The Miracle

Miracle in December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Miracle in December

24th December 2012

Setting up the Christmas tree, putting some presents below them, that's what I do before Gui gets here. We promised that we'll celebrate Christmas every year together, at this very apartment. She'll come by after her work, while I took a leave for the day, preparing everything, making sure it will be memorable for her, for us, and waiting for her. Finishing up the Christmas tree with decorations, I look at the time. It's still early. I still have time before I get the stuffs I ordered. I take my coat and walk out of the apartment, deciding to take a walk before getting my orders.

I walk around the streets where we usually go for a walk. Though it's Christmas Eve, some of the shops are still opened. I stop my steps when I heard a puppy barking. I turn to the shop window. The very same puppy that Gui wanted was there.

-Flashback-

"Aaron! Look! Aren’t it adorable?" Gui said, pointing at the puppy that is wiggling its tail and looking at us through the shop window. I turn to look at Gui. Her eyes sparkle while looking at the puppy, as if the puppy is her lover. I don't like it when her eyes sparkle at anyone, or in this case a puppy, other than me.

"Is it more adorable than me?" I asked with this strange feeling inside me. I don't like someone saying me adorable. It's like saying I'm cute, and I don't like that. It sounds so... girl. Saying I'm cute is equivalent to saying I'm a girl. Well, that's what I thought. But seeing Gui saying the puppy adorable and looking at the puppy like that, I can't help asking her that question.

"Yes! Way more adorable!"

Her answer just made me boils. I reach out for her hand and pull her away from the shop.

"Aaron! I want to buy that puppy!" She said, trying to stop me from pulling her away. I'm not stopping. She can't have that puppy and always look at it like that.

"No you can't! You said it's more adorable than me!"

"What?"

I ignored her question and continue walking. I can feel her pace getting faster through our intertwined hands. She stands in front of me, which stops me from walking any further.

She has this grin on her face, which always made me smile too, but this time it doesn't. The strange feeling inside me stops me from smiling. "Aaron, are you perhaps, jealous?"

"Jealous? No!" I answered straightaway, with a feeling that is similar to being caught red-handed. She's still smiling at me after I gave her the answer. I walk pass her without having much thought.

"Hey." She holds onto my hand and stands in front of me again. Her smile is not there anymore. "The puppy is more adorable than you, but you are the most nice, good-looking, handsome person I've ever known."

After she said that, my lips curved up on its own with this assured feeling taking away the strange feeling inside me. She regained her smile.

"Feeling better now?" I nod.

"Let's continue our walk then." She said and pulls me to start walking to the direction away from the pet shop.

"I thought you wanted to buy that puppy?"

"For you, I won't. Having you is enough."

-End of Flashback-

The puppy barks again, and brings me back to reality. The puppy wiggle its tail like it did before when I was with Gui, and having its paws on the shop window, as if it wanted me to bring it home. Knowing that it will be a great surprise for Gui, I walk in to the shop and pay for the puppy.

***

I unlock the door of the apartment and walk in, bringing the puppy with me and also the orders I retrieved earlier. I take out a long red ribbon from one of the bags and tie it around the puppy so that it looks like a gift. I let the puppy wander around as I prepare other stuffs.

I take the bouquet of pink and white roses and put it nicely on the coffee table. Then I take the box of chocolates from another bag and put it beside the bouquet of roses. This should be enough. I look at the time. It's 6PM. I look towards the door. Half an hour more and Gui will be walking through that door.

***

7PM. The apartment remained silent. Only the sound of the cold breeze blowing from the balcony, accompanying the silence. I heard tiny footsteps coming towards me. The puppy came in front of me and stands on two of its feet, its two front paws on my calves. I carry the puppy up, put it on my lap and caress it. I look at the time again. 7:05PM. My tears unconsciously fell from my eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter