Marco Pov

The Tree of Life

“Hey, want to go get something to eat?” Marco smiled. 
It was a tough today, he could see it on Jean's face... it had been too close today.
He wished he had of said something that day, words of hope and love but he knew it didn’t mean anything... he was wrong. 
Because in that moment, lying on the cold, hard and blood-stained pavement, he knew it would have mattered.

~

“Marco... you know I never thought all that much of you really. You were always Jean's lap dog and it was cute but your fighting... below average” she whispered, looking deep into his eyes. 
He never noticed how beautiful her eyes were... the shade was calm, innocent and felt like it belonged to someone who had lived.
It was true of course Annie had lived a life, he didn’t realize how troubled it had been but he knew that it was something wicked and painful.

“But I respected you, because Marco you were real and I... I'm sorry” she looked back at him, her eyes... her eyes?

~

“Don’t worry about me Jean, you need to go” it was a lie, he was scared and knew that if Jean left, he would most likely die. In the scheme of things... what was another life?
If Jean then went out and saved hundreds of lives, what was his worth? 
“I’m not leaving you!” Jean yelled his eyes wet and red. He pulled away from the hand that reached for his. 
“You need to... people are dying. Please Jean” his smile could make anyone do what he wanted... a charm of having freckles, he would often say. 
Marco went to turn away. 
“Jean remember when I told you that you were weak...” he faced Jean now tears running down his face.
”You're so strong and I’m so proud of you” he closed the gap between them and held on to Jean kissing him slowly... the one Jean liked the most.

~

“I don't want you to die without knowing why” Annie in that moment seemed human... her eyes didn’t look cold, they sparkled. 
“You knew about us, I wish I didn't have to do this... I really do” she turned her back to him and raised her finger towards . 
“What did I know?” Marco breathed out; his body shaking... it wasn't the right time.
He still had to tell Jean that he ruined his favourite pair of underwear. 
That when the sun rose on Jean's face his eyelashes were light and long.
His hands were unusually warm and made him feel safe. 
Horse was his nickname. 
He had so much left. 
“We're titans” Annie smiled.

~

“Jean! Jean!” Marco ran to him smiling. Before he would have smashed Into Jean he wrapped his long arms tightly around Jean's waist. A deep shade of red covered his face.
They rarely showed much affection in public. It wasn't their thing.
“I killed one! I did it!” He smiled against Jean's shoulder pushing Jean closer to his body. 
“I'm so proud of you!” Jean laughed.
Today was a new day and it was okay, everything was okay. 
“I love you Jean” he whispered closing his eyes.
“I love you too Marco”