1/1

The one who owns his heart

The walk to Chanyeol's house turned out to be so long and painful for Chanyeol and also Baekhyun. There were bruises everywhere on Chanyeol's body, his left eye had begun to swell and turn blue. He was still clutching Baekhyun's shoulder, holding for dear life. His body was aching so painfully he couldn't walk properly.

 

It was such a miracle for Park Chanyeol that Baekhyun picked up his call right on the first ring. He thought he would die at that moment. Chanyeol thought he would never see the sun rising in the morning again. He was barely conscious, if it wasn't for Baekhyun who had rescued him from the park where he was beaten up. The smaller male surely couldn't carry him home due to Chanyeol's giant body. So they just walked home side by side with Chanyeol leaning onto Baekhyun's side.

 

"Stupid Park Chanyeol. You know you're alone yet you still ing messed with them. Are you out of your mind?!" Baekhyun was still furious beside him and he was sorry for making him worry too much. It wasn't like Chanyeol was someone special to Baekhyun, heck he was nobody. He was just a freaking poor neighbour who lived by himself since his childish runaway two years ago. Even if he was such a helpless guy, Baekhyun still cared about him like Chanyeol was his own family.

 

He tried not to flinch when Baekhyun unconsciously stepped on his foot while grumbling words like 'jerk', 'dumbo', and so many profanities that Chanyeol had heard enough for tonight. He didn't mind hearing Baekhyun called him ones names, really, as long as Baekhyun didn't know what his business was, he didn't mind being called one at all.

 

***

 

It all started three or so months ago, before the winter break came. Chanyeol was skipping classes as usual while Baekhyun was already inside his classroom, waiting for Chanyeol to be in class. They had English lit pre-quiz at that time and Baekhyun was tired of waiting. He stomped his feet and sat back on his seat, only to find someone already seated next to him. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, not really familiar with the dark-haired boy next to him.

 

"I'm Park Jaejung," he beamed cheekily and grabbed Baekhyun's hand. "Whoa, such an honour to sit next to you, ByunBaekhyun-sshi. You do look cute like they said." The smaller male was still taken aback but he tried not to give a damn about it. The quiz was about to begin.

 

After the class dismissed, he kept thinking about Chanyeol while the other guy—Park Jaejung—still talked about some other topics Baekhyun hardly cares about. He looked at the animated expression on Jaejung's face, he was nothing like Park Chanyeol. Ah, yeah. They have something in common, maybe they are related, Baekhyun thought as he was fumbling
with his phone. The Jaejung boy stopped his walk in front of Baekhyun's locker and bade him goodbye. He called for Jaejung only to ask about something that had been on his mind since the class was dismissed.

"Are you related to Park Chanyeol?"

The boy said no and Baekhyun waved goodbye at him for real this time.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol was already waiting for Baek in the bus stop. He didn't feel like staying in school until the last bell so he just ran away and sat alone in the bus stop. Well, not really alone. He still had his guitar to accompany him while waiting for Baekhyun. He saw the
guy's figure getting bigger until he stood right in front of Chanyeol.

Then he flicked Chanyeol's forehead.

"Ouch! What the , Baek?!"

"That's for skipping school, you douchebag! How many times should I remind you not to skip school again and again?! You're already in the last grade and now you're going to make them kick you out?! How stupid of you, Park Chanyeol! I'm so done with you!"

Chanyeol had already shut his mouth upon hearing Baekhyun's unusual rage. The bottled-up emotions Baekhyun had for him had finally spilled from his heart. He didn't have the courage to look at Baekhyun in the eyes, let alone talk to him. Chanyeol knew that the smaller male was only worried about him but he didn't expect Baekhyun to be this mad.

The uncomfortable silence only made Chanyeol's heart clench painfully in his chest. He gulped in defeat as Baekhyun still kept quiet but he couldn't hold back anymore. He was never the one to say sorry when they were fighting, but he thought he had to swallow his
pride for this time. "I'm so sorry, Baekhyunnie."

He didn't have a Mom and a Dad who took good care of him like Baekhyun did. He didn't have any brother or sister who scolded him every time he made a mistake. Baekhyun was the only family he has for the past two years, so Chanyeol should at least show his gratitute towards his guardian. "I'm sorry." He said again as he clutched Baekhyun's hands and made a promise. "I will never be a bad boy again."

The next morning Baekhyun was happily walking hand-in-hand with Chanyeol to their first class. Everyone stared at them in confusion as they saw Chanyeol not skipping class today. Not only his attendance that confused people, it was also the way he dressed that couldn't keep everyone’s eyes off of him. They had never seen Park Chanyeol looking so neat and well-mannered before.

"He might be possessed by some devil—," Chanyeol could hear Jongin, the tanned boy, snickered behind his back. The tall boy was about to kick him when suddenly Baekhyun grabbed his hand tightly.

"Don't listen to him, maybe he just want to befriends with you." The smaller boy smiled and Chanyeol nodded absentmindedly. He believed every single thing that Baekhyun said to him, even if it was a bad one sometimes.

Chanyeol sat next to Baekhyun in every class they attended. The neat and composed Chanyeol had made the teachers praise Baekhyun for his effort to tame Park Chanyeol. He wasn't tamed. He just didn't like messing up with Baekhyun's constant raging. It's not good for my health, Baekhyun once said, and Chanyeol would hate himself if Baekhyun was sick because of him.

A week had passed and Chanyeol was still by Baek's side in every occasion. He didn't know that this fact made another boy named Park Jaejung upset. He was that annoying boy who was constantly nagging Baekhyun about how come he befriends Park Chanyeol, the school
gangsta. "He isn't the school gangsta, excuse you." Chanyeol once heard Baekhyun defending him. "You barely know him so quit talking bad about him, Jaejung-sshi."

What irked Chanyeol the most that this Jaejung guy didn't even care about crossing Baekhyun's personal space. He started to snatch Baekhyun's attention everywhere he went. Chanyeol knew he only wanted get in Baekhyun's pants. He didn't really want to befriends with Baekhyun. He didn't care about him the way Chanyeol cared about the smaller boy.

But as Chanyeol lied down on his matress that night, he started to think about the things he had done for Baekhyun these days. Nothing. He had never done anything to Baekhyun since they first met. He was always a burden, turning Baekhyun's school life into chaos. It was always Baekhyun who helped him through his rough times; when he was afraid of thunder, when he was afraid of rain and windy day. Baekhyun was always the one who searched for him when he was lost or trapped in confusion. He was always the one who gave his hands to Chanyeol.

But Chanyeol had never done anything for him.

That was why he didn't mind being beaten up by those thugs who were trying to get back at Baekhyun for sending Park Jaejung to court for stealing the Annual General Examinaton paper in their university. The thugs said they would take their revenge but Chanyeol only
shrugged them off. He had to protect Baekhyun, even if it cost him his life.

But still, his deeds weren't enough to pay Baekhyun's efforts for him all these time. The smaller male still took care of him, making him feel more ashamed of himself for being Baekhyun's burden. He wanted Baekhyun to stop caring about him. He would make him stop.

Chanyeol finally told Baekhyun and he didn't expect the tears that slid down Baekhyun's cheeks. Chanyeol froze in his comforter as Baekhyun slowly made his way towards the door. The taller male was confused by Baekhyun's sudden action. He didn't know that it made
Baekhyun feel bad instead of good. So, he tried to look for the smaller male in the whole neighbourhood only to find nothing. Baekhyun's family said the guy hadn't come home since he was going to find Chanyeol. He forced his broken legs to run after Baekhyun and
what he found after that only made his chest tighten. Baekhyun was circled buy some men that had beaten up Chanyeol before. He didn't have time, he had to rescue him.

So, Chanyeol jumped to save Baekhyun. And he fell right into the knife that jabbed him in the gut.

Chanyeol didn't know what had happened after Baekhyun cried hysterically, begging someone to help him call an ambulance and the police. The taller male blinked slowly as his body became weaker and weaker. The nurse who helped him said he lost so much blood. Baekhyun was silent but Chanyeol could see the tears shimmering on his cheeks. The taller tried to touch the wet trail but he couldn’t move his hand easily.

"Baekhyun...," His voice was only above whisper, but Baekhyun still heard him. He was really sleepy so he might or might not be slurring his words but he just wanted to tell Baekhyun something important.

"Yes, Chanyeol?" He knew Baekhyun was trying to hold his sobs.

"I'm glad that I could protect you this time." And then he became quiet.
 


***
 


"Don't do stupid things again."

"I won't."

"Don't jump carelessly again next time when a bunch of teens are holding knives."

"I'm not that silly, Baekhyun."

"But you are!" Baekhyun hit his upper arm that made Chanyeol groan in annoyance as he felt the pain. The taller male let out a hearty laugh and tightened his hold on Baekhyun'swaist, only to make the boy blush even deeper shade of pink.

"I just love you too much, Baekhyun. That's why." Chanyeol finished his words as he pecked Baekhyun right on his lips, many times.***