains a lot, well he does complain all the times...”

“Kim Dasom!” Sungjong widened his eyes at Dasom.

Dasom unexpectedly held his hands in front of Namjoo and Hayoung, whose eyes had been big. “I’m sorry, Jongie. I’ll make it up for you next time, okay? I’m sure both of you have the same opinion as me, right?” She smiled heartedly at Namjoo and Hayoung as the two best friends forcedly smiled back at her.

The tense and serious atmosphere became easy, thanks to Dasom for her oh-so-innocent-act. She knew what actually happened between those three but she pretended like she didn’t.

“I’m sorry but I got works to finish. I need to take my leave now.” Namjoo got up from the seat awkwardly.

“I just remember that I have extra class to attend less than an hour from now! I-I think I can’t join you guys any longer. S-Sorry.” Hayoung stood up too, her voice was shaking.

“Eh? But I just arrived though and I really want to have a long conversation with you both. Never mind then. I understand that you’re both busy, right? How about a lunch or dinner next time we meet again?” Dasom asked the younger girls cheerfully when she realised Sungjong didn’t react at all.

Hayoung and Namjoo looked at each other before nodding. “Umm, sure.” They answered.

Dasom beamed gleefully. “Then it is!”

“Err, we need to go now. It’s nice to meet you, Dasom-ssi.” Namjoo said to Dasom before leaving.

Hayoung bowed to Dasom and Sungjong before following Namjoo who was already walked out of the cafe.

“It’s nice to meet—well, they’re gone.” Dasom pouted before looking sharply as knife at Sungjong. “Where’s my payment, Mr Lee?” She stuck out her palms at Sungjong.

Sungjong shook his head. “I guess a thanks will do, right?” He rose up an eyebrow.

Dasom snorted. “Tsk. What a cheapass you are.”

Sungjong just laughed at that comment. He surely was in love with this girl though she didn’t know his true feeling towards her.

*I choose you, Kim Dasom.*

‘’