Final

Winter Cold
Please log in to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]When Myungsoo gets a cold...[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]The temperature in Seoul dropped and the skies turned gray. But inside the Park sister's apartment, it was warm and festive - green, red and gold ts in every corner while the delicious aroma of chicken and herbs permeated the air. The older of the two, Eun Hye, stood behind the stove while Hye Yeon busied herself by the dining table.

Both are students of Yonsei University, approximately 27 kilometers away from their home. They are from Incheon but their parents insisted that the sisters rent an apartment when Hye Yeon got accepted, to spend the time travelling for studying. Five days a week they stay in Seoul and every Friday afternoon they leave for Incheon. It has been that way for two years and the sisters learned to be more independent. 

It was a Friday and they would be leaving in a couple of hours.

"Yeonnie, you should learn to cook on your own or Myungsoo won't fall in love with you," Eun Hye teased and sent her sister a playful wink, as she stirred the soup. 

"Huh? I haven't even talked to the guy," Hye Yeon replied, without looking up from the items she was packing. She need not see the glint in her older sister's eyes to know what she was up to.

"Then why are you going to nurse him?" Eun Hye prodded and hid her smile, at her attempt to rattle her seemingly apathetic younger sister. Hye Yeon is like their home during winter - cold in the outside, warm in the inside. 

"Just doing Sunggyu sunbae a favor," was her nonchalant response.

Eun Hye turned sideways and regarded Hye Yeon. She couldn't have denied Sunggyu. It was just her sister's nature to be helpful.

Hye Yeon could feel the heat of her sister's stare but that's all there was to it. She didn't understand really why the guy didn't just go home to have his mother take care of him. But she is not a desperate love-struck female who would volunteer to care for a sick guy just to have his attention. They weren't even friends, merely acquaintances. But it didn't feel right to abandon the sick.

"Guys like girls with natural beauty and will take care of them," Eun Hye imparted, side-eyeing her. Hye Yeon rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, natural beauty," she muttered dryly, shaking her head. She was tired of hearing everyone say it. People are hung up on their own idea of what beauty is that they fail to see the beauty in each and every person. 

"And what does cooking have to do with anything?" Hye Yeon added emphatically, causing Eun Hye to laugh.

 

 

It took Hye Yeon approximately ten minutes to reach his unit - another reason why Sunggyu asked her. They were neighbors. He had already given her his keys and so she let herself in the quiet apartment. She set the bag aside on the floor and changed into the fuzzy slippers she bought with her. 

Once she was standing to her full height, she surveyed the whole interior with a sweeping glance. There were a few articles of clothing, magazines and what-not on the floor and sofa, sparing the coffee table and television set. The living area was connected to the dining area where, fortunately, the table was wiped clean and the chairs tucked neatly underneath it.  The small kitchen area boasted a clean sink and counter space. It was a relief that there was no rodent in sight. A single door refrigerator stood on the corner and it seemed like everything she would need was within reach. Her sunbae told her to feel at home and so she did. She quickly put herself to the task.

The ceramic bowl was still hot in her gloved hands when she carried it to his room - which was the last on the left. The door was slightly ajar. She quietly padded inside his room and set the steaming bowl of chicken soup on his side table, next to the empty glass of water and medicine bottle. 

She was about to get the pitcher when she noticed that the guy was wrapped so thickly, with only his head poking out from layers upon layers of sheets. Worried that he was having chills, Hye Yeon approached the side of the bed, took off her mittens and felt his forehead. It was warm. She then touched his cheek and then neck, just to be certain. He still had a fever but his temperature wasn't as high as she thought. Food and medicine will surely get him back to normal.

'What time should he take his medicine?'

She retracted her hand to check her watch when she yelped and hit the appendage with everything she got. She was about to deliver another blow when a tortured groan had her hand stopping in mid-swipe.

"How can you hit a sick person?" he asked incredulously, staring up at her with bloodshot eyes.

Hye Yeon's heart beat was still going at a fast rate as she breathed out an air of frustration. "Well, mister," she huffed, "if sick person nearly gives me a heart attack, I won't hesitate to inflict damage,"

"You were feeling me up!" he argued, pushing himself from the bed, but his sheets made it impossible for him.

"I was checking your temperature!" she shot back, her cheeks heating up at the audacity of the guy. "You were wrapped like a mummy, I thought you were burning with a high fever!"

That shut him up. For a sick person, he sure had lots of energy to be riled up. And he sure had it in him to make a normal healthy person feel sick. She had never blasted at anyone before. When it appeared that he got nothing else to say, Hye Yeon spun on her heels. She had just made one step when he reached for her hand again. Her right brow arched as she looked over her shoulder. 

"I...I...a... I am hungry," he muttered, gazing up at her with watery eyes, flushed cheeks and disheveled hair.

It was hard to stay mad, even if she wanted to. He was not feeling better so his foul mood was justified. Somewhat. Hye Yeon held her tongue and nodded.

While holding the bowl, she struggled to keep a straight face as he struggled to get into a sitting position. His futile attempts had her setting the bowl down. "Do you need help?" she inquired. It was obvious he needed it but she'd rather ask than risk getting accused once again.

A small smile eased his lips and he nodded. Without another word, Hye Yeon supported his shoulders and back and propped him against the headboard.

Once that was settled, she lifted the bowl and was about to hand him his lunch when he looked at her with wide eyes. 'What is it this time?'

"Is t

Please log in to read the full chapter