Spring

What becomes of Snow?

I felt something cold and wet fall onto my nose. I looked up into the night sky to see the tiny white specks dotting the sky all around me. I resisted the urge to smile. The first snow. Didn't she always love the first snow? Was it only a dream that I had, or did that day really happen? The day she grabbed my hands and we went running into the empty streets as the snow fell all around us. Everything was so beautiful and pure, a white canvas going on for ages. We painted the streets in our footprints and snowangels. I recall when she threw the first snowball, resulting in the best snowball fight I ever had. Afterwards, we went back inside and she made me some coffe, and hot cocoa for herself. It suited us, our drinks. She was sweet and special, while I was ordinary and rather bitter. But her presence sweetened me and sweetened the days I spent with her. But now, here I am without her. All of my winters without warmth. I shivered as the cold penetrated my skin.

What becomes of snow? I tried to remember the answer...Water, ice, slush? No, none of those worked. Whenever it got too cold for me, she would come close and wrap her arms around my neck and ask, "What becomes of snow?" At first I faltered, giving off all kinds of wrong answers as she solemly shook her head. When I finally was left with nothing else, she would laugh, "You're all wrong! It's spring of course!" And in that moment I was finally warm. She had managed to reach within me and touch my heart. Spring... She was spring. She was what I looked forward to every day and what got me through every night, because I knew that when I awoke I could see her face and hear her voice. She was my spring as I went through the winters of life. And now that she's gone, the winter's are harder. I no longer can see the spring that awaits me and the winter's seem to go on longer than ever. It's so cold...

 

"Hey, are you alright?" I was broken from my reverie by the soft and caring voice of a woman. I finally tore my gaze from the sky to look at her. She was bundled up in a coat, scarf, hat, and gloves. She looked positively cozy carrying two steaming cups of what I assumed to be coffee. "Here. You've been standing here for ages. You must be freezing." She proffered one of the paper cups to me. I streached my hand out tentatively to take it, my cold bare hands grazing her warm gloved ones. "You must really love snow to stand there staring at it for so long." She smiled. I scratched my neck,

"Not really..." Silence fell over us, before I suddenly remembered the cup in my hand. I brought it up to my mouth to take a drink, only to almost spit it back out in surprise, "This isn't coffee!"

"It's not!?" Her eyes were wide, "Oh no! I gave you the wrong one, sorry! Here!" She smiled sheepishly as she traded cups. "Sorry about that... I'm not much of a coffee person... But I had a feeling you might be, so I went for it. It seems I was right." She chuckled as she took a sip of her hot chocolate. I stared at her as I tentatively brought the cup to my lips this time. I could smell the aroma of coffee in the air, so I went ahead and took a sip. I was still cold, but it did help to warm me some.

"So, you don't like snow?" she asked me. I pause as I thought about my answer,

"It's not that I don't like snow... It's just the winter's are often to long for me to handle." She smiled,

"I have a question for you. What becomes of snow?" She posed it so seriously and I stared back at her incredulously. She took my silence to mean that I had no answer. "It's spring!" She laughed as I continued to stare at her in disbelief. "You should remember that, because on days like this where the winter seems to go on forever, you can just remember that once the snow melts, the flowers will bloom and spring will be here again to warm you up. I hope you won't let it get to you too much." I nodded absent mindedly.

"Someone told me that once." I told her.

"Really?"

"Yes, but I had forgotten the answer. So, thank you. Maybe the winter won't be so hard anymore."

"I hope so too, for you're sake. But, its the first snow! Its so gorgeous, we must enjoy it! Will you make a snowman with me?" I frowned at her. "Oh, come on." I remained where I was and she sighed, "I didn't want to have to do this, but you've left me with no choice." She quickly bent down and gathered a handful of snow. Before I could blink she hurled it at me, hitting me right in the chest. I was so startled that I dropped my coffee. She laughed, "You chould have seen your face!" And in that moment I forgot all about the winter, the spring, and everything else that had been plaguing me since she left. All I thought about was the pure white snow and and this girl and her laugh as I bent down to make a snowball of my own.

The cold quickly numbed my hands, but I didn't mind. When our fight ended, we were both cold to the bone and out of breath, our coffee and hot chocolate dropped and forgotten on the ground. I rubbed my hands together, my breath marking the air when I took a breath. She took off her gloves and reached out to take mine, rubbing them between her warm ones. She gasped when we touched,

"You're like ice." I just smiled as she began blowing on them to help warm them. "Why... Why don't I buy you a new hot chocolate? It sounds pretty good to me myself..." She looked up at me and smiled,

"I'd love that." And so she became my warmth, always with me for when I got too cold. And when spring, summer, fall came, she stayed. I drank hot chocolate with her in the winter and walked the cold streets with her, my hand wrapped around hers in the warmth of a pocket. I always asked myself, what becomes of snow? I still remember that it is spring, but then I look at her and remember the beauty of the snow and try to make it last a little longer, so that I can be reminded of the warmth she gives me.

 


A/N: Hehehehe I kinda totally forgot about this story... But yeah, here it is! Its already spring now, but whatever. :P And the title is from Fruits Basket! I guess I had just fiished reading it when I wrote this because it influenced this story a lot... O.o

Thanks for reading! And sorry about the delay! Working on the last chapter of Where Fate Takes Us now!